Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Rossi went out a true Steiner hero.:patriot:

He was no Caesar, but, then again, who is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Oooh dear. That's really too bad, I guess. Still, between the Thunderchild and the Copperhead, that's a 2:1 for Rossi - and the Mugger will be easier for Samantha to deal with if she can win against the Lucerne.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
...not gonna lie, I was really hoping that Clanner was going to interpret Steiner Rules as being punching only. That would have made this a lot easier. :ohdear: Especially since another kick to that left leg has a fair to middling chance of putting me down, while I'm still two punches away from breaking through his armor on any torso. Not looking good at all. Is it too late for me to bet against myself?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Well, this turn was bad. At least Colonel Rossi went down fighting. I think the possibility of even obtaining a partial victory has become remote at best. Should Mukaikubo survive his duel with the Lucerne, I recommend that he try to goad the Mugger's pilot into a similar duel.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 16, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nooooooooooooooo, Colonel Rossi! Death by ammo explosion is a pretty bad way to go... And he didn't even take that Clanner with him either... drat. :911:

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 16, 2011

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I doubt there's any chance that kicking him back is any better?

Also, what mech is the PTN Lucerne based on?

the description of the fight in the forest is pretty great eeeeeeeeee

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

GhostStalker posted:

Nooooooooooooooo, Colonel Rossi! Death by ammo explosion is a pretty bad way to go... And he didn't even take that Clanner with him either... drat. :911:

At least I managed to gently caress up one of its legs. :patriot:

Not that it'll help Muk since the drat thing has bullshit no-minimum-range LRMs.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Teledahn posted:

I doubt there's any chance that kicking him back is any better?

the description of the fight in the forest is pretty great eeeeeeeeee

Armor's still real thick on his legs; that and the skill roll for missing a kick or falling over that I've already run afoul of once this combat have me wanting to keep pounding that torso.

BODY SHOTS, ROCKY, BODY SHOTS!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WarLocke posted:

At least I managed to gently caress up one of its legs. :patriot:

Not that it'll help Muk since the drat thing has bullshit no-minimum-range LRMs.

If Muk wins the Lucerne Brawl, and if the Mugger then accepts a challenge under Steiner Rules (the only kind of challenge Clover can really issue after the ammo dump), then that leg injury could prove crucial, as Clover can stand still and burn up precious turns waiting for the Mugger to limp its way into the forest without falling over and crippling itself some more.

That leg damage could turn out to be crucial, actually. If, if, if.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Teledahn posted:

The name Lucerne is simply this timeline's IS designation for the Hellbringer.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hellbringer_%28Loki%29

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yep, Rossi got cored. I was afraid of that.

Now it all boils down to "Can Clover manage to not die for 9 more turns?" Which, given that the Clanner is smart enough to kick, might be tricky...

Maybe the players will get lucky and the Mugger will fail its piloting check to stand back up, thus falling down on its head.

Actually, Colonel Rossi just made sure that the Mugger will have one hell of a time trying to get up there to the Zeus in time, even if it doesn't faceplant a few more times. (Damaged Hip means that it's walking MP get halved, so it's now at 3/5 movement and it has to pass a +2 piloting test every time it wants to run or else it falls down again.) It's a cripple now and like hell will a Zeus that's dumped all its ammo let itself get forced out of all those smoke-filled woods that provide all this nice concealment.

Now it's all up to the fight between the Lucerne and the Zeus. :ohdear:

Magni fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 16, 2011

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So yeah, note to self, weapons with ammo suck and will kill you, no save allowed.

Why does anyone even use things other than lasers and PPCs? The chance of an ammo explosion destroying all hope of victory is just another needless risk, especially when a lucky hit to the cockpit can already do the same thing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Veyrall posted:

So yeah, note to self, weapons with ammo suck and will kill you, no save allowed.

Why does anyone even use things other than lasers and PPCs? The chance of an ammo explosion destroying all hope of victory is just another needless risk, especially when a lucky hit to the cockpit can already do the same thing.

The cyclops just has a ridiculous amount of ammo (4 tons) for its autocannon, given its armor. That 200 damage was only half of its potential, and I didn't even add in the LRM ammo in the same torso.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
So the clanner did sweep the leg. They really are the bad guys.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Steiner rules didn't specify no legs, sadly, though it was implied.

PTN: Despite your PM, my orders remain. They are still a good enough logic chain, and I am psychologically incapable of standing still in Battletech for two rounds running.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Veyrall posted:

That why Clanners use integral CASE! :eng101:

Ballistic and missile weapons do have their place if you want to deal damage while generating relatively little heat. Even a good number of DHS won't stop overheating if you discharge a bunch of energy weapons at once downrange (Clan tech ER PPCs are a good example...). Also, there was an ammo explosion on the player's side in the last scenario and the pilot ejected. I guess Rossi wasn't lucky enough to pass a behind-the-scenes roll and died horrifically because of it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

I guess Rossi wasn't lucky enough to pass a behind-the-scenes roll and died horrifically because of it.

The Cyclops's head is horribly designed. :colbert:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Ehm... Shouldn't the Mugger take a roll to sort out potential pilot damage from the fall?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pinguliten posted:

Ehm... Shouldn't the Mugger take a roll to sort out potential pilot damage from the fall?

Whoops, yes he should.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Whoops, yes he should.

And he rolled a ten too. Bah. :smith:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Damned if the Clanners don't at least respect our valiant mechwarriors now after such a showing. The Wolfhound didn't quit, Colonel Rossi went out in a blaze of glory in a berserker charge, and Clover is having a dance in the fires of hell.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The cyclops just has a ridiculous amount of ammo (4 tons) for its autocannon, given its armor. That 200 damage was only half of its potential, and I didn't even add in the LRM ammo in the same torso.

The ammo load makes more sense when you realize it's supposed to be a Gauss rifle there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

The ammo load makes more sense when you realize it's supposed to be a Gauss rifle there.

Those haven't been introduced yet! :ssh:

And no, this isn't a new <redacted> thing.

VVVV I'm not talking chronologically. I mean no 'Mech in the LP thus-far has packed a Gauss Rifle. It's a 'forgotten' Technology in the Inner Sphere; only ComStar knows they exist.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 16, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Those haven't been introduced yet! :ssh:

And no, this isn't a new <redacted> thing.

Actually, they were introduced a long time ago, it's just that they couldn't figure out how to keep fixing the ones that broke and making new ones to replace the ones that got shot up, so they said "gently caress it" and just crammed in the biggest ballistic weapon they were still capable of making.

But actually, 4 tons of AC/20 ammo isn't so bad. Thank god it wasn't four tons of machine gun ammo. That poo poo would've gone off so strongly the Clanners would've thought that the spheroid barbarians were nuking themselves.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I designed an Archer whose weapons loadout consists of, among others, an LRM-15 w/ Artemis V FCS and 4 tons of Artemis V capable ammo in each side torso. CASE was the first thing I thought of when designing this, since without it there is the possibility of ~400+ damage hitting its CT. The mech would still be in big trouble though, since I mounted an XL engine (automatic 2 engine hits pretty much)...

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Rossi went down right - a blazing inferno, fighting to the last. Here's to hoping Clover survives the same sort of fate...

I think The Arsonist sums up this next turn fairly well.

C'mon, Muk - give 'em the old Head-Body-Head, knock him down a peg!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Hopefully with only one pilot and a very simple set of orders (keep punching!) the next few turns should go pretty quick. Win or lose this will all be over soon and we can go play as the valiant 394th.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

I designed an Archer whose weapons loadout consists of, among others, an LRM-15 w/ Artemis V FCS and 4 tons of Artemis V capable ammo in each side torso. CASE was the first thing I thought of when designing this, since without it there is the possibility of ~400+ damage hitting its CT. The mech would still be in big trouble though, since I mounted an XL engine (automatic 2 engine hits pretty much)...

Three, not two. Light Engines are two.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Three, not two. Light Engines are two.

I'm using Clan tech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, XL Engines on an Inner Sphere 'Mech are really, really bad.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, XL Engines on an Inner Sphere 'Mech are really, really bad.

Nah, they have their place, it's just a really big compromise. XLs on slow 3/5 mechs? Hell no.

But XL fast-cav mechs like the Lao Hu are pretty good, even if they can't compete with Clan designs.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
From what I remember of Battlespace, a small tactical nuclear weapon does 1000 damage at ground zero, decreasing by 20 damage for every mapsheet away from the impact point, out to 50 mapsheets. Every mapsheet within 25 sheets of the impact point is changed to clear, elevation 0 terrain.

All you need to mimic this effect is 5 tons of machine gun ammo!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Preechr posted:

All you need to mimic this effect is 5 tons of machine gun ammo!

Per hex.

Also, goddamn, someone must've built this hex out of old Slip and Slides.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Per hex.

Hold on, let me find the smiley that most completely encapsulates my contribution to this battle. All of it. Here:

:downsgun:

(grumble grumble I hate PSRs so much)

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 17, 2011

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Because they've all melted in the fire and the ground is exceptionally sticky?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Per hex.

Yessss!

We've still got a chance at partial victory! Maybe even full if the Mugger accepts a challenge and falls on its legs some more :)

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
What happens if Samantha moves her joystick forward rapidly twice, backwards rapidly twice, alternates left-right-left-right, types "b" and "a" on her keyboard, then hits the engine startup switch?

I reckon either her 'mech does the funky chicken in a manner that completely confuses the Clanner, or the engine stackpoles.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Merry Marauder posted:

I can't hear most Mech names in any voice other than the dude from MW2:GBL.

Warhoek. WARhemmer. Meraudeh. STONE. RHINO.

Even now, my brother and I will still arbitrarily yell STONE. RHINO. at each other. Somehow those first two MW2 games just had really memorable dialog.

All systems nominal? I think so!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Felime posted:

Yessss!

We've still got a chance at partial victory! Maybe even full if the Mugger accepts a challenge and falls on its legs some more :)

Well, sure, in theory I guess that might be the Clanner falling. Sure. Let's go with that until the probable reality intrudes, that is a much happier picture! There is EGG NOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

Well, sure, in theory I guess that might be the Clanner falling. Sure. Let's go with that until the probable reality intrudes, that is a much happier picture! There is EGG NOG.

CRITICAL HIT, EGG NOG GLASS

EGG NOG GLASS DESTROYED :hehe:

• Locked thread