Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I hope to Christ that Rockstar finally comes up with a way to change your character's outfits that takes less than 12 minutes to put something together. San Andreas was excrutiating. "Want to change ANYTHING? Hope you like this animation of CJ walking back into the closet we made, because he does it for every single article of clothing!!!" GTA4's system was almost as bad, if not worse. I mean gently caress, blindly cycling through your entire wardrobe? On what planet is this a good design feature?

Here's a freebie Rockstar, let the player go to a menu and select the changes they want to make from a list for each type of clothing. Once the player has selected everything they want to change, THEN AND ONLY THEN does the "changing clothes" pause/animation occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Can someone tell me how to launch Vice City in its default 640x480 mode? I chose the wrong resolution in the game options and now I cant see anything at all when the game launches, just glowing greyness.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doppelganger posted:

I hope to Christ that Rockstar finally comes up with a way to change your character's outfits that takes less than 12 minutes to put something together. San Andreas was excrutiating. "Want to change ANYTHING? Hope you like this animation of CJ walking back into the closet we made, because he does it for every single article of clothing!!!" GTA4's system was almost as bad, if not worse. I mean gently caress, blindly cycling through your entire wardrobe? On what planet is this a good design feature?

Here's a freebie Rockstar, let the player go to a menu and select the changes they want to make from a list for each type of clothing. Once the player has selected everything they want to change, THEN AND ONLY THEN does the "changing clothes" pause/animation occur.
Not realistic enough. Maybe you could compromise? A minigame where you complete QTEs to have your character dress up. Failing a button press results in a sloppier outcome. Unbuttoned/zipped pants, popped up collars and untied shoeslaces, a new trend in the Liberty City underworld?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Saint's Row did the clothing right. You get a menu that shows what the clothes would like on your character without any stupid changing animations. I pretty much wore one or two outfits in San Andreas because of that slow animation.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
I just bought the GTA Classics pack on Steam and was wondering if I could use my PS3 controller for III, Vice City, and San Andreas.

If so, how?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

henpod posted:

Can someone tell me how to launch Vice City in its default 640x480 mode? I chose the wrong resolution in the game options and now I cant see anything at all when the game launches, just glowing greyness.

Go to My Docs\GTA Vice City User Files\ and delete gta_vc.set, that will delete all custom settings and make it revert to default.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 17, 2011

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
GTA VI: Complete now at $9.99 on Steam.
If you bought it before the sale I'm sincerely sorry.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Hot drat, both DLCs for $7.50 today.

Oh god why, my internet sucks so I'm downloading something like 18GB at 133KBs :shepface:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

sholin posted:

Go to My Docs\GTA Vice City User Files\ and delete gta_vc.set, that will delete all custom settings and make it revert to default.

Thanks very much.

Also, are there any standard mods that improve the graphics for the 3D games? I found for for GTA3 but cant really tell the difference. I loaded up San Andreas and was shocked at how plain it looks, I guess I have been spoiled by modern games, but I do remember there being some mods out there. Google throws up too many random results, and I was wondering if there were any go-to standards.

Edit - drat, just noticed the GTA4 and DLC set on offer too. Jesus, I dont think I can resist. Im probably not going to play any of these, but having the whole GTA Catalogue for under £12 seems criminal to ignore.

henpod fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 17, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

KFCB posted:

How did you do it?

the problem with the steam version is the patch. It's version 3.00, which is split into two: gta-sa.exe and test.exe

Keep a copy of gta-sa.exe and test-exe in a different folder, then delete them from root folder. Go here and download the [EURO]version 1.01 no cd.

Place that in the root folder of common/grandtheftautosandandreas. It will be gta_sa.exe.

Launch to see if it works.

If it does, go to steam add non-steam game.

Voila.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042638

Boris the Blade posted:

I just bought the GTA Classics pack on Steam and was wondering if I could use my PS3 controller for III, Vice City, and San Andreas.

If so, how?

Motioninjoy

You're in luck. They recently recieved the license which makes installation a 100 times easier. It used to require tinkering with system files, but now it's a simple exe file.

Just hook up your ds3 to your computer via usb.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 17, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

henpod posted:

Edit - drat, just noticed the GTA4 and DLC set on offer too. Jesus, I dont think I can resist. Im probably not going to play any of these, but having the whole GTA Catalogue for under £12 seems criminal to ignore.

TLAD adds bikes that not only look cool but also don't handle like a bag of rear end.

Gay Tony adds explosive toys.

One of which is fired from an automatic shotgun.

That dents cars up real nice before they explode :q:

Then you can also turn on the EXPLOSIVE PUNCH and EXPLOSIVE SNIPER BULLETS cheats and oh god so many explosions :supaburn:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I bought the classic pack yesterday, and have no money for the GTA 4 pack. Fuckkkk

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So if I've already gotten GTA 4 on DVD can I download EFLC from Steam and have it either 1) tack itself onto my existing GTA 4 install or 2) have it as a standalone like EFLC for ps3?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It will be a standalone 16gb download.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Hot drat, I have every GTA game now. Hopefully GTA4 will run decently on my rig. I thought the game was okay, not as fun or crazy as past GTAs, but it is fun in its own right.

Is the PC port GTA4 still lovely and loaded with crappy programs still?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I really hope the next game has a better wanted level system. I hated getting outside the radar only to have a cop car spawn in front of you and get the radar re-centred was so god dam annoying. Especially if you had a slow as poo poo truck for a mission that could never outrun the police anyway.

A metal gear solid system would be much better.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Starhawk64 posted:

Hot drat, I have every GTA game now. Hopefully GTA4 will run decently on my rig. I thought the game was okay, not as fun or crazy as past GTAs, but it is fun in its own right.

Is the PC port GTA4 still lovely and loaded with crappy programs still?

Also are there any essential mods for performance, color balance, etc.? This is actually a pretty large point of contention as to whether or not I get this on PC or wait until the PS3 version gets cheaper.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh my god I hate San Andreas' story but it's still fun as hell.

"Man, the hood's hosed up!"

No poo poo, CJ. You mean you totally missed the 80's crack break out?

CJ is a total idiot. It's like a hood story written by a bunch of white dudes, which I know it is, but still. Just aggravating.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So I just got the GTA IV complete pack on steam, are there any must have mods or addons?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Tommy Vercetti is a complete psychopath and actively enjoys torturing and murdering people. That's why he's the best player character in GTA. Everything he does makes complete sense because he doesn't give the slightest poo poo about other people.

I think my favorite part about him is how hillariously anticlimatic his death was, after everything else about him just builds up to be more and more over the top.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Wait, Tommy doesn't die.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
It'd be really cool to set the game in a bit city, LA or SF or Miami but have more than one time period in the same setting.

So for the first half of the game you might be doing late 70s/early 80s Starsky & Hutch or Miami Vice type stuff but then halfway through the game moves to the modern day so the streets are the same but the cars, pedestrians and shops are different. Unlikely I know given the problems that would cause for art/audio assets but it'd be a great gimmick.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Anatharon posted:

I think my favorite part about him is how hillariously anticlimatic his death was, after everything else about him just builds up to be more and more over the top.

Say what?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Himuro posted:

Wait, Tommy doesn't die.

He got shot by a.. Zetsobou? (The company, whatever they were called) Corp assassin when he was picking a random car's lock.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Anatharon posted:

He got shot by a.. Zetsobou? (The company, whatever they were called) Corp assassin when he was picking a random car's lock.

That's Claude from gta2 and 3.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Anatharon posted:

That's Claude Speed from GTA2.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

In which game did this happen? III? Certainly can't remember it happening in VC.
E: Welp.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It'd be really cool to set the game in a bit city, LA or SF or Miami but have more than one time period in the same setting.

So for the first half of the game you might be doing late 70s/early 80s Starsky & Hutch or Miami Vice type stuff but then halfway through the game moves to the modern day so the streets are the same but the cars, pedestrians and shops are different. Unlikely I know given the problems that would cause for art/audio assets but it'd be a great gimmick.
Mafia 2 more or less did that, it went from a winter late 40's to a mid 50's theme; it worked really nicely and looked great.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

I love this idea. Do it in New Orleans!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Driver: Parallel Lines does this. Don't know if the game is any good, but you can get on Gog.com.

Also, how's Mafia 2? It came free with my new videocard.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't see a point in asking if you can install it literally right now and see for yourself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The casting calls in the OP make me think that GTA5 will have multiple protagonists, which is a pretty logical evolution of the storytelling formula, though I'm not sure how it will work exactly. I think it would be best if they "unlock" as the main story progresses, and once unlocked you can choose who to play as each time you load the game. This would also hopefully make for radical changes in missions if you do them in different orders - I'm picturing a mission in which you play both "the guy stealing the poo poo" and "the guy whose poo poo is being stolen", perhaps resulting in one of them dying depending on which one you did first. Since they already went with a couple branching "who lives, who dies" decisions in 4, I think it's logical.

It would also free them up to finally have a female protagonist without having to commit to making a game where the only protagonist is female.

No matter what, I have absolute faith 5 will be amazing; The Lost and Damned had an absolutely fantastic story, so I think it's safe to say they've learned that 4 was a bit of a mis-step.

I really don't want the game to go back to being as "cartoony" as 3/VC/SA. I love those and replay them often but I liked the shift toward realism in 4/TLaD/TBoGT. Saints Row 3 will be there for people who want silly, and hell, Red Dead Redemption was even more serious than GTA4. The problem with 4 wasn't "it was too serious", it was "it wasn't written as well as it could have been". People overstate 4 being a "bad game" every bit as much as reviewers overstated it being a "good game", honestly. I loved driving across a realistic NYC with LCD Soundsystem playing on the radio before stopping to watch a Ricky Gervais show and then hop in a helicopter to go base jumping.

...wait, that doesn't sound very realistic.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Also, how's Mafia 2? It came free with my new videocard.
A lot of wasted potential and a bit too much driving in the missions; if you see it as a mission based game it works a lot better; Technically I would say the game looks and runs better then GTA4 at least with regards to how much detail they managed to fit into the city and npc's.
It's a fun, good but not great game with some jarring flaws and bad publisher decisions keeping it down some more.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Himuro posted:

That's Claude from gta2 and 3.

Oh, right. :downs:

I haven't even played whatever game he's from so I'm not sure what I'm going on about.

Some content: I finished GTA IV today. I liked it. I've only played 1/2/3/4/Advanced and Chinatown wars, so I don't have many other 3D GTA games to compare it to. I'd gotten it during the Christmas sale on steam awhile back, so I also have the Ballad of Gay Tony and TLATD. Which should I play next? I gather TLATD is better, but if The Ballad of Gay Tony is just not as good, I'm thinking I should play it after so I have TLATD to look forward to.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

LvK posted:

Also are there any essential mods for performance, color balance, etc.? This is actually a pretty large point of contention as to whether or not I get this on PC or wait until the PS3 version gets cheaper.

I'll second this. I have a disc copy of GTA IV that barely runs on my computer despite my computer exceeding the recommended specs, and I was wondering if the Steam version is somehow different or if TLaD or BoGT have some kind of patch which makes the game actually playable.

$10 is nothing for the GTA IV trilogy, but it's an awful lot if I can't even play the games. Also I already own them for 360... so technically I can still play them, but my disc is scratched so it's a pain in the rear end to install the game and/or play it sometimes. I'd gladly pay another $10 if they'd run on my computer.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Gay Tony is better from a gameplay perspective; so just play that one last.
While not oscar worthy the story isn't bad, slightly worse then Lost and Damned, but some of the further refinements and mission setpieces make TLaD look very anticlimatic if you play it last.

sexy tram
Nov 5, 2010
I'm having a problem getting a new game in GTA IV to start. It gets to a black screen with 'starting new game' in the corner and then nothing. I'm not sure if that just means my computer can't handle it or if it just takes a long time for it to start up. I waited for a good ten minutes the first two or three times when I tried restarting it and messing with some settings. Nothing seems to change though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zedd posted:

Gay Tony is better from a gameplay perspective; so just play that one last.
While not oscar worthy the story isn't bad, slightly worse then Lost and Damned, but some of the further refinements and mission setpieces make TLaD look very anticlimatic if you play it last.

Yeah, I kind of wish I'd played Gay Tony last, since the ending definitely felt like it should wrap up the trilogy. And TLaD fits right in-between GTA IV and BoGT, it's a nice bridge between the seriousness of IV and the balls-out craziness of BoGT. It also has one of the biggest non-endings in a story I've ever seen.

I loved it, but I probably would've enjoyed it better had I played it in between the other stories.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Speaking of endings -- I haven't seen any complaints in the thread yet about the IV ending on PC. There is a point where you have to do a daring jump, and no matter how many times I've tried, I just can't seem to do it. I've kind of given up now, but if anyone could explain what's wrong with my technique, maybe I could wrap it up after all.

Also, Wrap It Up is my favorite song on Radio Broker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

blackguy32 posted:

I can't figure out a good control option for San Andreas. For some reason, I don't think the game lets the right stick control the camera while driving.

I couldn't until I switched to Ps2 controls in Motionjoy. If it used it as ps3 controller, it wouldn't do it so who knows.

Didn't see this get answered, so anyone know of any graphics bump mods for San Andreas? Something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FduiJBxyV1o seems neat, but can't find what it is. (He also has a reload mod, and a GTA4 ragdoll thing)

• Locked thread