Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

would there be any good reason for my fingers to smell like pickled onions from time to time, even after I've not had any for months?

You've scratched in your ear, behind your ear or in your bellybutton. Those places get funky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

What differentiates chemistry from physics, as fields of study? Is there a lot of overlap?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Binowru posted:

Don't you have to be 25 to rent a car in California?

Generally you can rent a car anywhere if you are under 25, for an extra fee.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

greazeball posted:

You've scratched in your ear, behind your ear or in your bellybutton. Those places get funky.

Nope, nope, nope. Clean as well. Just random. :confused:

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

greazeball posted:

I just smelled my bellybutton, and it's not smelly at all.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bojanglesworth posted:

Generally you can rent a car anywhere if you are under 25, for an extra fee.

On that note, Enterprise is the cheapest by like $30 a day for under 25's.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Torka posted:

What differentiates chemistry from physics, as fields of study? Is there a lot of overlap?

That's a very general question with many possible answers because they are both huge fields of study. The biggest overlap may be the composition of the atoms and molecules themselves, which is one area of study. Chemistry deals more with how elements and molecules react with each other. Physics deals more with using atoms to figure out how stuff in our universe works, like with the Large Hadron Collider.

I'm sure someone else can add to this explanation and correct my mistakes.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Where would I find a thread on Canadian Armed Forces? Friend is thinking about joining and this place always has great information plus I can ask specific questions.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Where would I find a thread on Canadian Armed Forces? Friend is thinking about joining and this place always has great information plus I can ask specific questions.

You might be best off in the CF thread in Goons in Platoons.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

greazeball posted:

No chance. It took nearly 4 weeks just to get new pages put in mine and I paid extra for a rush job.

Yeah, but you mailed your poo poo in, right?

You can walk into the passport office and get it taken care of same day. Just bring your ID pictures. And make an appointment.

Edit: In fact, here's a blog that explains how to do it.

http://www.naffziger.net/blog/fix-its-how-tos-info/getting-a-same-day-passport/

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 16, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Are evaporative coolers any good? I'll describe my situation then perhaps someone can comment:

- British summer heat levels, so up to 25C at most
- For a room 3m x 4m
- With 3 computers & 4 LCD monitors in it

Would one be effective at all? I don't want to spend more than £100 and I saw this sort of thing:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4250399/Trail/searchtext%3EAIR+CONDITIONER.htm

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Evaporative coolers work best when there is little to no humidity at all. Here in Arizona, lots of houses have them, but we all know that by the time the rainy season's getting near and the humidity is over 10% or so, they're nigh on useless. The nice thing about them in arid climates is that they actually add a little moisture to the air so it's not so bone-dry in your house.

Break The Sky
Sep 29, 2008

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Yeah, but you mailed your poo poo in, right?

You can walk into the passport office and get it taken care of same day. Just bring your ID pictures. And make an appointment.

Edit: In fact, here's a blog that explains how to do it.

http://www.naffziger.net/blog/fix-its-how-tos-info/getting-a-same-day-passport/

This is very helpful, thanks!

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Do places like Pearl Vision do glasses repair? Someone stepped on my glasses last night and mangled them, so I'll need a professional to bend them back into place. However, my eye doctor is a private practice and is only open during business hours. I'd like to get it done during the day tomorrow. Can't find anything about it online.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
How is an "i.e." statement set off, gramatically, from the surrounding clauses?

Meaning "STATEMENT i.e. STATEMENT"

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Break The Sky posted:

This is very helpful, thanks!

No problem. Just make sure she gets to a REGIONAL OFFICE. Regular passport offices can't do it. He lists all the cities that they're in.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Dudebro posted:

It would seem that i.e. should be enclosed by commas when used in a sentence. E.g., "One of my favorite things about my job, i.e., rhinoplasty, is..."

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dudebro posted:

For what it's worth, here are some examples of i.e. usage in the wild:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
thank you. Also seems like it's in parentheses if it's an independent clause or is longer than a few words.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dudebro posted:

thank you. Also seems like it's in parentheses if it's an independent clause or is longer than a few words.

It stands for "id est", which translates to "that is", if that helps you think about it. It's typically followed by a comma in American English but not in British.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
What about Canadian English, the bastard stepchild?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dudebro posted:

What about Canadian English, the bastard stepchild?

Various Canadian newspapers:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Hmm, I had it right in the thing I was writing. Thanks for your efforts.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
You didn't ask because you already know, but for anyone else reading this thread...

When do you use i.e., and when do you use e.g., and what do they mean?

Too often I've seen sentences like:

"Writing instruments (i.e., crayons, pencils, pens, etc.) should be ..." WRONG!

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
If I were to run my oven's self-clean with a pan (or other metal kitchen ware) inside, would that also clean them, or is your standard oven pan not intended to take that sort of heat?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Elijya posted:

If I were to run my oven's self-clean with a pan (or other metal kitchen ware) inside, would that also clean them, or is your standard oven pan not intended to take that sort of heat?

I feel like it would be fine. I have tried to run the self cleaner on my oven several times now, and it set my smoke detectors off because it was I guess burning crap off the inside. No matter how much I clean it first the smoke detectors always go off.

the party god
Feb 23, 2011
I just got a drop of hair removal cream on my stuffed bunny rabbit. :ohdear: I cut off the fur on and surrounding the drop but it still smells like it, is it okay to run it through the wash with my other clothes tomorrow and stick it back on my bed, or is my bunny a goner?

(this is the lamest and maybe cutest question ITT) :3:

VVV Yay! Thanks for that, I really had no clue how this stuff works so I was worried it might eat through the fur or something VVV

the party god fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 17, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Hair removal cream generally works by breaking down the disulphide bonds and keratin in the follicle and causing it to release the hair root (see depilatory creams for more info).

It will not affect your bunny, save for maybe changing the color where it contacted, you probably just could've rinsed it off.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've been talking to several doctors about getting laser eye surgery. One doctor tells me I have an unstable cornea and that LASIK is out of the question and PRK is risky. But other doctors tell me it's perfectly safe to do LASIK. Who should I trust?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Baron Bifford posted:

I've been talking to several doctors about getting laser eye surgery. One doctor tells me I have an unstable cornea and that LASIK is out of the question and PRK is risky. But other doctors tell me it's perfectly safe to do LASIK. Who should I trust?
Considering it's a major but optional surgery and the risk is blinding you for life while the reward is not having to wear contacts, seek a third opinion, unrelated to the other two, and inform them of what the other doctors said. I don't think there's a lot of eye doctors who check this thread regularly, and no one can see your cornea here.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one tell me the proper way to cite a US Supreme Court case?

The case in question is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_v._Jefferson_County_Board_of_Education , but it was decided along with Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1, which was the "lead case".

Do I cite the lead case, or the not-lead case (the one I am actually talking about). IANAL, and this is going way over the head of my MLA style book.

I think you can cite P v Seattle as something like:
Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School Dist. No. 1, 551 U.S. 701

551 being the volume number, and 701 being the page number.

But then how do I do the same for M v J, since its supreme court decision was lumped in with P v S?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Baron Bifford posted:

What's your relationship to the doctors and how long have they been practicing?

If the doctor who said you have an unstable cornea is the doctor who's known you the longest, I would go with his opinion, honestly. Definitely be up-front when getting a second opinion, though -- say something like "My optometrist said that I have an unstable cornea and cannot get LASIK, but I'm looking for second opinions."

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
What are these strange circles that are paved at an old naval air station near me?

The name of the NAS is Reynolds in Green Cove Springs, FL but I can't really find any other information on the place except a few sentences on the Wiki page for Green Cove.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

silversiren posted:

What are these strange circles that are paved at an old naval air station near me?

The name of the NAS is Reynolds in Green Cove Springs, FL but I can't really find any other information on the place except a few sentences on the Wiki page for Green Cove.

Someone was doing donuts in the concrete truck :ssh:

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

silversiren posted:

My money is on painted blimp landing circles.

Call the airpark manager and ask him; he probably has a really dull life and might be glad of the chance to shoot the breeze for a couple minutes.

http://www.city-data.com/airports/Reynolds-Airpark-Airport-Green-Cove-Springs-Florida.html#FL60

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
This is real dumb but in online transactions when people say "$___ shipped" does that mean "including shipping?"

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
In my experience, yes.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
My friend just bought a plane ticket for next Tuesday to fly to Berlin. He's taking a backpack with a weeks or so worth of clothes, toiletries, a sleeping bag and his guitar. He speaks German and is planning on just wandering around and maybe getting a job at a hostel, but playing street music will be his main thing.

I'm not trying to stop him, I'm wondering if any of you have any advice or experience that I can give that will make sure he doesn't end up sutured to some dude's rear end in a top hat and that he has a good time.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I've been trying to prove I can keep a large houseplant alive. also I want to use it to cover an outlet full of wires in my living room. they have all died horrible deaths.

I try to keep my living room blinds drawn during the day, as I live in a very hot climate. a trickle of light enters through curtains enter, as the plant area is near a window. I guess they are not getting enough light.

What is a common large leafy plant that doesn't require much light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CatchrNdRy posted:

What is a common large leafy plant that doesn't require much light?
Ficus?