Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

See if anything on the list is good, otherwise have a lance of King Crabs hotdrop on the clanners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

WarLocke posted:

Absolutely this should be the Gauss Rifle. :black101:

You spelled LB/10x wrong.

Consider: the IS's chances in any fight are based on luck, cunning, and sheer balls. The Gauss Rifle is an inelegant weapon. The LBx is finesse. It's cold and calculating. It best suits the heroes the IS has to offer. Also, TACing/headhitting-and-consciousness-checking any and all enemy mechs to death is fun as hell, and usually a lot more reliable math-wise.

Vote with your head. Vote LB/10x. And God Save the Prince.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Poptarts, I sent you an email with my idea. Please let me know what you decide.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fraction Jackson posted:

You spelled LB/10x wrong.

Consider: the IS's chances in any fight are based on luck, cunning, and sheer balls. The Gauss Rifle is an inelegant weapon. The LBx is finesse. It's cold and calculating. It best suits the heroes the IS has to offer. Also, TACing/headhitting-and-consciousness-checking any and all enemy mechs to death is fun as hell, and usually a lot more reliable math-wise.

Vote with your head. Vote LB/10x. And God Save the Prince.

you spelled LB-X/20 wrong

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

The 10 version is the only one that's lostech

the rest are clantech

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I will vote for anything that includes a lance of player controlled king crabs with dual AC/20s.

Comguard it is!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The appropriate atmospheric condition, for sheer 'gently caress you,' is hard vacuum.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The appropriate atmospheric condition, for sheer 'gently caress you,' is hard vacuum.
MechWarrior 4 hard vacuum (colder than water), or real hard vacuum (venting heat virtually impossible)?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Does it involve rescuing a Beautiful PrincessTM from the Evil Wizard's Tower (Registered)?

VVVV You think it was a really good idea. Oh Gods of GrimDark-SciFi, what has Bobbin wrought?

Slaan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 19, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Nah, it was actually a really good idea.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Felime posted:

The 10 version is the only one that's lostech

the rest are clantech

Yup. Reverse-engineered by the Houses, mostly, besides C3, which the Combine invented on their own. After Operation: Bulldog, though, you start seeing equipment that is totally new (HGRs, stealth armor, you know).

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Romance is an atmosphere.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

MechWarrior 4 hard vacuum (colder than water), or real hard vacuum (venting heat virtually impossible)?

I'd say the second. It certainly would render the Clanners' primarily energy weapon loadouts as a liability.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

AtomikKrab posted:

Sadly I think the 10x is the only one Comstar would have at this stage. Otherwise I'd have gladly stumped for the 20x in the hopes of the earliest possible design of the KGC-005.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

If I recall the absolute rear end-reaming I got in one game correctly, the kind of hard vacuum that's colder than water but can end up seizing your engine up after a single 2-point BB to the center torso.

Just 'cause.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Man, not even going to bother voting on this one it's pretty clear which way the wind is blowing.

Affi you can mail the cert to the same email I was using for the thread, ilkhanfel at gmail dot com . Thankfully I'm number 2678 on the pilot roster so it didn't come around to me before getting access to PMs.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

landcollector posted:

I'd say the second. It certainly would render the Clanners' primarily energy weapon loadouts as a liability.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the vacuum bandwagon if you don't know the vacuum rules. For all you know all the clan mechs could have harjel like their ships do. That would be a pretty funny realization actually...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fraction Jackson posted:

Sadly I think the 10x is the only one Comstar would have at this stage. Otherwise I'd have gladly stumped for the 20x in the hopes of the earliest possible design of the KGC-005.

this was my hope.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the vacuum bandwagon if you don't know the vacuum rules. For all you know all the clan mechs could have harjel like their ships do. That would be a pretty funny realization actually...

I was referring to heat buildup. As far as I can tell, harjel does nothing with regards to heat.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Longinus00 posted:

Pretty sure Battlemech HarJel systems weren't created until the late 3050s so we probably won't encounter that barring the Diamond Sharks suddenly having a scientific awakening.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AtomikKrab posted:

this was my hope.

The dual Gauss one is pretty cool. Just saying.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Victory to the Clans, if only just barely. If Zeus wouldn't have fallen... but it did, and the issue is resolved. By turn 20 there were no standing IS mechs left. Still, it was very close. Highlights were the clanner unwilling to kick the last remaining IS mech when Samantha was unconscious, and especially the Rommel which fought way above and beyond.

The fantastic start for IS turned sour by loss of two mechs very quickly afterwards and back to fight again made this a real nailbiter. Can't wait for the next one.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Angry_Ed posted:

Pretty sure Battlemech HarJel systems weren't created until the late 3050s so we probably won't encounter that barring the Diamond Sharks suddenly having a scientific awakening.

Even without harjel the clan range advantage means lots of breach rolls before the IS can even get close. I also don't think there are any vacuum heat related modifiers in the actual board game.

More bitching about battletech and physics goes here. VVV

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Slaan posted:

VVVV You think it was a really good idea. Oh Gods of GrimDark-SciFi, what has Bobbin wrought?
It'll be something to remember, I promise.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
There is only one true atmospheric condition for the next mission.
Underwater.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It'll be something to remember, I promise.

You could almost hear the panting of ominous thunder trying to catch up and wondering how in hell it had missed its cue.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Preechr posted:

There is only one true atmospheric condition for the next mission.
Underwater.

Energy weapons have a significantly reduced range, ballistic weapons don't work, and SRTs and LRTs are the only missile type weapons usable. Oh yes, and movement modifiers all over the place. Let's just say that most mechs won't be going anywhere fast, and many assault mechs won't be going anywhere at all.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
That's the beauty of it- pretty much none of the Clans' bullshit technology will do them any good. No Artemis, streak, UAC's, etc. Heat sink efficiency will be essentially moot. Granted, ER lasers will have better range than IS lasers, but do the Clans even USE torpedo launchers?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Preechr posted:

That's the beauty of it- pretty much none of the Clans' bullshit technology will do them any good. No Artemis, streak, UAC's, etc. Heat sink efficiency will be essentially moot. Granted, ER lasers will have better range than IS lasers, but do the Clans even USE torpedo launchers?
MW 2: GBL says yes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Preechr posted:

Clan SRMs/LRMs? They double as torpedo launchers. The IS versions? ... kinda don't.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Refractive atmosphere, laser weaponry doesn't work, clanners real mad as their main advantage is stripped from them.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

AtomikKrab posted:

Refractive atmosphere, laser weaponry doesn't work, clanners real mad as their main advantage is stripped from them.

Decide to use autocannons and missiles instead; Find out that they still own the poo poo out of the IS.

Voting A FOR VENGEANCE!

If A is anything other then Justin apologizing and giving the Coronel a shot at killing Liao with a drive-by hotdrop on Sian I will be deeply disappointed.
Please Please Please let the old players control their same characters. A three lance fight would be so amazing.

I have to have to have to win a competition so I can give you my idea for a scenario.

Affi fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 19, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Metallic sandstorms? Sounds perfect for Steiner Rules.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Oh please let it have been FCFP4!

Oh and on another note I vote B since people who orders sneaky business usually wants it to remain sneaky. I would expect betrayal.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan SRMs/LRMs? They double as torpedo launchers. The IS versions? ... kinda don't.

Um, Poptarts? Where do you read that? Everything I've ever read has stated that this is only true for <Redacted>-sized LRM-3 launchers, which can load either Missile or Torpedo launchers, and they only get invented for a different <Redacted> model than the basic <Redacted> that has yet to be weaponized by the Goliath Scorpions, and that Clans still need to swap in LRT/SRT launchers for 'mechs.*

Of course, they do have Streak SRTs, IIRC. And Artemis IV and V FCS works just as well with Torpedoes as with Missiles.

*"Freebirth! I challenge you to augmented combat! Name the location!" "Five miles off the coast."

"What?" "Underwater, five miles off the coast."

"... Aff." *turning back to quartermaster.* "Savrashi. We did not bring LRT/SRT launchers, quineg?" "Neg." "This shall be... Interesting."

Especially if it's Steiner Rules. :)

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zaodai posted:

ZeeToo, make it happen. Baby Kermit is counting on you to redeem his reputation.

PTN, any chance we can get a list of the lostech items that Impy could potentially choose from if he chose that as his prize? I was looking for a list of stuff online that was officially lostech but couldn't find one, and I feel like there's something better than DHS/AMS/Gauss Rifles that I'm missing (like Target Comps and C3 units that I couldn't remember if they were "lost" or not).

Ferro-Fibrous armor. Pretty much every L1 Mech has a shitload of open critspaces, so replacing standard with FF armor means that everything will be tougher. Well, except designs who are already at maximum armor, who will instead have some weight freed. Plus, it's one of the easier upgrades for field-refits.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Voting D

It's a trap! The mysterious contractor set up all those deaths and whatnot, and he's now planning to either simply draw the raging mercs into enemy territory, or sacrifice them to kill off either the sitting leader or the man plotting for the throne.

:tinfoil: We're staying right here!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Bad Moon posted:

Romance is an atmosphere.

All pilots must roll 4+ if they are within 10 hexes of a member of their preferred gender. Failure means they spend a round either swooning or angsting about their chances of conjugal success

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
New bondsman Samantha was first taken to apparel, to help make new uniforms for her clan. Unfortunately, the wires in her still heavily concussed mind crossed, and the result was not what her supervisors expected.

(front)

(rear)

Samantha was chastised for revealing what she thought the Vipers' plan of attack would be on a shirt. Oddly, despite orders to burn the lot, many were preserved: this is how the concept of "ironic" T-shirts first came to the Clans. Seyla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

New bondsman Samantha was first taken to apparel, to help make new uniforms for her clan. Unfortunately, the wires in her still heavily concussed mind crossed, and the result was not what her supervisors expected.

(front)

(rear)

Samantha was chastised for revealing what she thought the Vipers' plan of attack would be on a shirt. Oddly, despite orders to burn the lot, many were preserved: this is how the concept of "ironic" T-shirts first came to the Clans. Seyla.

Is the merchant caste selling these? I would buy the hell out of one.

• Locked thread