Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

No idea about a slipper, but I'm guessing it woukd since he races it.

Ignoring backing it in, what's the best way to ride it? I've never ridden a tard before. You're supposed to sit right forward yes?

You MUST, MUST, MUST get your body forward on the bike to weight the front end. If you don't get your body forward, the front will constantly push. You can get away with mostly ignoring forward or backward body positioning on streetbikes, but on a sumo you gotta get forward, up on the tank.

You can also ride it knee down or foot down. I've always ridden knee down so that's how I run the quickest on the supermoto track, but it's important to remember that you still need to get way forward on the bike.

You can also still blip your downshifts if you're comfortable with that, I've always been poo poo at blipping downshift so backing it in is just way more comfortable for me.

Oh, and final thing: It seems counterintuitive, but if you're getting rear wheel hop, it's because you need to let the clutch out faster or add more rear brake, as the rear wheel isn't slowing enough to properly slide out of line. Getting harder on the front will help avoid wheel hop too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2314050941.html

2006 drz400sm for 3000.

Is this a decent deal? Assuming the mechanicals are okay. They didn't mention mileage as well.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

lostleaf posted:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2314050941.html

2006 drz400sm for 3000.

Is this a decent deal? Assuming the mechanicals are okay. They didn't mention mileage as well.

Deleted listing, but it's a fair price if it works well and especially with any nice modifications like the 3x3 with rejet.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Double postin' to liven up the thread.

Edit: And one more.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 12, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Made it through unscathed! This is the bike I was on:

KTM450EXC converted to a sumo racer running on slicks. Bike is waaaaaaaaaaay better than I am. Found myself braking and turning way too early just because I wasn't even approaching the bike's limits. Having my first ever ride on sumo be on a cold, greasy, very tight go-kart track probably wasn't my best idea ever but hey, I didn't crash it. Feels pretty good once you start sticking a boot out and get it sliding around (although I didn't have the guts to try and back it in). I've got some footage from my GoPro but it's night so it's quite poo poo.

Definitely want to give it another go though.

And this is the track. Not in that config though: the straight tyre barrier on the the left blocked off the two bits of road it runs parallel too, so you took the left it blocks off.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 12, 2011

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Z3n posted:

:words:

Uh, wow. Where's the beginner's guide to backing it in?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Synonamess Botch posted:

One thing I realized is that, since trying to understand and do all that while diving into a turn seems impossible and crazy (for me anyways) you can just try it while going straight and braking. Much less of a holy poo poo factor and a good way to get started.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Beginner's guide to backing it in:

Get going in a straight line, get up to 5th gear, around 60mph, and then clutch in, get hard on the front brake, pound down to 2nd, and start letting the clutch out. If the back wheel hops, you need to let the clutch out more. If the back end waggles smoothly, then you're on the right track. After that, try the same thing, but rather than being upright, lean the bike over just a little bit, and let the rear end end slide out to the side.

If you gently caress it up in a straight line, you get wheel hop. If you gently caress it up while leaned over a bit, the bike's gonna snap upright and push you wide, so practice this in a place with a lot of runoff, like a parking lot. Most of the time, you'll be backing it in midway through your braking zone, and everything will be back in line before turn in. Once you're really comfortable with the bike getting sideway on corner entrance, you can start backing it in after turn in, and you'll develop a feel for that when the time comes.

If your bike doesn't have a lot of engine braking, and you're only getting wheel hop, then you can drag a little rear brake to slide out. Also, the harder you are on the front, the easier it is to back it in, so make sure you're REALLY hard on the front, the rear should be almost completely unweighted to assist it getting sideways.

I think that covers the basics. The biggest thing that I struggled with was getting it to stop hopping and start sliding. My lightbulb moment was when I realized I could make it slide more by using the rear brake, and that allowed me to handle the wheel hop and really start getting comfortable hanging it out.

A slipper clutch makes it super easy, bang your downshifts, drop the clutch, and add rear brake to taste.

Edit: Gnaghi! :v:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 12, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
By my 3rd session I wasn't even using the clutch to downshift, just stomping down on the lever.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Today I decided to read the sumo thread. What I learned from this is "backing it in" is pretty much the exact same process by which I do a J turn on my dirtbike, except I do that standing up.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Edit: Gnaghi! :v:

Obviously a better explanation, but I just had to share that little epiphany I had (which I'm guessing most people already figured out).

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
On Mar 18, 2009:

pr0zac posted:

For posterity sakes, my bike:

2006 DRZ400SM w/ FCR39MX carb, 3x3 Airbox, Yoshi RS-2, and a vacuum leak from somewhere I need to track down. :(

It apparently took me two years to figure out why Dizzy never idled right. I am a terrible motorcycle owner.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Re: Z3n, so the basic goal is breaking the wheel loose, and you accomplish it with heavy engine braking on an unweighted wheel?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The goal is a perfect apex everytime. Unweighting the rear wheel is the very basic level. You really need to feel it out. The trick is not thinking about it but knowing the feel of when the slide starts and bending that to your will. The basic recipie is a lit of brake. A lot of engine braking. A lot of turning. And keeping the rear wheel sliding instead of hopping.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
Any suggestions for boots for Sumo ridding around town? So far I have read that MX boots are what I should be looking at.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Mx boot style. Tough ankles. Good toe protection. Street tread. Replacable sole if your baller.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

VTNewb posted:

Today I decided to read the sumo thread. What I learned from this is "backing it in" is pretty much the exact same process by which I do a J turn on my dirtbike, except I do that standing up.

A lot more clutch work, less rear brake, higher grip, and much much higher speeds then yeah it's basically the same thing... ;)

I had someone vaguely inquire about my 625smc and if I wanted to sell it... oh god. do not need 690 do not need 690

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Gom Jabbar posted:

Any suggestions for boots for Sumo ridding around town? So far I have read that MX boots are what I should be looking at.

http://www.motostrano.com/alsubote7sm.html

Soooooooooooo nice. Most expensive piece of gear I've ever bought, worth every penny.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
The tech 7s are nice (I have them) but look like loving moon boots. The sidi crossfires aren't as bulbous and look a bit better, but are both more expensive and don't have a wrap around replaceable sole. The tech 7s cover most of the toe and inside of the heel up a few inches where as the sidis are just the sole.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
Any opinions on the Gaerne Super Motard Boots?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gom Jabbar posted:

Any opinions on the Gaerne Super Motard Boots?
Not the supermoto boots but I've got a set of Gaerne MX boots and I love them. I have beat the poo poo out of them on rocks, trees, car doors and everything else and they are holding up just fine. Not sure what the main differences are between the SM and MX boots but I picked mine up lightly used for $25 and couldn't be happier.

On the topic of backing it in...is clutch needed on the downshifts or can you just kick it down 2-3 gears without using the clutch? I never really use the clutch on the CRF except starting and stopping. Want to figure out backing it in as well as wheelies/stoppies this summer.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Not the supermoto boots but I've got a set of Gaerne MX boots and I love them. I have beat the poo poo out of them on rocks, trees, car doors and everything else and they are holding up just fine. Not sure what the main differences are between the SM and MX boots but I picked mine up lightly used for $25 and couldn't be happier.

On the topic of backing it in...is clutch needed on the downshifts or can you just kick it down 2-3 gears without using the clutch? I never really use the clutch on the CRF except starting and stopping. Want to figure out backing it in as well as wheelies/stoppies this summer.

Seems like this would cause lockup issues since you're generally banging down a couple gears in motard racing. If it was just one gear it would work. Clutchless downshifting probably works better in dirt than asphalt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

Re: Z3n, so the basic goal is breaking the wheel loose, and you accomplish it with heavy engine braking on an unweighted wheel?

If you're just backing it in for fun, yes. I started backing it in because I can't blip downshifts while braking at the limit (ie, hanging the rear wheel off the ground on corner entrance while simultaneously blipping the throttle), and backing it in lets me downshift and equalize the rear wheel slide with my clutch hand while still being hard on the brakes.

The other advantages are it allows you to get the motorcycle turned earlier so you can get on the gas earlier, and for racing, it makes the bike wider to prevent people from getting around you.

NitroSpazzz posted:

You don't usually just kick it down a few gears unless you're going slow or have a slipper. You use the clutch because it allows you to control when you're sliding and when you're keeping the wheels in line.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm too used to the slipper on the 690 and now I'll accidentally 'chirp' the rear when I borrow other bikes. That said, dropping the clutch completely at speed still takes some extra balls that I don't often have. The full unbridled engine braking on the 690 is intense.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

You don't usually just kick it down a few gears unless you're going slow or have a slipper. You use the clutch because it allows you to control when you're sliding and when you're keeping the wheels in line.
Ah ok that makes sense, now I know enough to be dangerous to myself.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I want more of a sumo. I feel my 2007 690 SM is too heavy and not enough acceleration. Could be the exhaust....

I just see videos of dudes tossing around their sumos like it's nothing and I just don't think you can manhandle my bike like that.

What are my other options? Just the 2008+ SMC?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

I want more of a sumo. I feel my 2007 690 SM is too heavy and not enough acceleration. Could be the exhaust....

I just see videos of dudes tossing around their sumos like it's nothing and I just don't think you can manhandle my bike like that.

Come ride mine when I pick it up, and you can see how it is. It'd also be really nice if my wife could take a spin on yours because I think the 690 SM will fit her better.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Christoff posted:

Are you willing to do maintenance on a more race-oriented motard? Then you've got a lot of options for smaller, lighter tards that are more flickable but also require more care.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Z3n posted:

Come ride mine when I pick it up, and you can see how it is. It'd also be really nice if my wife could take a spin on yours because I think the 690 SM will fit her better.

You're getting a SMC? I may sell my bike if I can decide on what other sumo I want to go.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Are you willing to do maintenance on a more race-oriented motard? Then you've got a lot of options for smaller, lighter tards that are more flickable but also require more care.

Yeah, it's known that the 2007 SM is a more street orientated "cruiser" sumo. And I use that lightly.

I've only ever done minor maintenance on my old gsx-r. I mean I don't want a bike that needs a complete rebuild every 5k miles and oil change every 500 miles. As of now I do only ride my bike twice a month when I'm home. But I do an occasional 250 mile commute one way every once in a blue moon and am planning a west coast road trip in the distant future.

I also want to be able to two-up (because chicks love bikes) and would miss a 6th gear. The SMC is just so expensive but is the faster (and bigger) of the tards out there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

You're getting a SMC? I may sell my bike if I can decide on what other sumo I want to go.

Yeah, it's known that the 2007 SM is a more street orientated "cruiser" sumo. And I use that lightly.

I've only ever done minor maintenance on my old gsx-r. I mean I don't want a bike that needs a complete rebuild every 5k miles and oil change every 500 miles. As of now I do only ride my bike twice a month when I'm home. But I do an occasional 250 mile commute one way every once in a blue moon and am planning a west coast road trip in the distant future.

I also want to be able to two-up (because chicks love bikes) and would miss a 6th gear. The SMC is just so expensive but is the faster (and bigger) of the tards out there.

You might have seen this one around the forums...

Honestly, the SMC is as high power and awesome as you get without frequent rebuilds...just the way it is.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I'll just have to save for one. I can put down about $3k without selling my bike and I've been meaning to get a loan to build credit. So there.

Going to try to sell my 2007 KTM 690 SM with 11-12k miles for about $5k. I think I paid $5,300?

Now if I could just find one for less than loving $8 grand. Lowest I've seen is like 6-7?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

*cough*/r/supermoto*cough*

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Are you the one on there complaining about how no one posts? I posted something just for you.

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006
This afternoon, I checked out the local Husqvarna dealer. Sat on a leftover 2010 SMR510 and it felt awfully good. Has anyone in here owned/ridden one?

I'm starting to convince myself that it would be fun to check valves and change oil every other weekend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MajesticTrout posted:

This afternoon, I checked out the local Husqvarna dealer. Sat on a leftover 2010 SMR510 and it felt awfully good. Has anyone in here owned/ridden one?

I'm starting to convince myself that it would be fun to check valves and change oil every other weekend.

The 625 owners will call me a pussy for this, but there's no way I'd want to buy a street sumo that I expected to ride any distance that didn't have a counterbalancer.

Besides that, if all you ever do on it is pleasure riding, then yes, it could be a good choice. But if you're not ripping with every mile you turn, it's gonna be the wrong bike for you.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MajesticTrout posted:

I've test ridden a 510, and have 450 as a track bike. The 510 was the second supermoto I'd ridden, after a drz400sm. It blew my mind how different it was, I had trouble pulling away from a stop without popping the front wheel off the ground. I don't mean it was tempting to do wheelies, I mean being slightly hamfisted from a stop means you're doing a wheelie.

It's high maintenance, you don't want to cruise down the highway on one, but they are amazing to ride down a tight twisty road.

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 17, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

The 625 owners will call me a pussy for this, but there's no way I'd want to buy a street sumo that I expected to ride any distance that didn't have a counterbalancer.

This is nonsense designed to deter you from the finer joys of motorcycling - having an engine so obvious when running that you know the instant something is wrong. If there wasn't a loud racket or strong vibration coming from my LC4 engine I would be gravely concerned.

Besides, your body begins to adapt the harmonic frequency outputted by the engine after a while and you continue that frequency while getting off the bike. This is simply a form of biological synergy - you begin to depend on being surrounded by the soothing chattering of a thumper beneath you to feel comfortable. Likewise, you can use your fingers going numb as a gauge of time. You don't need a clock when you know that it takes precisely 20 minutes for you to stop feeling your pinkie and an hour before your index finger bites the dust. They serve as decent odometers, as well.

Seriously, though, I don't mind the vibrations, which Z3n already predicted I would say. I wouldn't want that maintenance schedule, though, when you still have other options that are just as satisfying and not as stressful to own.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
Orange LC4
Vibrating violently
My balls have gone numb

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

If you have another bike for commuting, trips and stuff then pick up the 510 as a toy for windy roads and track days. If the 510 would be your only bike and you plan on using it to commute...well hope you like wrenching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

If you have another bike for commuting, trips and stuff then pick up the 510 as a toy for windy roads and track days. If the 510 would be your only bike and you plan on using it to commute...well hope you like wrenching.

And spending big money when the engine goes. Maybe it won't be so bad when you have to replace a crank if you've been riding like an insane man for 6k, but if it's all (or even some) highway you are putting the bike to waste.

• Locked thread