Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Thanks DefMech and cubicle gangster, it was a 3D file but it crashed 3D Ripper DX, unfortunately. Either it's really not possible, or I just didn't manage to find the option anywhere online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Is it a confidential file? If not, I'd be happy to take a crack at it for you. Won't be able to report back until later this evening, at the earliest, though.

Unrelated, but here's a cool tool I ran across yesterday: http://pixexix.sophiehoulden.com/
Simple way of doing projection painting for your models. I know the functionality is similar in other more robust apps, Blender and 3DCoat have similar tools, but I usually like going with simpler programs that focus on one thing :)

DefMech fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 19, 2011

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
It was confidential, and on a tight time limit, so I already told them no. Thanks for the offer though, that's really nice of you.

That tool looks sweet!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Back at work after a 3 week vacation and I find this on my desk. Pity about the reviews ;)

Anyone got any swag other than t-shirts/hoodies recently? I think the last weird thing I got was a can of "Bruce Juice" for the Edward Norton hulk movie.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
My 'swag' consists of a marketing brochure from juremiah group and heron international, haha.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 19, 2011

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have various props on my desk that production has given me as modeling/texturing reference. The only vaguely interesting one is a bomb detonator-y thing from the latest jason statham masterpiece.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1448755/
They may come looking for it at some point but when the film gets released I'm considering it mine.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 20, 2011

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

We hardly ever get any swag. Sometimes the clients will send us a few copies of the game that we did cinematics for, but usually only about 5 copies. Other than that we have a few t-shirts sometimes and an unlimited supply of Goldfish that I hate.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I should probably add that the sword is internal studio swag. The bruce juice stuff was from production though. On District 9 we had full size aliens in house and some smaller marquettes which were cool, sadly production remembered about them at the end.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Don't do any work for anyone for free unless its a Mod, someone you know, an internship or test piece for an interview. (There are probably others).

Personally, I would remove "internship" from this unless it's a program specifically set up according to federal "non-paid internship" regulations.

mutata fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 20, 2011

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

Back at work after a 3 week vacation and I find this on my desk. Pity about the reviews ;)

Anyone got any swag other than t-shirts/hoodies recently? I think the last weird thing I got was a can of "Bruce Juice" for the Edward Norton hulk movie.

I thought Sucker Punch was pretty drat awful, but the VFX were top notch.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

concerned mom posted:

I thought Sucker Punch was pretty drat awful, but the VFX were top notch.

Cheers :) I haven't seen it yet, I missed the crew screening and need to get around to it. I worked on the Samurai fight sequence, there was much dust and debris... The one thing a VFX artist has no control over is the rest of the movie.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I was bored. :3:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I was bored. :3:

mmmmmmmmmmm Bokeh. Did you do it in post or in camera?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

I think I was talking about it in one of the games industry threads but besides my Autobot logo hoodie(:swoon:) we've been given tons of Transformers toys, various board games and Nerf guns by Hasbro ever since we got the TF MMO contract. It's pretty sweet, but I am still startled every so often by Nerf bullets whizzing past my head or bouncing off my monitors.

They also set us some Hersheys chocolate but we didn't have the heart to tell them it sucks :shobon:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Games industry sounds awesome

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007
I been lurking on and off for a while now and I realised its time I should probably post something. Anyway, i'm a 3rd year in Perth, but I only started 3d at the beginning of last year, so i'm still a relative noob. so hopefully I will start posting regularly now that im getting to a proper stage in my current project so i can get tips and hopefully it will motivate me to actaully do the work :).

So, this is what im working on atm. I've only been using Zbrush for less than a week, so I really have no idea what im doing. My project is a cinematic intro to a game that im creating for another class. Its about a retired alcoholic demon hunter who gets attacked by some thing after about 20 years of demons not being in the world. So basically the story of the cinematic is he gets ambushed in the back alley of a bar after stumbling out to throw up and kills it. Should be less than 2 mins.

My references for this guy are characters like bruce willis in Die Hard 4/Sin city, Max Payne 3 max payne etc, when The Comedian is old in The Watchmen etc. So at the moment im just trying to get used to Zbrush, and i've been trying to sculpt all the fabric of his clothes, and i've done a little bit on his hands. The head is horrible at the moment and some of the normals are facing the wrong way, so i was wondering if there is an easy way to like replace his head with a better base model, like the super average man or something.
Also my plan for this is to make normal maps to apply to the low poly in maya. I assume this is the best way to get the finished Zbrush character back to Maya, other than exporting a 1mil poly character back to Maya. but i havnt dont any normal mapping before and wouldnt have the foggiest how to go about it. Also im horrible at rigging, so im betting im gonna have lots of questions when I get to that.
also sorry if the images are too big.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
It looks like you went into higher subdivisions too early on. Men's tweed/twill trousers don't really wrinkle and fold that way, the folds are much more subtle and elongated and only bunch around the ankle since the fabric is very soft, rather thick and drapey:

The hip region of the trousers looks alright but the legs I would even completely redo. When men's trousers are tailored, they are cut to a length that drapes just over the shoes when worn, and they're always cut approximately an inch too long so they don't just float in the air above the feet. The inseam length of the trousers also fucks with my brain for some reason. It looks too short.

You're definitely on to something good here, it'd just benefit you most to work your model as far as possible in the lowest feasible subdivision to avoid the mushy look. It also seems to me that your facial symmetry has been mirrored at an awkward spot since the eyes seem just a little too close to each other and there's a distinguishable 'seam' in the middle of the head.

Hope this was any help :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

Games industry sounds awesome

Joooiiiiin ussssssss...

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007

Watchlar posted:

Hope this was any help :)

You are definitely right about the head. Thats why I want to start from a base mesh that actually works, instead of my own. But I dont know if its easy to just like, cut off his head and replace it with the a different/better one, especially inside zbrush I have no idea.

The pants i was trying to go for more of a chino kind of look rather than mens slacks. some thing more casual.

for example..my pants. But yeah, wrinkles are freakin hard to do. I dont think it matters hugely in the long run what style they are, cause I doubt you will pay attention.

but yeah, they do hover because I don't know how to move them down without the move tool interacting with the feet.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

websterandwebster posted:

You are definitely right about the head. Thats why I want to start from a base mesh that actually works, instead of my own. But I dont know if its easy to just like, cut off his head and replace it with the a different/better one, especially inside zbrush I have no idea.

The pants i was trying to go for more of a chino kind of look rather than mens slacks. some thing more casual.
for example..my pants. But yeah, wrinkles are freakin hard to do. I dont think it matters hugely in the long run what style they are, cause I doubt you will pay attention.

but yeah, they do hover because I don't know how to move them down without the move tool interacting with the feet.

People like me will pay attention ;) It's one of those things the brain notices that just seems off but you might not necessarily be able to pinpoint it. Uncanny valley can extend to more than just facial features. If that's the trouser look you're going for, then you could change the cut of the crotch area and make it more snugly fitting, less hanging mid-thigh. Right now the top part is cut exactly like classic dress trousers.

You could seriously consider modeling and sculpting the trousers, upper body, shoes and head as separate objects that you then bring into Max, attach them into one and do a retopology over the whole thing, making it a unified mesh. Since this is a game model you're making, you don't need to have the entire shoe in the mesh, you can only model it as far as it's visible under the trouser leg. I'll sketch up a few examples when I'm on coffee break if you'd like, I'm obsessive about modeling sweet clothes and want to help!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

I dont think it matters hugely in the long run what style they are, cause I doubt you will pay attention.

uh oh.

It always matters. Someone is always paying attention, and you'll get called out on this pretty much instantly if you're working. It's not a bad habit to get into early.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

But yeah, wrinkles are freakin hard to do. I dont think it matters hugely in the long run what style they are, cause I doubt you will pay attention.

If there's anything I've learned from this forum, it's that the program is very much so the least of your worries, and learning the actual anatomy that is the part you need to focus on most. Wrinkles are not very hard to sculpt at all once you learn the brush modifiers a little, it's getting them realistic and believable that's the hard part. And also, like cubicle gangster said, anybody who knows their poo poo is going to notice the wrinkle styles or their inconsistencies instantly. It honestly amazes me how many muscle groups and subtle features the good artists can pin point instantly as missing or disproportionate etc. So in conclusion, look at tons of reference and DONT just settle and skip over things that look different in your sculpt than the picture of what you're trying to emulate. Fix that poo poo early on.

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007
Lol, see, I have no idea. my lecturers are always like 'cut as many corners as you can!'. and i say you wouldnt pay attention cause you would hardly see much of his pants during the animation. only a couple of fleeting shots. But I do want more of the wrinkle look, because i think it goes with the wrinkly singlet, which will be all underneath a coat, which im trying to work on now.

I saw exactly what you meant about the crotch being too low, so i think that is a bit better. And yeah, it is really hard getting the wrinkles looking realistic which I kinda want to get to a certain level, but, I dont need to take it to the extremes.

The main thing i wanted to work on was his face, and get that looking half decent. and also i cant spend too much time on any one thing cause, you know, deadlines..

zbrush is pretty awesomely fun though.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
How long do you have to do this "cinematic" anyways? A 2 minute cinematic with one person working on it is either going to look like poo poo or not get finished (depending on how much time you have to work on it). You might want to cut it down shorter and be a bit more realistic about the goal. If you're instructed to cut as many corners as possible chances are this cinematic will do more bad for your game than good.

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007

ceebee posted:

How long do you have to do this "cinematic" anyways? A 2 minute cinematic with one person working on it is either going to look like poo poo or not get finished (depending on how much time you have to work on it). You might want to cut it down shorter and be a bit more realistic about the goal. If you're instructed to cut as many corners as possible chances are this cinematic will do more bad for your game than good.

I have another 6 weeksish. But i am using stuff from last semester, so the whole alley way is done. what I need to do is make the 2 characters (the guy and the monster) and animate them etc, and do a bit of VFX for his demonic ability, and thats mostly it.

And im not aiming for Blizzard cinematic quality, but I do want the best that is in my abilities. Also if I don't get it done, quite a few people are doing the same project for both semesters if they are too big, and they just have a mid point to hand in content for this project. But I hope I wont have to do that.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

I been lurking on and off for a while now and I realised its time I should probably post something. Anyway, i'm a 3rd year in Perth, but I only started 3d at the beginning of last year, so i'm still a relative noob. so hopefully I will start posting regularly now that im getting to a proper stage in my current project so i can get tips and hopefully it will motivate me to actaully do the work :).

So, this is what im working on atm. I've only been using Zbrush for less than a week, so I really have no idea what im doing. My project is a cinematic intro to a game that im creating for another class. Its about a retired alcoholic demon hunter who gets attacked by some thing after about 20 years of demons not being in the world. So basically the story of the cinematic is he gets ambushed in the back alley of a bar after stumbling out to throw up and kills it. Should be less than 2 mins.

My references for this guy are characters like bruce willis in Die Hard 4/Sin city, Max Payne 3 max payne etc, when The Comedian is old in The Watchmen etc. So at the moment im just trying to get used to Zbrush, and i've been trying to sculpt all the fabric of his clothes, and i've done a little bit on his hands. The head is horrible at the moment and some of the normals are facing the wrong way, so i was wondering if there is an easy way to like replace his head with a better base model, like the super average man or something.
Also my plan for this is to make normal maps to apply to the low poly in maya. I assume this is the best way to get the finished Zbrush character back to Maya, other than exporting a 1mil poly character back to Maya. but i havnt dont any normal mapping before and wouldnt have the foggiest how to go about it. Also im horrible at rigging, so im betting im gonna have lots of questions when I get to that.
also sorry if the images are too big.

Hey dude,
Good luck with your project. I ain't no 3D guru but maybe I can help with your head there. If I remember my head construction right it should be something like this:

Basically the eyes are too close together and too high up on the head, the nose is too high, the mouth is a little bit high. The top of the head is too flat. I can't really tell exactly but I'm getting a sense that the front of the head is not flat enough, as if it's wedge shaped (which is a problem I've recently encountered in my own modelling experiments). The ears are placed all right and should give you a good marker for where to put things. Top of ear = corner of eyebrow, bottom of ear = bottom of nose. This distance up = hair-line. Down = bottom of chin. Mid way through - mouth. Corner of mouth - center of eye. Etc. etc. etc.
I'd recommend checking out Loomis - "figure drawing for all it's worth" for some hearty tips and techniques for making heads. Also, Bridgman's "Constructive Anatomy for Artists"(iirc) is super awesome. Even so, I find that my own work is better when I reference from something rather than "construct" a figure.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
The weird little guy in the centre is just the blocked out version, and will eventually (hopefully) look like a person. Still need to texture as well.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spottedfeces posted:

The weird little guy in the centre is just the blocked out version, and will eventually (hopefully) look like a person. Still need to texture as well.

That's cool. I like the composition and it has an atmosphere to it

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007

Hellbeard posted:

lots of stuff wrong.

Lol, yeah I agree that his face is too pointy, but I made this head a while ago and i had front and side references of an actual person, so I think everything is in line (eyes, ears, nose etc.), I think he may be just looking upwards slightly, so everything looks off from the front?
But either way, I think im gonna work on a different head, and then connect them later, cause it is too much work on this one.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

mashed_penguin posted:

If it's any comfort, Zack Snyder is a hack, but the action scenes were fan-loving-tastic. The samurai warrior scene and the Trenches section were easily the best of the film :)

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
The train sequence was nice as well, loved how it was just one uninterrupted sweeping shot with no cuts. I imagine that was a hell of a job.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
For the first time in forever, UV unwrapping in Maya was much less of a headache than using UVmaster. Using an auto projection for the shirt worked out nicely and was really really easy; which was an unexpected gem today. The seam ended up being on the bottom of the bust too! Anyway, I'm hoping to bring him back into Maya and give him a coat of paint on his face to complete his look of being a mime rather than a confused frenchmen. Also, I decided to take the plunge and do the Art School thing, with the focus on character artistry and hopefully stop-motion. Is that something a lot of you did, or are you mostly self-taught hobbyists that happen to be really really talented?

SVU Fan fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 22, 2011

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm self taught, though I did a one year course which gave me time to do a short film if not much else. I would recommend going to school for 3d stuff if there's a reputable one that you can go too. I want to quit my job and go do an art course.

The mime guy is looking cool, it has character, you should try and give him eyelids though. They will go a long way when conveying emotions.

I've done some more work on this guy.
The beanie is sitches arrayed and formed onto the head.
Needs slightly more reflection into the eyes

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

EoinCannon posted:

That looks so realistic it's eerie. I know how much of an overplayed meme the "uncanny valley" thing is, but that definitely comes to mind.

The only hint that it's not a real person, to my eye, is something about the eyeballs. They make the eyes look not-quite-alive, somehow, which probably contributes to the eeriness. I wish I could pinpoint it more effectively than that.

Incredible work, though.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

I'm self taught, though I did a one year course which gave me time to do a short film if not much else. I would recommend going to school for 3d stuff if there's a reputable one that you can go too. I want to quit my job and go do an art course.

The mime guy is looking cool, it has character, you should try and give him eyelids though. They will go a long way when conveying emotions.

This looks chillingly much like someone I know. I love what you did with the beanie, would you mind sharing how you made it?

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007
that is pretty awesome. wool looks perfect, but its probably just me, but it looks kinda funny on his forehead area, like at the very edge of it. I dunno, the shadow might be funny or something. But the texture of it is pretty great.
Also all I think of when I look at that is hes an eagles fan. And I dont even really follow the footy.
Should chuck a pom pom on the top of that beanie and be done with it :)

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

EoinCannon, that's so good it feels like a crime to criticize anything about it. I agree there's something wrong about the eyes. I think it's that the eyelids (upper and lower) are too thin and look kind of flimsy. I've seen people with almost such eyelids, so I'm not sure why it feels off here.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Watchlar posted:

I love what you did with the beanie, would you mind sharing how you made it?

Would also like to know how you did the Beanie mang, great work Eoin :D

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EoinCannon posted:

Absolutely fantastic man. You should (pleeease) post a step-by-step tutorial so I can steal your identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I think one other thing that makes it look a little more like a model of a person than an actual person is that it looks a little too shiny. I think if you very slightly reduced the overall specularity of the skin it could help it look a bit more real. Not that it's not above and beyond what I'm capable of! It's excellent!