Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Are there any goon recommended places online to buy cat towers? I'm looking for something that won't take so much space width/length wise.

And ideally, free shipping... :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

hog wizard posted:

Are there any goon recommended places online to buy cat towers? I'm looking for something that won't take so much space width/length wise.

And ideally, free shipping... :)

Armarkat: http://www.armarkat.com/

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

HandsomeBen posted:

This cat is awesome. I'm going to find out how he ended up in a shelter because I don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of him. I'm going to work on my boss letting me take him to work. He talks about bringing his puppy when she gets old/trained enough.

I'm going to feel pretty terrible leaving him Monday morning but I'll be getting him a cat tree in about a week. Hopefully that and all his toys will keep me occupied.

So when is the honeymoon over? I'm kind of waiting for him to turn into the stereotypical cat but he's exactly the opposite.

Awesome picture, and I'm really happy things turned out so well. We had the same thing with our first cat, we just couldn't understand why anyone would ever want to leave her behind; she's adorable.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to bring him to work though, cats don't really like changes in environment much, and this could be very stressful for him. Give him some time to relax and get used to his new home.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Sumadartson posted:

Awesome picture, and I'm really happy things turned out so well. We had the same thing with our first cat, we just couldn't understand why anyone would ever want to leave her behind; she's adorable.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to bring him to work though, cats don't really like changes in environment much, and this could be very stressful for him. Give him some time to relax and get used to his new home.

Oh I don't think I ever will but I'd like to. I'd say he's adjusted quite well to his new home

He's a big boy

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

HandsomeBen posted:

Oh I don't think I ever will but I'd like to. I'd say he's adjusted quite well to his new home

He's a big boy

Yes, yes he is. Also, if you've only had him for a couple of days, he's adjusting very quickly as well. Awesome! I hope you can rub his belly![theoatmeal] It's like frolicking in the back hair of angels [/theoatmeal].

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Sumadartson posted:

Yes, yes he is. Also, if you've only had him for a couple of days, he's adjusting very quickly as well. Awesome! I hope you can rub his belly![theoatmeal] It's like frolicking in the back hair of angels [/theoatmeal].

I got him Saturday, there really wasn't any hiding or anything. He sticks to me like glue and wants to be in my lap at all times.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
You could actually maybe bring him to work depending on his personality and how he deals with it. I knew a vet tech who took her cat in to work with her every day and he was perfectly ok. Most cats wouldn't be though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

HandsomeBen posted:

He's a big boy

He knows he got a second chance so he's being extra affectionate in appreciation.

I know I'm definitely anthropomorphizing but it seems like shelter animals almost know how good they've got it.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

He knows he got a second chance so he's being extra affectionate in appreciation.

I know I'm definitely anthropomorphizing but it seems like shelter animals almost know how good they've got it.

The thing is that he was fostered with someone from the agency. She told me that he sleeps right next to her at night before I adopted him. I'm assuming someone was moving and couldn't take him because he really is an awesome cat, except for the whole waking me up in the middle of the night. Still working on that. I let him back in my room this morning while I hit snooze a few times and he farted, dear lord in heaven. I'm going to wash my sheets tomorrow.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
So my indoor kitten just hosed a mouse up (hurrah for lovely old rental houses). Should I get him rabies shots or will he be okay?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

So my indoor kitten just hosed a mouse up (hurrah for lovely old rental houses). Should I get him rabies shots or will he be okay?

Shouldn't he already have had one or was going to be getting one in the near future?

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

Played fetch this morning with Shadow! My mind is blown

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So girlfriend and I are trying to figure out why my cat's appetite has dipped (he's eaten about half of his wet food when usually that bowl is clean as a whistle come morning) and the only thing I can think of that's changed is the litter. I also noticed Pompeii smells like a goddamn scented candle now, so I'm thinking that maybe the new litter (really not a "new" litter just like an updated Fresh Step or some such baloney) is messing with his sense of smell. Does this make sense?

Either way I'm headin Sam's Club tomorrow to pick up a big-rear end bag of the old stuff. Yeesh kitty.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

My wife and I are going on a week long cruise this summer, and I have absolutely no clue what to do about our cat. I'm worried to leave her alone, and I'm even more worried to board her. Every boarding facility in the area has terrible reviews, and I'm not comfortable leaving her alone for a full week even though that's what my parents did with our cat when I was younger. Do you guys think it would be OK if we left her at home with plenty of food and water and had a friend check in on her a few times while we were gone?

SunknLiner fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 15, 2011

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
If there is a teenager that you trust then you could bribe them to do it, my parents used to use one of the local dog walking people.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
A week alone is really nothing if it's a more settled down adult cat. Boarding a cat would probably stress the hell out of them from the environment change alone. VS if left at home they just chill out and sleep as usual anyway. Getting someone to check on her every couple of days or something would be fine.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
If you don't have an automated litter box, you'll need to get a friend to scoop their box a couple of times throughout the week. But aside from that, cats do fine when left alone.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
How do I know if I'm feeding my cats enough food? They seem to always be hungry. I've been keeping them on a fixed schedule for a good 1.5 months, feeding them at 8 AM and 8 PM. I keep hoping they'll learn the schedule, but every time I stand up and walk by their food dishes they get super excited and think it's time to eat, and one of them meows like she's about to die if she doesn't eat. They also started jumping up on the counter where I keep their bowls when it's not feeding time...I'm going to put them away in a cupboard so they can't do that.

I am feeding them a full 5.5oz can each of Nature's Variety Instinct (half in the morning, half at night). They are almost 6 months old and about 6 lbs each, so I don't think I should feed them too much more than I already am. The can recommends 1 can per day for every 6-8 lbs of body weight. They eat their food in about 3 minutes flat and lick the bowl clean. It's like they're determined to be fatasses!

weinus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 15, 2011

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

SlipkPIe posted:

If you don't have an automated litter box, you'll need to get a friend to scoop their box a couple of times throughout the week. But aside from that, cats do fine when left alone.
We would always put out a few extra litter boxes if we are away for a long weekend, so the neighbor/friend doesn't have to deal with it. There's not really room for them long term, but for a few days I don't mind an extra box here and there (especially when I'm not there).

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I know this is probably a very stupid question, but I've always heard that sudden behavioral change is usually a bad thing.

Is sudden change a warning sign even when the change is for the better? I adopted Charlie around a year ago from the SPCA, and it quickly became apparent that he was probably abused at his former home. He was extremely skittish, his tale was probably broken once, and sometimes he'd get so scared that he would defecate from fear (vets checked him out, no medical problems).

Over the past year I managed to somewhat rehabilitate him, and he's slowly becoming a regular chill cat.

However, 2 days ago he suddenly changed. He became a lot more playful, and where he would usually spend maybe 10 minutes at a time playing before getting tired of it and taking a nap, he now has the energy to keep playing for over an hour straight. He's become much more affectionate too, and has started demanding lap time, and when I place him in my lap he kneads and purrs for much longer than usual. I know this sounds silly, but this is really unlike him.

I know that these "symptoms" sound great, but there are a couple of other things that I've noticed him doing since Thursday: He's twitching his tail more than usual, his ears are noticeably warm to the touch.

Again, I'm sure that this will look like a really dumb question, but he's changed so suddenly that I just gotta make sure.

He's around 2 years old, eats Royal Canin, he's eating drinking and eliminating normally, and there haven't been any changes to his environment.

please dont laugh at me :ohdear:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
It could be that he's picking up on the scent of other cats outside-- have there been any around that you've seen or heard lately? My cats get the twitchy tail and ears thing when there's a STRANGER!!!! in the backyard.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Abbeh posted:

Is sudden excessive drooling normal with a cat's first time getting fresh catnip? Ford took to it just fine and ate the leaf, but Arthur started drooling a LOT as soon as he sniffed the leaf. As in big droplets of drool oozing out of his mouth.

My cat drools like a beast when he gets catnip. Perfectly normal high behavior.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

Playing fetch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUlX30qeoGI
More to come, they are slow to upload from my phone

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

Good kitty :) Living inner city in an old rental place I get a lot of mice turning up from time to time. Usually the neighbors cat would come in and gently caress them up for me, but since the neighbors cat has decided she wants to loving kill my kitten (its actually her daughter, but since I got them both cut, that maternal instincts been replaced by a pretty brutal "GTFO , duckmonster is ALL MINE you little bitch!" instinct) I've had to keep her out of my house (Now the neighbors cat just stands at the flywire door glaring at the kitty and occasionally throwing herself at the door in anger.) so its up to my 8 month old kitten to keep the rodent numbers down. She's trying but she hasn't quite worked out how to seal the deal when she corners one yet.

With that said you NEED to get your kittens all their vaccinations, and if they are chomping mice , you want to give them a worming tab every couple of months, as mice are loaded with parasites (and possibly yourself too if you have mice in the house being chomped by cats who then rub their rear end all over you in your sleep. Seriously, a *LOT* of humans have worms and don't even realise it.)

Tipsy McStagger
Nov 10, 2008
Any advice for a soon-to-be-a-kitty-owner-goon on protecting leather couches? We rent, and have received permission from our landlord to get a kitty. We're looking at getting a Russian Blue.

There are two leather couches (which are the landlord's) in the lounge room. We'd like to not have to pay to replace these due to kitty claw marks when we move out eventually.

Does anyone have any advice on protecting leather from kittehs while you're away at work during the day?

We're thinking:

1) Providing ample scratching posts in the general vicinity of the couches
2) Covering the leather couches in a heavy-duty throw rug while we're out
3) Clipping the kitty's claws once a week....

Any experience/advice would be greatly appreciated...

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
To protect your sofas (In order)

1. Don't let your kitten where the sofas are unsupervised, he will instinctively know that they are the landlords and go out of his way to gently caress them up
2. Wrap the sofas in tin foil.
3. Provide scratching posts and be sure to get a variety as cats can be picky bastards
4. Get two kittys

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Tipsy McStagger posted:

Any advice for a soon-to-be-a-kitty-owner-goon on protecting leather couches? We rent, and have received permission from our landlord to get a kitty. We're looking at getting a Russian Blue.

There are two leather couches (which are the landlord's) in the lounge room. We'd like to not have to pay to replace these due to kitty claw marks when we move out eventually.

Does anyone have any advice on protecting leather from kittehs while you're away at work during the day?

We're thinking:

1) Providing ample scratching posts in the general vicinity of the couches
2) Covering the leather couches in a heavy-duty throw rug while we're out
3) Clipping the kitty's claws once a week....

Any experience/advice would be greatly appreciated...

Another good thing is to arrange them so that they are up against walls. We have three cats and had a leather sofa for 7 years. The only claw issues we had were from when we had the sofa arranged in the middle of the room, the cats would try to jump onto the back from the floor and wouldn't always quite make it, leaving their hind claws scrabbling against the couch.

mango time
Feb 20, 2008

HandsomeBen posted:

Playing fetch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUlX30qeoGI
More to come, they are slow to upload from my phone

Haha, that is awesome. My cat taught himself how to play fetch last week and now it is his favourite thing to do. Sometimes he attacks my feet if I don't throw it for him. I thought he was just a weirdo. Is playing fetch common for cats?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
My cat loves me to throw crumpled up pieces of paper, but he doesn't bring them back to me. He just runs towards it, freaks out at it for a little bit, and then stops and waits for me to come pick it back up to throw again.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

SlipkPIe posted:

My cat loves me to throw crumpled up pieces of paper, but he doesn't bring them back to me. He just runs towards it, freaks out at it for a little bit, and then stops and waits for me to come pick it back up to throw again.

I have two friends who both have cats that play fetch too.

Mine will freak out on it sometimes and I think he's done, then I hear him drop the ball behind me 10 minutes later. The only problem is he wants to play at 3am now so I have to throw it and close my door.

Last night was especially rough because I ran the dishwasher for the first time and it freaked him out a little. Every time it made a noise he would sit up in bed like he was on guard duty.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

nyxie posted:

Haha, that is awesome. My cat taught himself how to play fetch last week and now it is his favourite thing to do. Sometimes he attacks my feet if I don't throw it for him. I thought he was just a weirdo. Is playing fetch common for cats?

My tuxedo cat plays fetch all the time. He only does it with plastic take-out drink lids, though (I throw it like a frisbee and he likes to catch them out the air). If he doesn't drop it in my hands then I just have to ignore him for a minute, and he'll keep dropping it closer until I play again.

His littermate brother refuses to play fetch, and acts more like a 'typical' cat, however. It may be a dominance thing, since the fetcher is also the one in charge most of the time.

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe
I dated a girl who moved in with me who told me "my cat like to fetch" I was like oh cool. Then I was friggin shocked how much this cat loved it. I woke up the first day after I played fetch with the cat and it had gotten all the bottle caps/wadded up receipts in the house and put them on my chest as a hint.

Friggin awesome. drat I wish I still had that cat, part marble tabby part siamese it was just gorgeous and smart.

Tipsy McStagger
Nov 10, 2008

RheaConfused posted:

Another good thing is to arrange them so that they are up against walls. We have three cats and had a leather sofa for 7 years. The only claw issues we had were from when we had the sofa arranged in the middle of the room, the cats would try to jump onto the back from the floor and wouldn't always quite make it, leaving their hind claws scrabbling against the couch.

Thanks Medusula and RC....

The couches are both 'back to the wall' - so the front and sides are exposed. We're going to toss a heavy duty throw rug over each of them while we're out and about, which, combined with the nearby cat scratching post, should hopefully avoid any damage. We'll have toys for kitty to stay amused - fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a solo kitty, would love two, but we're renting, and the landlord only grudgingly allowed us the one kitty (it was a close call). Two kitties is going to be pushing our luck.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
My cats don't intentionally claw the furniture, but the one is a complete klutz and fucks up all her jumps, and ends up scrabbling up the sides of the furniture and tearing the poo poo out of the top of the sides. Best advice I can give if you end up with a situation like that is to just make sure you keep their claws well trimmed. And for the love of god, do NOT declaw them!

Tipsy McStagger
Nov 10, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

And for the love of god, do NOT declaw them!

I would rather cut off the tips of my own fingers than ever declaw a cat!

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
What do you guys think of Soft Claws?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

SlipkPIe posted:

What do you guys think of Soft Claws?

These are a-ok. However not all cats will tolerate them and will actively chew them completely off. They're great otherwise and a lot of people here use them.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Cassiope posted:

Armarkat: http://www.armarkat.com/

Armarkat is AWESOME. I got one of their on-sale trees and it withstands my two beasts running up an down it at full speed. They love that thing so much.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!
My Pooka plays fetch all the time-he gets so indignant if I don't throw the toy for him AS SOON AS he brings it back. I thought he was just a total freak-good to know there are other freak-cats out there like him!

The one thing that has been going on lately that is driving me crazy is his tendency to go into the fridge EVERY TIME I open it. He can be lured out with treats or stinky cat food in a can, so it isn't a big deal, but still a bit irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I bought my kitty feather on a string after he hosed up the feather on a stick I'd had. He loves his new toy so much that he just flings himself around with no consideration given to the landing portion of his attack plan. The number of times I've said, "jesus christ, Figaro, what the gently caress are you doing?" since Saturday is staggering. Not that it stops him. Must. Fly.

Anyway, he's a long haired cat and I've never had one of those before. Is it pretty common for them to overheat when playing? He pants a bit when he's being going at warp speed for a bit. His vet check-up was about two weeks ago and they said his heart sounded good so I'm not assuming it's a health related issue but you never know.