Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
After drinking Four Loko for the first time over the weekend and suffering a hangover that's near the top of my worst ever list, I decided to listen to the Best Show Four Loko episode tonight and it is completely spot on about the experience from Aimee Mann's initial description of it being the worst hangover ever right on through their not-at-all-slow descent into drunkeness throughout the show and the sounds of people recoiling in horror at their first sip throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Just wanted to let you guys know that the latest episode of Lou Reads the Internet for YOU! is up

Episode 69: The Discussions of Tea Party Nation

Its another episode recorded at my job and I was coming down with strep throat while I recorded it. That doesn't detract from the quality!

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

NecronSchmecron posted:

Buzz Aldren punched a moon quack in the face when said quack told Buzz he never went there. That man has been to the moon. Sorry, Joe.

To be fair, anything that pisses off Buzz 'MY LEGACY AND ONLY MINE' Aldren off is pretty cool by me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

shotgunbadger posted:

To be fair, anything that pisses off Buzz 'MY LEGACY AND ONLY MINE' Aldren off is pretty cool by me.

You probably wouldn't see that if you saw the footage - the guy is an utter, utter, UTTER dick about it.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Fil5000 posted:

You probably wouldn't see that if you saw the footage - the guy is an utter, utter, UTTER dick about it.

Oh I know people who think it's all fake and all, and yea most are utterly insufferable about it, just generally being an rear end and taking the chance to say 'also gently caress Buzz though'.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

King Lou posted:

Just wanted to let you guys know that the latest episode of Lou Reads the Internet for YOU! is up

Episode 69: The Discussions of Tea Party Nation

Its another episode recorded at my job and I was coming down with strep throat while I recorded it. That doesn't detract from the quality!

Just have to say I made a podcast playlist and have been steadily working through your backlog by putting it probably every 4th podcast I listen to, they're the perfect length too.
And the incest and bestiality ones made me look like a crazy person walking around the city, I must've looked ridiculous, cringing at some of those things.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

shotgunbadger posted:

If you can find a way to listen to his most recent appearance on the Howard Stern show, you should. It was a pretty interesting interview, and the way he degenerates into a creepy old horndog towards the end is fantastic.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

ilysespieces posted:

Just have to say I made a podcast playlist and have been steadily working through your backlog by putting it probably every 4th podcast I listen to, they're the perfect length too.
And the incest and bestiality ones made me look like a crazy person walking around the city, I must've looked ridiculous, cringing at some of those things.

Thanks, man.

Believe me, I've had plenty of awful train rides to work listening to my own podcast with an "OH NO!" frown on my face.

Please let me know if you hit any messed up files as you go through the episodes. I'm still not 100% convinced the media transfer issues were finally fixed...

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

In early NNF Pardo suggested they not rile up Rogan because he's a "Millionaire Ninja", to which Mike Schmidt replied "That's like being a President-Astronaut". And he's not far off.
[BTW - 40 Year-Old Boy in PDX this Friday WHAT'S UP!!!!????]

Mike's first podcast for year four started slow but had me laughing out loud several times today during an otherwise lovely day. Dude is a machine gun of humor.

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

"Skeptic Tank" I think is one of my favorites of those. They've recently guested a comic telling his tales of becoming heavily involved with the "massage parlor"/prostitute circuit

Which episode is this? was the comic anonymous?

Edit: Found it... Episode 2... Mike Black?

SeventhSeven fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 15, 2011

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

infopimp posted:

Mike's first podcast for year four started slow but had me laughing out loud several times today during an otherwise lovely day. Dude is a machine gun of humor.

I'm seeing him tomorrow in Portland! Will report back. If the San Francisco show was any indication it should be awesome.

infopimp posted:

Which episode is this? was the comic anonymous?
Edit: Found it... Episode 2... Mike Black?

I think the guy remained anonymous from what I recall, but if you've found it you'll know within the first few minutes.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

King Lou posted:

Thanks, man.

Believe me, I've had plenty of awful train rides to work listening to my own podcast with an "OH NO!" frown on my face.

Please let me know if you hit any messed up files as you go through the episodes. I'm still not 100% convinced the media transfer issues were finally fixed...

I've noticed it a couple of times, but just realized this might be what you're talking about. In the people who can't hold their weed episode it starts without the into with about 2 minutes of the first stories, then goes back to the beginning and the end is cut off to make up for the extra 2 minutes in the beginning.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

ilysespieces posted:

I've noticed it a couple of times, but just realized this might be what you're talking about. In the people who can't hold their weed episode it starts without the into with about 2 minutes of the first stories, then goes back to the beginning and the end is cut off to make up for the extra 2 minutes in the beginning.

I just got an email about that one but when I play it in the browser its fine. I really do not get what the gently caress is going on. So annoying... I'll re-upload the media. Thanks again. If you notice it please PM or email me. Thanks.

EDIT: Just confirmed it. Oh how I hate the vagaries of interwebs. FIXING Fixed. Try again please.

http://loureads.com/2009/07/24/lou-reads-stories-of-people-who-cant-handle-their-weed/

King Lou fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 15, 2011

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Really enjoying The Sporkful. It's not pure comedy, but it is funny when the guys get into an argument over the dividing line between dip and condiment. It's a 15-minute podcast where two guys (sometimes with a guest) discuss a food topic, like the best way to make popcorn, perfect PB&J technique, or something else stupid. It's not a deep Alton Brown discussion, just a fun conversation. There are episodes with Todd Barry and Marc Maron, but I think the best way to try it out is just pick a food that you like (or that there's been a family dispute over or something) and see if you like it.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

So I download the latest episode of Andy Dick's podcast and was pleasantly surprised. It actually seemed pretty heartfelt kind of like WTF and apparently Andy Dick now lives in a shed with a couple of dogs.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
This week's CDR features the reverend Fred Phelps and it is loving amazing. Faggots.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Sneeing Emu posted:

This week's CDR features the reverend Fred Phelps and it is loving amazing. Faggots.

Yeah. I dislike Besser for personal reasons but I I felt this was one of his best CDRs. I loved the improv scenes. Totally hilarious.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

King Lou posted:

Yeah. I dislike Besser for personal reasons but I I felt this was one of his best CDRs. I loved the improv scenes. Totally hilarious.

Do elaborate! What personal reasons?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Yeah, I wanna hear that story as well.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
There were some stories earlier in this thread about him (Besser) acting like a obnoxious tyrant during imrov classes. I'm also interested in hearing King Lou's Besser story.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

HaterBaby posted:

Do elaborate! What personal reasons?

Nothing he did directly to me but rather to a friend. The short story is my friend was running a small comedy theater and one of the shows he personally oversaw was a show called "Saturday Night Rewritten." The show was a dig at SNL. What they would do was watch SNL then Sunday Morning they would meet and re-imagine the previous nights SNL show and write a whole new sketch show and then perform it in same night. I wrote on a couple of episodes. It was a fun exercise. SNR was getting some light press. At this time SNL was suffering a lot of criticism. It was maybe just as the lonely island guys were about to get hired and revitalize the show in a way. For some reason Besser decided SNR was out of line for making fun of SNL because he had friends on the show. He really was saying all kinds of hypocritical stuff about how it wasn't cool to make fun of another show and other things about how unfair and unfunny the show was.He had never personally seen it but heard it was bad. He declared performing in SNR was off limits for anyone who wanted to perform at the UCB. If you did both you would be banned from performing at UCB. Then he basically asked everyone on the improv forum to declare if they did or didn't have his back. There was a huge outpouring of "I got your back" posts by people who had no interest in the fight just because they wanted to gain favor. It was a really negative week of all this ramped up debate. Ultimately my friend was so disheartened by the whole event that he quit comedy all together. He shut his theater. It was basic comedy-big crushes comedy-smallfry for no gain. So whenever I hear him I'm reminded of it but they guy IS funny.

Besser also took offense to my friend starting his theater in first place. He'd done it because he felt the UCB was an unfair insiders club and let people know that. Still like McDonalds being mad at Larry's Halal Cart, in my opinion.

He also really scarred a lot of people who ended up coaching my improv groups. They would all tell stories about how he would weed people out of the class. He would really make a concerted effort to make people cry in his class. Not in an exercise but rather just to feel bad about themselves and cry. I never experienced that myself but I've been told that by many people independently.

TL;DR Matt Besser was mean to a friend of mine and threatened all local performers not to do shows at the theater. Also I hear he is a jerk.

Here is the link to the actual thread. Its still up a 6 years later. http://www.improvresourcecenter.com/mb/showthread.php?t=39907

All that being said, the guy is undoubtably funny and I think I've enjoyed almost all his characters on CDR. I wasn't expecting to take this loooong walk down memory lane. I'm not as mad as I used to be about it. I managed to perform for 8 years without doing it at the UCB and I had fun doing it. The Besser ban never went into effect anyway. As for my friend, he works in the video game industry now. He's a happier person.

EDIT: I just reread that thread. Oh, the painful memories! I am actually friendly with some of the people I was arguing with back then. Of course they are no longer UCB insiders so they are less likely to have the back of whomever.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 19, 2011

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
That kind of attitude seems to be lifting from the comedy world, at least from the view the recent slew of podcasts has given me. On WTF a few weeks ago, Bobcat Goldthwait was talking about how he, and Kevin Pollak were performing in two different clubs the same night, spotted each other fliering, and got bitter about the other potentially stealing audience members. Now about 30 years later, they're friends and realize how silly they were being.

The comedy pond has gotten a lot bigger.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
This makes me like Matt Besser a lot less :( Oh well, hopefully he's calmed down since then.

That whole post is pretty pathetic and over reactionary (wtf? SNL can't defend itself?) as is all the people posting "I've got your back!". Dude, you're not in turf war in the Bronx. Oh well, the internet was newer and stuff back then, and people were dumber. Still, this is going to make me like Besser's comedy less.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Sometimes the podcasts get sort of incestuous (Greg Fitzimmons on Adam Carolla's show, then vice versa the same week), and there are those guys that seem to make the rounds of everything, like Dana Gould or Mike Birbiglia.

It got me to thinking about the standups and other comedians that we haven't heard from,, or at least not on the dozen or so best known podcasts. For example, I think black comedians are pretty underrepresented on these, and I don't know why. Can you imagine Marc Maron talking to Dave Chappelle, or Kevin Pollak talking to Chris Rock (I've heard he's been doing a lot of last minute standup appearances, trying all sorts of different material)?

Some others on the wish list:
- Ron White (a bunch of the alternative comics seem to really respect him or have written for him, and we also don't really hear much from the southern comedians either)
- Jane Curtin (has been opening up recently about the dark aspects of early SNL)
- Steven Wright
- Emo Phillips

Some who would have been great for unfiltered conversations:
- Richard Pryor
- Redd Foxx
- John Belushi
- Sam Kinison
- Eddie Murphy circa 1984

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

benito posted:

For example, I think black comedians are pretty underrepresented on these, and I don't know why.

Cyber Thug :smith:...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Maarak posted:

That kind of attitude seems to be lifting from the comedy world, at least from the view the recent slew of podcasts has given me. On WTF a few weeks ago, Bobcat Goldthwait was talking about how he, and Kevin Pollak were performing in two different clubs the same night, spotted each other fliering, and got bitter about the other potentially stealing audience members. Now about 30 years later, they're friends and realize how silly they were being.

The comedy pond has gotten a lot bigger.

Oh, then there was the great improv theater schizm that happened where teachers from UCB left and started their own theater. The Peoples Improv Theater was born. Then those two guys had differences and one left and started the Magnet Theater with one of the people from that thread I posted. There was even a time when the UCB said if you performed at either of those theaters you couldn't be on a house team at the UCB. So petty. The Peoples Improv Theater is probably the most chill. Any student of any improv school can see most shows there for free. The UCB has totally calmed down. There is a lot of overflow across all the schools now.

Besser lives in LA now. To be fair that thread is super old and I have no idea what the guy is like today. However, back then I thought he was a total dick. Like I said, I am friendly with a lot of those people today.

Besser was great as Fred Phelps & Kanye East and many others. Although I think I liked him as Phelps the most so far because it was the most grounded. I dunno.

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.
Anyone else listening to My Brother, My Brother, and Me? I randomly started listening and I'm amazed at how much comedy they pack into 40 or so minutes.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Speaking of SNL and The Lonely Island, Andy Samberg is on this weeks Nerdist.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Geekslinger posted:

Speaking of SNL and The Lonely Island, Andy Samberg is on this weeks Nerdist.

That new Lonely Island song they played on CDR was great.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Matt Besser does not need me to defend him, but the whole "makes people cry in improv classes and gets off on it" is a little ridiculous and overblown. I remember hearing about the bad blood between UCB and the PIT and the Magnet when both theaters spun off the UCB, but I think that's because all three theaters wanted to cement their own identity. Nowadays, the New York theaters are pretty cool with each other.

It's lovely your friend quit comedy, King Lou, but it is pretty lovely to do a show that piggy backs off the popularity of another show while simultaneously trashing it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Satire Forum Mom posted:

It's lovely your friend quit comedy, King Lou, but it is pretty lovely to do a show that piggy backs off the popularity of another show while simultaneously trashing it.

Not to pick sides but from what I read of Bessers post he was just calling people out for being petty themselves. Basically re-hashing SNL skits and calling the original poo poo is a pretty stupid idea. Also the party for people who weren't asked to join the UCB group, UCB members not allowed because "will be making fun of you and shoo you out."

It sounds like Matt was just calling people out for being lovely.

I like his characters, this weeks CDRR was great.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Maarak posted:

Cyber Thug :smith:...

Amen sister.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Matt Besser does not need me to defend him, but the whole "makes people cry in improv classes and gets off on it" is a little ridiculous and overblown. I remember hearing about the bad blood between UCB and the PIT and the Magnet when both theaters spun off the UCB, but I think that's because all three theaters wanted to cement their own identity. Nowadays, the New York theaters are pretty cool with each other.

Well, we'll have to disagree to disagree. The show wasn't ripping SNL off. They just used the sketches from the previous night as suggestions. They actual sketches were nothing like the SNL sketches. This whole thing happened 5 years ago so taking sides at this moment in history is pointless. SNL at the time was terrible. As for doing the show it was a great time. No one on the show was purposely saying "This sketch is a real dig on that bad one from last night." Also to say it was really benefiting from the SNL's popularity or bad feelings about the show is absurd. This was 40 seat theater in the basement of another theater. 1/2 the seating of UCB. No built in audience of students.

As far as There are entire shows based on making fun of other shows. I mean, youtube is nothing but parodies. It wasn't a parody. It was just a show created in one day inspired by the previous nights SNL (which at the time was considered very poor) If they had something to say about it they should have said so.

I don't know if you read the thread but Besser basically started it. Dropped his loving balls all over SNR and then never returned. Leaving the "Got your back"rs to insult a smaller theater for doing a small comedy show that none of them had actually seen.

As for his rep back in the day I just asked someone who was performer in the theater in the early 2000's (pre-this event). Their response to "what was Matt Besser's rep back then?" "Monstrous and cruel."

Now, lets please not discuss this issue anymore. I don't want to derail the thread. The NYC scene is way better and more inclusive across the board. My friend is perfectly happy doing what he's doing now.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

CDR is so great.
"I can tell by your name Scott Cockerman, you're clearly a human being."
"...well you've got me there."

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I have a friend in the LA comedy scene and I've heard some pretty lovely things about Besser. So maybe he's getting better but he's still one of those guys who needs to have his rear end kicked to fix him.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
There's a lovely "looking out for my friends" vibe to a lot of these insular comedy scenes. Particularly for comedians who are merciless about going after anyone who pisses them off, but if you point out that Night at the Museum sucked, that's too far, because I know someone involved in that.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

wafflesnsegways posted:

but if you point out that Night at the Museum sucked, that's too far, because I know someone involved in that.

Tom Lennon was a script doctor on that film how dare you :mad:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Bo-Pepper posted:

Tom Lennon was a script doctor on that film how dare you :mad:

I thought Tom Lennon and Ben Garant actually wrote that one? Am I wrong? Possibly.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

I'm working through UYD from the beginning and my favorite catchphrase is "get up in your guts" used as a metaphor for sex, and also abortion. It's...evocative.

I will admit, don't know what it is about Californian white dudes, but for the most part, they do a pretty good job of smoothly incorporating black slang like "get all up in your guts".

Bohemian Nights posted:

I really like Rogan. Sure, he's high to the gills in every natural drug he comes across, and he's really into new age poo poo and his conspiracy theories and occasional lack of historical knowledge can be kind of grating, but he's a real dude, and he's actually toned down a lot of his conspiracy poo poo when faced with facts, and he seems to be one of the rare few outspoken people who're actually able to change their mind when presented with sufficient evidence, and I feel he's good with telling people that this is just what HE thinks and what HE heard, and not the absolute facts-- and he and his guests are usually very funny.

However, if you have a low tolerance for conspiracy stuff and take absolutely no drugs or care about the personal histories of stand-up comedians, the rogan podcast probably isn't for you.

Edit; The best part of the podcast is every episode with Joey Diaz.

This pretty much sums up my ability to mostly tolerate the conspiracy theory nonsense because in the end, I know that if Rogan were confronted by a more knowledgeable person, he'd change his tune. Granted, their most recent theories that the CIA was behind the Libya civil war and Joey Diaz's junkie insistence that the U. S. invaded Afghanistan to corner the heroin market are painfully ill-informed, but what do you expect from a bunch of stoners?

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011

benito posted:

For example, I think black comedians are pretty underrepresented on these, and I don't know why.

This. Cyber Thug was the closest thing available with at least one black comedian and a distinctly urban vibe. Goddamnit, someone bring it back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

CDR is so great.
"I can tell by your name Scott Cockerman, you're clearly a human being."
"...well you've got me there."

I ain't your daddy human being.

• Locked thread