Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Veins McGee posted:

Any pics of the inside? I don't really care about the turret because I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as ours but some troop compartment pics would be cool.

I only have pics of the old variant - there's newer ones with bucket seats rather than a bench, and everyone hates it - and I don't have pics of the CP variant either.

Sorry for the image quality, my camera dislikes interior shots for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Elgar posted:

Several routes you can go. You can do ROTP if accepted your last year of school would be paid for and you would have to serve a min of 1.5 years to repay. So if you're looking for an intro that's a route. You can go reserves. But then reserve mentality is a bit different than Reg for some reason. Also especially since Reserve components and class B's are being lessened you will have less of a chance to do something.

It's actually a minimum of 3 years, at least it was in 2008 when I signed my contract.

Two months obligatory service for every month of subsidization (summers don't count). Up to a maximum of 5 years or a minimum of 3.

It sucks because I only did two years of school through ROTP, so I should only have to pay back 32 months. But instead I've got 36. :argh: My four months!!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Hey, you might even be out of the training system by then. :smith:

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My three years is over in a little over a month, and then my next three year contract begins! I was sorely tempted to change my new three year contract to a 25 year because honestly I like my infanteer job a lot.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Hizawk posted:

My three years is over in a little over a month, and then my next three year contract begins! I was sorely tempted to change my new three year contract to a 25 year because honestly I like my infanteer job a lot.

don't do this

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Hey, you might even be out of the training system by then. :smith:

Haha I think best-case at this point is getting through phase 3 this summer, then waiting a year until a phase 4 starts in May 2012. Finish off that by August 2012, then I guess my obligatory service is up in September 2013, so I might even get to a battalion!

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Hizawk posted:

hahaha i really want to somehow quote this, print it off, then find you when you hate your life and show you this

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
tuyop...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

moker posted:

tuyop...

What? I still don't know who you are.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
There isn't any benefits to signing a 25 year other than less paperwork, right?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

mdivi posted:

There isn't any benefits to signing a 25 year other than less paperwork, right?

Right.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Thinking about packing up and joining the army. Full time, no reserves. Printed out all the required forms and will go to the recruitment office on Thursday to ask a bunch of questions.

Good pay? Can I make this my career if I feel like it and be financially secure for myself, my girlfriend and my mother? I live with my girlfriend right now, so I'd want to pay for the rent while I'm away ($1200/mo) plus make it so I can propose to her and eventually marry her, all while she can stay back and go to uni.

Once she's a teacher (3 years from now) I don't see her having a problem moving. Will I move a lot?

So many loving questions! Basically, any anecdotes or help you could offer would be great. A lot of these posts (I started from the beginning, jumping ahead after about 30 pages) have strange acronyms I don't understand and seems a bit out of date.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Thinking about packing up and joining the army.

Definitely try it out. Generally speaking though, full time military life is brutal on marriages.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Flanker posted:

Definitely try it out. Generally speaking though, full time military life is brutal on marriages.

She's in school for another 3 years, and isn't the initial stint 3 years for myself as well? Then I can step back and see what I want to do next?

So many questions I need answered - I found army.ca and will be going through this 2-season YouTube thing that they made on basically going from my position to the army, full time.

Will I be making enough money, going in (without a degree or anything, just high school) to support my girlfriend while I'm away? The pay scales are confusing cuz I don't know what I'd be.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Almost looking like we know what we're doing with the change arms.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

She's in school for another 3 years, and isn't the initial stint 3 years for myself as well? Then I can step back and see what I want to do next?

So many questions I need answered - I found army.ca and will be going through this 2-season YouTube thing that they made on basically going from my position to the army, full time.

Will I be making enough money, going in (without a degree or anything, just high school) to support my girlfriend while I'm away? The pay scales are confusing cuz I don't know what I'd be.

As a private during basic training I was making roughly $650 every two weeks. If you're married you can get some extra money but generally speaking, starting out, pay sucks. When you get promoted to corporal (at around 3-4 years in) pay gets considerably better and you'll be bringing home around $3k a month or more depending on spec pay, jump pay, LDA, etc.

You'll be moving around the country occasionally, and you'll more than likely be away for a month or two at a time at least once a year if you're any sort of combat arms. I hope you two have a good relationship, because the military destroys them.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Hi folks - interesting news about in-service commissioning hot off the presses (well, my in service commissioning). I applied CEOTP (pilot) in the fall with a really strong package. But it turns out the CF is not interested in offering any spots in that pipeline this year after all (i.e. no one is getting an offer).

But, they are wanting to extend me a UTPNCM offer, which is super fantastic sounding, but I'm not too sure how I'm going to get into the required program (science, engineering, aviation, space science) for THIS FALL by applying within the next week or so. I have 3 years of a history degree, but they won't fund that for pilot. For gently caress's sake.

I have to talk to someone other than the clerk at D-MILC to try to wangle this. Even continuing my degree at my previous uni would be a hassle at this point (course registration is in like two months).

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Watching the "Basic Up" videos and they're really informative. They briefly touched upon certain things that can't be brought to basic training - what are they? Things like laptops and electronic devices, or what?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Watching the "Basic Up" videos and they're really informative. They briefly touched upon certain things that can't be brought to basic training - what are they? Things like laptops and electronic devices, or what?

As of lately you can take your ipods and laptops, they will be locked away in a room where they are "safe". Your recruiter will give you a list of yes and no's.

You mostly cant bring pain meds, or knives, drugs, booze, cats (anyone hear that story?) stuff that you could injure yourself or others with.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Please tell of the recruit who brought a cat to BMQ.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I heard of this when I was in St. Jean in August 2008. They had a new platoon of recruits arriving on that weekend. So they arrive and they bring the new recruits into one of the weapons rooms to search for contraband. So they are emptying everything onto the floor and this guy refuses to open his bag then the bag moves and meows. So the staff grabs it and opens it and find a cat in it. I guess he thought it could some how keep it hidden through out basic? I don't know what happened to him or the cat.

Anyone know if this is real or BS?

edit: I guess a cat would have been a better pet than a dust bunny.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 18, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thinking about packing up and joining the army. Full time, no reserves. Printed out all the required forms and will go to the recruitment office on Thursday to ask a bunch of questions.

Good pay? Can I make this my career if I feel like it and be financially secure for myself, my girlfriend and my mother? I live with my girlfriend right now, so I'd want to pay for the rent while I'm away ($1200/mo) plus make it so I can propose to her and eventually marry her, all while she can stay back and go to uni.

Once she's a teacher (3 years from now) I don't see her having a problem moving. Will I move a lot?

So many loving questions! Basically, any anecdotes or help you could offer would be great. A lot of these posts (I started from the beginning, jumping ahead after about 30 pages) have strange acronyms I don't understand and seems a bit out of date.

How do you manage to pay that much in rent and buy so many apps, man?

In order to answer the pay question you have to decide if you want to go NCM or Officer. Officers make significantly more money, but need a university degree (in combat arms it doesn't matter what degree it is). As a DEO 2Lt you can expect about 4100/month gross. All the deductions depend on your trade and base, but I'm an ROTP 2Lt with the infantry school in Gagetown and I make about 2400/month net. The deductions are insane.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I made $190.14 last pay. Being a private sucks.

(It's being sorted out, normally get 710 after deductions, but hoooly poo poo was I pissed. Getting screwed on pay just before easter sucks.)

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I'm pretty stoked. I got a call today from my recruiter and I was accepted into ROTP as an Infantry Officer. Pretty happy with it, and only going to be 5 years of compulsory service since I'm only getting 2 years subsidized.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MagicCube posted:

I'm pretty stoked. I got a call today from my recruiter and I was accepted into ROTP as an Infantry Officer. Pretty happy with it, and only going to be 5 years of compulsory service since I'm only getting 2 years subsidized.

ONLY 5 years? That's hosed. Check your terms again and read my post higher up this page. I'll try to find the reference tomorrow for you to see if you're getting screwed.

Also, congrats on infantry. Start working out immediately. Find a crossfit gym (don't listen to Simkin, he is just a giant of a man and hates things like cameraphones and crossfit) and try to go twice a day. And eat.

Samu posted:

I made $190.14 last pay. Being a private sucks.

(It's being sorted out, normally get 710 after deductions, but hoooly poo poo was I pissed. Getting screwed on pay just before easter sucks.)

Before I got promoted I was making -200 a pay. 200 dollars actually came out of my checking account every payday because my rations and quarters cost more than my salary. And now I'm in horrible, horrible debt so I have to spend my vacation in loving Dartmouth.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

tuyop posted:

ONLY 5 years? That's hosed. Check your terms again and read my post higher up this page. I'll try to find the reference tomorrow for you to see if you're getting screwed.

Also, congrats on infantry. Start working out immediately. Find a crossfit gym (don't listen to Simkin, he is just a giant of a man and hates things like cameraphones and crossfit) and try to go twice a day. And eat.

Well it comes out to 3 after school, but I was including the 2 years of university I have left.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I was considering when I come back from Korea going officer corps. But there's no way on god's green earth I'd be admin anymore. I despise admin. I hated being a clerk, and trying to do stuff in the field. "You're a clerk why aren't you in your office" BECAUSE I WAS A GUNNER WHILE YOU WERE STILL IN MIDDLE SCHOOL YOU TWAT.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Its a historic week, Canada now has two subs in the water for the first time in two years! And one of them is the Victoria, which has been in dry dock for 6 years... Hooray.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Lt. Jebus posted:

Its a historic week, Canada now has two subs in the water for the first time in two years! And one of them is the Victoria, which has been in dry dock for 6 years... Hooray.

I want to share your enthusiasm. But it's kinda just depressing.

It's a historic week! A Seaking didn't crash!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

I was considering when I come back from Korea going officer corps. But there's no way on god's green earth I'd be admin anymore. I despise admin. I hated being a clerk, and trying to do stuff in the field. "You're a clerk why aren't you in your office" BECAUSE I WAS A GUNNER WHILE YOU WERE STILL IN MIDDLE SCHOOL YOU TWAT.

Hey, guess what? That's what officers do. I've been in Suffield for two months, in a biv in the middle of a godforsaken tundra, and what am I doing? Writing up DTSFs, VURs, and watching my colleagues wrestle with PERs.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Flanker posted:

Oh god you reminded me I am jumping out of them in July in Halifax. That's gonna be scary. Not the jumping or heights part, those are awesome, but the feeling the bloody thing is gonna crash while I am on it. In fact, once I jump out of the helicopter I will be most calm.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Simkin posted:

Hey, guess what? That's what officers do. I've been in Suffield for two months, in a biv in the middle of a godforsaken tundra, and what am I doing? Writing up DTSFs, VURs, and watching my colleagues wrestle with PERs.

PERs in a proper office are bad enough, PERs in a biv must be horrible...

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Flanker posted:

Its very embarrassing. A Shameful Navy.

On the plus side its one more step towards have a weapons certified platform. Probably by the end of the year now.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Ok so I've done 3 Express tests in 8 months, gotten exempt on each one. Do they ever end? What the hell? Also, the PSP staff told me I'd get a point on my PER if I met incentive on the Express. Whats up with that?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How many pushups did you guys get comfortable with before signing up?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Ok so I've done 3 Express tests in 8 months, gotten exempt on each one. Do they ever end? What the hell? Also, the PSP staff told me I'd get a point on my PER if I met incentive on the Express. Whats up with that?

Are you counting ones in basic as well? I know we did one before DP1 to narrow down people to go on course, the we did one on DP1. Its the military, if it makes sense then something is going wrong.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

How many pushups did you guys get comfortable with before signing up?

I was doing sets of 50. If you can do several of these you can more than likely keep up with/surpass the instructors. One of my staff in basic training once made us do 6.

Samu posted:

Nope. PERs (or PDRs, I can never remember which one's which) you get when you're Cpl+ and it basically rates you in a bunch of categories with a numerical value determined by your placing in the unit/regiment. They usually consist of about 40% words that you have to use, 10% important things you've actually done, and 50% bullshit. It's split into two parts (performance and potential), and you get one point on your "potential" part if you're fit. I didn't have any real jobs before I joined the military so this could be a perfectly normal way of evaluating subordinates, but it is loving ludicrous.

edit: also they're usually written by someone who has probably never even met you.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

acumen posted:

They usually consist of about 40% words that you have to use, 10% important things you've actually done, and 50% bullshit.

edit: also they're usually written by someone who has probably never even met you.

This. I haven't had the pleasure of writing one yet, but I'm surrounded by people bashing them out. I'm not even going to pretend to understand the rationale behind 'fill all the white space because it needs to be filled with text' nonsense. I thought writing report cards was an exercise in stringing together the most tenuously grammatical sentences while at the same time managing to say volumes about nothing.

vv Awww.

Simkin fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 20, 2011

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
A consummate and peerless poster, Simkin managed to post on the Something Awful forums. As an unsurpassed communicator, Simkin's posts were clear and concise.

Posted from the CFPAS app on my phone

Gay but Spooky fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Amputee House posted:

A consummate and peerless poster, Simkin managed to post on the Something Awful forums. As an unsurpassed communicator, Simkin's posts were clear and concise.

Posted from the CFPAS app on my phone

Simkin carried out his posting duties in a timely fashion. In carrying out his duties, Simkin experienced a minor injury while typing, but managed to overcome said injury and complete his tasking.