Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006
Thanks for all the info, guys. If I get the 510, it would definitely be a second/play bike. My 675 can take care of the distance stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

upsidedown posted:

Orange LC4
Vibrating violently
My balls have gone numb

Penile numbness takes about two hours. It can be avoided temporarily by placing one rear end cheek on the seat instead of the taint area, but then your rear end starts to go numb.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

"Eh rigazzi, today our project is to make this race sumo a road legal bike. So lets slap some turn signals and a horn on that putana and go have a cafe at the bar across the street for the rest of the day. Good job everyone!"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool and I were once down at the Ducati dealer where a kid had just bought a 510 as a first bike.

Zool had to step in and show the sales guy the features of the bike, answered questions like 'no, there isn't a key', told him how to restrict it *later*.

We gave the kid our contact info and went on a ride with him later, he was doing well.. obviously respecting the bike, but man... that's a helluva first bike.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
"I guess you'll just have to put the tool roll in your pocket..."

I'd rather see a new rider on even the hairiest of motards than a 600cc i4. Even if you loop the bike it will likely be at low speed and the bike will be able to ride away after. My flatmates '03 Bandit 600 was unnerving after having ridden my SMC for a while. Taking off on the Bandit I was completely underwhelmed for the first 5 minutes. That is, until I hit about 7500rpm...

:supaburn:

Shedding weight as you ride
Made in Austria
it's Ready To Race.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The first race of the season yesterday turned out to be the last for me. I got tangled up with another bike and broke a tibia. :(

pre-breakage video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wcNhVfYHk

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Didn't you break your clavicle last season, too? That sucks, get better soon man. :(

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slim Pickens posted:

Didn't you break your clavicle last season, too?
yes
:suicide:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I was rooting for the guy on the scooter. That's awesome.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Penile numbness takes about two hours. It can be avoided temporarily by placing one rear end cheek on the seat instead of the taint area, but then your rear end starts to go numb.

I actually agree with your earlier post that the vibrations aren't too bad. The loving rock hard seat on the other hand... I keep talking about getting a gel seat but :effort: (and $400)

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
DRZ question! Because I am my own mechanic and I have only the worst shop manual I have ever come across, with 30x30 resolution b&w photographs and barely any text at all.

I've very nearly removed the motor now and I'm on the last mount, which goes through the... swingarm? Well right now it's on a sportbike swingarm stand so I can't remove that, right? Do I need to get a dirtbike stand? The manual seriously does not elaborate (actually it's all one step... "Remove engine from frame")

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Synonamess Botch posted:

DRZ question! Because I am my own mechanic and I have only the worst shop manual I have ever come across, with 30x30 resolution b&w photographs and barely any text at all.

I've very nearly removed the motor now and I'm on the last mount, which goes through the... swingarm? Well right now it's on a sportbike swingarm stand so I can't remove that, right? Do I need to get a dirtbike stand? The manual seriously does not elaborate (actually it's all one step... "Remove engine from frame")

Yes, you need to remove the swingarm to remove the last motor mount.

Send me a PM I've got a spare manual I'll send you.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Sure, PM sent. Anyway I've decided to do the transmission myself, I've done enough engine-on-frame work that I think I'm up for the challenge. Got to start somewhere anyhow. So far it's fairly straightforward but I haven't made it inside the motor quite yet so we'll see :shobon:

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Recommendations on price? KBB says 6100 retail.

2008 ktm 690 SMR, 3500 miles

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2340783218.html

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That price is on the high side but he'll probably get it or close to it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

That price is on the high side but he'll probably get it or close to it.

Yeah, the R model is pretty badass. KBB doesn't have the value for the R model, and I believe it ran about 1500-2k more, so figure around 7k is reasonable. I wouldn't want to run those wheels offroad/jump them at all though, if you're buying that, figure that it's going to be basically a street ride unless you want to chew up your nice rims. Spoked rims have a bit more flex which is really advantageous when you're beating the poo poo out of your bike.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lostleaf posted:

Recommendations on price? KBB says 6100 retail.

2008 ktm 690 SMR, 3500 miles

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2340783218.html

Huh? I thought that model was only sold in 2007. Then 2008+ was the SMC

Love the orange frame.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the difference between that older model SM and the current SMC?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There's a KTM duke/sumo history thread linked in the op. I think.

The 2007 SM (and SMR) sold poorly and didn't last.

I think the 2008+ SMC is 30 lbs lighter and more sumo orientated while the 2007 is more street orientated and comfy for longer rides. Not sure what else.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

it looks like the AFX Fx-39 is finally shipping in other sizes

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/afx-fx-39-dual-sport-helmet

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
How bad do off road and ds helmets make head checks at speed? My current helmet has started giving me pounding headaches after a while so I'm looking for something new. Very very little freeway riding, 95% takes place at less that 50 mph.

Also:

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

henne posted:

How bad do off road and ds helmets make head checks at speed?

I have a Shoei Hornet DS and have never really had a problem with it at freeway speeds.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Will a converted 450 or a KTM 'tard hold up to mileage the way a supersport will? I do like 12-15k miles a year, would this be prohibitively expensive? I can only assume it would be for a convert, but I'm curious about the KTMs.

Also, wtf is this on the header there?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 1, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

Will a converted 450 or a KTM 'tard hold up to mileage the way a supersport will? I do like 12-15k miles a year, would this be prohibitively expensive? I can only assume it would be for a convert, but I'm curious about the KTMs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, gently caress no. I rode a KTM 450 EXC converted into an SM, it's dash showed speed and engine hours. 450s are race motors.

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, wtf is this on the header there?

It's usually called a "powerbomb". I believe the idea is that it balances out the power curves on 4T singles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

2ndclasscitizen posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, gently caress no. I rode a KTM 450 EXC converted into an SM, it's dash showed speed and engine hours. 450s are race motors.
That's what I had figured, what about the 690, or is a DRZ400SM the only thing that will take decent mileage without making you broke? Let's say 5k miles.

Am I just smoking crack when I browse the picture thread at SMJ and assume they ride them daily? :D

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 1, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A 690 would be fine.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I'm pretty sure 690s have decent service intervals. What are the husky 600s like?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

henne posted:

I'm pretty sure 690s have decent service intervals. What are the husky 600s like?

510's - Race motors.
610's - Reliable but replace cam chain every 10,000 miles. (wtf?)
630's - Not sure, haven't heard much about them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Am I just smoking crack when I browse the picture thread at SMJ and assume they ride them daily? :D

Yes, you are. :shobon:

For street sumo, it's KTM 690, Husky 610, DRZ400, or the Husabergs that the US doesn't get.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I do similar mileage to you and my KTM 625 has held up fine so far...about 7k starting from October.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I do similar mileage to you and my KTM 625 has held up fine so far...about 7k starting from October.

Yeah that really should have been any relatively modern KTM LC4 sumo. I dont know how the earlier ones were.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Yes, you are. :shobon:

For street sumo, it's KTM 690, Husky 610, DRZ400, or the Husabergs that the US doesn't get.

We get all the current Husabergs now, the Supermoto (FS570) is not exactly meant for high mileage. The motor is supposedly more long lived than the KTM RFS motors, which it shares many parts with. It's not MX bike levels of maintenance, but it's closer to that than it is too a street bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How tall are you guys? I'm 5'7" and it's tippy toes or one flat foot while squishing nuts on the tank with my bike now. Never ridden a dirt bike bigger than an 80 two stroke so I'm not used to the height. Do they sink a lot with weight on them or is it just something to get used to?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

BlackMK4 posted:

How tall are you guys? I'm 5'7" and it's tippy toes or one flat foot while squishing nuts on the tank with my bike now. Never ridden a dirt bike bigger than an 80 two stroke so I'm not used to the height. Do they sink a lot with weight on them or is it just something to get used to?

5'8" Keep in mind that supermoto's have a very narrow seats this makes it much easier to deal with them being so high. And yeah they do sink more than bikes with less suspension travel do when you hop on.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

When you make it back down to Phoenix you are more than welcome to ride my WR250R. Its a dual-sport, not a dirtbike, but the controls and height are indicative of a dirtbike. Mine sinks a bit, I can touch with tip-toes with both feet but I normally just hang the left cheek off and use the left leg to stand.

edit: I'm 5'8"

jdonz fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm 5'11 and can just about place both my feet flat if I try with my KTM SM . I'd imagine the SMC is the same. I don't see it working well for anyone below 5'7 or so

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jdonz posted:

When you make it back down to Phoenix you are more than welcome to ride my WR250R. Its a dual-sport, not a dirtbike, but the controls and height are indicative of a dirtbike. Mine sinks a bit, I can touch with tip-toes with both feet but I normally just hang the left cheek off and use the left leg to stand.

edit: I'm 5'8"

Thank you for the offer. :) I'm going to see if I can get a test ride of the KTM or a Husky in a couple weeks at Ducati North Scottsdale. Last time I was in there they had one of each of the Husky SM bikes and I think they had a 690SM.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam...I have more trouble with sport bikes than motards. Tards squat under weight a fair amount and they are so light you can just lean them way the hell over. Takes a while to get used to but once you are it is great.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I can barely get both toes down on my DRZ when I have the dirt wheels/tires on it. Generally when I stop I just lean over on one foot flat and keep the other on the peg. I was worried as hell when I first bought it, but I was pretty much used to it by the time I made it home the day I bought it. I really don't even think about it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Just pulled the DRZ out of storage and getting ready for the season.

What are the cool tires to put on the DRZ. Are we still putting power pilots 2's on them? I 100% street. Barely even shoot across the grass for "shortcuts". So Im guessing power pilots are still the cool thing.

Also wanted to convert my bike from black to white. Getting the tank painted should be easy. Does any one know of a reputable place to buy plastics from?
http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/19/4/index.shtml
Seems legit. They dont have the radiator shrouds though. Also I guess white is a popular option since it seems like most places are sold out of white.

• Locked thread