Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

Freshly washed. Wheels still terrible:

Will be getting it fully detailed next week and will post some better pictures then. Took a coworker for a ride today and he mentioned he'd never been in a vehicle where he was physically unable to move from his seat while accelerating.

A trick I learned in a Maserati is to put a $100 bill on the dash and tell the passenger if they can reach forward and grab it while you're accelerating, they can keep it. After riding in my best friend's new Z06, I'm pretty sure you could do the same trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

Took a nice ride down to Point Loma this weekend.

See, this is what I hate about Europe - the Tesla would be about €120K here, which translates to over $170K at the current F/X rate. What the gently caress?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

quote:

I normally actually like Halo ring lights (I had some on my old civic ) but, the incomplete circle of it on this just looks off to me. Other than that, I really like your car
Halo lights only look good on BMWs. :colbert:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I probably posted this over in the Saab thread, and I'm not exactly an AI 'regular' but here's me in our still-relatively-new-to-us 2000 Saab 9-3SE

It has its issues, but it's still pretty much awesome.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Muffinpox posted:

Insurance on Evos is also brutal at 18, a kid at my college who was a freshman in '07 had a brand new 9 MR and said it was almost 5k/yr to insure.

This is true, at uhh, 22 or 23 or so, my 9 MR was 3400/year in Boston.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

I probably posted this over in the Saab thread, and I'm not exactly an AI 'regular' but here's me in our still-relatively-new-to-us 2000 Saab 9-3SE

It has its issues, but it's still pretty much awesome.

That is a brilliant car. Why don't you post the current issues in the SAAB thread and give it a kick? My last post about the pre-Trionic new-to-me beast seems to have killed the poor thread entirely. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr.Peabody posted:

A trick I learned in a Maserati is to put a $100 bill on the dash and tell the passenger if they can reach forward and grab it while you're accelerating, they can keep it. After riding in my best friend's new Z06, I'm pretty sure you could do the same trick.

That story is older than the internet.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That story is older than the internet.

I heard they used to do it on test drives of the Viper. I'd be willing to bet it works though.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Comrade Flynn posted:

I heard they used to do it on test drives of the Viper. I'd be willing to bet it works though.

That's because most people who were interested in the Viper had their spine fused a decade before the test drive.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Viggen posted:

That's because most people who were interested in the Viper had their spine fused a decade before the test drive.

I think you've confused the Viper with the Corvette.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Comrade Flynn posted:

Some car show tested it with a TVR a long time ago, definitely worked.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mr.Peabody posted:

Ok, besides having owned the biggest mistake in my lifetime (yeah, bi-turbo), let's use some math.

The fastest any vehicle can accelerate on a flat surface while depending on friction between the wheels and the road is 1g=9.81/9.82m/s². If you can't reach forward while being under the influence of 1g, you're just scared or seriously invalid - as in no arms.

Fun fact: The fastest a car can accelerate from 0-100 km/h is exactly 3.6 sec. That is if the friction between the road and driving tires is exactly 1.0. That will never happen on common asphalt and available tires. Reality is that the most slick asphalt and the best tires will provide you a friction coefficient at about 0.9. That gives us a min. of 4 sec. 0-100. Anybody that claims otherwise is a drat loving liar or just plain stupid.

A lot of cars (my old somewhat tuned Peugeot V6 included) can manage to accelerate 0-100km/h on the edge of losing friction (spin the wheels). On a FWD reality says about 6-7 seconds (1 gear shift) on a RWD or AWD it's a little better since you shift the down force to the rear while accelerating, but any claim of 0-100km/h below 4.5-5.0s is a drat lie.

I'll take your money from the dashboard.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.

LO Technology posted:

Fun fact: The fastest a car can accelerate from 0-100 km/h is exactly 3.6 sec. That is if the friction between the road and driving tires is exactly 1.0. That will never happen on common asphalt and available tires. Reality is that the most slick asphalt and the best tires will provide you a friction coefficient at about 0.9. That gives us a min. of 4 sec. 0-100. Anybody that claims otherwise is a drat loving liar or just plain stupid.

What?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

LO Technology posted:

Ok, besides having owned the biggest mistake in my lifetime (yeah, bi-turbo), let's use some math.

The fastest any vehicle can accelerate on a flat surface while depending on friction between the wheels and the road is 1g=9.81/9.82m/s². If you can't reach forward while being under the influence of 1g, you're just scared or seriously invalid - as in no arms.

A lot of cars (my old somewhat tuned Peugeot V6 included) can manage to accelerate 0-100km/h on the edge of losing friction (spin the wheels). On a FWD reality says about 6-7 seconds (1 gear shift) on a RWD or AWD it's a little better since you shift the down force to the rear while accelerating, but any claim of 0-100km/h below 4.5-5.0s is a drat lie.

This is either a masterful troll or you need to go back and relearn your understanding of physics.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

LO Technology posted:

Have you ever seen a top fuel dragster?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I really want to see the equations you used to work that out.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Octopus Magic posted:

Have you ever seen a top fuel dragster?

Seriously, they pull like 8g's under acceleration. Here they're going well over 300mph after doing a quarter mile in ~4.5 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tg6RDUFQJ4

And I doubt those guys can reach up and pick a dollar off their dash. :)

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Bought this yesterday

77,000 km Silvia K's with SR20DET, no ABS or airbags, near stock. Just need to swap out the BOV for a proper recirc system.

Should be in Canada within a month, can't decide if I want to drive it from Vancouver to Winnipeg or if I should just ship it.

SHAQ4PREZ fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 16, 2011

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Stealth Like posted:

This is either a masterful troll or you need to go back and relearn your understanding of physics.

Either you're a troll or you need to teach me what I've got wrong. It's a couple of decades since I took my master degree in mechanical engineering. Please tell me exactly what you think is wrong with my post or tell me that modern science has developed a tire that provides a friction coefficient above 1.0

LO Technology fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 16, 2011

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

LO Technology posted:

Either you're a troll or you need to teach me what I've got wrong. It's a couple of decades since I took me master degree in mechanical engineering. Please tell me exactly what you think is wrong with my post or tell me that modern science has developed a tire that provides a friction coefficient above 1.0

Acceleration is not limited to 1g.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

mod sassinator posted:

Acceleration is not limited to 1g.

You need to meet Mr. Newton.

Acceleration is not, but acceleration depending on friction is!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gee, I wonder what dark deals with SATAN Volkswagen had to make to achieve the 2.5sec 0-100kph time of the Veyron?

I know it has launch control, but I had no idea it was demonic in nature.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

KozmoNaut posted:

Gee, I wonder what dark deals with SATAN Volkswagen had to make to achieve the 2.5sec 0-100kph time of the Veyron?

I know it has launch control, but I had no idea it was demonic in nature.

You can do that on a track that provides 1.0 friction between tires and (special) rubberished alphalt. It will never happen on the street.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

LO Technology posted:

You can do that on a track that provides 1.0 friction between tires and (special) rubberished alphalt. It will never happen on the street.

Are you out of your mind? You also had some insane, rambling replies in the mechanical failure thread.

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

LO Technology posted:

Either you're a troll or you need to teach me what I've got wrong. It's a couple of decades since I took my master degree in mechanical engineering. Please tell me exactly what you think is wrong with my post or tell me that modern science has developed a tire that provides a friction coefficient above 1.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lew0nIS2PZk&feature=related

0-320mph in 4.5s

Assuming constant accel (if not constant, then peaks are >than constant)

31m/s^2 = 3g, roughly.

Real life doesn't lie.

(The problem with your analysis is that racing tires are better modeled as adhesion than pure friction)

E: Also, accelerating at 1g continuously gets you to 60mph in ~2.8s, not 4s.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

greenman100 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lew0nIS2PZk&feature=related

0-320mph in 4.5s

Assuming constant accel (if not constant, then peaks are >than constant)

31m/s^2 = 3g, roughly.

Real life doesn't lie.

(The problem with your analysis is that racing tires are better modeled as adhesion than pure friction)

E: Also, accelerating at 1g continuously gets you to 60mph in ~2.8s, not 4s.

You're right. Racing tires and -asphalt doesn't rely entirely on friction. For road cars and road asphalt (entirely friction at my=09 at the best) my calculations still stand.

0-100 Km/h at 3.6 seconds on optimal asphalt and tires (on the road).

LO Technology fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 16, 2011

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

LO Technology posted:

It's a couple of decades since I took me master degree in mechanical engineering.
Yarr :yarr:

You are rapidly becoming my favorite poster here, this 0-60 stuff plus the mechanical failures thread is just fantastic.

Also, assuming a coefficient of 1.0, final velocity (26.8m/s)/ acceleration (9.8m/s^2) = 2.73 seconds to 60mph.

Edit: 0.9 would still be 0-60 in 3 seconds

Edit2: When you factor in downforce from aerodynamics, 0-60 in 2.5-2.6 in a Veyron is totally possible.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 16, 2011

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

LO Technology posted:

You're right. Racing tires and -asphalt doesn't rely entirely on friction. For road cars and road asphalt (entirely friction at my=09 at the best) my calculations still stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIsvoQKspZk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62aEuAPO3NU&feature=related

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LO Technology posted:

I think it's silly to invent things called road cars and road asphalt to try to make a broad pronouncement about acceleration limits.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Just about every post I've seen LO Technology post in AI since he joined has been the dumbest poo poo.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

LO Technology posted:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...KVR5&FORM=LKVR1

"Regular" asphalt, "regular" tires and "only" 300hp.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 16, 2011

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Clank posted:

Just about every post I've seen LO Technology post in AI since he joined has been the dumbest poo poo.

The forums don't give out the stupid newbie avatar anymore, do they? I have to wonder if it's Zordon or another permabanned poster come back to annoy us with his idiocy.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Das Volk posted:

The forums don't give out the stupid newbie avatar anymore, do they? I have to wonder if it's Zordon or another permabanned poster come back to annoy us with his idiocy.

I think they do. I had one, at least.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Imperador do Brasil posted:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...KVR5&FORM=LKVR1

"Regular" asphalt, "regular" tires and "only" 300hp.

Guinness world record is 3.06... really!? I want to rent a porsche 911 turbo or 2012 GT-R and beat it with launch control easily. unless this is somehow limited to a manual car.

RoboFrance29
Jul 28, 2007

Oh man I really have to go the bathroom...why did I have all that beer and coffee and watermelon?

2004 VW GTI, my baby!

edit: new to imgur, less retarded now...

RoboFrance29 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 17, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

RoboFrance29 posted:

2004 VW GTI, my baby!

Your pic. It doesn't work.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

OneStopShop posted:

Bought this yesterday

77,000 km Silvia K's with SR20DET, no ABS or airbags, near stock. Just need to swap out the BOV for a proper recirc system.

Should be in Canada within a month, can't decide if I want to drive it from Vancouver to Winnipeg or if I should just ship it.

Looks great, those 350GT wheels really suit it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Das Volk posted:

This sounds remarkably similar to Blaster of Justice's declaration that acceleration is limited to "x" (where "x" is some made up number coming from someone who thinks he's smarter than you are). That lead to his permaban.

BoJ's post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301210&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post385339096

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Das Volk posted:

Zordon wasn't really stupid, he was just a huge drat liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

LO Technology posted:

Your math is off, 1g=21.93mph. With a 1.0 co-efficient of friction the maximum acceleration is slightly below 3 seconds and there are road tires with above a 1.0 co-efficient of friction. Still, I've neverhad problems sitting forward under accel except when I was in a 6 point.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 17, 2011