Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I don't know if there is one. The leaves exist to gather light.

What about something like a cactus? Some of them have relatively low light requirements and flourish under incandescents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I'm not trying to stop him, I'm wondering if any of you have any advice or experience that I can give that will make sure he doesn't end up sutured to some dude's rear end in a top hat and that he has a good time.

If he's not a complete idiot, he will be fine. That whole region is pretty civilized these days.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

tarepanda posted:

I don't know if there is one. The leaves exist to gather light.

What about something like a cactus? Some of them have relatively low light requirements and flourish under incandescents.

At my office cubicle area, there is literally no natural light yet I've seen non-desert plants thrive. Granted they aren't that large.

Its not completely dark. The area is literally right next to a sliding glass door, and the curtains are just of average thickness. But I do generally keep them drawn.

Ficus a good suggestion?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Oh, so you're not talking about "no light," but more of a perpetual shade...

How about lucky bamboo, ferns, or spider plants? Ferns and spider plants in particular are great for shade.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
When I get a brief throbbing headache (like from standing up), I have a very strong instinct to tilt my head all the way back until the pain is gone, and it seems to work, as if I un-tilt it too soon the pain gets worse. Is there a particular physiological reason for this?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
It might have something to do with blood flow, though a brief internet search could provide anything to corroborate that. I know when I have headaches if I hang my head off the edge of the bed it goes away until I stop. There's supposedly a couple accupressure points to the sides of your spinal column right where it meets your skull, perhaps leaning back activates them.

My question: is there any website that tracks what TV shows are currently airing new episodes/shows dates when new episodes air? I'm getting sick of checking every network website.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

RaoulDuke12 posted:

My question: is there any website that tracks what TV shows are currently airing new episodes/shows dates when new episodes air? I'm getting sick of checking every network website.

EzTv does, and Wikipedia is usually accurate.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

CatchrNdRy posted:

Ficus a good suggestion?
Peace lilies are also super easy to take care of and they thrive in shade/indirect light. They are great outlet hiders because they are very leafy.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Loopyface posted:

EzTv does, and Wikipedia is usually accurate.

eztv is perfect. thanks a billion!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

RaoulDuke12 posted:

eztv is perfect. thanks a billion!

I don't see where it does that (just show the new episodes). Someone pointed me to here with the same question but it seems to only cover more mainstream shows.:

http://www.tvshark.com/tonight/

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I don't see where it does that (just show the new episodes). Someone pointed me to here with the same question but it seems to only cover more mainstream shows.:

http://www.tvshark.com/tonight/

I just wanted to know whether a show was airing new episodes or on break, and if they were on break, when they returned.

http://eztv.it/showlist/

That seems to cover it, unless I'm misreading something. For example, Breaking Bad was supposed to be back with new episodes by now, but they aren't, and that list says "pending", which means I don't need to look for it any time soon. Though if I click on "Breaking Bad" it has a link that says Season 4 is filming, so that's good I guess.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I just wanted to know whether a show was airing new episodes or on break, and if they were on break, when they returned.

http://eztv.it/showlist/

That seems to cover it, unless I'm misreading something.

Ahh re-reading your question I was looking for something slightly different which I found with a different google search:

http://www.locatetv.com/new-tv-episodes

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

moana posted:

Peace lilies are also super easy to take care of and they thrive in shade/indirect light. They are great outlet hiders because they are very leafy.

Thanks I will add peace lilies to a plant I will check out!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RaoulDuke12 posted:

For example, Breaking Bad was supposed to be back with new episodes by now

I'm pretty sure it's was announced at the end of the last season that it wouldn't return until around July of this year.

nuggpuffer311
Apr 19, 2003

crundy
anyone know the name of those trees that drop their seeds in what looks like an insect wing, and as it falls its spins like a helicopter blade. east coast, america.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Maple.

ninja edit: If you separate the bottom of it a little bit you can stick them onto your ears for beautiful earrings, or to your nose for a beautiful nose ornament.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
What are the little twirly things called?

And, on a similar note, what do you call those little spikey things that're about that size of a golfball and what tree do they drop from?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elijya posted:

Samaras.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Elijya posted:

And, on a similar note, what do you call those little spikey things that're about that size of a golfball and what tree do they drop from?

Maybe a chestnut? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesnut

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Elijya posted:

Sugargum trees, I bet.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Mak0rz posted:

Samaras.

Thanks!

Moscow Mule posted:

Maybe a chestnut? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesnut
No, the ones I'm thinking of are brown (I think green for a day or two when they're fresh fallen), don't have a nut, have much fewer spikes than this, and sometimes a stem. I live in south eastern Pa., and they're extremely common around here. We used to throw them at each other on the playground and called them Sticky Bombs because of the spikes. Might be related to the chestnut, but I honestly don't recall ever seeing a nut inside one.

Barometer posted:

Sugargum trees, I bet.

This? No, definitely not :/

Pogo the Clown posted:

Close, Sweetgum, or more specifically American Sweetgum.
There we go. Thank you.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 19, 2011

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Elijya posted:

This? No, definitely not :/

No, the ones I am thinking of look like you described;
http://danielleanthonyphotography.blogspot.com/2008/06/sugar-gum-tree-balls.html

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How well would a macbook air running windows 7 with the 320m run minecraft? It's really the only pc game I play anymore.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Barometer posted:

Sugargum trees, I bet.

HQ Montel Xvids posted:

anyone know the name of those trees that drop their seeds in what looks like an insect wing, and as it falls its spins like a helicopter blade. east coast, america.

Already answered as most likely maple, but could also be an elm or ash. Also note there are many varieties of maple, the most common on the East coast of the USA being Sugar Maple, Red Maple, Norway Maple, and Silver Maple.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 19, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
My bike was recently stolen and I'm looking into buying a new one, but I realized that I don't know some things about how bicycle speeds work.

If I compare a three-speed and an eight-speed bike, will the eight-speed have more resistance on the highest gear, or does the number of gears just change the granularity in resistance?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Elijya posted:

I'm not sure that this is what you're thinking of, but I remember these from my childhood, and just figured out from my father that they're from London Plane (Sycamore) trees:

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I was watching Kitchen Nightmares the other day and noticed that during the dining segment, absolutely none of the customers were looking at anyone at the table Ramsay was sitting at. Does the producer come in ahead of time and explain what everyone in the restaurant should do and not do during filming? Is this how all reality shows work when they are shot in public places?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Organic Robot posted:

I was watching Kitchen Nightmares the other day and noticed that during the dining segment, absolutely none of the customers were looking at anyone at the table Ramsay was sitting at. Does the producer come in ahead of time and explain what everyone in the restaurant should do and not do during filming? Is this how all reality shows work when they are shot in public places?

I would assume so, it would look goofy it it was a restaurant full of people staring at Gordon and/or the camera crew the whole time.

IIRC the guy that sued him a while back claimed that they paid people and brought them in.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

They do pay people to come in and sit there, you see extra calls for it all the time on the wire.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I just got a call from telemarketers saying they were sending me a $100 gift card for using my Visa card blah blah blah. They had my phone number, obviously, but they also had my current address and the last 4 digits of my credit card. They're sending me information on some stupid offer I'm simply going to tear up, but the gift card is mine to keep, they said.

I didn't have to give out information during the entire spiel aside from the email address I set aside for spam anyways. Can anyone tell me how scamalicious this whole deal is? I tried looking it up with google, but from the outside it looks just like a marketing offer from Visa.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Pogo the Clown posted:

Yeah, interesting that the blog also had it wrong, haha. Our neighbor has one and those drat balls are everywhere. Also, according to that map, they have migrated quite a bit north since that was made.

ArchivalQuality
May 23, 2001

Stop the music and go home.
I repeat, stop the music and go home.
I'm trying to figure out this vintage shoe brand with a guy's name. (The brand was from the 40's or 50's). The brand isn't made by the original manufacturer anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

ArchivalQuality posted:

I'm trying to figure out this vintage shoe brand with a guy's name. (The brand was from the 40's or 50's). The brand isn't made by the original manufacturer anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Buster Brown? Thom McAn? Chuck Taylor? (70s)

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Sizzlechest posted:

Buster Brown? Thom McAn? Chuck Taylor? (70s)

Jack Purcell?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I have a .pdf with some videos in it that I'd prefer to watch on my tv. Can videos be extracted from a .pdf file?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I just messaged you, I have significant experience in the field of video but that's something I've never run across.

I will say, it's likely a pretty low quality video that wouldn't look all too great on a TV. If you're okay with that. You might need adobe acrobat pro, but I'm honestly not too sure. If you want someone to give it a shot, I'll try my hand at it though.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
If all else fails, there's Camstudio... http://camstudio.org/

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
e: nevermind

Tostito fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 20, 2011

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
1) What's the cheapest hard liquor in terms of price-to-alcohol ratio? Looking for a specific brand if possible. I'm in the Chicago area if that matters.

2) For anyone familiar with the UK TV show The Real Hustle, how fixed is it? I know they claim that the "victims" are set up by family and friends, which actually seems very plausible and more believable than if they just said "it's all real." But how do they prevent the victim from calling the police during or immediately after the hustle? That seems like a huge obstacle to overcome. I just don't understand how it could be "real," even with family/friends setups, without the hustlers eventually getting in legal trouble for wasting police time, or someone actually trying to charge them with the scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

A drat FOG posted:

1) What's the cheapest hard liquor in terms of price-to-alcohol ratio? Looking for a specific brand if possible. I'm in the Chicago area if that matters.

Everclear is around 20$ and is 190 proof. I think they sell a 150 proof version too.

Next is probably Bacardi 151 at slightly more than 20$.

Be careful with those. Easy to send your lush buddy to the hospital making strong mixers with them.