Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pwnstar posted:

Ok so I played the first New Vegas Bounties quest mod thing. It's pretty cool for a mod, decent voice acting and fun battles. I was hella pumped to play the second one...

What the gently caress was this dude smoking Jesus this is the stupidest thing ever arrrgh. Not a fan.

What's wrong with it (I haven't personally played it)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What's wrong with it (I haven't personally played it)?

I haven't gotten very far in nvb2 but I like it more so far. Harder battles, less OP loot, bigger locations, and better dialogue. I'm curious what he doesn't like as well.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Hoodrich posted:

I haven't gotten very far in nvb2 but I like it more so far. Harder battles, less OP loot, bigger locations, and better dialogue. I'm curious what he doesn't like as well.
NVB2 also broke the living poo poo out of the kitchen area of the Ultraluxe for me.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

ZombyDog posted:

NVB2 also broke the living poo poo out of the kitchen area of the Ultraluxe for me.

Yes. I was pretty far in both quests and I lost all my NVB2 progress because I had to uninstall it to get the Ultraluxe done. I'll probably finish it some day but that was lame.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You get a bounty and go to a place. You talk to a guy and you decide to fight. 5-10 of his friends teleport behind you and unload with LMGs. This is every single time btw.

The main quest is to find basically the ultimate badass raider. You kill a bunch of his friends and follow a trail to some secret base where you fight literally about a hundred dudes in body armour in an endless wave. You pick up the trail for the baddest dude. You fight through 3-4 more ambushes. You find an underground Cthulhu worshiping cult for some reason. Eventually you kill/catch the big baddy. PS theres about 3 more dudes way worse than him. Muahahaha *kills self*

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pwnstar posted:

You get a bounty and go to a place. You talk to a guy and you decide to fight. 5-10 of his friends teleport behind you and unload with LMGs. This is every single time btw.

The main quest is to find basically the ultimate badass raider. You kill a bunch of his friends and follow a trail to some secret base where you fight literally about a hundred dudes in body armour in an endless wave. You pick up the trail for the baddest dude. You fight through 3-4 more ambushes. You find an underground Cthulhu worshiping cult for some reason. Eventually you kill/catch the big baddy. PS theres about 3 more dudes way worse than him. Muahahaha *kills self*

Hm...that seems to be one of my biggest gripes when it comes to modding. I'm very much a believer in "less is more." I'd rather find a way to make two or three dudes dangerous than throw twenty nobodies at you.

Kind of off subject, but the original Mafia game pretty much nailed it in this subject. Firefights were tense ordeals, and often times it was just a couple of gunmen armed with pistols (or a shotgun) in a diner. Obviously it might be difficult to achieve the same effect in Fallout, but the game doesn't lend itself to the exact opposite, either.

EDIT: Now I'm wishing Fallout 3 / NV had the same melee targeting system that Fallout 1 and 2 had. There's something magical about assessing your situation and realizing the best solution is to strike first by poking eyeballs and punching dicks. Actually, why the gently caress didn't melee targeting get implemented into the game? Think of how much more fun a melee build would have been!

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 18, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Actually, why the gently caress didn't melee targeting get implemented into the game?
Almost certainly because of the difficulty in matching attack animations to target body parts in the host of situations which would arise.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Police Automaton posted:

The problem with mods like this is that they usually kill balancing, either by giving retarded loot or make enemies silly bullet sponges with 9999999 HP.
Thus far it looks like the added monster mod commits to the latter, at least if you're running as a relatively low-level character. I just beat the simple "clear out the ants" quest for Ranger Jackson at Mojave outpost and roughly 3/4 of the giant ants had been replaced with larger, nastier red versions, which had to be dealt with by kiting, because my plasma pistol and lever-action shotgun (itself sorta-cheesed in by that big dungeon-adding mod) were plinking away their health at a pace of roughly one dot increment per two shots.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS
I switched from MTUI to Darnified just now and like, I followed all the instructions to uninstall MTUI correctly, so far as I can tell. But now all the in-game text seems several sizes too large; Quit at the main menu is partially cut off, for whatever reason I can't scroll down when setting controls, HP/CND/ammo counter on the HUD are so huge as to break out of the HUD itself, nothing in a selection box seems even remotely centered and leveling up is a nightmare of overlapping text.

What the hell do I do to make my in game text not awful?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Weremacht posted:

I switched from MTUI to Darnified just now and like, I followed all the instructions to uninstall MTUI correctly, so far as I can tell. But now all the in-game text seems several sizes too large; Quit at the main menu is partially cut off, for whatever reason I can't scroll down when setting controls, HP/CND/ammo counter on the HUD are so huge as to break out of the HUD itself, nothing in a selection box seems even remotely centered and leveling up is a nightmare of overlapping text.

DUI requires that you makes some .ini tweaks.

Bethesda topic on DUI posted:

1. Edit the ini like so:

[Fonts]
;sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt
;sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_16.fnt
sFontFile_3=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt
;sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_VeryLarge02_Dialogs2.fnt
sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fnt
sFontFile_5=Textures\Fonts\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt
;sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\Baked-in_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fnt
sFontFile_8=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt
sFontFile_9=Textures\Fonts\NVFont_Test.fnt

Just replace the entire fonts section with this. The lines starting with a semi-colon are commented-out default entries.

If using the launcher, edit Fallout_default.ini in the game dir to get these settings to stick. The launcher resets the ini to the values from this file. Backup the original first.
If you're bypassing the launcher, you can edit Fallout.ini directly: "My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Fallout.ini". Backup the original first.
If neither method works, try editing My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\FalloutPrefs.ini instead. This seems to work for some people.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Weremacht posted:

Go over Darnified's readme and make sure you make the appropriate changes to the fonts in your ini files.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS
jesus christ how did i miss that entire section

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I gathered a ton of mods, but I'm a bit torn on whether I should go with WME or WMX. Which do you guys recommend?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
I went with WMX but I'm told that WME is the better one of the two, so I recommend that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think WMX is better, but they both do pretty much the same thing.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

thepopstalinist posted:

Thus far it looks like the added monster mod commits to the latter, at least if you're running as a relatively low-level character. I just beat the simple "clear out the ants" quest for Ranger Jackson at Mojave outpost and roughly 3/4 of the giant ants had been replaced with larger, nastier red versions, which had to be dealt with by kiting, because my plasma pistol and lever-action shotgun (itself sorta-cheesed in by that big dungeon-adding mod) were plinking away their health at a pace of roughly one dot increment per two shots.

The thing about the monster mod seems to be that the creatures added by it aren't leveled, so they'll always spawn at a static amount of hitpoints and potentially confound your ability to kill them.

I'm probably going to rebalance most creatures' hp myself before I play extensively with it, since some mobs really have been made to be bullet sponges needlessly.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 18, 2011

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I'm a fan of WMX just for the modern weapons, specifically the modded up WA 2000.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah WMX is better in my opinion, but the difference between the two is negligible. Just pick whichever one you think has the best patches. I use WMX because of its WMX-AWOP crossover patch.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I'm getting some weird blur sections over parts of my UI. For example, when moused over a friendly all subtitle text blurs, or when in the tab interface roughly half of the screen will be blurred. Halp :(

Safety Hammer
Sep 14, 2007

Murodese posted:

I'm getting some weird blur sections over parts of my UI. For example, when moused over a friendly all subtitle text blurs, or when in the tab interface roughly half of the screen will be blurred. Halp :(

I'd suspect you're using some kind of depth of field mod? That's most likely what's causing it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Alright, I think I'm gonna go with WMX. Thanks for the help. :)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

SheepNameKiller posted:

I'm probably going to rebalance most creatures' hp myself before I play extensively with it, since some mobs really have been made to be bullet sponges needlessly.
If you've got a means of sharing those tweaks, I'd really love to have them! I don't mind challenge but I don't want to run in terror from anthills (I'm not sure how extensive the challenge breaking is, the reskinned ants are beasts but the reskinned ghouls seem normal).

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
After being a little dissapointed by the otherweise great realistic weapon damage mod (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35335) which turned my newly aquired power armor into not much more effective than the average stormtrooper armor, I installed Anime Schoolgirls alternate armor system, although he seems to be not happy with it himself. I really like what I've gotten by combining these two mods. Power Armor get's it's glory from FO1+2 days back (it felt very metal having NCR soldiers plink away with their AK-74s, almost doing nothing except damaging the armor) the other heavier armors protect at least somewhat and medium and light armor still makes pretty much every harder hit deadly. (especially to the head)

It might not be awesomely balanced from an RPG standpoint and it might make some armor types completly or nearly worthless, but so far I like what I see. It just "feels" right, if not necessarily greatly balanced. When it comes to the realm of guns, I think a lot of RPG rules from more traditional RPG-Systems break logic a little.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Police Automaton posted:

After being a little dissapointed by the otherweise great realistic weapon damage mod (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35335) which turned my newly aquired power armor into not much more effective than the average stormtrooper armor, I installed Anime Schoolgirls alternate armor system, although he seems to be not happy with it himself. I really like what I've gotten by combining these two mods. Power Armor get's it's glory from FO1+2 days back (it felt very metal having NCR soldiers plink away with their AK-74s, almost doing nothing except damaging the armor) the other heavier armors protect at least somewhat and medium and light armor still makes pretty much every harder hit deadly. (especially to the head)

It might not be awesomely balanced from an RPG standpoint and it might make some armor types completly or nearly worthless, but so far I like what I see. It just "feels" right, if not necessarily greatly balanced. When it comes to the realm of guns, I think a lot of RPG rules from more traditional RPG-Systems break logic a little.

AAS in combination with The Armory is really satisfying. Between the actualy gun balancing, the leveled lists, and AAS armor balancing everything just feels better.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZombyDog posted:

So THAT was my problem.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Does anyone have the Anthony Lings Couiffure mod for Fallout 3? It's necessary for the New Vegas version, but for whatever reason he made the Fallout 3 one hidden.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
New Vegas redesigned in the OP is set hidden by the owner for some reason. Is there an alternative or am I stuck with gross melty people in my game?

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Heti posted:

New Vegas redesigned in the OP is set hidden by the owner for some reason. Is there an alternative or am I stuck with gross melty people in my game?

NPC Cosmetic Fixes

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39325

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

You can also still get the original NVR on French websites, like the one below:

http://www.jeuxvideopc.com/download...l-update-15.php

Telecharger = Download

I'm not sure why NVR was taken off the nexus but I'm relatively sure that it will never return, it has been hidden for at least 3 months at this point.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
thanks guys

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cardboard Box posted:

Does anyone have the Anthony Lings Couiffure mod for Fallout 3? It's necessary for the New Vegas version, but for whatever reason he made the Fallout 3 one hidden.

Same problem here. I can't seem to find any alternate downloads on google either, unlike the NVR stuff.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

thepopstalinist posted:

If you've got a means of sharing those tweaks, I'd really love to have them! I don't mind challenge but I don't want to run in terror from anthills (I'm not sure how extensive the challenge breaking is, the reskinned ants are beasts but the reskinned ghouls seem normal).

I will post it up here whenever I finish it, I have to warn you though that I'm waiting for the mod author to settle down with the updates before I really crack into it. As is he's adding new monsters on a daily basis and I'd have a hard time keeping the patch up to date.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

I made a FOMOD of it along with the New Vegas version, just install with FOMM and you're good to go. Here it is, once my Dropbox finishes syncing.
Edit: It should be done syncing now, so the link ought to work.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 19, 2011

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Woebin posted:

I made a FOMOD of it along with the New Vegas version, just install with FOMM and you're good to go. Here it is, once my Dropbox finishes syncing.
Edit: It should be done syncing now, so the link ought to work.

Awesome, thanks. :)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I just finished up Dead Money and I'd like some things to shoot with the shitload of ammo I made using the shitload of .357 it gave me. I kinda remember a couple mods recently, one that added more creatures and one that added lots more humans kicking around, but damned if I can find either :(

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Capn Beeb posted:

I just finished up Dead Money and I'd like some things to shoot with the shitload of ammo I made using the shitload of .357 it gave me. I kinda remember a couple mods recently, one that added more creatures and one that added lots more humans kicking around, but damned if I can find either :(

Warzones is apparently good but like many people running it causes me to crash so I don't.

Increased Wasteland Spawns is where it's at. Also, Wasteland Defense and Real Time Settler will let you defend from all kinds of raids and poo poo.

Have you checked out New Vegas Bounties? Roll up on fools ten milla killa all day and cut off dey fangers.

edit:

:cool:

BrainGlitch fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 19, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Holy hell, I just started the iron sighting testing/fixing myself last night and man, you guys need to yell and scream at me more often. Some of them are pretty bad, even if they're in the same general area.

Honestly, you won't hurt my feelings - if you use/like a gun from the pack and something's clearly off, lemme know. I spend most of my time working on the pack and hardly any of it actually using it so I'm relying on you guys to tell me a lot of this stuff - especially the weapons from the very first release.

We all want the same result in the end - a nice, modular high quality weapons pack, but I can't do it alone :)

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Naky posted:

Holy hell, I just started the iron sighting testing/fixing myself last night and man, you guys need to yell and scream at me more often. Some of them are pretty bad, even if they're in the same general area.

Honestly, you won't hurt my feelings - if you use/like a gun from the pack and something's clearly off, lemme know. I spend most of my time working on the pack and hardly any of it actually using it so I'm relying on you guys to tell me a lot of this stuff - especially the weapons from the very first release.

We all want the same result in the end - a nice, modular high quality weapons pack, but I can't do it alone :)

While I haven't been testing the iron sights in particular, I have been using The Armory (loving it, by the way) since you first released it and I haven't noticed any iron sights issues. When I'm plugging 12 rounds into a Legionnaire's face, I don't notice if the bullet actually fires 3 pixels under the tip of the ironsight. I think you might be overanalyzing a bit, honestly. I remember when I did modelling and texturing for Morrowind, and I'd flip out over a clipping seam or whatever, only to find out that no one had any idea of what I was talking about.

Long story short: we all loving love your work man :) Don't worry about it, if you haven't gotten a report about it, it's probably because we honestly didn't notice. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Haha, if only they were that off :) What I'm talking about is that quite a few of the guns in the As and Bs are like... super off. Like front sights not even visible from rear sights, or it's all messed up because it's slightly rotated too much, etc. The M1014 in particular was terrible. That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to eliminate in general and never noticed as I was porting them all. I'm fixing them as I go so hopefully the 2.0 will have everyone happy. Including me. And I'm impossible to please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Naky posted:

Haha, if only they were that off :) What I'm talking about is that quite a few of the guns in the As and Bs are like... super off. Like front sights not even visible from rear sights, or it's all messed up because it's slightly rotated too much, etc. The M1014 in particular was terrible. That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to eliminate in general and never noticed as I was porting them all. I'm fixing them as I go so hopefully the 2.0 will have everyone happy. Including me. And I'm impossible to please.

Huh. I can honestly say I didn't notice.