Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

feedmegin posted:

If you're watching video in a format the GPU can't hardware accelerate, you'll want that processing power. My Nook can definitely be laggy with AVI files in rockplayer for instance. Not to say it isn't still awesome, but there is a valid reason occasionally to want some more CPU grunt.

That's my only complaint about it, I've got a handbrake profile specific for the NC, once things are re-encoded, it plays perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DigitalMocking posted:

That's my only complaint about it, I've got a handbrake profile specific for the NC, once things are re-encoded, it plays perfectly.
Would you care to post the settings you use?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So any guides to rooting an HTC Thunderbolt? Didn't see it in the OP.

EDIT: nevermind, found it on page 91.

So which version of CM7 are y'all using on your NCs? I'm still running autonooted stock, mainly because I am afraid of warranty voiding, but if CM7 is really that damned wonderful, I might have to take the plunge this weekend.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 16, 2011

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fuzz posted:

So any guides to rooting an HTC Thunderbolt? Didn't see it in the OP.

EDIT: nevermind, found it on page 91.

So which version of CM7 are y'all using on your NCs? I'm still running autonooted stock, mainly because I am afraid of warranty voiding, but if CM7 is really that damned wonderful, I might have to take the plunge this weekend.

7.0 final, which includes the new tablet tweaks. Works great. :getin:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Has anyone seen this bug before? My phone works fine in all ways, network great, but whenever I get a call my reception drops out completely, loses the call, and then comes back straight away. I can call out fine, send messages and browse net with no issues whatsoever. Weird.

It's a Galaxy S with 2.3.3 (flashed on Friday). I used Titanium and suspect I may have screwed up things by getting it to put all my apps and settings back, including system data. It used to have 2.2.1 on it. Is this possible, or should I look in another direction?

Any help would be appreciated...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

iajanus posted:

It's a Galaxy S with 2.3.3 (flashed on Friday). I used Titanium and I TOTALLY screwed up things by getting it to put all my apps and settings back, including system data. It used to have 2.2.1 on it.

Back up your user apps (if you've done anything in the past two days that means something to you), factory reset and install just user apps and data.

It may be a modem or kernel thing if you're using a custom ROM, but I guess you would have said something if you were.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 17, 2011

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Back up your user apps (if you've done anything in the past two days that means something to you), factory reset and install just user apps and data.

It may be a modem or kernel thing if you're using a custom ROM, but I guess you would have said something if you were.

That was my plan for tomorrow, I suspect I hosed it up myself. Hopefully thatll fix it. I'm running a stock 2.3.3, was going to put a custom on but hadn't got around to it yet. Wanting Darky v10 but it wouldnt work for me.In time...

e: Sidenote, 2.3.3 is so much better for battery life than 2.2.1 it's not funny. Currently at almost 14 hours of heavy use and still have 30% left, on the old rom would have run out hours ago.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So my girlfriend has an HTC Evo Shift, and I am looking to possibly root it so she can WiFi tether on the occasion she needs it. No custom ROMs needed, she is a more basic user who doesn't like fiddling with stuff. Any easy one click methods like Unrevoked for the Evo?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
edit: nevermind, jumped the gun somewhat

Solly fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 17, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I tried to restore my Fresh backup so I could do the GPS fix, but that was a total failure. After the restore, it just froze at the white EVO splash screen (left it there for over 10 minutes). I pulled the battery and tried again, same result.

I booted back into recovery, wiped cache and dalvik, then rebooted again. This time I got the Fresh boot animation, but again after several minutes it never made it any further. Thankfully my CM7 backup restored with no issues.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

brc64 posted:

I tried to restore my Fresh backup so I could do the GPS fix, but that was a total failure. After the restore, it just froze at the white EVO splash screen (left it there for over 10 minutes). I pulled the battery and tried again, same result.

I booted back into recovery, wiped cache and dalvik, then rebooted again. This time I got the Fresh boot animation, but again after several minutes it never made it any further. Thankfully my CM7 backup restored with no issues.

I had the opposite problem. I flashed back to a Sense ROM and did the GPS fix, but my CM7 nandroid kept bootlooping no matter what I tried. Ended up having to reflash CM7 from scratch. Didn't do a Ti backup before the GPS fix so I lost a week's worth of application settings and changes =(

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Duckman2008 posted:

So my girlfriend has an HTC Evo Shift, and I am looking to possibly root it so she can WiFi tether on the occasion she needs it. No custom ROMs needed, she is a more basic user who doesn't like fiddling with stuff. Any easy one click methods like Unrevoked for the Evo?

Unfortunately, no. To permanently root the Shift you need adb and you basically overwrite the bootloader with a leaked engineering one. There are a few good guides on XDA.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
If you have a desire you should probably know about this...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1038195

Leedroid 3.0, someone leaked the Gingerbread ruu for desire and this is essentially stock sense GB with a2sd. Also with the official radio update which apparently improves 3g signal significantly. I've only been running it for a few hours but so far it runs far smoother than any rom I've seen even with my 100+ apps on it and since its essentially stock it should be bug free. Worth noting that the wifi actually seems to work properly unlike CM7s problems with poor signal and random disconnects but obviously your experience may be different to mine. Anyways if you havent already its well worth a look. It's technically beta but that's only because he hasn't really had a chance to customise it yet.

Schizo
Sep 9, 2001

Oh shit, Robotech lawyers!

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Unfortunately, no. To permanently root the Shift you need adb and you basically overwrite the bootloader with a leaked engineering one. There are a few good guides on XDA.

The Shift root guide on the CM wiki looks scary but it worked perfectly for me. Just do everything up to the "Flashing CyanogenMod" section and you're good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Schizo posted:

The Shift root guide on the CM wiki looks scary but it worked perfectly for me. Just do everything up to the "Flashing CyanogenMod" section and you're good.

Thanks, I'll look into it but worst case i can just get her PDA Net too.

I just got another Evo replacement (charger port again), can anyone give me a quick reminder of how to fix my GPS so that it works in CM? I know I have to be on a Sense ROM to do it, i just forget the procedure.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Alright so I just picked up a Thunderbolt and headed over to XDA to check out the ROMs. There are a ton available as well as a few kernels floating around.

Any recommendations for the best Thunderbolt ROM?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

I just got another Evo replacement (charger port again), can anyone give me a quick reminder of how to fix my GPS so that it works in CM? I know I have to be on a Sense ROM to do it, i just forget the procedure.

Here's a howto from Reddit of all places: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/fzqnc/evo_cyanogenmod_7_gps_fixprls_and_htc_sense/

I'm pretty sure I did the same thing but once I was in the Sense ROM actually launched Maps to make sure I had a GPS lock before flashing to CM7.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Alright so I just picked up a Thunderbolt and headed over to XDA to check out the ROMs. There are a ton available as well as a few kernels floating around.

I prefer Das BAMF de-sensed. The kernel it comes with is pretty good as well. It'll hold ya over until CM7 comes.

Starbux
Jul 25, 2009

The Three Smugmigos
:smug::hf::mmmsmug::hf::smug:

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I'm running Tesla Coil. I really like it, but I think there are a few bugs concerning GPS.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

Just curious are they still making people pay the $100 deductible for that? I swear if mine goes again and they charge me another $100...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EDIT: Figured it out.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 19, 2011

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg
So I rooted my phone and it's nice having a Gingerbread look alike for my G2. However I have two things I am curious about if it's possible.

First up, I am curious if there is a way to disable the trackpad. On occasions, it seems to act on it's own without me even touching the thing. I was watching a video on my phone and the controls menu kept showing up because play, pause and next were randomly being selected. I've also had occasional random selections go on without me even touching the phones interface. So I assume all this is from the trackpad freaking out. However if possible, I'd still like to keep the LED functional.

Second, before I installed Cyanogenmod 7, I was able to put my phone in Silent mode via the lock screen by sliding the left tab over the screen. Now though, instead of being silent mode, it goes into vibrate mode. Is there a way to change this?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
How easy is it to revert the root on a Thunderbolt? I just got mine on Saturday and I'm a bit ambivalent about voiding my warranty straight out the gate unless I can revert the thing, just in case.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

AllenR posted:

So I rooted my phone and it's nice having a Gingerbread look alike for my G2. However I have two things I am curious about if it's possible.

First up, I am curious if there is a way to disable the trackpad. On occasions, it seems to act on it's own without me even touching the thing. I was watching a video on my phone and the controls menu kept showing up because play, pause and next were randomly being selected. I've also had occasional random selections go on without me even touching the phones interface. So I assume all this is from the trackpad freaking out. However if possible, I'd still like to keep the LED functional.

Second, before I installed Cyanogenmod 7, I was able to put my phone in Silent mode via the lock screen by sliding the left tab over the screen. Now though, instead of being silent mode, it goes into vibrate mode. Is there a way to change this?

Go to Settings, Cyanogenmod Settings, Sound, check the box for Silent State.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough
Is there any chance that Cyanogen Mod would possibly be available for the Droid 2?

Tiki Powers fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 19, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Tiki Powers posted:

Is there any chance that Cyanogen Mod would possible be available for the Droid 2?

Until someone figures out how to unlock the bootloader, nope.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I really like this option in Gingerbread that some people might miss because of where it is buried:

Settings > Applications > Development > Stop app via long-press

It makes a long-press of the back button kill the foreground application.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

heat posted:

I really like this option in Gingerbread that some people might miss because of where it is buried:

Settings > Applications > Development > Stop app via long-press

It makes a long-press of the back button kill the foreground application.

Are you sure that's GB and not CM? Cause CM built that into, like, 5.0 I think, and MIUI had it before GB as well.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Are you sure that's GB and not CM? Cause CM built that into, like, 5.0 I think, and MIUI had it before GB as well.

I'm pretty sure you're right and that it was introduced as part of CM6.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Casao posted:

You're probably right, I just never noticed it before, and I wasn't aware CM added things to the menus outside CM Settings

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

heat posted:

You're probably right, I just never noticed it before, and I wasn't aware CM added things to the menus outside CM Settings

Yeah, they really should move it into the CM settings area for consistency.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, I just bought my first Android phone.

HTC Dream / T-Mobile G1.

I think it's been upgraded to 1.6 w/ 3G. Other than that, I have _NO_ knowledge of it.

What is the best way to get this thing factory-fresh with updated firmware and stuff? I'm guessing I want "CyanogenMod 6", but it mentions having to hack the hell out of the device, install something that may brick it (just to get 10 MB extra RAM?), update my radios first, etc.

Is there a "babby's first G1" guide somewhere I can follow?

My end goal is a fully updated G1 for use on AT&T (I understand that it will be EDGE only).

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Xenomorph posted:

HTC Dream / T-Mobile G1.

I think it's been upgraded to 1.6 w/ 3G. Other than that, I have _NO_ knowledge of it.

What is the best way to get this thing factory-fresh with updated firmware and stuff? I'm guessing I want "CyanogenMod 6", but it mentions having to hack the hell out of the device, install something that may brick it (just to get 10 MB extra RAM?), update my radios first, etc.

Is there a "babby's first G1" guide somewhere I can follow?

My end goal is a fully updated G1 for use on AT&T (I understand that it will be EDGE only).
Cyanogen's wiki is probably as good as you're going to find.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=HTC_Dream

As far as unlocking, if you're currently with tmobile or know someone with tmobile, you'll want to get the IMEI and ask them for an unlock code. I don't think there's a gfree-type unlock available for the G1.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I have the IMEI, but no T-Mobile SIM. The previous owner's old SIM no longer functions (they upgraded phones and got a micro SIM).

Do I just pay for an unlock code and pop in the AT&T SIM?

The phone still has their old account. No factory reset yet. I was afraid to reset after reading people getting locked out of the phone.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Xenomorph posted:

HTC Dream / T-Mobile G1.

Was the HTC Aria at a similar/marginally more expensive price? I'd take the G1 back and go for that, because at the very least you'd get a passable Processor, GPU and a non-painful amount of memory. Plus it would have official CM7 support.

EDIT: I'm slow and your second post makes this irrelevant. Never mind me.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I paid $40 for it. Much cheaper than what I see it going for on eBay.

I need to buy a new battery for it. Should I go ahead and pay for an unlock code?

All the rooting & upgrade guides I've seen mention doing full system wipes - and (again), I read the first step in coming back from a data wipe is that it expects you to have a T-Mobile card inserted with an active data plan to get past the initial set up.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Xenomorph posted:

I paid $40 for it. Much cheaper than what I see it going for on eBay.

I need to buy a new battery for it. Should I go ahead and pay for an unlock code?

Don't pay for an unlock code. If you can, get the previous owner to call T-Mobile and ask for it. It's relatively painless and they just email you the code in a couple of days. If you can't get the previous owner to do it, maybe have someone you know on T-Mobile do it.

I have a feeling that no matter what you do, you're going to be unsatisfied with with the device just because the hardware is old.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Be prepared for a slow, painful experience and most apps running like crap, if at all.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Don't let these guys get you too down - but unless you have a friend or someone with a t-mobile SIM, the process is going to be a little difficult. At the minimum, find anyone who has a t-mo account, borrow their SIM, put it in the phone for a few minutes, then dial 611 and ask them to give you an unlock code for the phone.

Once it's unlocked, you'll have a much easier time with the rooting and initial setup. Actually, once you're on CM6, you should be able to do all the initial setup over wifi. On older devices and android versions, you couldn't even get past the setup screen without having a sim with a data account tied to it. And if you only have an ATT sim and it was locked, you'd be stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ok, even thought the old T-Mobile SIM doesn't work (can't make calls, etc), it was enough to get past the "Insert SIM" screen after a wipe and downgrade to 1.5/RC29.

I'm installing the Android SDK to use something called "adb" to enable Wireless and set up my Google Account.

Edit: posting this from the factory-wiped G1!

Double edit: CyanogenMod 6 / Froyo 2.2.1 installed on the G1! Seems to work better than 1.0/1.5/1.6. I didn't even need a data connection or "adb" to get past the first-time-setup (it lets you skip the Google account part).

Just need a new battery and something bigger than the *1GB* SD card, and I'll be set.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 20, 2011