Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Holy Crap! I saw today's strip here before checking the site itself, and honestly thought Umbra Dubium had just shopped something to mess with everybody. This is...I did not see this coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Cheshire Puss posted:

Who isn't?

This guy knows what's up.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I wonder how many levels Thog has gained while Roy's been dead. Tarquin's pretty much been spoonfeeding him XP for the past few months and he couldn't have been eating ice cream the ENTIRE time Nale's been scheming

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Maldraedior posted:

I wonder how many levels Thog has gained while Roy's been dead. Tarquin's pretty much been spoonfeeding him XP for the past few months and he couldn't have been eating ice cream the ENTIRE time Nale's been scheming

Yeah, odd that Tarquin is knowingly powering up Thog when he's aware that Thog is one of Nale's lackeys (Thog's in the flashback panel of when Nale tried to overthrow Tarquin). He's smart enough to know that means Nale's around. Which also means we should be keeping in mind that any random characters acting strangely (like that elven ambassador giving dirty looks to V and Blackwing) could be a shapeshifted Sabine.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Are we not being a smigde over-suspicious about this?

He knows who Thog is, yeah. He also runs the city, and if he either wanted Nale found or thought he was about, he'd be found. Heck, worst case scenario he's waiting for Thog to get killed to lure Nale out for a rescue attempt.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Nilbop posted:

Are we not being a smigde over-suspicious about this?

He knows who Thog is, yeah. He also runs the city, and if he either wanted Nale found or thought he was about, he'd be found. Heck, worst case scenario he's waiting for Thog to get killed to lure Nale out for a rescue attempt.

Or to hijack the drama by making his very dear special guest son part of the attraction and milk it for memories, drama, etc...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Post poste posted:

Or to hijack the drama by making his very dear special guest son part of the attraction and milk it for memories, drama, etc...

This.

The only thing more dramatic than a fight to the death against your son is a fight to the death against your sons, plural.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Thog just looks so happy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welp I was entirely wrong and I'm glad for it.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

I didn't think there was any way I could like Thog even more, but that Queen quote just did it.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Where's the leprechaun outfit?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What is it about half orc barbarians that make them so adorable? :3:

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
What the hell is Thog even doing there? Tarquin knows him, and unless he's actually Nale in disguise, keeping him alive makes zero sense.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

What the hell is Thog even doing there? Tarquin knows him, and unless he's actually Nale in disguise, keeping him alive makes zero sense.
Actually, sending him to the Arena makes perfect sense. Either he dies in battle, or he keeps winning and becomes a profitable draw. And either way, he's no threat to Tarquin.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DaveWoo posted:

Actually, sending him to the Arena makes perfect sense. Either he dies in battle, or he keeps winning and becomes a profitable draw. And either way, he's no threat to Tarquin.

Yeah, Thog is a good deal more dangerous than Nale in single combat anyways. Rather a lot more dangerous, and even if Nale is around plotting, keeping one of his more dangerous and loyal lackeys in a place you can watch him and he can make you money is a pretty good idea.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
My only comment is that the Thog reveal is going to require a bit of fiddling to be climatic, seeing as how Roy's handily defeated Thog in the past (and with loving Weapon Spec, no less)

EDIT: And if you'll allow me to nerd out over the rules for a moment, factoring out magic equipment doesn't seem like it'll tip the scales back in Roy's favor too heavily. Thog is only going to have NPC stats while Roy apparently had really loving good rolls (he has high INT and his lowest apparent stat is CHA, which still seems decent).

inthesto fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 16, 2011

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

inthesto posted:

My only comment is that the Thog reveal is going to require a bit of fiddling to be climatic, seeing as how Roy's handily defeated Thog in the past (and with loving Weapon Spec, no less)

EDIT: And if you'll allow me to nerd out over the rules for a moment, factoring out magic equipment doesn't seem like it'll tip the scales back in Roy's favor too heavily. Thog is only going to have NPC stats while Roy apparently had really loving good rolls (he has high INT and his lowest apparent stat is CHA, which still seems decent).

Thog is statted out as a PC. He has Barbarian levels and everything.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

Incidentally this is just the best strip :allears:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

inthesto posted:

(he has high INT and his lowest apparent stat is CHA, which still seems decent).
I thought there was a strip where they said he didn't dump stat CHA?

Maybe that was WIS or INT. I agree anyway, pretty sure he has great stats.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Spiderdrake posted:

I thought there was a strip where they said he didn't dump stat CHA?

Maybe that was WIS or INT. I agree anyway, pretty sure he has great stats.

Shouldn't be WIS or INT, Miko said he had the stats for a Cleric and the Mind Flayer went straight for him over Vaarsuvius.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Is this the first real fight Roy has been in since he was resurrected? I seem to remember him punching a few guys but nothing real big like this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ConfusedUs posted:

Thog is statted out as a PC. He has Barbarian levels and everything.

NPCs have PC classes at anything above first level usually if you want them to be threats. The difference is they have roughly 60% Wealth By Level, though the gap increases as you level higher.

And the entire Order has some pretty amazing stats all around, though Roy probably has the best overall. There are only two people who even dumped stats, Elan dumped INT and Belkar dumped WIS.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

Poil posted:

What is it about half orc barbarians that make them so adorable? :3:

Thog is just a normal orc, isn't he? Therkla was a half-orc, and she could speak normal English and only had fangs on her bottom teeth. (Also, her "disturbing implications" origin story was the best thing ever.)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Zore posted:

NPCs have PC classes at anything above first level usually if you want them to be threats. The difference is they have roughly 60% Wealth By Level, though the gap increases as you level higher.

And the entire Order has some pretty amazing stats all around, though Roy probably has the best overall. There are only two people who even dumped stats, Elan dumped INT and Belkar dumped WIS.

I believe all of the named characters are stated as PC characters instead of NPCs.

Also I love how people still think the stats and game mechanics still mater in OotS. The strip stopped being about those in chapter 2.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Huitzil posted:

Thog is just a normal orc, isn't he? Therkla was a half-orc, and she could speak normal English and only had fangs on her bottom teeth. (Also, her "disturbing implications" origin story was the best thing ever.)

Both the books No Cure for the Paladin Blues and War and XPs as well as the ootswiki lists him as a half orc and I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in the comic as well. The difference in speak is probably because of their difference in mental stats.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Noia posted:

Incidentally this is just the best strip :allears:
thog reluctantly forced to agree!

Ahem.

I'd've guessed that Roy dumped DEX (or at least, didn't raise it above 10), since it seems to be the only thing he's not above average at.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well Roy was dead a year, in which Thog probably gained levels, and in most D&D systems coming back from the dead makes you lose a level.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!

Zore posted:

Pretty sure that V said s/he dumped CHA during the "Elan takes a level in Wizard" story, but you're right, they all must have excellent stats.

EDIT: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0128.html

Stopgap fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 18, 2011

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Paul.Power posted:

thog reluctantly forced to agree!

Ahem.

I'd've guessed that Roy dumped DEX (or at least, didn't raise it above 10), since it seems to be the only thing he's not above average at.

I believe that Burlew has stated that Roy has an unusually low Con score for a fighter.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Donraj posted:

I believe that Burlew has stated that Roy has an unusually low Con score for a fighter.

According to the "Class and Level Geekery" thread, his con score is at least 16, and it's generally assumed that his dump stat is dexterity.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
new!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
The most badass thing about Thog is that he can get hit in the bare skull with a greatsword, and the appropriate sound effect is apparently "CLONK".

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I like Thog, but I hate Nale and don't want him to appear.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Thog says, "Fudge the police".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Thog is probably as happy as he's ever been.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Is what Roy is referencing online or in the books? You read this stripe for years nearly biweekly and you forget the small stuff.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

crime fighting hog posted:

Is what Roy is referencing online or in the books? You read this stripe for years nearly biweekly and you forget the small stuff.

I think that was when Nale disguised himself as Elan.

Edit: just saying, I appreciated the dust that Burlew added in to these arena fights. It makes them look much nicer. Creating a sense of action has always been a problem for his chosen art style, in my opinion.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Thog's adventure with Talky-Man is my personal favorite page.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html

The other bit is when they lured Elan to Cliffport to disguise him as Nale and frame him for the murder of all of a bunch of police officers and the civilians they needed to lure them there. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0339.html

Which ends in my favorite Shojo bit: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html

which just reminded me that Nale knows about the Gates and if he was clunking around his Father's kingdown growing up he might know where Draketooth is

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

And if the one other bit of history mentioned needs refreshed, Roy gets peeved at people forgetting their evil deeds because Xykon couldn't remember killing Roy's father's master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maldraedior posted:

Which ends in my favorite Shojo bit: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html

I'd forgotten about that, that's some funny poo poo right there.