Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Pester posted:

And if the one other bit of history mentioned needs refreshed, Roy gets peeved at people forgetting their evil deeds because Xykon couldn't remember killing Roy's father's master.

Or Roy's name, in any of their encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I love Thog, but it's gonna be awesome to see Roy go full Conan in this pit fight.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

Is what Roy is referencing online or in the books? You read this stripe for years nearly biweekly and you forget the small stuff.

Heck, it updates so slowly, I've forgotten almost all of the plot. I'll probably spend a few days re-reading the whole thing whenever it finally wraps up.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is Roy is actually more expendable from a plot perspective than Thog, because it's been established that the party can rez a member pretty easily and it's unclear whether Nale would Rez Thog.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Toussaint Louverture posted:

The funny thing is Roy is actually more expendable from a plot perspective than Thog, because it's been established that the party can rez a member pretty easily and it's unclear whether Nale would Rez Thog.

This is stupid. You are stupid. It took them almost a year (?) in-comic to find a priest that could rez Roy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

While that's technically true, that priest was Durkon.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Interestingly enough, this is one the few situations in 3.x D&D where fighters actually shine. Combat is assured to take place in melee, with neither combatant being able to really force saving throws, nor deny the other a tactical position.

Roy actually has the upper hand in a few ways, Combat Expertise can allow him to fight defensively at the cost of a iterative attack once Thog rages, forcing Thog to sacrifice power attack to even stand a chance of hitting Roy, Thog's special features (rage included) don't give him much of an upper hand over Roy's feats, both buffing to hit and damage rolls in a similar fashion. He also has some 5 unknown fighter feats, that are likely pretty focused on hitting things with his sword in more reliable ways. The only downside is if Thog begins to make sunder attempts, because in unarmed combat Roy doesn't stand a chance.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Red_Mage posted:

Interestingly enough, this is one the few situations in 3.x D&D where fighters actually shine. Combat is assured to take place in melee, with neither combatant being able to really force saving throws, nor deny the other a tactical position.

Please... at Roy's level, any mage could kill, dominate, imprison, or paralyze him with no trouble at all, from point-blank range if need be. Just about the only way to not completely outclass him would be to throw brute-force blast spells, which is probably why that's what most mages do in OotS-world.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ashenai posted:

Please... at Roy's level, any mage could kill, dominate, imprison, or paralyze him with no trouble at all, from point-blank range if need be. Just about the only way to not completely outclass him would be to throw brute-force blast spells, which is probably why that's what most mages do in OotS-world.

Um, this has nothing to do with mages? Well, except Red_Mage, who's correct: Roy has a good mechanical chance to put Thog down.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Ashenai posted:

Yea Roy's gonna be in some pretty big trouble when some random spell caster from the crowd starts throwing save or dies at him. Until then he'll have to busy himself beating the crap out of Thog.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Well, considering the gladiator armor is probably barely functional, I doubt either Roy or Thog have an AC over 13. From a mechanical standpoint, it's really just a Power Attack vs HP reserve race.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

inthesto posted:

Well, considering the gladiator armor is probably barely functional, I doubt either Roy or Thog have an AC over 13. From a mechanical standpoint, it's really just a Power Attack vs HP reserve race.

Otherwise known as "Whoever goes first wins"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Unless Thog has leap attack or levels in Frenzied Berserker, I don't think any one-shotting is going to happen.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Affi posted:

This is stupid. You are stupid. It took them almost a year (?) in-comic to find a priest that could rez Roy.

More accurately it took a year to escape Azure City and arrange for circumstances in which Roy could be raised, and this was largely because he died during a massive party-splitting battle which separated the party for, well, about a year.

The current circumstances, in which the Order of the Stick are all in the same place and Elan is the son of the local dictator, are very different.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Especially given that Tarquin aims for his son to leave and grow in power, as well as his right hand man being noted as capable of resurrection and prepared for it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Durkon's 20 yards away. Literally the only problem is Roy losing yet another level. He'd be like 3 levels behind. A fighter three levels behind the party is only a little more useful than a commoner three levels behind. Even the diamonds aren't an issue for parties in the teens.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Is it just me or is Elan's dad somehow breaking the 4th wall? He's essentially saying that Thog is a homicidal maniac and yet everyone still likes him.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The first strip vaporized the 4th wall. You may actually have inhaled a little back in '03.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Misandu posted:

Yea Roy's gonna be in some pretty big trouble when some random spell caster from the crowd starts throwing save or dies at him. Until then he'll have to busy himself beating the crap out of Thog.

I'm wondering if something isn't going on here, though. Consider that Roy whacked the poo poo out of Thog from behind and the sword went "clunk" or whatever, knocked Thog down but he didn't say "Ow" or otherwise indicate that it actually hurt, AND there are no scuffs or red lines indicating HP damage on Thog. Any one of those things, I wouldn't think anything of it, but all three?

Just sayin'.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

navyjack posted:

I'm wondering if something isn't going on here, though. Consider that Roy whacked the poo poo out of Thog from behind and the sword went "clunk" or whatever, knocked Thog down but he didn't say "Ow" or otherwise indicate that it actually hurt, AND there are no scuffs or red lines indicating HP damage on Thog. Any one of those things, I wouldn't think anything of it, but all three?

Just sayin'.

Thog is a mid level Barbarian in some sort of 3/3.5 world, his skull is about as resistant to damage as wood so it's not too surprising they make the same noise when you hit them with a long metal stick.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
There is also the possibility that Thog was given some buffs before he was shoved out into the arena.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The simpler explanation is that visible body damage is relative to hit points, and Thog is just made out of hit points.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

inthesto posted:

The simpler explanation is that visible body damage is relative to hit points, and Thog is just made out of hit points.

thog's mostly a barbarian, right? D12 hit die? Yeah, he's just tripping over hit points by this point.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
High level 3.5 barbs also get some DR. With a nonmagical sword I could see it coming into play

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Morand posted:

High level 3.5 barbs also get some DR. With a nonmagical sword I could see it coming into play

But isn't this Roy's father's sword reforged with meteoric iron and enchanted with - oh look I've gone cross-eyed :shepface:

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Morand posted:

Nilbop posted:

But isn't this Roy's father's sword reforged with meteoric iron and enchanted with - oh look I've gone cross-eyed :shepface:
:science:Barbarians get DR X/- (aka 5/-) which means it isn't affected by the magical properties that usually bypass damage reduction.

D20 SRD posted:

Damage Reduction (Ex)
At 7th level, a barbarian gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the barbarian takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At 10th level, and every three barbarian levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th level), this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

I like to pronounce it "Dee Are 5 Slashdash" because it sounds like a Mario Kart game.

Misandu fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 20, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Roy's sword is +5 though, so I guess he's just rolling usual weapon damage?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That's not his sword, that's a loaner.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Pope Guilty posted:

Roy's sword is +5 though, so I guess he's just rolling usual weapon damage?

Roy isn't using his sword.

efb: should've been using inherent bonuses

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 20, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Welp. Nevermind me, then.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
(His name is Roy Greenhilt.)

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
It's a gladiator battle. They probably gave him a dull sword to make sure the fight is drawn out and interesting. No one wants to see a coup de grace in the first 10 seconds. It's like MMA or boxing. Sure, talking about someone getting knocked out in under 10 seconds is cool, but people who paid money to go to that fight probably would have enjoyed a bit more of a show than 10 seconds...

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

(His name is Robert Paulson.)

(ftfy)

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Wow, I never noticed until now that Thog is literally just a recolor of Roy with fangs.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Every male character is literally just a recolor of Roy with additional features.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Gay Polymers posted:

Wow, I never noticed until now that Thog is literally just a recolor of Roy with fangs.

:what:

The art isn't really complex. You should have seen this earlier.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009

KOraithER posted:

Every male character is literally just a recolor of Roy with additional features.

Durkon :colbert:

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Kuros posted:

:what:

The art isn't really complex. You should have seen this earlier.

I know it's not complex and all, that was just something I'd never noticed. Plus Thog hasn't been around for awhile. Whatever, forget I said it. :v:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Gay Polymers posted:

I know it's not complex and all, that was just something I'd never noticed. Plus Thog hasn't been around for awhile. Whatever, forget I said it. :v:

I didn't mean to come off as a dick. I apologize. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Of course, Thog in particular is also Roy's evil opposite; they have more reason than normal to be visually close.