Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

New bondsman Samantha was first taken to apparel, to help make new uniforms for her clan. Unfortunately, the wires in her still heavily concussed mind crossed, and the result was not what her supervisors expected.

(front)

(rear)

Samantha was chastised for revealing what she thought the Vipers' plan of attack would be on a shirt. Oddly, despite orders to burn the lot, many were preserved: this is how the concept of "ironic" T-shirts first came to the Clans. Seyla.

KnoxZone posted:

Is the merchant caste selling these? I would buy the hell out of one.

dude they totally sold out when they invaded the IS :colbert:

everyone knows the True Clan is Clan Blood Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
To address something a few people have said earlier about Clover and Hunter (?) possibly being brainwashed by the Vipers, keep in mind that the primary example we've seen of Clan brainwashing working, Phelan Kell, was already kinda Clanny when he got captured. Plus, he got captured by Clan Wolf, who were actively working to avoid casualties in the Inner Sphere invasion and didn't want to be there to begin with.

Contrast with Steel Viper, aka rear end in a top hat Clan, and I can't see Clover succumbing to them without one heck of a fight.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Also, just because I love the dopey thing, the logo I threw together and put on the 'shirt' front:

...I did WARN you people that I was going to become the Clans' designated cheerleader. And would stop using contractions. This is but the first installment. :3:

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Veyrall posted:

How would a planet even have a flammable atmosphere for longer than, maybe a day at most, like 4 hours normally? Seriously, a spark anywhere on the entire planet would light the sky on fire.*
Just for a practical example, you could have a planet with a liquid environment, that evaporates into the air, but is too dense to occupy the upper areas of the atmosphere. It eventually mixes with the air and becomes flammable, and forms a vast clouds, or thick layers of mist capable of engulfing entire battlefields, but burns away sporadically when it manages to catch light, and rains back down as ash into the sea where whatever wacky plant life they have turns it into more of the liquid, leaving the rest of the upper atmosphere relatively untouched.

For more wacky hijinx, have the fluid also be a breathable liquid in which all the planets flora and fauna live. Also if the gas is a low explosive, it can blow itself out probably without it all burning forever maybe.

Also the only compelling idea I had for Far Country was to carefully place a sheet of aluminium foil between each and every page, and then place it in a microwave.

Finally, Dusk was a very important, almost neutral arbiter in the events that unfolded, although perhaps only from the fluff perspective. Her influence on the proceedings shouldn't go unheralded. Without that, many of the escapades which bought our guys the time they managed to take up might not have panned out as they did.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mastigophoran posted:

Also the only compelling idea I had for Far Country was to carefully place a sheet of aluminium foil between each and every page, and then place it in a microwave.

That would have been an acceptable submission.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Also, just because I love the dopey thing, the logo I threw together and put on the 'shirt' front:

...I did WARN you people that I was going to become the Clans' designated cheerleader. And would stop using contractions. This is but the first installment. :3:

If I knew how to draw, or well, make any kind of art, I'd be outdoing you in a second Mister! :argh:

As a fan that is, not an artist. :saddowns:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

KnoxZone posted:

Is the merchant caste selling these? I would buy the hell out of one.

I'd buy one.

Mukaikubo posted:

Her fate is not yet determined. Ceasar Steiner is about to go :black101:, so he might just save her yet. Your use of contractions is not yet at an end, quineg?

(Seriously, PTN, please rescue Samantha. Just so we don't have to deal with thread-ternity* of Muk using no contractions ever.)

*Like eternity, but confined to the duration of a thread.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

(Seriously, PTN, please rescue Samantha. Just so we don't have to deal with thread-ternity* of Muk using no contractions ever.)

Like you would even notice if I had not pointed it out. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also CSV has a strict "no freeborn warrior" policy. So they have to escape and fight a running war. They don't deserve a life of scrubbing off coolant stains.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Also CSV has a strict "no freeborn warrior" policy. So they have to escape and fight a running war. They don't deserve a life of scrubbing off coolant stains.

My considered response: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Mukaikubo posted:

Like you would even notice if I had not pointed it out. :v:

It is not unusual to omit contractions in writing.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I like it when people write without contractions :ohdear:

Also, you really want to turn away things like that shirt I wish was real? I have paid :20bux: for shirts less cool.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

David Corbett posted:

It is not unusual to omit contractions in writing.

Is not it?

What happens to Clan cheerleaders who accidentally let slip a contraction, a Trial of Punctuation?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Narsham posted:

Is not it?

What happens to Clan cheerleaders who accidentally let slip a contraction, a Trial of Punctuation?

Mockery and scorn, mostly, which is why I invited both on me should I slip. :v:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Narsham posted:

Is not it?

A Trial of Punctuation would bring a new meaning to the term, "Circle of Equals."

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mastigophoran posted:

I looked for one but I would have just set it on fire and maybe pee on it.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

KnoxZone posted:

While I am sure almost everyone knows what <Redacted> are by now, it is almost habit. I can't wait till the IS designation for them becomes <Redacted>.

I can honestly say that I have no clue what the black death rectangles are. I'm not sure if their inevitable arrival will be able to meet the hype that has been built as I highlight them to read redacted, usrely nothing could be as impressive as everyone is talking them up to be.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 19, 2011

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

ActionZero posted:

I can honestly say that I have no clue what the black death rectangles are. I'm not sure if their inevitable arrival will be able to meet the hype that has been built as I highlight them to read redacted, usrely nothing could be as impressive as everyone is talking them up to be.

The Clans have a weapon which deletes you from history and expunges all mention of you. They call it a <REDACTED> because that's all that's left to show that its victims even existed.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ActionZero posted:

Well, barring a series of incredibly unlucky rolls, players knowing what they are and meta-gaming and PTN going easy on us, no, they are that dangerous. Of course, if used improperly, they won't be nearly as effective as they can, but so is dropping a daisy cutter on your army instead of the enemy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, this thread moves fast.

Muk, that shirt is killer. Love it.

I would, at this time, like to point out that the story update did in fact answer none of my posted questions.

Just as predicted. :smug:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I'd buy one.

Her fate is not yet determined. Ceasar Steiner is about to go :black101:, so he might just save her yet. Your use of contractions is not yet at an end, quineg?

(Seriously, PTN, please rescue Samantha.

No. We need more awesome warriors with actual personalities fighting for the Clans.

Besides, when has Ceasar ever rescued anyone?

(In this strange new timeline, maybe he'll fare differently?)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Based on their performance last fight, it seemed more like they have a "no actual warriors" policy. The guy in the boxing match being the exception.

Maybe he's secretly a captured IS pilot too. How'd that be for an alternate timeline twist? The only honorable warriors Clan Steel Viper has are the ones they stole from the IS. Their trueborns are Knox and the guy in the Naga who likes shooting unarmed planes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

inflatablefish posted:

The Clans have a weapon which deletes you from history and expunges all mention of you. They call it a <REDACTED> because that's all that's left to show that its victims even existed.

So they have Thomas Zane? :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

evilmiera posted:

No. We need more awesome warriors with actual personalities fighting for the Clans.

Besides, when has Ceasar ever rescued anyone?

(In this strange new timeline, maybe he'll fare differently?)

Kessel, Giausar, the 14th Battle of Hesperus II?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Oh hey, wow, a ton has happened here while I was busy the past day and a half. I can't say I wasn't hoping Muk would pull through, but given the scenario and the odds, a loss right before the end after poor luck and careful stalling makes a cold, bitter defeat, showing the power of the clans. And we still haven't seen their most obnoxious feature (at least, some of us, including myself.)

Without further delay, I'll throw in my votes, if they're still around:

MVP: Sam because running a long delaying action to try to get the dropship off world was a tough job, and the ploys used made the best of a very brutal scenario. Everyone involved did a great job, baiting the clanners and trying to win, but luck, fluff, and decisions brought it all down on 1 character, who made the best possible choices given a nasty situation.

Clan MVP: Drang showed the best of the clans - skilled warriors with a sense of rules, and enough flexibility to work those rules, along with the ability to pilot machines that punch well above their weight classes. The bizarre admiration, the sticking to the 'Steiner rules', and the offer of surrender all show one expression of the ideals the clans seem to represent. Dusk showed this as well, but she wasn't directly involved in the battle. There's also the fact he drove a HellbringerLucerne, and while I like the NovaThunderchild, I like the other mech a little more. That, and MW Knox was cast to give us a taste of the clan's ugly side.

As far as the political vote, I may as well hop on the A bandwagon. I don't necessarily think this is the smartest choice the character could make, but it seems the most appropriate, and like it would lead to interesting things.

Really, anywhere this thread goes, I'm looking forward to it. The opening scenarios gave a pretty good taste of what was 'normal' before the invasion, but now we're hitting the main event, and with all the results of the votes in, the next scenario could get really crazy depending on how people play with it. It's been my experience that even something subtle like lower light visibility can have a big effect on how different armies perform, as that would handicap units reliant on very long range weaponry... unless someone was willing to spot for the LRMs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just realized: ComStar said anyone who attacks the LC or DC while the Clans are invading gets interdicted, right? So Hanse Davion can clear his Combine border and pull off Operation: Rat, since the Snakes are busy with Clanners. Unless Marik or Davion want to, for some reason, join in, it's nothing but Cappie-bashing for both of them.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

I just realized: ComStar said anyone who attacks the LC or DC while the Clans are invading gets interdicted, right? So Hanse Davion can clear his Combine border and pull off Operation: Rat, since the Snakes are busy with Clanners. Unless Marik or Davion want to, for some reason, join in, it's nothing but Cappie-bashing for both of them.

Hanse doesn't need to waste any units when he has his best agent, Justin Xiang Allard on the job :c00l:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Unless Marik or Davion want to, for some reason, join in, it's nothing but Cappie-bashing for both of them.

Well, on the Marik side of the CC, you got the Caballeros seemingly on the way to gently caress poo poo up.

And somewhere, Zaodai is weeping because of what you've just said.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Weeping? Clearly I eat when I am sad.

I've already resigned myself to the rematch. Maybe I'll get lucky and the Caballeros pilots will be so drunk they miscalculate the jump and end up in the center of a star. Who'll be weeping then? =P

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zaodai posted:

I've already resigned myself to the rematch. Maybe I'll get lucky and the Caballeros pilots will be so drunk they miscalculate the jump and end up in the center of a star. Who'll be weeping then? =P

We will if PTN has to create a scenario based on Far Country.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Nooooo poor house Liao.

This thread is full of Davion loyalists.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Just don't let Colonel Camacho at the controls in his boozed up state, or they will probably end up jumping into a star...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Boogle posted:

We will if PTN has to create a scenario based on Far Country.
You'd have to admit, if Colonel's Comachos made the jump instead of Vost and his losers, the book would have been a lot more...spicy.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You'd have to admit, if Colonel's Comachos made the jump instead of Vost and his losers, the book would have been a lot more...spicy.

spicy as in "These chicken burritos are very spicy"?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mukaikubo posted:

spicy as in "These chicken burritos are very spicy"?
Spicy as in, "Ostrich muppets? Chicken burritos for all!"

"Ole!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mastigophoran posted:

What did that poor microwave ever do to you to deserve such an ignominious death? :ohdear:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Spicy as in, "Ostrich muppets? Chicken burritos for all!"

"Ole!"

You've managed to to move the mental image I have of the Caballeros from being that of drunken mech driving versions of the Frito Bandito to being the family from the Old El Paso taco kit commercials.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Popy posted:

Nooooo poor house Liao.

This thread is full of Davion loyalists.

Davion loyalists? Pah. I'll have you know I'm a partisan for the Free Worlds League, sirrah!

(It's so lonely here on the Marik bandwagon I don't want the fluff to rape me again please Daddy make it stop)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Davion loyalists? Pah. I'll have you know I'm a partisan for the Free Worlds League, sirrah!

(It's so lonely here on the Marik bandwagon I don't want the fluff to rape me again please Daddy make it stop)

You should be glad nobody else is on that bandwagon with you. It would be a shame to see you guys fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

KnoxZone posted:

You should be glad nobody else is on that bandwagon with you. It would be a shame to see you guys fighting.

NO YOU

• Locked thread