Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Ravenger posted:

Very true. Of course you have to be careful not to damage the pins in the socket instead, and the crunching sound you get when you push the lever down to lock the CPU is very scary too. So it is sort of scary :)

I've swapped 4 CPUs in my PC over the past two years, and I still get scared putting that lever down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dodoman posted:

I've swapped 4 CPUs in my PC over the past two years, and I still get scared putting that lever down.

True, for that reason I tend to prefer coolers that you screw into place instead of that lever. I've heard of one guy who somehow managed to put it in so badly the he broke the entire CPU into two halves when securing the cooler.

But nowadays it's really all but impossible to screw up on that scale, you'll instantly know when it's in by the way it slides down with basically no resistance.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

That clip on Athlon Xp coolers still gives me nightmares.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
I ripped my AMD Phenom out of the socket when I was putting in a new heatsink. No bent pins and it slipped right back in without any trouble, crisis averted. :dukedog:

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Lurchibles posted:

My friend did exactly the same thing 5 or 6 years ago. He had to sit there with some tweezers and manually readjust each pin. It took him over 10 hours, and it worked fine for the lifetime of that PC! I don't think I'd have the patience...

This is what I hate about modern CPUs, those goddamn pins. I wish it was like back in the Pentium 2 days when it was just a slotted thing you plugged in.

I've bent the pins on my current cpu, mostly because when I tried to take off my PSU it took the cpu with it, drat thermal goop. I literally just sat there with a screw driver and adjusted until they were all relatively straight. Popped it in and crossed my fingers. She's still running =D

It's one of those stupid things you wish you didn't have to do with computers, but we're making things easier and easier as time goes by. I do not want to go back to the win 95/98 days when I started out (well apart from some of the games, and sweet delicious voodoo/glide action)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Last time I bent pins was probably about 6 years ago with an Athlon XP. I used a butter knife!

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Dodoman posted:

I've been building my own PCs for about a decade and that still terrifies me.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Bats posted:

This is what I hate about modern CPUs, those goddamn pins. I wish it was like back in the Pentium 2 days when it was just a slotted thing you plugged in.

I've bent the pins on my current cpu, mostly because when I tried to take off my PSU it took the cpu with it, drat thermal goop. I literally just sat there with a screw driver and adjusted until they were all relatively straight. Popped it in and crossed my fingers. She's still running =D

It's one of those stupid things you wish you didn't have to do with computers, but we're making things easier and easier as time goes by. I do not want to go back to the win 95/98 days when I started out (well apart from some of the games, and sweet delicious voodoo/glide action)

I'm pretty sure all modern CPU's now are Zero Insertion Force and just fall into place once they line up correctly, though it still terrified me when I built my machine. You know that small plastic cover that protects the CPU slot of the motherboard when you first take it out of the box? Well, never building a PC before I managed to accidentally snap one of the plastic hinges and it got stuck UNDER the metal casing for the CPU, and I couldn't get it out. It's still there to this day, 2 years down the road.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I've been building my own PCs for about a decade and that still terrifies me.

It takes so much force its like I'm going to snap or crush something.

Also I was really relieved when I saw that my cpu didn't have pins or anything, and just those weird contact points or whatever.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
There's nothing scarier than the aftermarket heatsinks of the 90's where you literally had a 50/50 chance of snapping your CPU in half. There were no fancy heatspreaders or lever-and-bracket solutions to help protect your CPU, you just had raw silicon. You'd slap that heatsink on there, and then to secure it you basically had to press down on it as hard as you could to get some metal teeth to hook under bracket.

The stuff they have today is kids stuff in comparison.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Lurchibles posted:

My friend did exactly the same thing 5 or 6 years ago. He had to sit there with some tweezers and manually readjust each pin. It took him over 10 hours, and it worked fine for the lifetime of that PC! I don't think I'd have the patience...

Your friend worked harder not smarter, about 2 months ago I cleaned out my case and decided to give my cpu cooler a good scrub down as well so I took it all apart. Upon removing the cpu I never used the levers, I pretty much pulled it out with brute force which was no problem until I decided to put it back together again and figured I didn't need the lever. My hasty decision led to about 1/4 of the pins to be bent, for the first time in all my years my laziness caught up with me and I began to panic. The original plan was to do as your friend did, work the pins one by one, this lasted until the second pin when I looked up and saw my glasses screwdriver kit. The shaft of the screwdriver was small enough to fit between the rows of pins and long enough to cover the entire CPU. In the end I had all my pins straightened out and in line with the unbent pins within minutes, I used the levers and my CPU was saved and my system has been fine ever since. For that reason alone I am wary of pins being in recessed sockets on the motherboard since my fix would never work in that scenario.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

The Flying Milton posted:

I damaged a motherboard once trying to clip on an Athlon XP cooler. I didn't spot that the spring clip had got stuck in the central groove of the heat-sink, and applied too much force with the screwdriver trying to get it on. The clip suddenly gave-way and the screwdriver slipped and scratched the motherboard!

Luckily all it did was knock out one of the memory sockets - it worked fine otherwise.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lurchibles posted:

I tried doing that, but I almost immediately snapped off one of the bent pins.

I'm not the most dexterous person out there. :negative:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Space Cadet posted:

Your friend worked harder not smarter, about 2 months ago I cleaned out my case and decided to give my cpu cooler a good scrub down as well so I took it all apart. Upon removing the cpu I never used the levers, I pretty much pulled it out with brute force which was no problem until I decided to put it back together again and figured I didn't need the lever. My hasty decision led to about 1/4 of the pins to be bent, for the first time in all my years my laziness caught up with me and I began to panic. The original plan was to do as your friend did, work the pins one by one, this lasted until the second pin when I looked up and saw my glasses screwdriver kit. The shaft of the screwdriver was small enough to fit between the rows of pins and long enough to cover the entire CPU. In the end I had all my pins straightened out and in line with the unbent pins within minutes, I used the levers and my CPU was saved and my system has been fine ever since. For that reason alone I am wary of pins being in recessed sockets on the motherboard since my fix would never work in that scenario.

A pocketknife works even better. I've realigned several dozen pins in fifteen minutes doing this - you just slide the knife in the row of pins and very gently straighten it out. Works like a charm.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

What I'm most worried about is static electricity. Damaging something without really noticing it, eventually sending the part back for a refund and getting some "hey, you put your greasy hands all over this, didn't you? 300 bucks down the drain for you, pal!" answer.

I wonder how important it really is though? My dad just touches the back of the case with a screw driver a couple of times before opening it. v:shobon:v

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Real pc gamers use anti-static wristbands.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Dodoman posted:

Real pc gamers use anti-static wristbands.

I don't know what's so hard about not working with the computer on carpet, or touching the metal case and powersupply before working on anything in the computer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anti-static bands cost about $5 and are well worth it.

Monitor
Dec 28, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Anti-static bands cost about $5 and are well worth it.

This statement seems silly until you zap a motherboard carelessly :(

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

The Flying Milton posted:

"Am I pushing too hard? Why isn't it clicking? Oh God please don't break. Seriously why isn't it going in? I must've done something wrong PLEASEDON'TBREAKPLEASEDON'TBREAKPLEASEDONT'T*click*"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Monitor posted:

This statement seems silly until you zap a motherboard carelessly :(

Yeah, they seem gimmicky but why not add in a little insurance when you're building something expensive? You'll only have to buy one for your entire life anyway.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Cheezymadman posted:

"Am I pushing too hard? Why isn't it clicking? Oh God please don't break. Seriously why isn't it going in? I must've done something wrong PLEASEDON'TBREAKPLEASEDON'TBREAKPLEASEDONT'T*click*"

Seriously. It was like trying to reel a 300 pound fish into a boat, only in reverse.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, I guess a wrist band is a cheap insurance.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Seriously. It was like trying to reel a 300 pound fish into a boat, only in reverse.

When I built my computer (which, allegedly, was a few years ago) most parts fit that description. You could feel, and hear, the motherboard bending as you put you full weight on the annoyingly fragile RAM stick. And you needn't stop pushing until you heard that CLICK sound. :ohdear:

Thankfully, PCI-16 slots for graphics cards are a lot more smooth.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Is anyone else running into weird problems with Steam Overlay's webkit browser? If I open a link in the overlay, it messes with the video card stack somehow. After opening a link, loading games hardlocks the screen several times spanning 30seconds until it loads. Alt-tabbing takes >10seconds. It can only be fixed by rebooting.

Maybe it's ATI's new drivers? Maybe it's Firefox4 somehow? Maybe it's Adobe Flash?
I dunno wtf and I was wondering if anyone else has this.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

darkhand posted:

Is anyone else running into weird problems with Steam Overlay's webkit browser? If I open a link in the overlay, it messes with the video card stack somehow. After opening a link, loading games hardlocks the screen several times spanning 30seconds until it loads. Alt-tabbing takes >10seconds. It can only be fixed by rebooting.

Maybe it's ATI's new drivers? Maybe it's Firefox4 somehow? Maybe it's Adobe Flash?
I dunno wtf and I was wondering if anyone else has this.

Holy crap, that sounds nasty. Only thing I can offer is that Firefox (4) doesn't use Webkit and I've been using Firefox 4 since alpha and I have had no problems with it :(

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

K8.0 posted:

If you buy Intel this is basically as unscary as possible because since late Pentium 4s Intel CPUs don't have pins (they're on the motherboard which makes them a ton safer since you get the CPU in place and drop it onto them without ever really being able to bend them) and the coolers mount in such a way that it's almost impossible to damage the CPU.

I call foul on that cooler thing. Mounting heatsinks onto LGA 775 processors almost gave me a coronary. The locking posts were so loose that they'd wiggle and lock themselves as you put the heat sink onto the CPU. The motherboard would make some awesome cracking sounds as I tried to force the posts into the holes, unsure of whether they were locked or not.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Amrosorma posted:

Holy crap, that sounds nasty. Only thing I can offer is that Firefox (4) doesn't use Webkit and I've been using Firefox 4 since alpha and I have had no problems with it :(

Yeah It's pretty drat frustrating. I knew Firefox doesn't use webkit, but I vaguely remember that it does some GPU fuckery under the hood. I've pretty much ruled out FF4. I just can't pinpoint it exactly because I updated Steam, Firefox, ATI drivers, and Flash within the same couple days, and afterwards this problem started happening.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Putting my Athlon X2 into my AM3 mobo was a pretty easy affar; there's a reason why it's called zero force insertion. What are all of you doing, trying to jam the chip in there? :v:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Building a computer in the '90s was a completely different beast than it is today.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Starhawk64 posted:

Putting my Athlon X2 into my AM3 mobo was a pretty easy affar; there's a reason why it's called zero force insertion. What are all of you doing, trying to jam the chip in there? :v:

It's not installing the chip that people are complaining about, it's installing the heatsink.

I was so glad when I got my current I5 processor. The fan was so much more confusing but so much easier to install.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be my first time installing a cpu and motherboard in a couple weeks. I think I'm gonna come to you guys for moral support. :ohdear:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FuriousGeorge posted:

It's gonna be my first time installing a cpu and motherboard in a couple weeks. I think I'm gonna come to you guys for moral support. :ohdear:

Did you order some Mobo-Wax? God, I couldn't imagine trying to install a motherboard without the proper wax.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did you order some Mobo-Wax? God, I couldn't imagine trying to install a motherboard without the proper wax.

I just hope he makes sure his case is sealed up good before he pours the oil in for the first immersion test.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
The goold on Athlon XP socket. I actually chipped the silicon and scratched my board when trying to install the loving heatsink. She worked like a beauty through it all anyways and overclocked at that!

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
:siren: SURPRISE RELEASES THIS PAST WEEK :siren:

:siren: RELEASING THIS WEEK :siren:

:siren: DEMOS, DOWNLOADS, MODS, & FREEBIES :siren:

MIRROR'S EDGE - "Overtime" Mod, a sizable and really good looking prequel to the base game

TES IV: OBLIVION - "Integration: The Stranded Light" Mod, a really nice looking quest/content mod that adds over 80 new quests to the game "with a strong emphasis on thinking, character interaction, choices, consequences, and lore."

THE NEXT BIG THING (Adventure) - Demo

ANOMALY: WARZONE EARTH (Strategy/Tower Defense) - Demo

THEATRE OF WAR 3: KOREA (Historical Strategy) - Demo

BATTLE SLOTS (Puzzle/RPG) - Demo

BASEBALL MOGUL 2012 (Sports Management Sim) - Demo

WILDLIFE PARK 3 (Park Sim) - Demo

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

The most difficult heat sink I ever had to install was when I was building a co-worker's PC for them, at their house, while they watched. It was a terribly hot day, and the heat sink was being a total fucker. I was finally able to get it latched by using two butter knives in a very risky procedure that could have ended in disaster.

I will admit, though, that the moment it clicked and the few minutes afterwards were probably as close as I will come to knowing how a doctor feels when they have delivered a baby. We practically broke out cigars to celebrate.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Ha ha ha ha - I can imagine the developers meeting.

"You know guys, there hasn't been a game like Mortal Kombat for a while."
"Well, there's been all those MK games that have come out practically yearly..."
"No no, I mean with digitally captured actors put over a CG background."
"... no, you're right Bob, there hasn't been."
"You know, there's a gap in the market there."
"There's really not."
"What if we throw some boobs in?"
"Ok, let's go."

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The dialogue was actually more like "What if we made Mortal Kombat, but with STRIPPERS wrasslin in bikinis" because that seems much more representative of the finished product.

Similar to "Heaven: The Game" when they decided to make the saint stripperella which is hilarious considering the target audience that might buy "Heaven: The Game." It's now $15 direct from their website and there's even a few youtube videos floating around of suckers who bought it.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
The astonishing thing about Warriors of Elysia is that it's not the first game that the development studio has produced. Their first game was the aptly-named Bikini Karate Babes, which spawned a hilarious 1.5/10 review on IGN and pretty much nothing else of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I honestly expected this to be some sort of city building game from that picture. I'm kind of disappointed it's not.

• Locked thread