Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PiCroft posted:

I'm looking for a base-builder or some kind of equivalent. I've gotten the base-building bug from a combination of dwarf fortress and minecraft, and I've played/got these games:

Evil Genius
Dungeon Keeper 1/2
Stronghold 1/2
C&C Tiberian Sun
Topico series
Anno series
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War

It might be a bit difficult to find now/get to run, but Startopia is very similar to Dungeon Keeper and friends. It's actually made by a lot of ex-Bullfrog people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I've actually played Startopia, but thanks, that's exactly the sort of game I'd like to find or have suggested :) It was an awesome game.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

PiCroft posted:

I'm looking for a base-builder or some kind of equivalent.

I assume youve played it but Im throwing it out there anyway: Sim Tower?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Yup, played Sim Tower too.

I don't mind if its an obscure indie game, I just crave a builder that has more depth than the glut of RTSs that have come out recently. Dwarf Fortress is nice, but its so slow-paced and much of the cool stuff, like building a military or some of the more clever projects, are either incomprehensible or extremely tedious.

Someone should make a Fallout-themed shelter builder that includes training your people to make scavenge trips outside for food and stuff to research/to build, expand and improve your shelter.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

PiCroft posted:

Someone should make a Fallout-themed shelter builder that includes training your people to make scavenge trips outside for food and stuff to research/to build, expand and improve your shelter.

It is a Flash game, but have you tried Rebuild?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I recently built a new computer and I feel like I'm wasting its abilities playing Diablo II. I'm having quite a bit of fun playing my games from the past ~10 years, but I want to try something new, and maybe something that will make my 6950 at least have to try a little. My processor came with a Steam code for Darksiders, and I guess it's fun, but I got bored and will have to come back to it later.

What I'm not looking for:
FPS
RTS
Online Multiplayer

Things I've been playing:
Diablo II (ES mod)
Heroes of Might and Magic (various)
Minecraft
DoomRL
Spelunky
Cave Story

I guess a first person game where the primary focus isn't shooting stuff (like Oblivion) would be fine. I've got a wired 360 controller as well as a good mouse, so input isn't an issue. After coming up with this list I just reminded myself that I need to play IWTBTG. Still looking for something to heat up my radeon, though.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

vetinari100 posted:

It is a Flash game, but have you tried Rebuild?

Dammit, this is actually quite addictive.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
My girlfriend recently got me to break down and try WOW with her, and I've actually been kind of enjoying myself. I'm almost level 20, but she's beginning to get fed up with it - she apparently used to have a level 70 something-or-other years ago before Lich King and Cataclysm changed the face of the game, and she is bored and frustrated with having to start over, and irritated that she's lost everything she used to have. In short, while she wants to continue our play-time together, she wants to play something other than WOW.

Problem is, we both like the way WOW is balanced, the story, the graphics, the classes, professions, trade skills, etc, and the only game we've found that seems to pretty closely mimmick it (Runes of Magic) does so kind of poorly in our opinion. We don't care for the class balancing, and the dual-classing system is awful. None of the carry-over skills from one class to the other are all that great, and the "Elite" skills are completely useless. We don't care for a lot of other stuff that they tried (and failed) to copy from WOW, so ROM is out.

Does anyone know of any other decent fantasy MMORPGs that are similar to WOW? She doesn't want to do anything modern or sci-fi(so no Old Republic :( ), strictly fantasy-world stuff - mages, dragons, swords, rogues, etc.

The biggest limiting factor is that it has to offer a free trial - neither one of us is rich, and we're not going to spend money to try something that we end up hating - which is why we haven't tried Rift, yet. Also, it needs to have the option to choose PVE Only - neither of us cares at all for PVP.

So, anyone got a list of decent online fantasy RPGs that are at least similar in gameplay style to WOW and fit our particular spergy bill? :)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Looking for another RPG to play. I apparantly own all the Gothic (1-4) games after a drunken Steam sale purchase, so I guess I can play one of those. Which one should I start with? What are the differences/is any of them particularly amazing?

Edit:

Jadz posted:

My girlfriend recently got me to break down and try WOW with her, and I've actually been kind of enjoying myself. I'm almost level 20, but she's beginning to get fed up with it - she apparently used to have a level 70 something-or-other years ago before Lich King and Cataclysm changed the face of the game, and she is bored and frustrated with having to start over, and irritated that she's lost everything she used to have. In short, while she wants to continue our play-time together, she wants to play something other than WOW.

Problem is, we both like the way WOW is balanced, the story, the graphics, the classes, professions, trade skills, etc, and the only game we've found that seems to pretty closely mimmick it (Runes of Magic) does so kind of poorly in our opinion. We don't care for the class balancing, and the dual-classing system is awful. None of the carry-over skills from one class to the other are all that great, and the "Elite" skills are completely useless. We don't care for a lot of other stuff that they tried (and failed) to copy from WOW, so ROM is out.

Does anyone know of any other decent fantasy MMORPGs that are similar to WOW? She doesn't want to do anything modern or sci-fi(so no Old Republic :( ), strictly fantasy-world stuff - mages, dragons, swords, rogues, etc.

The biggest limiting factor is that it has to offer a free trial - neither one of us is rich, and we're not going to spend money to try something that we end up hating - which is why we haven't tried Rift, yet. Also, it needs to have the option to choose PVE Only - neither of us cares at all for PVP.

So, anyone got a list of decent online fantasy RPGs that are at least similar in gameplay style to WOW and fit our particular spergy bill? :)

It's a shame you didn't post this a few days ago, RIFT just finished a free trial weekend. :(

Midrena
May 2, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's a shame you didn't post this a few days ago, RIFT just finished a free trial weekend. :(
Agreeing with this. Rift sounds like it's just for you. Maybe see if they have another trial weekend coming up in a few days. Do check out the Rift subforum, we have a thread there where people post keys.

Arctic
Dec 4, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Looking for another RPG to play. I apparantly own all the Gothic (1-4) games after a drunken Steam sale purchase, so I guess I can play one of those. Which one should I start with? What are the differences/is any of them particularly amazing?

Start with the first and then most definitely then move onto the second which I'm assuming has the expansion, Night of the Raven (or Gothic 2 Gold Edition). The first two Gothic games are absolutely excellent RPGs.

I really do not recommend the third unless you want a closure to the story, I'm playing through Gothic 3 now and it's just not very good. It's not the technical problems or bugs but the overall design philosophy that just ruins it. The only part of Gothic 3 that actually felt fun and distantly like the prior two games was the continent of Varant and that's only a third of the game. Can't help you with the fourth Gothic but I have not heard good things about it.

I have heard Risen is a lot like the first two Gothic games so it's worth a check out if you end up liking Gothic 1 & 2 and also I personally feel Arx Fatalis is a kind of mix of Gothic meets Ultima Underworld.

Arctic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 12, 2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I'm looking for an iPhone game with some RPG elements, that isn't real time. Something turn based, maybe like a tactical RPG, but other things would be fine as long as there is some equipment and stats that actually make some sort of difference. I tried Battleheart and it seems ok, but I'm always making my cleric walk into death instead of change who he is healing, because the controls are not very precise.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

modig posted:

I'm looking for an iPhone game with some RPG elements, that isn't real time. Something turn based, maybe like a tactical RPG, but other things would be fine as long as there is some equipment and stats that actually make some sort of difference. I tried Battleheart and it seems ok, but I'm always making my cleric walk into death instead of change who he is healing, because the controls are not very precise.

Dungeon Raid. Dungeon Raid. Dungeon Raid.

Check out the thread here then buy it and watch hours disappear.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401319

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Yeah, I did some reading and watched a few gameplay videos on youtube - Rift definitely looks like it's what we're looking for. I wish I had caught the trial weekend. I may take a chance on this if there's not another coming soonish.

Thanks for the links and info :)

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tiramisu posted:

Dungeon Raid. Dungeon Raid. Dungeon Raid.

Check out the thread here then buy it and watch hours disappear.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401319

It reminds me of Gyromancer, which was way more fun than I expected.

Installing now. iTunes said I had already bought it, that's weird. I want to make sure I paid for it, does anybody know how to check what I've bought on my iTunes account?

modig fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 12, 2011

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PiCroft posted:

Yup, played Sim Tower too.

I don't mind if its an obscure indie game, I just crave a builder that has more depth than the glut of RTSs that have come out recently. Dwarf Fortress is nice, but its so slow-paced and much of the cool stuff, like building a military or some of the more clever projects, are either incomprehensible or extremely tedious.

I was hoping someone would recommend something for you. I want DF to be good, but you really put your finger on the problem - anything that's actually interesting in the game is aggressively tedious and obtuse.

Maybe Goblin Camp will shape up one of these days...

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Jadz posted:

Have you given Lord of the Rings Online or Dungeons and Dragons online a spin? They're both free to play these days. LOTRO is a bit more Wowlike than DDO if that's what you're looking for, but both are pretty fun.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

PiCroft posted:

Dammit, this is actually quite addictive.

Uhmm, yes. I stayed up far too late to finish this and get all the 'endings', even though I knew I had to get up early today. I wasn't even looking for a game to play.

vetinari100 :argh:

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Jadz posted:

Having kicked the WoW habit a couple years back and sorta sticking my toe into the waters of the free to play stuff like LOTR or DDO or Guild Wars, I can say I've had a decent amount of fun, but those worlds always felt a bit dead to me. As of recent I've been playing Rift and it feels like they yanked a bunch of ideas from other MMOs and refined it into a nice Post-WoW package. The way some things worked in WoW is exactly the same here, it's just that when you go 'you know I liked x but it'd have been cooler if it was x+2', chances are Rift is already x+2.

It's been a lot of fun so far, so I'd give it a recommend as well.

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord
Any Tower Defense games worth a drat lately? I've played a bunch of flash ones, but I generally don't like them that much, the only i spent more than an hour on are Gemcraft and Cursed Treasure. I liked Defense Grid and played it a bunch and would not mind dishing out a little money if it means a bit more refined game on an engine tweaked for it. On a similar note I've also played a bunch of WC3 TD maps about two years ago. If something spectacular has come up since then I might try it, but else I feel like the others exhausted what was possible to do with WC3.

Things I like but aren't necessary: Skill trees, like in Cursed Treasure. Lots of enemy and tower variants. Straightforward upgrades; GemCrafts system felt cluttery to me, and it wasn't always clear to me what would be better, I prefer a straight tower upgrade, or a choice between different functions for the tower. And last but not least: Mazing, even though almost none seem to have this now.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
How do you feel about reverse Tower Defense?

Anomaly: Warzone Earth

Here's a quick look of it on Giant Bomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-anomaly-warzone-earth/17-3983/

Basically you play the invaders and it works pretty well. Nice twist at least.

For your somewhat more standard fare, perhaps some Sanctum?:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/12/sanctum-impressions/#more-56765

Well that's more FPS + Tower Defense, but it looks to be entertaining as well.

I'm leaning towards Anomaly myself because I like how that plays.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Uhmm, yes. I stayed up far too late to finish this and get all the 'endings', even though I knew I had to get up early today. I wasn't even looking for a game to play.

vetinari100 :argh:

Haha, sorry about that! :shobon: Exactly the same thing happened to me when I first found out abut the game.

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord

Bats posted:

Anomaly: Warzone Earth

perhaps some Sanctum?:

I've seen both but neither really peeked my interest. I'm definitely looking for more traditional TD gameplay mechanics.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Free Weedlord posted:

Any Tower Defense games worth a drat lately? I've played a bunch of flash ones, but I generally don't like them that much, the only i spent more than an hour on are Gemcraft and Cursed Treasure. I liked Defense Grid and played it a bunch and would not mind dishing out a little money if it means a bit more refined game on an engine tweaked for it. On a similar note I've also played a bunch of WC3 TD maps about two years ago. If something spectacular has come up since then I might try it, but else I feel like the others exhausted what was possible to do with WC3.

Things I like but aren't necessary: Skill trees, like in Cursed Treasure. Lots of enemy and tower variants. Straightforward upgrades; GemCrafts system felt cluttery to me, and it wasn't always clear to me what would be better, I prefer a straight tower upgrade, or a choice between different functions for the tower. And last but not least: Mazing, even though almost none seem to have this now.

Something that's a bit different and appears casual on the surface is "Plants VS Zombies". If you haven't played it don't jump on the "It's casual crap" bandwagon, download the demo on steam and check that out. It gets surprisingly more complex and it's ridiculously addictive and tactical for a tower defence game.

Also I spelt "defence" right, that's how we spell it in England. :P

Red Octopus!!
Oct 27, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Is Way of the Samurai for PS2 any good? I hear it's a great, underrated gem that is brief but has like, six endings. Also, I was considering Ico and Rez as far as PS2 titles go, so how're they? I mean, I'm more interested in saving Ico data to a memory card rather than risk a PS3 poo poo the bed and lose everything...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Red Octopus!! posted:

Is Way of the Samurai for PS2 any good? I hear it's a great, underrated gem that is brief but has like, six endings. Also, I was considering Ico and Rez as far as PS2 titles go, so how're they? I mean, I'm more interested in saving Ico data to a memory card rather than risk a PS3 poo poo the bed and lose everything...

I picked up Way of the Samurai after reading rave reviews on here and thought it was decent at best. The gameplay is pretty shallow, it's flat and ugly in the way that early PS2 games are, and while the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure quality of the story is interesting, I didn't find it compelling enough for me to finish a second playthrough.

Don't get ICO on PS2 as an HD compilation of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus is coming out on PS3 eventually. The American version of ICO lacks features that the European version has, such as improved AI and a 2-player mode, and I'm quite sure these will be included in the PS3 version. If you are European or can otherwise play the European version, by all means get it on PS2 then.

Rez is an awesome shooter with great music, though I sometimes find it difficult to tell what exactly is hitting me and feel it has a frustrating and unnecessarily long last level. Definitely worth getting, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 13, 2011

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Looking for a game like Intelligent Qube (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Qube) Any puzzle games like this? preferably for the pc but i do have a 360.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

We broke down and took a chance on Rift, and we love it :) It's just WoW-like enough that the transition is painless, but unique enough to be interesting (really digging the "soul" system), and the story is cool, too (We're time-travellers!). Throw in all the cool optional collection quests (I'm a sucker for this stuff), optional puzzles and fun achievements, and I think we'll probably be playing this for quite a while.

Thanks again, guys :)

Midrena
May 2, 2009
Jadz, I'm so glad you enjoy it! If you haven't yet (though I think I saw a post by you in one of the threads there, if I'm not mistaken), come on over to the Rift subforum in the MMOHMO. :)

Goons, help me find an FPS to gift to my guy. I am not at all into FPSes so I have no idea about this, but I dug into one of our 'I'm bored at work, let's talk!' emails where we talked about games in general, and this is what he said when I asked him about favorite FPS games:

quote:

I enjoy FPS games that are more than just mindlessly fighting bots in an arena; I lose interest really fast.

One of my favorites is the Unreal series. America's Army was really, really good too I think -- I like how the game leans more into realism. I also enjoyed the Modern Warfare single player campaign, but for me MP was too arcade-ish. Same goes for Battlefield: Bad company.

Oh and I really enjoyed Crysis too, very fun.

Having Iron Sights is a must though for me nowadays (that you can look down the barrel of your gun). UT never had this and is the only game that gets away with it for me because I'm a sucker for the engine, hah.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I miss the Battlefield 1942 mod 'Desert Combat'. I spent thousands of hours playing it, and ever since it died I've never been able to find any similar vehicular first person shooters.

Flying around a kill-everything plane, base raping until someone lands a lucky shot on you, and you bail out and land directly in their just-respawned helicopter to continue the slaughter is an amazing feeling, and I want it again. Any ideas?

I've played all the other games in the battlefield series (Battlefield 2 was alright, but all the others suck due to lack of planes), tried Planetside. I bought Arma 2 and haven't had the patience to do more than run around.

Save me, goons!

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Midrena posted:

Jadz, I'm so glad you enjoy it! If you haven't yet (though I think I saw a post by you in one of the threads there, if I'm not mistaken), come on over to the Rift subforum in the MMOHMO. :)

Goons, help me find an FPS to gift to my guy. I am not at all into FPSes so I have no idea about this, but I dug into one of our 'I'm bored at work, let's talk!' emails where we talked about games in general, and this is what he said when I asked him about favorite FPS games:

Today is the day Portal 2 comes out, and it kind of counts as an FPS. It's a solid bet unless he has pre-ordered it, because he will either like it, or you will have proof that he isn't worth keeping around and have Portal 2 to console yourself.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Midrena posted:

Yeah, I've posted a few newbie questions around there trying to get a feel for how to do some things properly. Thanks again :)

It's wierd that he doesn't care for the BF:BC games much - I usually use CoD:MW as the main reason why I LOVE the BC games. Much more realistic, but still arcade-y enough to be fun. If he's primarily a PC gamer, I'd say have a look at the ArmA series. I haven't had the chance to play them myself, but I've seen them in action and they sound like they're just what he's looking for - realistic military shooters (more like simulations). The above comment is seriously the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything even remotely negative about the series; it almost always gets pretty glowing reviews.

Also, the older Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games are still some of my favorite single-player (never did the multiplayer stuff) shooters on the PC.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Isolationist posted:

Flying around a kill-everything plane, base raping until someone lands a lucky shot on you, and you bail out and land directly in their just-respawned helicopter to continue the slaughter

I can see why it died. Fun for one guy, aggravation for five others.

One game that sort of does that was the old Roseanne's Bum server for Unreal Tournament... the first UT, that is. Those maps were almost entirely about flying around in pocket jets, baseraping, and never stopping.

e: I used to just grab a sniper rifle, and pick off X-Rocket pilots at a distance by the dozen. Good times.

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005
I'm thinking of getting Sacred II for PS3, but I just wanted to know a couple things that have been hard to come by on just Google searching.

1. It says there's local coop play. Is this split screen or shared screen?
2. How's the local coop? Does it play well, or do things get confusing with 2 people on the same TV?

Red Octopus!!
Oct 27, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I got a few questions:

1. This may seem obvious as day and night, but would you say the PS3 Version of No More Heroes is better than the original Wii version? Consider that I've never played either before, but I like the design of it.

2. Is there any information on the release date of the PSN Port of Muramasa: The Demon Blade? If it has been released, how's it compare to the Wii version? I too have never played either versions of this game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played the two first God of War games and did enjoy them the first playthrough, but felt no need to ever play them again. The GoW3 demo felt stale and too similar and no amount of polygons will change that. I still feel like I might be missing out, but I did also try the demo for the latest Castlevania. It was pretty rough around the edges, but I liked the music and the pretty environments.

Is GoW3 worth it in the end or should I go for Castlevania instead?

wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp
I didn't play Castlevania, but if you didn't want to replay GoW I or II I doubt the third will be any different, and the extra game modes add little game-play time. Get whichever is cheaper.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renoistic posted:

I played the two first God of War games and did enjoy them the first playthrough, but felt no need to ever play them again. The GoW3 demo felt stale and too similar and no amount of polygons will change that. I still feel like I might be missing out, but I did also try the demo for the latest Castlevania. It was pretty rough around the edges, but I liked the music and the pretty environments.

If you like the GoW games, you might like Devil May Cry 3 or Bayonetta, which are a slightly different style of beat-em-up game (they're more arcade-y), but both worth checking out.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Just curious, but have you played Darksiders yet? I never played the GoW games, but I hear the combat is very similar in style. It's got decent visuals, a neat story and a pretty large open world that really reminds me a lot of Zelda with areas that you'll have to come back to later when you get a new ability or gadget to get that chest you saw tucked away at the beginning of the game. Some of the standard monsters can be a bit annoying, but the bosses are TONS of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Jadz posted:

Just curious, but have you played Darksiders yet? I never played the GoW games, but I hear the combat is very similar in style. It's got decent visuals, a neat story and a pretty large open world that really reminds me a lot of Zelda with areas that you'll have to come back to later when you get a new ability or gadget to get that chest you saw tucked away at the beginning of the game. Some of the standard monsters can be a bit annoying, but the bosses are TONS of fun.

I actually own it on PC but haven't gotten to playing it yet (Steam Christmas sale). Perhaps I should give it a shot! DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden are too drat hard for me but I loved Bayonetta and got all the trophies and challenges.