Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I-is the clanner blasting down the forest no there's nothing to burn? Is Clover going to survive for Caesar to rescue her? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
That clanner is destroying the trees to try to make sure his new bondsman does not cook to death! Making a firebreak... WITH HEAVY WEAPONRY.

That is... that is actually kind of sweet. :3:

Secret Move Activated: Mukai will, as befits the new status of his PC, not use any contractions for the remainder of this thread. If you see him lapsing into lazy speech, correct him as gently or as caustically as you like.

All things considered, my only real regret was that I took so long to decide to go to the lower level and make him kick my head or descend. I should have done that sooner, but I was too afraid of the 1/6 chance of instant death via head kick. Still, as PTN said, this scenario was not a kind one to the players; on top of that, while we did have one ridiculously lucky break with Knox, the dice were pretty not good for me throughout, and combined with my tactical decisions, I fell one round short of the prize. I am proud of my showing despite- and the showing of the Unwearied Second.

quote:

Mechwarrior Status: Sprained Back, Severe Concussion, Broken Arm (consciousness 7+)!

drat.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

It would have been one thing for them to be annihilated completely, but losing to the clans so narrowly just leaves me seriously unsatisfied. If the same fight had happened in a single-player game, I'd reload it until I got the 'correct' result! :shobon:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah I thought everything went really well up until our best mech got headshotted. We almost pulled a win out from it though.

I want to say that the MVP has to be divided between the Wolfhound and the Zeus but Samantha inches past Hunter. Samantha Clover for MVP.

With the Banshee we would have clinched a partial victory so clan MVP has to go to the Lucerne, the fucker headshotted the banshee and defeated Samantha and I hate him for it but if he hadn't they would have lost the match.

2nd Donegal MVP: Samantha Clover
Steel Viper MVP: Lucerne

Honorable Mentions
2nd Donegal: Hunter and the Wolfhound for standing on one leg toe to toe against a clan heavy for two (three?) rounds.
Steel Vipers: The Hill of Doom/Mugger

Affi fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 18, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
That was a good fight, and everyone had their moments, except prehaps the banshee who got erppced out early.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
:(

So close.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Axe-man posted:

That was a good fight, and everyone had their moments, except prehaps the banshee who got erppced out early.

Hey I took down the Battle Cobra relatively quickly, that has to count for something right?

...right? :smith:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Since it would be uncouth and rude to vote for myself:

2nd Donegal MVP: Rommel Tank
Steel Vipers MVP: Mugger

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
A loss, but a badass one that was a nailbiter until the end.

MVP, 2nd Donegal Guards: Lt. Samantha Clover, played by Mukaikubo. I really wanted to vote for that badass tank crew, who were far, far more effective than they had any real right to be, but the tank crew didn't keep hope alive for the last third of the game singlehandedly.

MVP, Steel Vipers: Mechwarrior Drang of the Lucerne. Met the enemy on the enemy's terms and still prevailed. For all that the Steel Vipers have a rep for shadiness, he showed the Clans' honor to best effect.

...also, if we run into the Steel Vipers again a few battles down the road, it'll be interesting to see if we get to see claimed Bondsmen returning on the wrong side...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah guess I should put some votes in as well

MVP 2nd Donegal: Lt. Samantha Clover. Really it would be wrong to vote for anyone else (except maybe the Rommel Tank Crew)

MVP, Steel Vipers: Mechwarrior Drang :argh:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Our MVP has got to be Samantha, for making up Steiner Rules and buying us a ton of time.

Theirs is... probably the one that head-capped the Banshee, cause that changed everything.

The Lucerne (drat that machine, it basically defeated half the lance on its own...) was the one that head-capped the Banshee.

2nd Donegal MVP: Samantha Clover (Mukaikubo)
Clanner MVP: the Lucerne

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

...also, if we run into the Steel Vipers again a few battles down the road, it'll be interesting to see if we get to see claimed Bondsmen returning on the wrong side...

I'm also going to suggest that when we do play Clan, it be as Clover and Hunter.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Mukaikubo posted:

Since it would be uncouth and rude to vote for myself:

2nd Donegal MVP: Rommel Tank
Steel Vipers MVP: Mugger

I can agree with this.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Sorry but I can't see anyone justifying voting for the Tank Crew over the Wolfhound. Compare a tank that just puttered around and shot mechs engaged in duels until he got kicked a little to a Wolfhound who lost his leg on a lovely roll and still managed inflict serious damage to the clans (probably more total then the tank-crew).

edit; In raw damage numbers;

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I still think Rossi deserves more love. He almost single handily took out two of the stronger enemy mechs on the field.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Angry_Ed posted:

Hey I took down the Battle Cobra relatively quickly, that has to count for something right?

...right? :smith:

I meant more moment of "taking an incredible beating and still standing and firing like a :black101: motherfucker" this was taken from you

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

KnoxZone posted:

I still think Rossi deserves more love. He almost single handily took out two of the stronger enemy mechs on the field.

We all know that the real 2nd Donegal MVP is the entire team (barring the Banshee) :(

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Affi posted:

We all know that the real 2nd Donegal MVP is the entire team (barring the Banshee) :(

Hey! That Banshee drew first blood. Sergeant Major von Gunther is the first Inner Sphere MechWarrior to defeat a Clansman!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

The Banshee got the only actual kill, however.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

2nd Donegal MVP: The tank and it's crew. They were a disproportionately large part of the reason the 2nd did so well, and we probably would have won if not for Dezgra Knox being a cheating, cowardly human being.

Steel Vipers MVP: Whoever headshot the Banshee. I forget which mech did it and I'm not going back multiple pages to find the exact update.

I still think Knox needs to be shipped back to the homeworlds in shame. Allowing him to continue to gain glory (and have a chance at an honorable death) by fighting in the invasion, even in a crappy-ish Assault mech, is far too good for him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rossi does deserve some love, and so does the Wolfhound - hell, every single one of the players were great in this round. But the last third of the battle came down to one MechWarrior and one MechWarrior only, and that was Sam Clover. If not for Steiner Rules Dueling and spending precious turns dumping ammo and 'explaining things,' the game would have been over many turns ago. Sam Clover kept hope alive until the very very end, and that makes her MVP if you ask me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Zaodai posted:

I still think Knox needs to be shipped back to the homeworlds in shame. Allowing him to continue to gain glory (and have a chance at an honorable death) by fighting in the invasion, even in a crappy-ish Assault mech, is far too good for him.

Also, I would agree with this if the enemy Clan was anyone other than the Steel Vipers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Banshee got the only actual kill, however.

He (and the Banshee-3S he piloted, a product of Defiance Industries, serial number LD2562-66B, course) are national heroes, dammit.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Seeing that this was pretty much a no-win scenario where the players were supposed to be steamrolled within turn 10, I'm surprised of the result.
And it was glorious.
Seeing that we made it to turn 19, would it be feasible for one of the dropships to start firing on the clanners to allow Cesar to flee, or is he going to become a bondsman?

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Zaodai posted:

2nd Donegal MVP: The tank and it's crew. They were a disproportionately large part of the reason the 2nd did so well, and we probably would have won if not for Dezgra Knox being a cheating, cowardly human being.
Should Knox be considered a coward for all of the other insects he crushed on his way off of the field as well?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mukaikubo should have kicked the clanner earlier, bad tactical judgement to keep calling, I would have kicked if I knew the armor was that weak.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
MVP for the 2nd Donegal: The 2nd loving Donegal. Seriously, most of the unit made an impressive showing and nearly pulled a win. Rossi had some amazing badass to him, Samantha just wouldn't loving die, the Banshee actually managed to kill something, and the Wolfhound pulled a mini-Samantha.

MVP for the Clans: Capellan Brand Delicious State Cola: For that crystal clear, made-for-the-people, state sanctioned flavor that you are legally required to love.

Not kidding about that required part, either.

Also seriously, gently caress that guy Drang. We'd better not have him in our star when we play as the clans.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

radintorov posted:

Seeing that this was pretty much a no-win scenario where the players were supposed to be steamrolled within turn 10, I'm surprised of the result.
And it was glorious.
Seeing that we made it to turn 19, would it be feasible for one of the dropships to start firing on the clanners to allow Cesar to flee, or is he going to become a bondsman?

Since Caesar was not part of the bid forces, I think he is granted hegira.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm also going to suggest that when we do play Clan, it be as Clover and Hunter.
Realistically, if the Vipers tried to field those two against the Inner Sphere, they'd turn just as soon as they felt they had a decent chance of escape. I mean, this system doesn't use anything like neural implants, does it?

Player MVP vote goes to Sam for dedicatedly knocking down and dragging out.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

landcollector posted:

Since Caesar was not part of the bid forces, I think he is granted hegira.

The dropships wont! :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

radintorov posted:

Caesar wasn't bid into the engagement and thus can't be claimed as islora. As the last member of the 2nd Donegal Guard, he just has to admit that his unit was defeated (thus ceding Somerset to the Clans, not that he can do much about that) and they're supposed to let him leave.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Realistically, if the Vipers tried to field those two against the Inner Sphere, they'd turn just as soon as they felt they had a decent chance of escape. I mean, this system doesn't use anything like neural implants, does it?

Theoretically yeah, but where are they going to go? The easiest way for them to get back to the Commonwealth is exactly the same way they left it: get in a battle that you lose, get captured. The Commonwealth claims you as a Bondsman and the Vipers can't call foul, since that's the rule.

Alternatively if they haven't been made Warriors by the time Caesar's Legion comes calling, General Caesar Steiner can issue a Trial of Possession for the two of them.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 18, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also, I would agree with this if the enemy Clan was anyone other than the Steel Vipers.

The Steel Vipers may be more lenient on cheating, but they still don't take kindly to failure. Especially when you were cheating and still failed.

Xmas Future posted:

Should Knox be considered a coward for all of the other insects he crushed on his way off of the field as well?

He certainly shouldn't be considered a warrior for it. If he wants to play Orkin Man, that's his business. But there's no need to tie up valuable battlemechs, and bid spots in the invasion force, for someone who can only kill insects and disabled tanks. I'm sure the clans could find him a shoulder launched SRM tube to carry around as an infantryman.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Xmas Future posted:

And what about the tank crew? They kept interfering in supposed one-on-one duels. Are they 'cowards', as well? Don't get me wrong, I also think that mechwarrior Knox is an rear end in a top hat, but I find it strange that people are so blind to the same sort of behaviour when it happens on 'their' side.

Also, many of you don't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'coward'. Breaking the rules has nothing to do with cowardice.

MVP IS: Lt. Samantha Clover
MVP Clans: Mechwarrior Drang

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Actually, the Clans are surprisingly good at breaking someone mentally and building them back up into what they want their captives to be. Phelan was professional-grade mindfucked, and I would argue he never really recovered.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Actually, the Clans are surprisingly good at breaking someone mentally and building them back up into what they want their captives to be. Phelan was professional-grade mindfucked, and I would argue he never really recovered.

Yeah and it's not like he was trained to stand up to that kind of interrogation unlike the ROM Agent that eventually helped get the location of the Clan Homeworlds.

The more I think about it the more I think you might be right that Phelan was broken down and built back into someone that Ulric wanted him to be instead of choosing to be a clanner of his own volition.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

I always felt like Phelan never really converted wholesale to Clan society (for example, he withheld his genes from the breeding program for like ten years until Ranna won a bloodname, then only allowed it to be combined with hers), he just had always wanted a society where he was allowed to solve everything with violence and hey, here it is!

I bet the guy even takes the title of Grand Duke of Arc-Royal when his dad dies rather than letting it pass to his sister.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
gently caress! Hey, didn't someone propose a bet that had the players losing on turn 19?

So close...so very close.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'll join the Clover/Drang MVP :bandwagon:.

Muk, just curious. Why choose to step away from the Lucerne rather than slug it out for one more turn?

E: vvv yeah, just checked the previous updates - any kick would have ended the fight for sure.

anakha fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 18, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

anakha posted:

I'll join the Clover/Drang MVP :bandwagon:.

Muk, just curious. Why choose to step away from the Lucerne rather than slug it out for one more turn?

Because if I had, a kick- and that is what he would have done- would have hit and barring a miracle, taken off a leg. At which point, I fall, and am out of the fight in all likelihood. I took a gamble; I jumped backwards and feel. 14 damage split up 5-5-4; I had to have all three miss my left leg and head to stay in the fight. Not very good odds, but better than letting him kick me would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Should have charged him.

• Locked thread