Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
There was a movie with people in a tent in the snow and there were wolves. And they were eating rats, maybe. I have no idea what this was, I saw it in the late 80's I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

JustinMorgan posted:

There was a movie with people in a tent in the snow and there were wolves. And they were eating rats, maybe. I have no idea what this was, I saw it in the late 80's I think.

Never Cry Wolf

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES
I've spent the better half of my life knowing the movie Groundhog Day was about a semi-important man who got stuck in a time loop, reliving the same day over and over again. What I didn't know until yesterday though was that the star was Bill Murray, and not Wesley Snipes. I also learned it was a romantic comedy, and not an action drama in which Snipes died at the end of each day and had to find a way to save his own life.

Where the hell did I get this idea? Is there a movie like that, or am I just insane? I have the movie poster for this in my head, and I swear to god it was called Groundhog Day.

PicklesMcGillicuddy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 11, 2011

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

I've spent the better half of my life knowing the movie Groundhog Day was about a semi-important man who got stuck in a time loop, reliving the same day over and over again. What I didn't know until yesterday though was that the star was Bill Murray, and not Wesley Snipes. I also learned it was a romantic comedy, and not an action drama in which Snipes died at the end of each day and had to find a way to save his own life.

Where the hell did I get this idea? Is there a movie like that, or am I just insane? I have the movie poster for this in my head, and I swear to god it was called Groundhog Day.

It sounds like you may have it confused with the TV series Daybreak:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

PINE CONES

zombieman posted:

It sounds like you may have it confused with the TV series Daybreak:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break

Except I've had this memory since the late 90s. Show sounds pretty interesting, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How did you go this long without actually seeing Groundhog Day?

Nothing from Snipes' filmography seems to fit, but have a look at the posters in all of the links. They might jog something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Snipes#Filmography

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

There was a TV movie called 12:01 about a man who was repeating the same day over and over. He didn't die at the end of the day but the love interest did. The main character isn't black though.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106188/combined

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Huge list of movies and TV episodes with time loops. Have at it.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Time_loop

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

PINE CONES
I've actually still never seen Groundhog Day, but it's on my to-do list now. I looked through that time loop link the other day and found nothing like it, and just checked out the movie posters with no luck. Maybe it was Denzel Washngton and not Wesley Snipes, but I'm starting to think it was just a childhood lie. Thanks everyone.

PicklesMcGillicuddy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 11, 2011

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Alright this has been bugging the gently caress out of for weeks now, when I saw half this movie on BBC4.

The part I saw was about this middle aged guy who is a driver for some scumbag politician who gets boozed up and kills someone in a hit and run, then convinces our man to take the fall. We then see the dude getting out of jail, where his 20 something son gives him a lift home, after they go visit the grave of their dead brother/son. I think the son might be a junkie or something as theres a scene where hes lying in bed looking like total poo poo, tripping the gently caress out.

Its either Turkish or Iranian, done in a a verite style. I think it might have won awards and poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ugh I know exactly what movie that is but cant remember the title other than it being a combination of a number as the first word and an animal as the second.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 11, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Three Monkeys

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

BeigeJacket posted:

Alright this has been bugging the gently caress out of for weeks now, when I saw half this movie on BBC4.

The part I saw was about this middle aged guy who is a driver for some scumbag politician who gets boozed up and kills someone in a hit and run, then convinces our man to take the fall. We then see the dude getting out of jail, where his 20 something son gives him a lift home, after they go visit the grave of their dead brother/son. I think the son might be a junkie or something as theres a scene where hes lying in bed looking like total poo poo, tripping the gently caress out.

Its either Turkish or Iranian, done in a a verite style. I think it might have won awards and poo poo.

Three Monkeys

edit: whoops, some penis already found it in the time it took me to remember

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

penismightier posted:

Three Monkeys

Hey there it is, nice catch man

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I've actually still never seen Groundhog Day, but it's on my to-do list now. I looked through that time loop link the other day and found nothing like it, and just checked out the movie posters with no luck. Maybe it was Denzel Washngton and not Wesley Snipes, but I'm starting to think it was just a childhood lie. Thanks everyone.

My Dear Pickles, the movie you are looking for is Deja Vu, starring Denzel Washington. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453467/

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
God, I hope somebody can help me with this one. I'm trying to remember the name of this anime I saw... at least a decade ago, but it was probably old then. The best way I can describe it is "Akira with Demons. Also there was a robot."

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Unexpected EOF posted:

God, I hope somebody can help me with this one. I'm trying to remember the name of this anime I saw... at least a decade ago, but it was probably old then. The best way I can describe it is "Akira with Demons. Also there was a robot."

You would probably have better luck asking in the anime forum.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

FitFortDanga posted:

You would probably have better luck asking in the anime forum.

Somebody identified Roujin Z for me in this thread or a thread like it in here for me before v:shobon:v

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Unexpected EOF posted:

Demon City Shinjuku? It's got demons, a demon hunter, and takes place in a destroyed falling apart Tokyo. It's pretty old as well. Sci Fi used to run it on their Anime Saturday or whatever the gently caress they called it, and since they didn't have an overly prodigious selection to pick from it was on rather often as I recall.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

anticake posted:

Demon City Shinjuku? It's got demons, a demon hunter, and takes place in a destroyed falling apart Tokyo. It's pretty old as well. Sci Fi used to run it on their Anime Saturday or whatever the gently caress they called it, and since they didn't have an overly prodigious selection to pick from it was on rather often as I recall.

Oddly, I think it may be this and another movie melding themselves together in my mind. I distinctly remember a pre-wrecked Japan, but a lot of the creature designs in the clips I'm seeing are definitely something I was remembering.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

The Washing Machine?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105785/

It could also be The Mangler, I guess, since that's 1995.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113762/

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I was going to see either Transformers 1 or Tropic Thunder with my friends. Can't remeber which. There was either a poster advertisement or a preview for one movie I can barely remember poo poo about, other than I wanted to see it, and I just never got around it to it. It had an all star cast, and was some sort of mafia crime movie. Or I could be completely wrong and imagined the whole thing. This is vague as hell but it'd be great if some one had some ideas, because it's been bugging the poo poo out of me.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Harrower posted:

I was going to see either Transformers 1 or Tropic Thunder with my friends. Can't remeber which. There was either a poster advertisement or a preview for one movie I can barely remember poo poo about, other than I wanted to see it, and I just never got around it to it. It had an all star cast, and was some sort of mafia crime movie. Or I could be completely wrong and imagined the whole thing. This is vague as hell but it'd be great if some one had some ideas, because it's been bugging the poo poo out of me.

Some crime movies that came out around then:

Public Enemies
American Gangster
Eastern Promises
We Own the Night
Staten Island

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

CHOICE COD posted:

Some crime movies that came out around then:

Public Enemies
American Gangster
Eastern Promises
We Own the Night
Staten Island

It was public enemies. Recognized the trailer immediatley, thanks a lot.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I asked about this one earlier, but thought of a couple specific scenes.

Saw this movie late 80's early 90's I think it was a coming of age type story, brother and sister are separated from their parents, parents may be dead, they go and live with an older female relative. The kids like to play pranks, the one being a scene where the girl pretends to cut the end of her finger off at school, I think she used ketchup as blood. The other scene I remember is where they are playing a prank on their neighbor, I think to punish him, the girl puts on a white sheet like a poncho, and their supposed to make it look like a ghost in one of the guy's trees, but he gets there early or she loses the mask she was gonna wear, so he thinks she was an angel, and in an odd coincidence the shadows of some of the branches of the tree she was in make a picture of Jesus' face. Any help finding this would be great.

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
Hey guys :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: wants to know about a flick she saw about 10 years ago.
Something about a plane flying through the Bermuda Triangle, the passengers had to be asleep to survive going through and at the end one guy sacrifices himself to fly the plane while everyone else nods off, and all that's left of him when they wake up is his jewelry. Any ideas?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Lurch posted:

Hey guys :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: wants to know about a flick she saw about 10 years ago.
Something about a plane flying through the Bermuda Triangle, the passengers had to be asleep to survive going through and at the end one guy sacrifices himself to fly the plane while everyone else nods off, and all that's left of him when they wake up is his jewelry. Any ideas?

The Langoliers again

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I never understood why they just didn't use autopilot.

gruvmeister
Dec 28, 2006

Spring has sprung,
The grass has riz,
I wonder where the flowers is
Someone had to lower the cabin pressure to knock everyone else out.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Two movies that have been bugging the crap out of me for well over a decade:

Movie 1 - Period piece, a man is executed by decapitation, and his head falls into a river far below the execution site. His daughter (?) jumps in after the head and is found later holding it.

Movie 2 - Maybe a war film, all I remember is a girl looking for her father, who is in the military. Towards the end she finds the truck he's on but it's already moving down the road, faster than she can catch it. She stands in the middle of the road and cries, but then her father comes walking back to her.

It's likely these films were made in the mid-80's at the earliest, and maybe 95 at the latest; I believe I caught them on TV back then.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

FreshFeesh posted:

Two movies that have been bugging the crap out of me for well over a decade:

Movie 1 - Period piece, a man is executed by decapitation, and his head falls into a river far below the execution site. His daughter (?) jumps in after the head and is found later holding it.

Movie 2 - Maybe a war film, all I remember is a girl looking for her father, who is in the military. Towards the end she finds the truck he's on but it's already moving down the road, faster than she can catch it. She stands in the middle of the road and cries, but then her father comes walking back to her.

It's likely these films were made in the mid-80's at the earliest, and maybe 95 at the latest; I believe I caught them on TV back then.

#2 sounds like The Journey of Natty Gann.

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax

Mouser.. posted:

The Langoliers

She says that's the one!
Cheers mate.

Lurch fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 20, 2011

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy
I saw this at least 10 years ago. I am not sure if it was a movie.

The only things I remember vaguely are that it was very funny, probably a parody; there was a space ship involved and dramatic music would be played on the ship's speakers whenever someone spoke the name of the ship.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

spathi-wa posted:

I saw this at least 10 years ago. I am not sure if it was a movie.

The only things I remember vaguely are that it was very funny, probably a parody; there was a space ship involved and dramatic music would be played on the ship's speakers whenever someone spoke the name of the ship.

Airplane 2?

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
Or maybe Dark Star?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069945/

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Topper Harley posted:

Or maybe Dark Star?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069945/

He said "very funny." Dark Star was like wading through hip-deep cement until the last 10 minutes which were absolutely amazing.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
There was this movie, I believe it was about the Bosnian War, or perhaps another war that happened during the 90's, and it was cel-shaded/animated. It came out a few years ago, about 2006-8 and there were advertisements for it on the London Underground and TV in the UK. If it helps i remember the main character has short dark hair, and smoked in the adverts?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cokeysmoke posted:

There was this movie, I believe it was about the Bosnian War, or perhaps another war that happened during the 90's, and it was cel-shaded/animated. It came out a few years ago, about 2006-8 and there were advertisements for it on the London Underground and TV in the UK. If it helps i remember the main character has short dark hair, and smoked in the adverts?

Waltz With Bashir, probably

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I remember as a wee child watching a horror movie of some kind but I only remember one scene rather vividly. Best estimate for a time frame would be 20 years ago. I believe it was on TV, possibly HBO, given the violence of the scene.

Someone in a black coat and hat, their face concealed, walks up the outside steps to a home holding a shotgun while a blonde woman in a blue dress or blouse watches on, horrified. The strange killer person enters the house and shoots the woman. Another woman who, in my memory, resembles Alice from the Brady Brunch, shows up with a gun to try and presumably defend the home from the killer but she too gets shot down.

There is a room with a few scared children on the second story of the house, one or more of them clutching stuffed animals, sitting on a bed, trying not to betray their presence to the intruder.

The last part I remember is the intruder opening the door to the room and, from a side angle, we see them fire several shots into what I assume is the room full of children.

That's all I got. For some reason I always remember this at the oddest times for the feeling of suspense and helplessness it evoked.

EDIT: The house itself looked very log cabin-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010

morestuff posted:

Waltz With Bashir, probably

That's it, dunno where I got the Bosnia bit from. Many Thanks.