Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, I should have clarified; the ammo explosion would do damage and force a consciousness check just like the head punch would. And I am begging for that at this point. The dice have to give me one lucky break at some point... right?

...right?

...because I don't have much time left. D:

don't worry muka, it's not like your going to fall on your head and die standing

so going to die standing up

oh new page, i guess we can throw up an mech here, in honor of somerset:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, I should have clarified; the ammo explosion would do damage and force a consciousness check just like the head punch would. And I am begging for that at this point. The dice have to give me one lucky break at some point... right?

...right?

...because I don't have much time left. D:

Well, let me just butcher a quote.

"Out of commission, become a turret. Out of weapons, become a brawler. Out of time, become a hero."

I think you're about to become a hero. Don't worry, the ComGuard will win this one where the Great Houses can't. Hopefully. Maybe the 2nd Donegal will get revenge in a few years with ISL2 tech. If releasing the tech doesn't cause a major schism.

Which would be a kind of cool scenario, renegade ComStar operators fighting the ComGuard in an attempt to release the technological files necessary to fight the Clans on a reasonably even footing throughout the Sphere.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Something that needs to be remembered is that Steel Vipers are cheating bastards for Clansmen. As much as they disrespect the rules, they are still playing the Zellbringen game. They will still respect a good player, even if they also feel sorry for him/her for playing the game straight, and they will still get angry at a combatant who refuses to acknowledge the game altogether.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Poptarts, what does Zell say should happen if both pilots simultainously destroy/disable each other's BattleMechs and both are still alive and conscious at the end of the fight?

That really couldn't happen, since they're in the middle of a forest fire. They'd both suffocate within a few minutes if their 'Mechs lost life support.

VVVV I will generally take the result that is to the players' benefit, unless I think the other path would be more interesting from a storyline perspective.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 18, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

That really couldn't happen, since they're in the middle of a forest fire. They'd both suffocate within a few minutes if their 'Mechs lost life support.

Neither of them has any kind of emergency breath masks with them?

Of course, heat, too. Still, they could relocate out of the forest, so point remains; what should happen if two 'mechs simultaneously disable one another without a clear winner?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Man, I just started reading from turn 11, and this is :black101: as gently caress. Please ignore all the haters, and don't do something dishonorable.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

I just caught up from a few turns ago, and wow, this has literally turned into a knock down, drag out, brutal melee. There isn't really much I can add at this point. Muk, I think you've got a fairly good sense of things: clanners may have a weird, exploitable sense of honor, and a societal structure that lends itself to individual battles rather than a sustained turf war, but they aren't stupid. Playing this hand does well for the Lyran reputation, and does as well for buying time as breaking the rules would, if not better. If cheating might lead to victory, I could see advocating it, but killing the opposing mechs isn't the goal - buying time is, and in this case that means being slowly dismantled, critical by critical. It's a heroic story of a different kind, or a tragedy, depending on what the dice say.

I can't wait to see how it plays out. This thread has been all kinds of good for inspiring drama, with propaganda, side content, people rooting for both sides of the conflict, the underpinning fluff, and players making their calls as to what they think is the best course of action. Wherever this is going, I look forward to it.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

quote:

Man, I just started reading from turn 11, and this is as gently caress. Please ignore all the haters, and don't do something dishonorable.

Really, it could not end any other way. I am, as far as I have seen, the person on this thread with the biggest soft spot for the Clans as a whole. Given a choice between breaking zell and the slim chance at 'beating' the Clans at their own game... there really was not anything else I could do, was there?

Although I am willing to 'stretch' the rules somewhat. As you will see if I survive this round.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 18, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Really, it could not end any other way. I am, as far as I have seen, the person on this thread with the biggest soft spot for the Clans as a whole.

What, me actively cheering for the Clan to win wasn't enough? :(

Can I at least be a close second?

Edit: Hmmm, does that mean I should be asking you to cheat so as to show the morality of the Clans to be superior, or not to cheat so you'll probably lose and grant them a victory?

Actually, you just winning means you'll be alive to quibble about morals later. Go legal-like!

Edit2: vvvv Yes, I know, just hoping against hope they won't hit the 15 turn limit :) That's a bit mean to the hardworking players though, because getting all this set up and fighting this holding action took a lot of work, I'm guessing. But I got to hold out for my favorite teams, right?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 18, 2011

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evilmiera posted:

What, me actively cheering for the Clan to win wasn't enough? :(

Can I at least be a close second?

Edit: Hmmm, does that mean I should be asking you to cheat so as to show the morality of the Clans to be superior, or not to cheat so you'll probably lose and grant them a victory?

Actually, you just winning means you'll be alive to quibble about morals later. Go legal-like!

The players are guaranteed to lose, in that the clans WILL overrun the planet. Victory is holding out until turn 20 so that the dropshop can take off.

Just try to stand back up, like a battered and concussed boxer. If you still stand, you haven't yet lost.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Will dying on turn 20 count as a win?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
EDIT: wrong thread I am a tool

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Neither of them has any kind of emergency breath masks with them?

Well you have to keep in mind Clover would have to get her neurohelmet off first and that just sounds painful from the sprained back alone.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I'm new to the battletech lore/fluff. At first I thought the clans where more like the mongols coming to rape pillage, and plunder the Inner Sphere. The more I learn about the clans the less I like them.

Also break the Zellbringen thing before the Vipers do. Vipers are snakes.

You never trust a snake.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Popy posted:

I'm new to the battletech lore/fluff. At first I thought the clans where more like the mongols coming to rape pillage, and plunder the Inner Sphere. The more I learn about the clans the less I like them.

Nope. They're here to capture Terra and declare the Star League restored, thinking that if they capture Earth, the Successor States will have no choice but to roll over and concede to the rule of the new Star League.

They're morons.

quote:

Also break the Zellbringen thing before the Vipers do. Vipers are snakes.

You never trust a snake.

The reasons that Mukakubo is not going to break Zell have been adequately explained above, by both him and others.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Nah, the clan are more like the Crusaders. The real ones that is, not the sanitized, western-friendly version usually taught. A bunch of military types get bored and sanctimonious, convince themselves it's their divine duty to kick rear end and take names and force some good old-fashioned Catholicism honor on the barbarians over in the Sphere.

Still, there are some good ones (except Smoke Jaguars), and by and large they refrain from atrocities (and again, except Smoke Jaguars).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

Will dying on turn 20 count as a win?

Nope. But dying on Turn 21 will, since the 'survival counter' is one turn behind the turn counter. Turn 1 is actually 'Turn 0' (i.e., free movement by the players to get themselves set up).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Volmarias posted:

Man, I just started reading from turn 11, and this is :black101: as gently caress. Please ignore all the haters, and don't do something dishonorable.

Honestly, I'm surprised we lasted as long as we did. 4 Inner Sphere mechs and a tank against 10 Clan mechs? That's loving ridiculously lopsided. FOr a while I thought PTN may have had some late reinforcements planned or something.

But still, when you consider that they outnumbered us, outweighed us, AND had bullshit Clan tech, we really held out pretty loving well. It was the headshot to the Banshee that really turned the tide, I think. Without that we definitely would have made it to turn 20.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised we lasted as long as we did. 4 Inner Sphere mechs and a tank against 10 Clan mechs? That's loving ridiculously lopsided. FOr a while I thought PTN may have had some late reinforcements planned or something.

But still, when you consider that they outnumbered us, outweighed us, AND had bullshit Clan tech, we really held out pretty loving well. It was the headshot to the Banshee that really turned the tide, I think. Without that we definitely would have made it to turn 20.

Yeah, the players have given an outstanding performance. They certainly have lasted far longer than I expected. Shall we start nominating MVPs for either side?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

landcollector posted:

Yeah, the players have given an outstanding performance. They certainly have lasted far longer than I expected. Shall we start nominating MVPs for either side?

Steiner MVP: That adorable little tank! It's so cuOH GOD THAT'S AN AC/20, THE PAIN
Viper MVP: Mechwarrior Knox's inner ear

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Really their abuse of Zell is what saved them, the tank i think is the mvp of the fight, and really the gyro they shot out helped a ton too :v:

Knox's concussion/inner ear is a better choice

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 19

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B5 Lucerne!
Random Ace Gamma: G2 Unknown Assault 2!

L2 Zeus must make a piloting test to stand (5 base + 0 movement + 2 previously destroyed foot actuators - 2 careful stand = 5): rolled 7, succeeds!

B4 Mugger walks to 1413!

Combat Phase:
L2 Zeus holds fire
L2 Zeus gains 1 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

B4 holds fire!
B4 Mugger gains 2 heat, sinks 28! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne holds fire!
B5 Lucerne gains 0 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

End Phase

Physical Combat Phase:
L2 Zeus punches B5 Lucerne with Right Arm (5 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 0 punch = 6): rolled 4, miss!
L2 Zeus punches b5 Lucerne with Left Arm (5 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 0 punch + 1 no hand actuator = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (0/20 armor remains)!

B5 Lucerne kicks L2 Zeus (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Steel Viper in Melee Combat - 1 kick = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (3/17 structure remains)! Critical chance!

End Phase:
L2 Zeus critical chance in right leg! No critical hit sustained!

L2 Zeus must make a piloting test or fall (5 base + 0 hexes moved + 2 previously destroyed foot actuator + 0 kicked = 7): rolled 7, succeeds!

L2 Zeus gains 10 heat due to fire, sinks 17! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne gains 10 heat due to fire, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

The Clanner stood stock still, watching impassively as Sam regained her feet. It was a strain, footless, her neurohelmet demanding input her aching skull didn’t want to provide, but she made it. She stood, glaring at the Clan ‘machine through her cracked cockpit glass.

The Clanner lunged, and Sam swatted it with both arms; smashing the Clan machine’s right arm and shattering the last of its armor. The Clanner’s kick was hardly surprising, but the bare metal skeleton of her Zeus’s legs simply ground into the dirt at the Clanner’s blow.

Enemy Forces:
B4 Mugger: Waiting to move!
B5 Lucerne: Remains stationary!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Remains Stationary!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star!
(Partial Victory)
Survive! (18/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green!

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Notes: Destroyed by ammunition explosion!

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 4/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 21/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 10/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 3/6
LA A(S): 4/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 19/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 0/24 (8/17)
RL A(S):0/24 (3/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0 (reduced to 2/3/0 by damage)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained back (consciousness 3+)!
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Left Foot Actuator Destroyed! Right Foot Actuator Destroyed!
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot killed!

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot taken by the Clans!

Rommel Tank:
Notes: Tank destroyed, crew escaped into the woods!

Enemy Status
Beta Krait
B1 Battle Cobra
Critical Damage: Destroyed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Critical Damage: Right Arm Destroyed!
Notes: Retreated off map!

B3 Copperhead
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: Forced off map!

B4 Mugger
Tonnage: 65
Target: CP-10-Z Cyclops!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Azael
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes:

B5 Lucerne
Tonnage: 65
Target: ZEU-6S Zeus
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Drang
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

Gamma Boa
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Pilot Name: ???
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 18, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
muka you might want to switch sides, cause that leg is about to go :gonk:

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Yeah, now is not the best time for the Lucerne to win initiative. :ohdear:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Go Muk, Go!:black101:
Show that Clanner whose boss!
Hey, wait, isn't one of the Mugger's actuator's destroyed? It doesn't have to pass a check to move?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

You think that my other leg has any more substance to it at this point?

No matter. The Wolfhound stood with one leg. I must not fail to match him. The end is near- all that I can do is all that I can do.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

And to pull up the earlier discussion of Samantha alpha striking the Lucerne: the Zeus isn't exactly a big-gun assault. Assuming everything hits it has a large laser (8 points), medium laser (5 points), AC/5 (5 points), and 15 LRMs (but no way is she hitting with those this close.

18 points of damage in 3 groups is not going to be enough to KO the Lucerne barring ridiculous luck, but it probably WOULD be enough for them to break Zell and have the Mugger start lobbing Artemis FCS-enabled missiles at her.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

WarLocke posted:

And to pull up the earlier discussion of Samantha alpha striking the Lucerne: the Zeus isn't exactly a big-gun assault. Assuming everything hits it has a large laser (8 points), medium laser (5 points), AC/5 (5 points), and 15 LRMs but no way is she hitting with those this close.

Actually, she's been hitting him with the LRM launcher pretty effectively.

I was hoping Muk planned to lure him into the hex with the dumped ammo and Try Something Desperate (and technically illegal), but it is difficult to maneuver your opponent into making a mistake when you are grinding around on your ankle-stumps.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

And to pull up the earlier discussion of Samantha alpha striking the Lucerne: the Zeus isn't exactly a big-gun assault. Assuming everything hits it has a large laser (8 points), medium laser (5 points), AC/5 (5 points), and 15 LRMs (but no way is she hitting with those this close.

18 points of damage in 3 groups is not going to be enough to KO the Lucerne barring ridiculous luck, but it probably WOULD be enough for them to break Zell and have the Mugger start lobbing Artemis FCS-enabled missiles at her.

you forget he dumpped the ammo, muka the :black101: :patriot:

oh, well like warlock said that would give him 1 time to do 18 damage, not very effective sadly.
VVVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 18, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

you forget he dumpped the ammo, muka the :black101: :patriot:

Every bit of ammo that wasn't already in the firing chamber / launcher.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

This may seem crazy, but... Muk? Step down a level into partial cover.

Your leg is super vulnerable at this point. Move so you're on a lower level and the leg is protected by the hill. Force the Clanner to either kick you in the strong leg or in a partial. You lose that leg and you're not really boned any worse than a headkick. In partial, you've got a 5/6ths chance of survival - normally, it's a 100% chance of going down.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Tempest_56 posted:

Your leg is super vulnerable at this point. Move so you're on a lower level and the leg is protected by the hill. Force the Clanner to either kick you in the strong leg or in a partial. You lose that leg and you're not really boned any worse than a headkick. In partial, you've got a 5/6ths chance of survival - normally, it's a 100% chance of going down.

You want him to back up into a level change with two broken foot actuators? What's the piloting check on that, a 47?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

My orders have already gone out. You will, I think, approve of them. In the end, they are my last option for surviving two more rounds- and they are a long shot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TildeATH posted:

You want him to back up into a level change with two broken foot actuators? What's the piloting check on that, a 47?

turn towards the step down, move down for 2, turn back towards the clanner, torso twist and pummel

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jesus christ you're all insane! You want Muk to throw another punch to do maybe four damage when her leg is literally about to snap off!? You have two* lasers and an autocannon! SHOOT THE FUCKER! 18 damage is more than 4! You can't keep hoping the dice will give you a break, even if they do the chance of incapacitating the Lucerne is tiny, you are out of options, SHOOT THE BASTARD!

*IS moron techs installed one of them on the rear torso :doh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

turn towards the step down, move down for 2, turn back towards the clanner, torso twist and pummel

The Zeus has lost 2 foot actuators, it's a 2/3/0 right now.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Jesus christ you're all insane! You want Muk to throw another punch to do maybe four damage when her leg is literally about to snap off!? You have two* lasers and an autocannon! SHOOT THE FUCKER! 18 damage is more than 4! You can't keep hoping the dice will give you a break, even if they do the chance of incapacitating the Lucerne is tiny, you are out of options, SHOOT THE BASTARD!

Neg.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Zeus has lost 2 foot actuators, it's a 2/3/0 right now.

Of course, what Muk should do is back up, thereby falling on purpose and likely getting a TKO on the survival turn limit as he tries to get up.

It's totally cheating, but that's about the only real chance he has of using up those turns.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Here's my thought: we can't fight in melee anymore, tell him you have one salvo of missiles left and ask if he wants to roll the dice.

It will buy us one more turn. It probably won't accomplish anything, but it will keep them off the dropships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

WarLocke posted:

• Locked thread