Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

Fortunately Taschen always ends up releasing cheaper versions of these for around $50-60. Can't wait to get the Kubrick Napoleon one.

They still haven't released a cheaper version of the Bergman Archives like they did for Kubrick :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Other and Legend of Drunken Master, what films can I find good fight scenes using Savate?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

They still haven't released a cheaper version of the Bergman Archives like they did for Kubrick :(

Best Christmas gift ever. :smug:

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life was on last night and it reminded me of something...

At the end of the movie, Graham Chapman is singing "Christmas in Heaven" and he's dressed up to look like someone, but I have no idea who he was supposed to be.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Sizzlechest posted:

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life was on last night and it reminded me of something...

At the end of the movie, Graham Chapman is singing "Christmas in Heaven" and he's dressed up to look like someone, but I have no idea who he was supposed to be.

I don't think he's supposed to be anyone in particular other than a lounge singer, but he does have a bit of a Tony Bennett look going on.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

^^^ what he said

Sizzlechest posted:

Wikipedia says Tony Bennett but he doesn't usually wear those flashy suits so maybe he's just a generic Vegas singer.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

Criminal Minded posted:

Fortunately Taschen always ends up releasing cheaper versions of these for around $50-60. Can't wait to get the Kubrick Napoleon one.
Oh, I know, I know...and as a huge Scorsese fan, it's driving me nuts patiently waiting for Taschen to announce the cheaper version.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Detective Thompson posted:

I don't think he's supposed to be anyone in particular other than a lounge singer, but he does have a bit of a Tony Bennett look going on.

Yeah, it's really more of a pastiche to that general style. Also, am I alone in thinking that The Meaning Of Life is the best Python film? The humor is so wonderfully, uncompromisingly cruel.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

fenix down posted:

^^^ what he said

Wikipedia says Tony Bennett but he doesn't usually wear those flashy suits so maybe he's just a generic Vegas singer.

Yeah, that's not even close to Tony Bennett. I was wondering if there was some British celebrity in the early 80s he was mimicking.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, it's really more of a pastiche to that general style. Also, am I alone in thinking that The Meaning Of Life is the best Python film? The humor is so wonderfully, uncompromisingly cruel.

I don't know if it's the best, but it's certainly aged the best. Honestly, "Holy Grail" and "Life of Brian" are so cheap-looking and stale now.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
Trying to remember the name of the zombie film where the outbreak is contained inside a building and the protagonist has to keep the outbreak inside. Any ideas?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I know [REC] (and I guess Quarantine) takes place inside one building, but the protagonists aren't so much containing it as trying to survive. How big a building are we talking about?

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That one's my favorite. I especially love the universe song...!

rorty
Oct 13, 2010

VROOM VROOM posted:

I know [REC] (and I guess Quarantine) takes place inside one building, but the protagonists aren't so much containing it as trying to survive. How big a building are we talking about?

I think it was an apartment block or a school or something. Fairly large.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Not at all. Right from the Crimson Permanent Assurance, I knew it was going to be something special even by Python standards.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's always been my favourite, but I'm usually slightly off-centre when it comes to these things--The Life Aquatic is my favourite Wes Anderson, and The Fountain is my favourite Aronofsky.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

While I don't really like The Meaning of Life overall I can't deny it has some biting skits. Others just fall flat for me.

Personally I think the Life of Brian is their best and Holy Grail is tremendously overrated by people that just want wacky things to quote.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No way. I love Meaning of Life to death. As far as I'm concerned, it's the closest they ever came to recapturing the magical oddness of the TV series. Musical comedy doesn't get much better than "Every Sperm Is Sacred".

FratBoyJesus
Jun 18, 2006
So I just got done watching Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and I think I got most of the confusing parts but one thing is still bugging me.

I know the girlfriend made contact with the organ dealers so the boyfriend could get his revenge, but when he busts in there is a girl on the table getting 'operated on'. Did the girlfriend really go that far to help him? I know the movies are dark but that seems excessive. It's confusing because that scene is also spliced in with the interrogation scene with the girlfriend and the dad so I am not sure.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wow, I never knew Graham Chapman was the singer at the end of Meaning of Life.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

rorty posted:

Trying to remember the name of the zombie film where the outbreak is contained inside a building and the protagonist has to keep the outbreak inside. Any ideas?
Could this be it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braindead_(film)

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

dolphins are gay posted:

Could this be it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braindead_(film)

Lol yes, that is definitely the plot point people are likely to remember from Braindead.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
poo poo, I think I just had the major twist of Moon ruined for me.

Clone or...he meets himself, I think. Some oddness like that.

If that's it...would it still be worth making plans to see it later? I tend to get to a lot of movies much later after their release dates, and Moon was on my list after all of the talk I'd seen about it among the cinema goons.

Rosemont fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 19, 2011

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
You should still see it. I've had plenty of movies ruined for me over the years, but that doesn't stop me from seeing them if it's something I've wanted to see. There's still plenty of other stuff going on in a movie that makes it worthwhile.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LucyWanabe posted:

poo poo, I think I just had the major twist of Moon ruined for me.

Clone or...he meets himself, I think. Some oddness like that.

If that's it...would it still be worth making plans to see it later? I tend to get to a lot of movies much later after their release dates, and Moon was on my list after all of the talk I'd seen about it among the cinema goons.

This isn't a twist. It's the main point of the movie, and is even in the trailer (1:07) of the movie. It's not supposed to be a surprise.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Edit: ^^^ I actually didn't know it because I never watched trailers for it, nor heard it until recently.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

LucyWanabe posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm just thinking of how the impact of it is lessened because I know what's coming now. I probably will see it, I just feel kind of cheated, I suppose (and then my knee-jerk reaction is to be pissed).

Don't worry there's A LOT more to that movie. The reveal is actually really, really earlier in the film--much earlier than I expected. Do yourself a favour and see it.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, it'll stay on the list. I'm kind of jumping the gun here.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
My friends and I were watching A Knight's Tale last week for some reason, and we were trying to think of other period pieces where contemporary music was used. I don't possess anything near the film knowledge that the posters here do, what are the more famous examples of this happening?

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

DannoMack posted:

My friends and I were watching A Knight's Tale last week for some reason, and we were trying to think of other period pieces where contemporary music was used. I don't possess anything near the film knowledge that the posters here do, what are the more famous examples of this happening?

Marie Antoinette and Moulin Rouge immediately come to mind.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

DannoMack posted:

There's a scene in Black Knight that uses contemporary music similarly to A Knight's Tale, and it came out the same year.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Speaking of spoilers, I had Black Swan somewhat spoiled for me, I think. I'm not sure though: I'd been waiting for this movie to come out quite some time, very excited, but before I had a chance to see it, a friend of mine - who had seen it - told me that the protagonist was delusional/had a split personality and that Nina wasn't real. I was really, really annoyed with being told this, but my friend claimed that you were supposed to know before seeing the movie. I don't recall hearing about that in the trailer though, so what, did I have the movie spoiled for me or was I supposed to know?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Didn't hurt my experience much, same as for Moon. But then again I was high as a kite while watching Black Swan.

Wait, that was Bal/Honey.

Still, knowing about that part of Black Swan didn't hurt much. Just try not to think too much about it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

csidle posted:

Speaking of spoilers, I had Black Swan somewhat spoiled for me, I think. I'm not sure though: I'd been waiting for this movie to come out quite some time, very excited, but before I had a chance to see it, a friend of mine - who had seen it - told me that the protagonist was delusional/had a split personality and that Nina wasn't real. I was really, really annoyed with being told this, but my friend claimed that you were supposed to know before seeing the movie. I don't recall hearing about that in the trailer though, so what, did I have the movie spoiled for me or was I supposed to know?

I'm not sure your friend was paying attention.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Toebone posted:

I'm not sure your friend was paying attention.

Why not?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

csidle posted:

Why not?

Whether or not it's the twist you make it out to be or the basic premise your friend made it out to be, he spoiled it for you in the way someone could spoil the last shot of Inception. Go see it for yourself and make your own conclusions. Also, there's so, so much more to enjoying Black Swan than that.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Because it doesn't make any sense.

Black Swan is still totally worth seeing though, even if it was pseudo-spoiled for you.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

csidle posted:

Why not?

Why would you want him to clear up wrong or at least misguided spoilers with accurate ones?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

LesterGroans posted:

Don't worry there's A LOT more to that movie. The reveal is actually really, really earlier in the film--much earlier than I expected. Do yourself a favour and see it.

Yes see it and then answer me this:

At what point is the clone played by Robin Chalk. I thought that it was all Sam Rockwell with split screens, and finding out Robin CHalk was in a lot of the movie made me confused as to which is which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I've seen the Black Swan already, you wouldn't be spoiling anything to me. I was disappointed to have been told before anyway, whether it's a big twist or not, because it was always on my mind.