Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

wa27 posted:

the boat-like physics.

I know it has been said before, but go drive at top speed and try to swerve around corners, then come back and talk to us about boat-like physics.

The realistic driving is a huge improvement. It makes chases fun because you have to drive well rather than just floor it everywhere you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

blue squares posted:

I know it has been said before, but go drive at top speed and try to swerve around corners, then come back and talk to us about boat-like physics.

The realistic driving is a huge improvement. It makes chases fun because you have to drive well rather than just floor it everywhere you go.

that's exactly his point though: they're sluggish. It takes forever to do anything in that game.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

that's exactly his point though: they're sluggish. It takes forever to do anything in that game.

That's true, but I wasn't really complaining about the car physics. My exact quote was "I don't mind the boat-like physics", which I said because that was a complaint a lot of people had when the game was released. To me, driving is as fun as it's ever been in GTA, and the car handling of the previous games would seem out of place in GTA4 anyway.

In the end, it's the on-foot action that just didn't do it for me. I played GTA3/VC/SA a TON in their days, but I found myself just wanting to get the storyline of GTA4 over so I could go on to other games.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Himuro posted:

I meant go drive at top speed in real life. It's not boat like physics, its CAR like.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I think that's exactly why a lot of us don't like that. We want it to be game like, not car like. Honestly, if I wanted to drive a car down a city street at 90 mph, I would. But since I'm not a psychopath, I use games as an outlet. And since I'm already running over a billion people in this made up fantasy world, why the heck would I want it to feel anyway realistic?

This is a conflict between different gamer philosophies. The best thing they could do is offer two control types for people who want realism and for people who want arcade balls to the wall drift action.

But for the most part it's the on foot controls I take issue with. The way Niko sticks to objects, the way his animation resets when you move from walk speed to a full run, which takes AGES in case something happens. It's like the game doesn't react to your reflexes at all and had some sort of lag. This permeates everything: chases, running, getting into cars, shooting, getting to cover. It all takes entirely too long, has too many animations and takes the fun out of everything. It is simply too slow. The car controls are far less obtrusive in comparison.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 17, 2011

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Himuro posted:

Himuro posted:

balls to the wall drift action.

Blista compact and liberal use of the handbrake. You are now the Libery City Stig.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That doesn't change the fact that you basically stop every time you take a corner. Part of it is the lovely world design, but most of it is the bad vehicle physics, they just don't have enough grip and acceleration is slow. It's like going back to GTA3 all over again where driving anything other than a banshee or cheetah is a chore. They made all the cars much higher performance in VC and SA for a reason.

It's just boring, there's really not much to improve at, and it makes driving around just for the sake of it not all that fun.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

If you want realism in driving, play Forza.

But if you want an approximate approximation of realistic driving, play GTA 4. It gets fun when you know how to do it well.

Totally agree on the slow on-foot movement. People complain about sluggish movement in Bad Company 2... they haven't played GTA 4. People shooting at you and you wanna turn around? Ain't gonna be easy. Hiding behind cover and wanna move somehwere else quick? Absurd! Who'd ever wanna do that? Hiding behind cover and drop a grenade instead of throwing it because the controls are spotty? Guess you're just gonna have to get blown the hell up again.

[/rant]

Overall I thought GTA 4 was a great game, just sometimes it really pisses me off...

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

K8.0 posted:

That doesn't change the fact that you basically stop every time you take a corner. Part of it is the lovely world design, but most of it is the bad vehicle physics, they just don't have enough grip and acceleration is slow. It's like going back to GTA3 all over again where driving anything other than a banshee or cheetah is a chore. They made all the cars much higher performance in VC and SA for a reason.

It's just boring, there's really not much to improve at, and it makes driving around just for the sake of it not all that fun.

The vehicle phyics are actually pretty good, just because they don't allow you to drive an SUV like a supercar on rails doesn't mean they're bad. All it means is you have to pick your car more carefully. What's so wrong with that?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yeah its mostly just your muscle memory freaking a bit after playing the previous games 500 times. Once you get used to how to drive properly (and get a decent car) its still fun and easy to drive around.

So is GTA4 playable on PC nowadays?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

K8.0 posted:

Do I have to make a video showing you guys how to take corners? You're only stopping at every corner because can't drive properly.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pwnstar posted:

It's still a bit hit and miss and having a good processor helps a lot.

That said I completed GTA4 and EFLC multiple times on a 3.0ghz Core2Duo with an 8800gt with pretty high settings.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cage posted:

Do I have to make a video showing you guys how to take corners? You're only stopping at every corner because can't drive properly.

I press F2 every time I nail a good handbrake turn.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Awesome, San Andreas seems to just get stuck in a seemingly infinite loop of UAC prompts when I try to launch it. Tried verifying the game data and Steam redownloaded ~1 gig of data but it didn't help at all. I also tried disabling UAC temporarily and it still didn't launch. All drivers are up to date as well.

Any idea what the problem might be? Specs are:

Windows 7 64bit
i5 2400
4gb RAM
Radeon 6850HD

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Eel hovercraft posted:

Awesome, San Andreas seems to just get stuck in a seemingly infinite loop of UAC prompts when I try to launch it. Tried verifying the game data and Steam redownloaded ~1 gig of data but it didn't help at all. I also tried disabling UAC temporarily and it still didn't launch. All drivers are up to date as well.

Any idea what the problem might be? Specs are:

Windows 7 64bit
i5 2400
4gb RAM
Radeon 6850HD

Have you tried setting gta-sa.exe to run as administrator?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hated driving in GTA IV at first, but I played a lot of multiplayer for that game (it was the only game I had for a couple months) and I got really good at driving, except for motorcycles, which were trash until LotD.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
When they get around to making a new GTA game they'd better add some loving useful cheats this time around. The fact that they don't have a god mode cheat and don't have a cheat to turn off wanted levels in GTA IV nearly ruined it for me. I'd like to beat up hobos without constantly having to hightail it out of the cool location I found because the cops are after me.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Why are they selling GTA 1 & 2 for £4.99 each on Steam when they're free on the Rockstar website?

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Rick posted:

I hated driving in GTA IV at first, but I played a lot of multiplayer for that game (it was the only game I had for a couple months) and I got really good at driving, except for motorcycles, which were trash until LotD.

Motorcycles weren't THAT bad in the original game! Half the joy came from accidentally plowing into a fence and sending Nico spiralling into the air.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah its mostly just your muscle memory freaking a bit after playing the previous games 500 times. Once you get used to how to drive properly (and get a decent car) its still fun and easy to drive around.

It's a real shame the AI can't drive the cars worth a poo poo. What's the fun of a car chase if the only way the bads can keep up is by spawning around you.

I fuckin miss driver for that. Shaking a cop made you feel like a hero.

Also, the third person camera loving sucked for driving, it lagged behind the car so much that I was always sitting on the right stick correcting for the lazy camera.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I've only recently started playing TbogT and I now have the pause music as my alarm in the morning!

Also great; the websites in game. I wish those things would update periodically, like Rockstar just streamed some new songs etc in the background as you played the game. That's probably some next gen stuff right there though.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Convex posted:

Have you tried setting gta-sa.exe to run as administrator?

Yeah, I've tried it and it still keeps opening and closing the Steam launch window in a loop but the game itself refuses to launch.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Eel hovercraft posted:

Yeah, I've tried it and it still keeps opening and closing the Steam launch window in a loop but the game itself refuses to launch.

Verified cache? Ran Steam as administrator?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh my god gently caress the steam version of GTASA

Uninstalled, redled, reinstalled, still no fix. Researched everywhere online and it seems Rockstar removed - yes, REMOVED - 16:9 option in the 3.00 patch, which is unmoddable (thanks Hot Coffee!).

Play on 1024 x 768? gently caress that.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
That's weird. My DVD version works fine with Windows 7.

Why did they patch it? I don't recall Rockstar ever issuing a patch other than to block Hot Coffee.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Philip J Fry posted:

That's weird. My DVD version works fine with Windows 7.

Why did they patch it? I don't recall Rockstar ever issuing a patch other than to block Hot Coffee.

Steam version is version 3.00, dvd version as far as I know is version 2.00

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I just bought the steam sale set out of sheer principle. I already have them on disk in various places, but goddamn, £5 for the lot is too good, plus they are safely stored on steam forever.

henpod fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 17, 2011

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

MurraneousX posted:

Ran Steam as administrator?

Man now I feel dumb as hell for not trying that :( . The game works just fine now, much appreciated!

Also, I forgot how hideous this game looks by modern standards. Luckily the voice actors and dialogue are top notch stuff.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Himuro posted:

Steam version is version 3.00, dvd version as far as I know is version 2.00

I guess that makes sense. None of my VC disc saves worked with the Steam version. Steam does all sorts of weird poo poo, like that update for Max Payne that nuked some of the sound.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

henpod posted:

I just bought the steam sale set out of sheer principle. I already have them on disk in various places, but goddamn, £5 for the lot is too good, plus they are safely stored on steam forever.

Same thing here, I tend to re-buy stuff I have on disc when it's on deal on Steam. I do <3 Steam!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Lurchibles posted:

Same thing here, I tend to re-buy stuff I have on disc when it's on deal on Steam. I do <3 Steam!

I am a little disappointed in the omission of GTA:London though :(. My plan is to play these through in order, but I really dont know if I will get bored of GTA 1 and 2 really quickly and want to move onto the 3D stuff..

Edit - Well, im off to a good start. Changed the resolution in the game options and am now getting funky light shows, but cant see poo poo to try another one. How to I start the game in its default resolution?

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 17, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Finally loving did it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I remember at the GTA 4 launch party I was hanging out with Lazlo for a bit and was all 'hey why is Maurice Chavez not in anymore games the character was hilarious'. "Well, the reason is we blew him up so huge in stories that he was kinda impossible to write for anymore."

And then I said the best thing I have ever and will ever say.

'Maurive Chavez for President.'

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Why are they selling GTA 1 & 2 for £4.99 each on Steam when they're free on the Rockstar website?
They're not, it's just showing the price for the pack which includes them as bonuses.

Also, if you wanna mod the Steam version of San Andreas, grab the No-DVD executable. I used that to run MTA, MTA loving rules.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I assumed when people were saying "lots of people still play SA MP" they didn't mean "lots of people from Russia and Brazil still play SA MP". The popular American servers all seem to be down or nobody's playing them, and the most populated servers are Russian.

KFC were the big go-to guys for GTA multiplayer, now all their servers have gone under I guess. All I can find now are role-playing servers that require registration and, again, Russian and Brazilian servers. I just want to jump in a game, drive like crazy and kill people get killed by jerks as soon as I spawn.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

Finally loving did it.

How did you do it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I can't figure out a good control option for San Andreas. For some reason, I don't think the game lets the right stick control the camera while driving.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
SA:MP is the MP mod that blows, right? MTA is where it's at.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

blackguy32 posted:

I can't figure out a good control option for San Andreas. For some reason, I don't think the game lets the right stick control the camera while driving.

It never did for me either, but you can just download a free (aka older) version of xpadder and set the numpad keys or something to the right stick to work around it.

That way you can just copy the PS2 controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh wow, going back to Vice City after all these years is painful. The controls are just soooooooooo bad. No free mouse look and retarded poo poo like "can't run with a pump gun".

But the music is still the best :3:

• Locked thread