Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
I feel like its been a good solid week of not complaining about my job and that needs to change. This is my last week of freedom before our next "lockdown" - which is the term affectionately used to describe a deal closing in my department because you never leave the office. Lockdown is scheduled to last 3 weeks but everyone is sure the deal will actually take longer. I am so excited to go back to my work schedule of 8:30 am - 1 am!

And my reward once it's all over? A "Law Firm Prom" on the Saturday of my birthday weekend that I have already been told by a partner is mandatory to go to. Sure - in between working all those hours, I will happily find time to waste $300 on a floor length gown. And I'm sure the guy I'm casually seeing will still be around after my 3 week lockdown and would love to rent a tux and be my date for a prom I can't even get completely hammered at. Wouldn't it have been awesome if instead of Law Firm Prom, we got spring bonuses? No, of course not, that would have been terrible.

There is nothing good about my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hippokleides posted:

you two go well together :3:

Ahaha, did you do this?
Awesome.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Kase Im Licht posted:

Maybe an exception for people carrying large things or hot chicks.

Why would people be carrying hot chicks?

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

HooKars posted:

And my reward once it's all over? A "Law Firm Prom" on the Saturday of my birthday weekend that I have already been told by a partner is mandatory to go to.

Oh this is the episode in every legal television show where you gently caress your most prestigious co-worker, sow discord among your rivals, and learn the shocking truth about one of your partners. Or it will be if you remember to take your hip flask with you.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Petey posted:

i myself make it a point to just hold doors open, sometimes for hours on end, until hot chicks walk through just to capitalize on this

read more! at my blog! ladder theory v2 - the doorman method

Oh Petey, look at your avatar. What did you do, who did you upset? Have all your intelligent arguments come from trolling Second Life? :ohdear:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

blar posted:

Oh this is the episode in every legal television show where you gently caress your most prestigious co-worker, sow discord among your rivals, and learn the shocking truth about one of your partners. Or it will be if you remember to take your hip flask with you.

"It's prom, dude!"

*harasses NFL QB on twitter*

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
With a payment today I am officially pretty much approximately halfway through my loans. :cool:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
One of my fellow 3Ls has a question about tax LLMs. Like most of our class, his job prospects are not so hot right now. He fell in love with tax while in law school and is seriously considering getting a tax LLM.

I told him what little I know - basically that you should only go to NYU, Georgetown or Florida (if at all possible). He had a couple questions that I had no idea about, so I figured I'd ask here (I know we have at least one tax LLM in the audience):

1. Realistically, will a tax LLM even help him? He is graduting in top 1/3 or 1/4 of his class at Lewis & Clark (ranked mid-60s), managing editor on law review, and A/A- in tax classes taken. He has no illusions about where he is, and doesn't want to just throw more money down the hole if it won't change anything. Will a tax LLM help at all on top of those law school stats?

2. How strict is the "go to NYU/Georgetown/Florida or die" mantra? Does ranking matter as much in the world of tax LLMs as it does in the world of law schools generally? Or is one or two outside the "top" (whatever the hell that would be) still worth something?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

incogneato posted:

1. Realistically, will a tax LLM even help him? He is graduting in top 1/3 or 1/4 of his class at Lewis & Clark (ranked mid-60s), managing editor on law review, and A/A- in tax classes taken. He has no illusions about where he is, and doesn't want to just throw more money down the hole if it won't change anything. Will a tax LLM help at all on top of those law school stats?

2. How strict is the "go to NYU/Georgetown/Florida or die" mantra? Does ranking matter as much in the world of tax LLMs as it does in the world of law schools generally? Or is one or two outside the "top" (whatever the hell that would be) still worth something?

1. Before the last few years he was the prototypical person that a tax LLM would help and is pretty much the exact profile of the type of person getting an NYU LLM (don't know the others.) That might not be the case now; I'm pretty sure the recession completely destroyed those OCIs. But with NY BIGLAW recovering I think it's worth a shot.

2. I'm not even sure Florida should be on that list, tbh. Regardless, all other LLMs seem equally terrible if you went to a US law school.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Lilosh posted:

Why would people be carrying hot chicks?

...what is the point of being ripped if you don't walk around carrying hot chicks?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Freaking John Bolton is coming here and I don't know how to react.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

billion dollar bitch posted:

Grow a mustache!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Adar posted:

1. Before the last few years he was the prototypical person that a tax LLM would help and is pretty much the exact profile of the type of person getting an NYU LLM (don't know the others.) That might not be the case now; I'm pretty sure the recession completely destroyed those OCIs. But with NY BIGLAW recovering I think it's worth a shot.

2. I'm not even sure Florida should be on that list, tbh. Regardless, all other LLMs seem equally terrible if you went to a US law school.

Thanks for the response. I think that's about what he's expecting. A big downside is that it's apparently too late for this round of applications (so he says, I haven't looked at all), which means finding something to do for a year.

I only listed Florida because it has been in the OP for ages.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Make him a cake of the UN with the top 10 floors edible

Put poison in the cake

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Oh and by the way I am ironically stuffing the ballot box of a student election because I think it's funny so I need everyone to vote down the SUBMISSIVE KOREAN GIRLS and vote up the guy named Richard Lee.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6ZZLL8P

(Full disclosure: I am not Richard Lee)

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

I need everyone to vote down the SUBMISSIVE KOREAN GIRLS and vote up the guy named Richard Lee.

Only if you can explain the irony.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Oh and by the way I am ironically stuffing the ballot box of a student election because I think it's funny so I need everyone to vote down the SUBMISSIVE KOREAN GIRLS and vote up the guy named Richard Lee.

If your ethics review board contacts the thread and asks if you engaged in election tampering, I'm tellin'. Also voted for our young Mr. Lee.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Wyatt posted:

Only if you can explain the irony.

He would be very proud of himself if he won the election but absent outside assistance will probably come in last. So I think it would be funny if he did win, and then thought he was awesome for doing so, when really it's not like that at all.

Also it's customary for 3Ls to not be on boards because you're moving aside for the class below you, but he wouldn't be doing that if he won. So it'd be even more awkward.

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 18, 2011

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Voted for Richard Lee because I had the most FB friends in common with him.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
How many were Korean girls?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
If you folks manage to come up with some pig's blood, I bet Chris Hargensen will totally put out for you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I enjoy a good ballot-stuffing.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Honor code violation.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Green Crayons posted:

Honor code violation.

Have you read their honor code? Maybe this is legal? I mean, they did use an open survey.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I don't recall an honor code at Columbia. If there is, there are plenty of columbia students who are eligible to vote in that election in this thread.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Now that I've voted, tell me more about these Korean girls...

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Daico posted:

Have you read their honor code? Maybe this is legal? I mean, they did use an open survey.
It would probably be an honor code for my school for me to assist in the ballet stuffing of another school's election.

:tinfoil:

Also, I just did a one minute Google search and didn't see any Columbia Law Honor Code. Columbia Law doesn't have a honor code.

Anarchists. (I'm guessing the undergrad applies?)

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

wacko_- posted:

Now that I've voted, tell me more about these Korean girls...

Speaking from personal experience I can say Columbia law has the best Korean girl.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
We have an honor code but this isn't covered because 1) it's stupid and really isn't related to academics at all, which is what the honor code focuses on 2) student organizations are largely self-regulating (and apparently the way they've decided to do this is to have an open, anonymous poll).

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 19, 2011

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

The Vault posted:

Got a Man? You Might Need One, Female Lawyers

So you’ve received all kinds of career advice and support from your mentor, but you’re still not reaching the top? According to Catalyst—a nonprofit organization focusing on women in the workplace—the missing link to your career success may be sponsorship. At this week’s Women’s Leadership Conference hosted by the Conference Board in New York City, Jan Combopiano and Michael Chamberlain of Catalyst addressed the issue in a presentation titled Sponsorship: Is it a Prerequisite to Drive Career Advancement? The short answer to that question is yes, and men are reaping the career benefits of sponsorship, while women are often left sponsor-less.

So what should companies and leaders do to ensure that sponsorship crosses gender lines? Check out these five lessons from Ms. Combopiano and Mr. Chamberlain’s session.

4. Men Are an Important Part of the Conversation

Speaking of men, they are critical to growing sponsorship of women. “Men are very important to women’s advancement,” says Ms. Combopiano. "It’s about leadership, and it’s about men being part of the solution,” she says. Most high-level positions are held by men; therefore, they form the majority of the sponsor pool. “If we’re gonna make change, we really need to engage those men at the top," says Ms. Combopiano.

And the title of the e-mail from them read "Lady Lawyers, You Need Men"

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

quote:

Employee Fellow, Digital Media Law Project

Duties & Responsibilities

Reports to the Director of the Berkman Center’s Digital Media Law Project and works in conjunction with the Clinical Professor/Director of the Cyberlaw Clinic.

The fellow’s primary substantive responsibility will be to assist with the operation and expansion of the project’s Online Media Legal Network as a component of this broad-based research project. The fellow will screen new cases and clients and maintain existing relationships with clients and members of the project’s pro bono network.

The fellow may provide legal assistance, in collaboration with lawyers and law students in Harvard Law School’s Cyberlaw Clinic, to individuals and organizations that operate online and digital media ventures. Particular emphasis will be placed on recognizing the complex interactions between the business, technological, and legal aspects of clients’ needs.

The fellow also may assist in the supervision and mentoring of clinical students working on transactional, litigation, and counseling projects. The fellow may have the opportunity to engage in oral and written advocacy on behalf of clients, including opportunities to draft amicus briefs in cases involving significant First Amendment, intellectual property, and media law issues.

The fellow will have many opportunities to expand his/her knowledge of technology and law, including frequent interactions with other fellows at the Berkman Center and throughout Harvard University. The position is a great opportunity for experienced media, IP, or business law practitioners who want to serve the public interest or transition to academic pursuits.

While this position is full-time, the fellow will have the opportunity to spend a limited amount of time pursuing his/her own related academic research interests and will be provided access to Harvard’s extensive library system.

This is a fellowship position with an end date of June 30, 2012. Continuation is contingent on business needs and project funding. This opportunity is intended for an individual who wishes to further his/her own scholarship while also benefiting the work at the Center.

The annual salary is $48,000, plus health and other benefits.

Basic Qualifications

Candidates must have a Juris Doctor degree with admission to and active status in at least one state bar and eligibility for admission on motion to the Massachusetts bar. A minimum of 3 years legal-practice experience with significant Internet, intellectual property, or media law background is required.

Additional Qualifications

Expertise in the areas of transactional law and non-profit advising is preferred. Previous experience in a clinical legal setting or the direct supervision and mentoring of young attorneys also is advantageous. Candidates should be energetic and passionate about working on journalism, online speech, intellectual property, and cyberlaw issues. Top academic credentials, superior writing and verbal skills, sound judgment, exceptional ethical standards, and proven abilities in interpersonal communication, supervision, and team building are required.

About the Digital Media Law Project

The Digital Media Law Project (DMLP) works to ensure that individuals and organizations involved in online journalism and digital media have access to the legal resources, education, and help that they need to thrive. The DMLP, which began operations as the “Citizen Media Law Project” in May 2007, focuses its work on three broad areas: legal education and training; litigation and pro bono legal services; and the collection and analysis of legal threats facing online speakers and publishers. For more information on the DMLP, visit: http://www.dmlp.org/.

About the Berkman Center for Internet & Society

The Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University is a research program founded to explore cyberspace, share in its study, and help pioneer its development. Founded in 1997, through a generous gift from Jack N. and Lillian R. Berkman, the Center is home to an ever-growing community of faculty, fellows, staff, and affiliates working on projects that span the broad range of intersections between cyberspace, technology, and society. More information can be found at http://cyber.law.harvard.edu.

Commitment to Diversity

The work and well-being of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University are strengthened profoundly by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We actively seek and welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQ community, and persons with disabilities, as well as applications from researchers and practitioners from across the spectrum of disciplines and methods. The roots of this deep commitment are many and, appropriately, diverse. We are not nearly far enough along in this regard, and we may never be. It is a constant process in which there remains much to learn. We welcome your inquiries, comments and ideas on how we may continue to improve.

---

What is the Berkman Center for Internet & Society?

The Berkman Center for Internet & Society is a research center founded at Harvard Law School in 1997. Now a university-wide center, it serves as the locus for a network of Harvard and other faculty, students, fellows, lawyers, entrepreneurs, and others working to identify and engage with the challenges and opportunities presented by the Internet. The Center is devoted to research and teaching on issues at the intersection of emerging technologies, law, public policy, industry, and education and to the development of dynamic approaches and rigorous scholarship that can affect and support the public interest.

The Berkman Center has been at the forefront of efforts to study and facilitate online expression, including, among other initiatives: publishing Media Re:public, a series of papers exploring the potential and the challenges of the emerging networked digital media environment; launching Global Voices Online, a nonprofit that aggregates and disseminates the views expressed in blogs throughout the world; and hosting the Blogging, Journalism, and Credibility Conference, which brought together professional journalists, bloggers, news executives, media scholars, and lawyers to study the emerging media environment on the Internet.

What does the Digital Media Law Project do?

The Digital Media Law Project (DMLP) works to ensure that individuals and organizations involved in online journalism and digital media have access to the legal resources, education, and help that they need to thrive. The DMLP, which began operations as the “Citizen Media Law Project” in May 2007, focuses its work on three broad areas: legal education and training; litigation and pro bono legal services; and the collection and analysis of legal threats facing online speakers and publishers. The DMLP endeavors to serve as a catalyst for creative thinking about the intersection of law and journalism on the Internet. Through the project’s website, https://www.dmlp.org the active engagement of lawyers and scholars, and occasional sponsored conferences, project staff are working to build a community of lawyers, academics, and others who are interested in supporting innovative journalism ventures and protecting the legal rights of those engaged in speech on the Internet.

A central aim of the DMLP is to provide practical knowledge and legal assistance for online media. This includes providing pro bono legal assistance to new journalism ventures and other independent online publishers on a diverse range of topics, including business formation and governance, copyright licensing and fair use, employment and freelancer agreements, pre-publication review of content, and representation in litigation. In January 2010, DMLP launched a pro bono legal referral network called the a Online Media Legal Network comprised of law school clinics, in-house legal counsel, and individual lawyers across the United States who provide free and low-cost legal assistance to online journalism ventures and other digital media creators.

DMLP also has filed and participated in amicus curiae (friend of the court) briefs in cases raising important First Amendment and intellectual property issues, including:

Maxon v. Ottawa Publ'g Co., No. 2008-MR-125 (Ill. App. Ct. Mar. 24, 2009). We submitted a brief urging an Illinois appellate court to protect the rights of anonymous Internet speakers by imposing important procedural safeguards before ordering disclosure of their identities.

Barnes v. Yahoo! Inc., No. 05-36189 (9th Cir. May 21, 2009). We joined Public Citizen, the Center for Democracy and Technology, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation in asking the court to amend its opinion to omit dicta indicating that Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act cannot be raised on a motion to dismiss, as well as to clarify that Section 230 applies to federal as well as state law claims.

The Mortgage Specialists, Inc. v. Implode-Explode Heavy Industries, Inc., No. 2009-0262 (N.H. June 22, 2009). We joined forces with the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press to submit a brief urging the New Hampshire Supreme Court to defend the First Amendment rights of a website that covers news about the mortgage industry and to apply New Hampshire's qualified reporter's privilege to online news publishers.

Fustolo v. Hollander, No. SJC-10485 (Mass. Oct. 1, 2009). We joined the ACLU of Massachusetts and the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law of the Boston Bar Association in submitting a brief arguing that the Massachusetts anti-SLAPP statute applies to all parties who engage in petitioning activities, including members of the news media and paid staff of advocacy organizations.

Wright Development Group LLC v. Walsh, No. 08-2783 (Ill. Mar. 3, 2010). We submitted a brief to the Illinois Supreme Court urging the court to reject two lower courts’ narrow interpretations of the state’s Anti-SLAPP statute, known as the Citizen Participation Act.

Barclays Capital Inc. v. Theflyonthewall.com, Inc., 10-1372-CV (2d Cir. June 21, 2010). We joined EFF and Public Citizen to submit a brief to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals urging the court to apply First Amendment scrutiny to the “hot news misappropriation” doctrine.

What will the Employee Fellow do?

The Employee Fellow will serve as a staff attorney for Digital Media Law Project. The Fellow’s primary substantive responsibility will be to assist with the operation and expansion of the project’s Online Media Legal Network. The Fellow will screen new cases and clients and maintain existing relationships with clients and members of the project’s pro bono network.The Fellow may provide legal assistance, in collaboration with lawyers and law students in Harvard Law School’s Cyberlaw Clinic, to individuals and organizations that operate online and digital media ventures. Particular emphasis will be placed on recognizing the complex interactions between the business, technological, and legal aspects of clients’ needs. The Fellow also may assist in the supervision and mentoring of clinical students working on transactional, litigation, and counseling projects.

The Fellow may have the opportunity to engage in oral and written advocacy on behalf of clients, including opportunities to draft amicus briefs in cases involving significant First Amendment, intellectual property, and media law issues.

The Fellow will have many opportunities to expand his/her knowledge of technology and law, including frequent interactions with other fellows at the Berkman Center and throughout Harvard University. The position is a great opportunity for experienced media, IP, or business law practitioners who want to serve the public interest, transition to academic pursuits, or simply work in an intellectually invigorating environment.
While this position is full-time, the Fellow will have the opportunity to spend a limited amount of time pursuing his/her own related academic research interests and will be provided access to Harvard’s extensive library system.

This is a fellowship position for one year with a salary of $48,000, plus health and other benefits; continuation is contingent on business needs and project funding.

What qualifications are necessary?

Candidates must have a Juris Doctor degree with admission to and active status in at least one state bar and eligibility for admission on motion to the Massachusetts bar. A minimum of 3 years legal-practice experience with significant Internet, intellectual property, or media law background is required. Expertise in the areas of transactional law and non-profit advising is preferred. Previous experience in a clinical legal setting or the direct supervision and mentoring of young attorneys also is advantageous.

Candidates should be energetic and passionate about working on journalism, online speech, intellectual property, and cyberlaw issues. Top academic credentials, superior writing and verbal skills, sound judgment, exceptional ethical standards, and proven abilities in interpersonal communication, supervision, and team building are required.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/as...269_5341&gqid=0

Feel free to send around.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

What'd you do to get that new title?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

zzyzx posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3405944 apparently

(second time I've been given it - first time said "America sucks! I bitch about politics! Please hit me in the penis with a claw hammer, LF regulars!", so apparently the second time my benefactor wanted to get right to the point)

Hippokleides
Mar 20, 2011

by Ozma

zzyzx posted:

Made a large number of petey-posts.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I know a couple of the girls in the Korean student election and they're pretty strong-willed and cool people. I don't know Richard at all, though so vote for whoever you like.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho
Totally avoided this thread for ~1+ years b/c it bummed me out but I'm reporting in to say you're reading the post of the SBA president at WUSTL :smug:

the post of an SBA president without a paying job for his 2L summer :smith:

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
The Loyola Patent Law Interview Program opened up its bidding system on Symplicity on Monday. Any previous attendees have any tips on the bidding process? Is there any source online with the typical GPA ranges these different firms look for? Is it worthwhile to draft cover letters for each position even though most postings don't ask for it?

I'm not going to die alone when I transfer to the East Coast after this summer, but I need to make sure I don't die jobless as well.

And if anyone could tell me to what extent BU/BC transfer students get their biglaw dreams raped at OCI, please let me know so I can have the appropriate amount of lube on hand. TIA

Damn Phantom fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 20, 2011

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Petey posted:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/as...269_5341&gqid=0

Feel free to send around.

lmao at a 48k, 1 year fellowship, job that requires a jd and 3 years of experience

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Petey posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3405944 apparently

(second time I've been given it - first time said "America sucks! I bitch about politics! Please hit me in the penis with a claw hammer, LF regulars!", so apparently the second time my benefactor wanted to get right to the point)

Angola rodeo is sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Beautiful Flower posted:

the post of an SBA president without a paying job for his 2L summer :smith:

I always thought of running. My first act would be to dissolve the SBA and attempt to run SBA by fiat for life.