Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
edit: Found the thread in GBS.

I'm sure many of you have gotten information from your employers, but this link was sent out to us today. http://www.opm.gov/furlough/

It has some possibly relevant information.

DoctorJones fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.
This is a rollercoaster. I find out Monday whether I am essential. The list of essential personnel has shifted several times today and is close-held (i.e. I am not privy, though I am close to that level but not quite). I plan to roll in around 9.

Unless there's a deal before then.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I was watching C-Span broadcasting House proceedings and they mentioned that if there was no agreement they would be coming in tomorrow. If there was some sort of agreement over the weekend, could we still be safe for Monday?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Zoo posted:

This is a rollercoaster. I find out Monday whether I am essential. The list of essential personnel has shifted several times today and is close-held (i.e. I am not privy, though I am close to that level but not quite). I plan to roll in around 9.

Unless there's a deal before then.
We found out virtually all our civilians are nonessential and the active duty in our dept are going to hold down the fort in our stead.

We DO all get to work 1 hour on monday to set up our out of office messages and voicemail :(

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

CherryCola posted:

I was watching C-Span broadcasting House proceedings and they mentioned that if there was no agreement they would be coming in tomorrow. If there was some sort of agreement over the weekend, could we still be safe for Monday?

As far as I've been advised, the 72-hour rule is a House rule that can be suspended. So theoretically we could be safe for Monday yes.

I'm not holding my breath.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

grover posted:

We found out virtually all our civilians are nonessential and the active duty in our dept are going to hold down the fort in our stead.

We DO all get to work 1 hour on monday to set up our out of office messages and voicemail :(

Yeah, we've been told to report Monday morning to take care of our shutdown duties (ooo messages, credit card statements, staff meeting, etc...) but haven't been told what time frame we're allowed.

I've already organized a shutdown happy hour for after we report on Monday. If they sign a CR or an actual budget before then, we'll still go out for drinks after work on Monday but it won't be as fun.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

CherryCola posted:

We told all of our employees if a spending bill is enacted anytime over the weekend, show up on Monday. If a bill is enacted on Monday after the orderly shutdown, then come back on Tuesday.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

No furlough for me - I'm an 852 funded intern, so already bought and paid for. Actually I'm not an intern anymore as nobody is, but the funding is still there so whatever.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Giodo! posted:

What do you do at USCIS? I'm getting recruited by some folks in Fraud Detection and National Security, but I hadn't really considered USCIS before and am curious about the organization. I'm a counterterrorism/national security type and had pictured myself at the FBI.

I'm an adjudications officer, which just says I process the apps and decide if they get the benefit they want. I've had friends in FDNS, and they didn't speak TOO highly. They worked in service centers though, and another posting might be more favorable to actual "policing" work.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So, uh, I'm actually starting my freaking government job tomorrow. Holy crap how did this happen.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Department of the Army just listed a bunch of career internship positions on its website for anyone who's interested:

https://ncweb.ria.army.mil/dainterns/nonemployee.asp

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

CherryCola posted:

So, uh, I'm actually starting my freaking government job tomorrow. Holy crap how did this happen.

So....how did it go?

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN
It'll take a month or so for her to get an ArcGIS license, so we won't know for a while yet!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

dvgrhl posted:

So....how did it go?

So far it's been powerpoints and a lot of "DO NOT BRING YOUR CELLPHONE" and "DO NOT GET A SECURITY VIOLATION." However, this place does seem like it will be a pretty great working environment. I also just signed up for my first dental and vision insurance in like two years! And I'm actually getting my first paycheck BEFORE the end of the month, so I don't need to freak out about making rent.

Everything is pretty great. It feels wonderful to be gainfully employed.

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?

CherryCola posted:

So far it's been powerpoints and a lot of "DO NOT BRING YOUR CELLPHONE" and "DO NOT GET A SECURITY VIOLATION." However, this place does seem like it will be a pretty great working environment. I also just signed up for my first dental and vision insurance in like two years! And I'm actually getting my first paycheck BEFORE the end of the month, so I don't need to freak out about making rent.

Everything is pretty great. It feels wonderful to be gainfully employed.

Congratulations!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 29, 2013

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.
We have an FY11 budget. God I hope this means I can get a different job finally.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zoo posted:

We have an FY11 budget. God I hope this means I can get a different job finally.

I'll take your current one if you don't want it.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

psydude posted:

I'll take your current one if you don't want it.

Well, it will vacate a nice billet (in a bad office). :P

edit: but yeah, believe me, I'm glad to have a job; I get your point.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 15, 2011

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Hi folks! I'm a term Army civilian who's looking to transfer into a permanent status. I'm also a vet (served 1997-2003, honorable discharge) which is awesome for preference. I know I qualify for 5-point preference, but I *think* I qualify for VRA. If that's the case, I should be able to get a job non-competitively, which is awesome. I'm not disabled, but I did deploy to Yugoslavia for Operation Joint Forge and earned these medals: National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, NATO Medal.

Does anyone know if I qualify based on this criteria?

"Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized"

Thanks very much.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Does anyone know about the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) or have been hired under it?

It sounds like you need at least 3 years of active duty service or 30% disability. Is that set in stone? I was a National Guardsman for 6 years, one combat deployment and 10% disability. Since I technically only have 1 year of active duty, does that mean I don't qualify for VEOA?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Drewski posted:

Hi folks! I'm a term Army civilian who's looking to transfer into a permanent status. I'm also a vet (served 1997-2003, honorable discharge) which is awesome for preference. I know I qualify for 5-point preference, but I *think* I qualify for VRA. If that's the case, I should be able to get a job non-competitively, which is awesome. I'm not disabled, but I did deploy to Yugoslavia for Operation Joint Forge and earned these medals: National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, NATO Medal.

Does anyone know if I qualify based on this criteria?

"Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized"

Thanks very much.

http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx

Edit: If you qualify for 5 or 10 points, then you qualify for VRA.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 16, 2011

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Evil SpongeBob posted:

http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx

Edit: If you qualify for 5 or 10 points, then you qualify for VRA.

If that's the case, then why even have two programs? There's got to be something that differentiates between the two, because VEOA is still competitive (5-10 point bonus), whereas VRA-eligible vets can be hired non-competitively.

edit: I appreciate your help, but seriously, stupid confusing government!

edit 2: I think I have the answer:

VRA eligible: Under Public Law 107-288 the following veterans are eligible for a non-competitive Veteran Recruitment Appointment (VRA):
Disabled Veterans; or Veterans who have been awarded a Campaign Badge, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM), or Armed Forces Service
Medal (AFEM); or recently separated veterans. Recently separated veterans are defined as those who have separated from active service within the
last three years. There are no time restrictions on appointment of the first two categories of veterans. There are no length of service requirements for
all three categories of veterans. The maximum grade level at which appointments may be made is GS-11. Veterans must meet meet all qualification
requirements. If selected, you will be required to submit Page 4 of DD214, Certificate of Discharge.

VEOA eligible:

To be eligible for a VEOA appointment, an applicant must:

Be a preference eligible OR veteran separated from the armed forces after 3 or more years of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions. Veterans who were released shortly before completing a 3-year tour are considered to be eligible. ("Active service" defined in title 37, United States Code, means active duty in the uniformed services and includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, full-time National Guard duty, and attendance, while in the active service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary of the military department concerned).

So it looks like they make special exception for veterans who saw combat, or are disabled or recently transitioned to civilian life.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 16, 2011

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Drewski posted:

:words:

Yeah, basically VRA > VEOA and 10 points > 5 points. Also, VRA gives you additional merit procedures such as increased job protections during RIF and other stuff. VRA points do not apply for VEOA applications though.

Edit: VEOA allows you to apply for jobs that have been closed or only for status candidates as well as ignore geographic limitations. Some more clarifications are provided here:

http://www.opm.gov/faqs/topic/veterans/index.aspx

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 16, 2011

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Can someone explain the rule of three to me? Specifically, how does it work when you've got a list of say 40-50 people and they're going to hire about half of that.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So todaaay is my first day actually going to my duty station! I'm not really sure what to expect since I haven't had any training in my actual job yet and probably won't for a few months. I also have no idea what time I'm supposed to be there, so I'm getting there around 7:30 just to be safe. Wish me luck ya'll.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

CherryCola posted:

So todaaay is my first day actually going to my duty station! I'm not really sure what to expect since I haven't had any training in my actual job yet and probably won't for a few months. I also have no idea what time I'm supposed to be there, so I'm getting there around 7:30 just to be safe. Wish me luck ya'll.

Your first day will likely consist of filling out a lot of paperwork and watching a lot of powerpoint slides and videos on the intranet. They'll allot the entire day for this and you'll probably finish in half the time. Chat it up with your co-workers. No luck needed on the first day.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Tortilla Maker posted:

Your first day will likely consist of filling out a lot of paperwork and watching a lot of powerpoint slides and videos on the intranet. They'll allot the entire day for this and you'll probably finish in half the time. Chat it up with your co-workers. No luck needed on the first day.

The place I work at literally had 2 weeks of new employee orientation. Death by PowerPoint.

Then it was another month after that before I could get network access... Something about needing my info updated in DEERS. Or maybe that was just an excuse they made up. They hired appr. 300 people at the same time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

2011 grads: the DoD and military agencies have been posting pathways programs with incredibly short 3-4 day application windows. I'm guessing they're rushing to fill the vacancies that the end of the FCIP and the budget crisis caused, so be on the lookout.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tortilla Maker posted:

Chat it up with your co-workers. No luck needed on the first day.

Please do this. I did some weird thing where orientation was 1 day, go to real office for 4 days, then go back to orientation the next week to complete the remaining 4 days of orientation.

When I returned to orientation the 2nd week there were a ton of people saying :qq: no one introduced me around in my office I don't know anybody :qq:. Industry's full of introverts but jesus christ you're an adult, go and introduce yourself.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

psydude posted:

2011 grads: the DoD and military agencies have been posting pathways programs with incredibly short 3-4 day application windows. I'm guessing they're rushing to fill the vacancies that the end of the FCIP and the budget crisis caused, so be on the lookout.

Where are these found? USAJobs?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Where are these found? USAJobs?

They're all on USA jobs, but you'll probably have an easier time going to each agency's website and looking at their career internship page for the direct links (I linked the Army's a half a page up).

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
You guys were all right. I got through all of my tedious typo and bug-filled mandatory online training in no time. Luckily someone actually DID take me around the whole place and introduce me to everyone. I did chat quite a bit and finally FINALLY found out WHAT MY JOB ACTUALLY IS AND IT IS AWESOME AND PRETTY MUCH A DREAM AND I GOT TO NERD OUT ABOUT STUFF THAT I KNOW.

Oh and I signed up for health insurance.

All in all, pretty good day.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I have my own job success story to report: I got into the JET program teaching English in Japan, so gently caress WAITING WITH BATED BREATH FOR MONTHS ON EVERY US GOVERNMENT JOB I APPLY FOR I AM DONE WITH THIS BULLSHIT. Health insurance and a living wage, here I come :toot:

Anyways, I'm keeping up the job search because I'm contractually required to, and will actually take one if I can get it from Japan. I know a lot of government jobs, especially national security-y ones require you to be in the US at the time of application (going to Japan jeopardizes the "good faith" clause of my contract, but at this point it looks like it would be quicker and more of a sure thing to go to Japan and make enough money to pay back the scholarship if I have to, rather than eke out my pathetic post-college existence in the US another two years), mostly because of background checks... does anyone have suggestions of places that are international applicant friendly? I can deal with flying to Hawaii for a test, interview or whatever if the prospects look good, but not sitting in the US for nine months and working a lovely job with no health insurance again. Definitely going to be sitting the Foreign Service exam when I'm in Japan, and will keep an eye on the Job Opportunities section of Embassy Tokyo (plus Bangkok and Vientiane, but those have been pretty dry since forever).

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

psydude posted:

They're all on USA jobs, but you'll probably have an easier time going to each agency's website and looking at their career internship page for the direct links (I linked the Army's a half a page up).

Also, I assume I'm wrong about this, but I thought this was the program that was completely eliminated shortly after President Obama took office? Or am I thinking of a different one entirely?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Also, I assume I'm wrong about this, but I thought this was the program that was completely eliminated shortly after President Obama took office? Or am I thinking of a different one entirely?

The Federal Career Intern Program ended in March of this year, however many agencies have apparently either already instituted a new program or found ways around it.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

CherryCola posted:

Welcome to the Federal Government, where every new employee is the first person your agency has ever hired and the mysterious tech guy who is supposed to setup your computer accounts is eternally on vacation! Good luck!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Salo posted:

Welcome to the Federal Government, where every new employee is the first person your agency has ever hired and the mysterious tech guy who is supposed to setup your computer accounts is eternally on vacation! Good luck!

I must have lucked out because I was already in most of the systems...of course that meant that peoplesoft thought I started in the office last week and listed me as delinquent on all these training programs.

hurr

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

In my part of the government, you're lucky to have a desk when you arrive. Accounts? Yeah, those too. You won't have those automagically.

(and I work for a very well-funded organization... just space issues)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
I enter duty next month! Which credit union should I use Justice or Pentagon?