Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

jdonz posted:

I had a guy almost merge into me on the freeway the other morning. Cruising along at about 70 and I see his car slowly start moving over closer to me. I held down my horn button and started moving into the opposite lane (it was unoccupied) while staring at him. No blinker, no indication of changing lanes, he eventually stared back at me while drinking from his coffee mug. He didn't even flinch, let alone make any attempt to not hit me. Oh well, another day at the office I guess.

I've had good luck kicking doors in situations like this, although doing it at 70mph is a little rich for me, especially if there's open space next door to avoid the situation entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The best part is how people go anyway when they see you braking after they pull out infront of you.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I think people somehow decide that they've already pissed you off anyways, and you've gotten out of the way so crisis averted, so they might as well just finish whatever it was they started. Honestly, what bothers me even more than that is when a dude puts on his blinker and gets ready to merge into you, then sees you and gets startled and backs off, then turns their blinker off like they don't intend to get over anymore, but still sheepishly creeping over and passive-aggressively looking like they still want in.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

KozmoNaut posted:

I have two words for you.

Stebel Nautilus

139dbA of compact air horn goodness.

seconded, I love mine

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

The best part is how people go anyway when they see you braking after they pull out infront of you.

I like the ones who pull out, see you, and then stop once they've completely blocked your lane.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KozmoNaut posted:

I have two words for you.

Stebel Nautilus

139dbA of compact air horn goodness.

Yet people still ignore it. I don't know how it is possible but I was right next to someone blaring this horn (pointed at their window, at window height) and they still merged into me.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yet people still ignore it. I don't know how it is possible but I was right next to someone blaring this horn (pointed at their window, at window height) and they still merged into me.

MU-ZIK

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Is it really 139dB? Wouldn't that damage your hearing too?

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Riding home from work last night, a woman in a hatchback leaps out of the left lane a couple of meters in front of me with no indication, so I give her a quick blast on the horn (which is excellent on the VTR, a big loud "gently caress YOUUUUUUU!" noise) and back off a bit. I pull up alongside her at the next set of lights, and she gives me the finger and yells "DIDN'T YOU SEE MY loving INDICATORS, MATE?!".

Well, no, because you never used them, you silly bitch. Should have punched her through her open window, honestly.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The only thing I think is worse than not using them is using the wrong one.

Repeatedly.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

jdonz posted:

I had a guy almost merge into me on the freeway the other morning. Cruising along at about 70 and I see his car slowly start moving over closer to me. I held down my horn button and started moving into the opposite lane (it was unoccupied) while staring at him. No blinker, no indication of changing lanes, he eventually stared back at me while drinking from his coffee mug. He didn't even flinch, let alone make any attempt to not hit me. Oh well, another day at the office I guess.

A friend of mine got hit by an RX8 coming onto the highway. It went straight over into the outside lane and the driver didn't even bother checking. He ended up doing some impromptu Dakar style shenanigans.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bugdrvr posted:

Is it really 139dB? Wouldn't that damage your hearing too?

The spec sheet says 139dB @ 4 inches and 115dB @ 2 meters, so no louder to you than a good rock concert, but you're using ear plugs anyway, right?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KozmoNaut posted:

The spec sheet says 139dB @ 4 inches and 115dB @ 2 meters, so no louder to you than a good rock concert, but you're using ear plugs anyway, right?

It will however scare the absolute poo poo out of you when your warming up a bike at 7am getting ready for work and accidentally hit it. Has only happened twice but both times I've almost dropped the drat bike.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

This may have implications on bike design.
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/04/how-to-keep-a-riderless-bike-fro.html

quote:

The Article Says
Researchers assumed that two mechanisms kept a riderless bike upright. First is the "caster effect," which relies on the position of the front wheel relative to the steering axis—the imaginary line that extends from the front forks downward. On most bikes, the front wheel meets the ground just behind this axis, so it tends to center itself like the casters on a shopping cart. The other mechanism is known as gyroscopic precession: Because the front wheel is spinning forward, any tilt to the left or right creates a force that will steer the bike in that direction, pulling it out of the fall.

To show that neither of these mechanisms is in fact crucial, engineer Andy Ruina of Cornell University and colleagues used a computer to design a bicycle that excludes both mechanisms. Unlike a normal bike, the front wheel of their vehicle lies in front of the steering axis, so the caster effect can't operate. On top of that, both front and back wheels are connected to duplicate wheels spinning in the opposite direction, so any gyroscopic precession is canceled out.
snip
So what does keep the bicycle from falling over? The trick is its odd mass distribution: low in front and high in the rear. As a result, the front will try to fall faster than the rear, just as a short pencil topples faster than a tall broomstick. Because front and rear are connected, this lopsided falling makes the front steer into the fall and in doing so pulls the bike out of it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I just rode a 2011 Z1000 for about 20 miles (rode it home for my dad who bought it, it's 45 and too cold for him). It's definitely an improvement over the previous designs and it feels great. Good power and very fun torque, not to mention the nice looks. Still not nearly as much fun as my supermoto but not everybody can be as blessed as to see the (orange) light.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I definitely do wear ear plugs while doing freeway riding but not around town which is where I'd be more likely to use the horn anyway. Rock concerts too.
I may get one anyway. My horn is nearly dead from years of living less than an inch above my cylinder head/exhaust outlet. I think it's been cooked.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
edit: wrong thread. sorry

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
When Im in my car, I dislike pedestrians. When Im a pedestrian, I dislike cars. In both cases, I loath bicycles.

But when Im on my motorcycle, I hate cars, and pedestrians, but bikes don't bother me that much.

weird

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Weeee. My front tire blew out on the interstate yesterday. It's generally not a fun experience to have your bike steer itself to the left when you tell it to go right. At interstate speeds. In traffic.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

You didn't drop it? Good riding.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

-Inu- posted:

Weeee. My front tire blew out on the interstate yesterday. It's generally not a fun experience to have your bike steer itself to the left when you tell it to go right. At interstate speeds. In traffic.

Any idea what caused it?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I just clutched 'er up and rode it out :smug:

But in all seriousness, I did save it somehow and managed to coax it into the breakdown lane. I think the most important part is staying calm when poo poo goes bad. I think I'm desensitized to all of that stuff at this point.

I was riding on a road where they've been doing pretty major construction for the last few years. I must have picked up a nail from that. Problem is that the nail didn't stay in the tire; so the nail flew out somehow and the resulting hole caused a sudden loss of air.

spootle
Nov 11, 2009

-Inu- posted:

I just clutched 'er up and rode it out :smug:

But in all seriousness, I did save it somehow and managed to coax it into the breakdown lane. I think the most important part is staying calm when poo poo goes bad. I think I'm desensitized to all of that stuff at this point.

I was riding on a road where they've been doing pretty major construction for the last few years. I must have picked up a nail from that. Problem is that the nail didn't stay in the tire; so the nail flew out somehow and the resulting hole caused a sudden loss of air.

Couldn't you have just wheelied to your destination?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Oh, you mean the joke he made the first line of the text you quoted? Yeah.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

JP Money posted:

Oh, you mean the joke he made the first line of the text you quoted? Yeah.

Good joke, that.

edit: because a total badass would just wheelie to wherever they were going

e2: oh and also he said it in his post, didn't notice

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 18, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
35 degrees today, snow predicted. Potholes and goatty roads everywhere. Horrid traffic consistently. Crappy urban planning.

Why am I still in upstate New York?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

Why am I still in upstate New York?

This is a question that everyone who lives in Upstate NY asks themselves on a daily basis.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

It was 60 degrees last week why the gently caress is it snowing? :(

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Because there really is no loving god :(

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Just changed out a clutch cable when it was snowing on me. :thumbsup:

Get the gently caress out, winter.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Whhaaaat, Suzuki is trying to get all uppity with their Brembo monoblocks on the new GSXR 600/750 I can't have that <:mad:>

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Skier posted:

Just changed out a clutch cable when it was snowing on me. :thumbsup:

Get the gently caress out, winter.

Phil didn't see his shadow, where's our early spring? Instead we get rain and snow. When it's not doing that, it's cold and 20mph winds. All I want is a day off of work when it's 70F, sunny and little wind. Is that really too much to ask?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Clank posted:

It was 60 degrees last week why the gently caress is it snowing? :(

Yesterday it was wicked sunny, today, driving rain, and I have to do an oil change (among other things) that I don't want to do in the wet. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Just got my M endorsement yesterday. Drove around for 3 hours and put 30 miles on the bike getting comfortable and cruising neighborhoods around my house.

Took it out on the real roads for the first time this morning to go to work... man. The feeling the first time you get to go out on the road is indescribable. I understand now why people love these things so much.

Also Basic Rider Safety should be a must for everyone. Even people who only drive cars. They should have to take it to get a license to show them the other vehicles on the road.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Wait till you go above 10mph.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Adding to the bicycle discussion I brought up earlier, I've more-or-less finished my commuter bicycle setup.

I started with a (free) 1991 Trek 2100 road bike. I added clipless pedals, a much higher and shorter quill stem, a cheap saddle, fenders, and moustache bars at just slightly below saddle height. Works really well and is much more comfortable, even just for five miles, than the drops on my Trek were. I still get about three or four hand positions, too, making it a little better in the longer rides than flat bars would be. I just use a backpack to haul my poo poo around, which works fine since my rucksack is pretty comfortable and light.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Gnaghi posted:

Wait till you go above 10mph.

10 or 100? I got it up to 55 and got nervous so I dropped it back down to 45, which I am comfortable at (and it was the speed limit anyway).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
10 cause you said you did 30 miles in 3 hours. :v:

Highway speeds can feel uncomfortable at first but once you get used to it it's more uncomfortable keeping it under the limit. I kinda miss those days actually, cause I could take a turn at 20mph and still be all :ssj:.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Gnaghi posted:

10 cause you said you did 30 miles in 3 hours. :v:

Highway speeds can feel uncomfortable at first but once you get used to it it's more uncomfortable keeping it under the limit. I kinda miss those days actually, cause I could take a turn at 20mph and still be all :ssj:.

OH yeah, that makes sense. Although it was all in residential so the starting/stopping/turning just tooling around was super fun. Also I kept stopping at places to get a drink because its hot out there right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KenMornignstar posted:

OH yeah, that makes sense. Although it was all in residential so the starting/stopping/turning just tooling around was super fun. Also I kept stopping at places to get a drink because its hot out there right now.

Any drink tastes better when you've gotten it via motorcycle.