Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Travis343 posted:

Ok, I mentioned these guys earlier in the thread, but I think I'm finally happy with everyone's hair and decals. Here's my RPG adventuring party.

That minstrel's cittern/guitar/mandolin is genius in its simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
A whole weekend of fiddling got me this:

I should be done sometime next year, as usual.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I dunno if this is old news to the thread, I don't remember seeing it before. A 20 module Lego machine that moves little balls around, and at one point somehow separates them into the two types;
http://wimp.com/massivelego/

I thought I'd toss it into the youtube thread, but I also figured it belonged here.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

vandalism posted:

There were polar bears in the arctic explorers line.

Well, obviously it's time to do a LOST tribute in LEGO.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Travis343 posted:

Ok, I mentioned these guys earlier in the thread, but I think I'm finally happy with everyone's hair and decals. Here's my RPG adventuring party.

Aw dag, what's the cross shield from?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrainWeasel posted:

Aw dag, what's the cross shield from?

It's a custom decal! Most of their torso pieces are also custom, and the capes as well.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Decided to take a crisp :20bux: to Toys'R'Us last weekend and picked up some fun cubicle decorations.

I did fairly good at feeling through the packages to find what I wanted. The surfer girl isn't at all what I thought it was, but at least it looks pretty good. Thanks for the tip about the rubbery hair on the mad scientist, that made him dead simple to pull out.

I swear that I'm going to have a full x-wing armada next time I post here. This is the fault of everyone here.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Travis343 posted:

It's a custom decal! Most of their torso pieces are also custom, and the capes as well.

What do you use for printing them? I haven't found any clear recommendations, and painting just isn't cutting it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barometer posted:

I dunno if this is old news to the thread, I don't remember seeing it before. A 20 module Lego machine that moves little balls around, and at one point somehow separates them into the two types;
http://wimp.com/massivelego/

I thought I'd toss it into the youtube thread, but I also figured it belonged here.

How does the truck @ 6:30 work?

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

einTier posted:

Well, obviously it's time to do a LOST tribute in LEGO.

This was my desktop for a very long time.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
KMart: buy two, get one. They have such a small selection tho.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Making progress on my Thunderbolt. Was tricky to get a 15-tube missile rack on its shoulder in a way that looked proportional, but I think I'm close. Torso looks boxy, but then, its a battlemech and its supposed to. Will look better once I find time to do the arms. I'm cheating putting the jump jets on the torso instead of the legs, but this thread doesn't care, I think.

InfinEight posted:

A whole weekend of fiddling got me this:

I should be done sometime next year, as usual.

It looks kinda cool, whatever it is :). Mecha head?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

afflictionwisp posted:

It looks kinda cool, whatever it is :). Mecha head?

Looks like Metal Gear RAY to me. The minifig is a dead ringer for Revolver Ocelot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrainWeasel posted:

What do you use for printing them? I haven't found any clear recommendations, and painting just isn't cutting it.

Most of the serious customizers use waterslide decals, which actually let you print onto a transparent sheet, get the decal wet, and then slide it onto the piece. When it dries it's virtually identical to professional lego printing.

I can't find those for sale, though, so my decals are just Avery fullsheet peel-and-stick labels run through an inkjet printer. The quality you get depends on how nice your printer is - mine is kind of lovely, so I often end up going over my blacks with ink pens and brightening my colors with Prismacolor markers anyway.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

afflictionwisp posted:

Making progress on my Thunderbolt.

That looks sick. I'm thinking of building a Thor/Summoner (not my own, but that battletech guy who's made them all up) one of these days, but is it too great of a project for a new AFOL? Also, is there a way to print up a parts list for a multi-part CAD file? That would let me understand the shopping list.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

That looks sick. I'm thinking of building a Thor/Summoner (not my own, but that battletech guy who's made them all up) one of these days, but is it too great of a project for a new AFOL? Also, is there a way to print up a parts list for a multi-part CAD file? That would let me understand the shopping list.

I used his Hellbringer as a starting point to learn MLCAD. Most of his classic battletech designs aren't very complex (a few of them don't actually work), you should be fine. LDView has an option to export a parts list from a multipart MLCAD file.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Well Manicured Man posted:

Looks like Metal Gear RAY to me. The minifig is a dead ringer for Revolver Ocelot.

I figured Ocelot would give it away. After I posted that first pic I realized it was way too big and tried to shrink it down more:

The hatch is gonna be interesting... and the chin/mouth... and the arms... :suicide:

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Forgot to add in my last post. I just got back from Orlando and hit the PAB at the temporary LEGO tent. Man, you can fit more into the large cups than I thought. The whole ordeal took an hour and a half between packing and helping haggard parents and very excited kids. I'm about to unload the cup now. I'll try to take some pics to show off my haul, lets just say I have A LOT of antennas.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

As a going away present, my workmates bought me the Shuttle Adventure

I just moved into my apartment yesterday, and I'm still waiting for my furniture etc to be delivered. In the mean-time, I bought the little rover thing, and had loads of fun trying to make a moonscape out of my very limited resources:

A chainsaw is clearly the most efficient way to harvest delicate moon dust :v:

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Just picked up the classic space set 6880 - Surface Explorer from eBay the other day. It's my first classic space set and it's pretty cute!

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

As promised here's the haul...

Hazmat Dude fears the sorting process while Sailor Dude keeps a look out.

There are 155 antennas in there somewhere.

I made a pretty nifty armature from a bunch of Hero Factory joints.

The flash on my camera sucks. Sorry.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Hmmm...
Our house recently flooded and as a result, I unearthed a box of legos. I doubt any sets are still complete, but I will either succumb to playing with them, or sell them bulk. How well does a random assortment of legos even go for? I am clueless.
Sidenote: I love some of the creations in this thread!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I would either hang on to them, or sell them to a goon in this thread. Try to get the following info:

- How much the box weighs
- Note any instruction booklets/boxes you have
- Take a photo
- Note any unique pieces/minifigures (especially if they're classic Space, Spider-Man, Batman)

If you can put together any complete sets using instruction booklets, that helps, too. A goon in this thread would certainly make you a fair offer. You could also try selling it in SA Mart.

Personally, I'd hang on to them. Even if you end up not playing with them, they make a great hand-me-down to a young son/daughter/niece/nephew.

Red fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 20, 2011

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Red posted:

I would either hang on to them, or sell them to a goon in this thread. Try to get the following info:

- How much the box weighs
- Note any instruction booklets/boxes you have
- Take a photo
- Note any unique pieces/minifigures (especially if they're classic Space, Spider-Man, Batman

If you can put together any complete sets using instruction booklets, that helps, too. A goon in this thread would certainly make you a fair offer. You could also try selling it in SA Mart.

Personally, I'd hang on to them. Even if you end up not playing with them, they make a great hand-me-down to a young son/daughter/niece nephew.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! I've been considering holding onto them because, let's face it, every kid should play with legos on a regular basis. As I am moving out soon, I'm a bit low on space. I'll check them out this weekend! If I sell them, I'd like them to go to a goon, everyone here is great.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Most of the serious customizers use waterslide decals, which actually let you print onto a transparent sheet, get the decal wet, and then slide it onto the piece. When it dries it's virtually identical to professional lego printing.

I can't find those for sale, though, so my decals are just Avery fullsheet peel-and-stick labels run through an inkjet printer. The quality you get depends on how nice your printer is - mine is kind of lovely, so I often end up going over my blacks with ink pens and brightening my colors with Prismacolor markers anyway.

I tried printing stickers before, but I couldn't get the blacks black enough to work. I do have leftover print quota with the end of the semester coming up, though, so maybe I should revisit it. Do you have anything you like to use as a template?

I haven't forgotten my promise to post pics of my FF series, including the now basically-finished airbase. Gimme a few days to get the pics together.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

BrainWeasel posted:

I tried printing stickers before, but I couldn't get the blacks black enough to work. I do have leftover print quota with the end of the semester coming up, though, so maybe I should revisit it. Do you have anything you like to use as a template?

I haven't forgotten my promise to post pics of my FF series, including the now basically-finished airbase. Gimme a few days to get the pics together.

I do a lot of custom stickers for my trains. My printer sucks, too, so I go to a print shop and have them done. Even if they're black and white, have them run off on the color machine. Color printers lay down a thick layer of ink, rather than the xerox-look that black and white laser printers do. It costs me about $1-1.50 per page (including the label paper.) You might prefer decals for minifigs, though. I've never tried to do those, but for other applications this works fine.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Queen Gnome posted:

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! I've been considering holding onto them because, let's face it, every kid should play with legos on a regular basis. As I am moving out soon, I'm a bit low on space. I'll check them out this weekend! If I sell them, I'd like them to go to a goon, everyone here is great.

I'd be interested in any small (cheap) Space sets you may have, as well as any minifigs, Space especially.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

Queen Gnome posted:

I'd be interested in any Castle or Fantasy era stuff!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Proving once again how totally awesome he is, Eichiiro Oda, creator of One Piece(I believe the top-selling book series, EVER, in Japan) just released this color spread in the latest chapter. The color spreads involve the characters but have nothing to do with the plot, which allows him to go hog wild and have stuff like this, or the crew having a cookout with a bunch of dogs in fancy suits.

edit: just noticed Usopp driving that little yellow crane set that they put out a few years back. Awesome.

This totally made my day. I can't stop giggling at this two-page spread.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 20, 2011

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
Apologies, for my camera phone is blurry, but I wanted to share my latest work in progress.

Drawing some inspiration from the Dragon Quest/Warrior series, I decided to make a fighting arena. This is purely based off of memory, and I only planned out the base layout and went from there. I am just kind of trying to figure out if I am going to end up with a whole new thing or something fairly representative of and true to the generic console RPG arena/coliseum.

The scene so far:

Monster on monster action:

For those of you familiar with the series, these are modeled after the characters from DQ VIII. Right to left: Hero, Jessica, Angelo, and Yangus:

And bonus - King Trode and Princess Medea:

This brings back fond memories.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrainWeasel posted:

I use templates from http://classic-castle.com/ They have pretty much all of the old Castle torso designs as high-res PSDs and a bunch of custom stuff too, as well as little elements like belts, pouches, shirt ruffles, etc. that you could mix and match.

Yeah, the blacks not being quite black enough is a concern, but like I said I just go over them with a Prismacolor or a sharpie, or one of my finer-tipped Microns. Having a ton of art supplies around comes in handy for more than just drawing sometimes. The only print job I can think of that I didn't go over to make them a bit more vivid was the shirt and shield on my Link.

You can see the blue of the shield isn't quite as rich as it could be, but the detailing is too fine for me to really get in there with a marker.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I'd like to get into figure customizing. I might make some images for labels and post them.

The PotC sets have hit TRU btw and they're eligible for the BOGO1/2off.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

They've hit lego stores too... I popped over to Downtown Disney before work today, and the new Orlando lego store is open! Must've happened in the last couple of days, because I was looking in the temporary tent last Sunday. Either way, the store is very spacious and is pretty big... I think their still working out quite how much space they have and how many stands and things to put up inside. There's new models outside too, all Disney themed... Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs in two different models, Buzz Woody and RC in the classic rocket moment, and finally, Prince Philip battling Dragon Maleficent. I'll upload some photos when I head back there with my camera!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'd like to get into figure customizing. I might make some images for labels and post them.

I've only seen them in the LEGO Official Store. Besides, I gotta say they really just aren't that good. I want sailing ships! The only ship in the PotC is the giant one. You can't get anything smaller.

I had a ton of lego pirate stuff when I was a kid, and I seem to recall quite a few variations on the tiny little rowboat that made it more interesting. They had a small cheap set that gave you the sailboat, a treasure chest, a pirate and a soldier.

The only Classic Pirate thing I've seen is the huge imperial frigate, at the LEGO store, for $200. I like it and I want it, but I'm waiting a little while. I did pick up 2 PotC sets, and they're neat, but they're a far cry from the classic pirate sets of my childhood.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The Imperial Flagship is a great kit, but it's definitely more of a display-piece than playable. There are some parts (like the curved section of the fo'cs'le) that fall apart if you look at them wrong.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I'm so torn about PotC. I really liked the first film, and watched the others, and have no problem with Lego having it as a franchise...

...but I'm a Classic Pirates fan and I've got a good percentage of the older sets. At first, I was really keen for the PotC sets (because it meant a return for Pirates) but having seen them, I think that the piece count is really low (obvious for a licensed theme) and I'm not sure that they're all that great.

I was pretty disappointed with the London Escape when I realised that the building wasn't the same size as the Medieval Market Village ones - and I thought it was particularly weak that the interior is only half there.

I think Cannibal Escape will work nicely with the Islanders though, so I might get that one, but I'm thinking of either moving into a different theme, or sticking with the more 'adult' builds.

I'm trying to decide between Grand Emporium and Imperial Flagship at the moment.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I will get my fill of PotC from Bricklink. All I want from them are the bottles and scabbards.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I kind of like the Queen Anne's Revenge, it'd be a nice ship opposite the Flagship. Obviously I'd rather have the Black Pearl, so I'll be holding out for that, but the QAR looks nice.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

I kind of like the Queen Anne's Revenge, it'd be a nice ship opposite the Flagship. Obviously I'd rather have the Black Pearl, so I'll be holding out for that, but the QAR looks nice.

It does look nice, and I like it, but for only a few bucks more you get the Flagship which is a much better kit. I guess the PotC really do suffer from being licensed.

Did lego ever make smaller pirate ships? Something along the lines of a single masted sloop or something; bigger than the little dinghy but not as big as the full blown flagship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pagan posted:

It does look nice, and I like it, but for only a few bucks more you get the Flagship which is a much better kit. I guess the PotC really do suffer from being licensed.

Did lego ever make smaller pirate ships? Something along the lines of a single masted sloop or something; bigger than the little dinghy but not as big as the full blown flagship.

Several. Here's a list of all the old Pirates sets.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=S&catString=61.688