Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Here are terrible pictures of what I've been working on the last couple of days, a small marine army. Approximately one tactical squad so far:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I like the robes on the Sergeant dude, looking nice and clean and crisp. Did you freehand the writing on the shoulder pads? That's pretty sweet as well.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Got some more stuff from Poland, when I finish tomorrow I'll take some pictures.

e: lovely cellphone picture

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 19, 2011

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
People hate on Blood Ravens just like they do Ultramarines, but also just like Ultramarines, they look cool as hell when done properly. Good job dude.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Did you freehand the writing on the shoulder pads?

Yup.

Fyrbrand posted:

People hate on Blood Ravens just like they do Ultramarines, but also just like Ultramarines, they look cool as hell when done properly. Good job dude.

Blood Ravens have my favourite red-based scheme. Flesh Tearers are pretty cool too. They're only sort of Blood Ravens though because I'm too lazy to do the raven on every shoulder pad, I did two and it's not worth it. I'm just doing the blood drop and having every model have slightly different shoulder pads so I don't have to worry about making everything exactly the same.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

call them the ravens of blood

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Aranan posted:

So! What solution do you goons use for storing your mans and supplies?

I paint at the game shop mostly so I like to be able to carry my stuff around. I've got a plastic tool box with all my modeling supplies in it. My paints used to fit in the bottom but that's full of basing material now. Models live in their carrying case when I'm not actually painting them.

My brother keeps all of his paints and modeling supplies in this metal cash box. He has a small tool box for his work in progress.

Brodin
Mar 30, 2011
I love me some Blood Ravens, and those ones look especially ace.

No logo tho, which is a shame cus the logo is awesome. That freehand blood drop is amazing however.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoodBee posted:

I paint at the game shop mostly so I like to be able to carry my stuff around. I've got a plastic tool box with all my modeling supplies in it. My paints used to fit in the bottom but that's full of basing material now. Models live in their carrying case when I'm not actually painting them.

My brother keeps all of his paints and modeling supplies in this metal cash box. He has a small tool box for his work in progress.

You guys need to begin stocking these. :ninja:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Got some more stuff from Poland, when I finish tomorrow I'll take some pictures.

e: lovely cellphone picture

Did you get those monowheels and trakks as part of a single order? I was a bit put off on the ebay site by the "3 random selections" line. I'd have bought 10 of these already if I could guarantee I got all wheels.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TastyAvocado posted:

These are really good lookin'. And seconding that robe looking great.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I like the Blood Ravens colour scheme, does that make me bad :ohdear:

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Does anyone have any suggestions for converting some cadian guardsmen into penal legionaries? Right now I just want to convert a couple flamer troops into penal pyromaniacs, and I'm a bit stumped on how to do the explosive collars. So far I'm thinking of using a cadian torso with catachan arms/legs.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^I've seen people use the arms from the Empire Flagellant kit to great effect because of the torn sleeves and shackled wrists.

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I like the Blood Ravens colour scheme, does that make me bad :ohdear:

You monster. :mad:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Still needs a lot of touching up, but how's this for a start on the albino Gor-rok?

It's a combo of Elf Flesh, Ogryn Flesh wash, and Bleached Bone, that I'm not even sure I can pull off again, but I think it's shaping up nicely. The scales will be either White or Bone washed with Sepia.

I'm also thinking of adding a patch of green to his back spikes - looking for albino reptile pics, I found one of an albino gator with algae or moss on its back. According to Gor-rok's fluff, his hobbies include standing motionless on top of a pyramid waiting for the next fight, so I figure he might have a little jungle growth on him.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

theironjef posted:

Did you get those monowheels and trakks as part of a single order? I was a bit put off on the ebay site by the "3 random selections" line. I'd have bought 10 of these already if I could guarantee I got all wheels.

I took a quick look through the bag earlier but I am pretty sure I saw 2 of each of the monowheels (ordered 2 sets) and 1 trakk (ordered one set). There were also some robotic legs but I didn't count them (should be 2 (2 sets 1 per) from the monowheels and 2 (1 set 2 per) with the trakk).

They aren't on sprues though so I was wondering if I contacted them to order some more whether they would let me pick which ones I got. Both of the aforementioned sets are the same price.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Seeing those sweet Blood Ravens reminds me:
Does anyone have a spare robe-hooded space marine head laying about that they'd be willing to give/trade bits for? Send a PM or reply here if you do!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

Seeing those sweet Blood Ravens reminds me:
Does anyone have a spare robe-hooded space marine head laying about that they'd be willing to give/trade bits for? Send a PM or reply here if you do!

I think I've got the one that's bare-headed with a bionic eye. Send me an email at my username at gmail.com.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

TastyAvocado posted:

Here are terrible pictures of what I've been working on the last couple of days, a small marine army. Approximately one tactical squad so far:

These are loving LEGIT. Nice red.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Still needs a lot of touching up, but how's this for a start on the albino Gor-rok?

It's a combo of Elf Flesh, Ogryn Flesh wash, and Bleached Bone, that I'm not even sure I can pull off again, but I think it's shaping up nicely. The scales will be either White or Bone washed with Sepia.

I'm also thinking of adding a patch of green to his back spikes - looking for albino reptile pics, I found one of an albino gator with algae or moss on its back. According to Gor-rok's fluff, his hobbies include standing motionless on top of a pyramid waiting for the next fight, so I figure he might have a little jungle growth on him.

Mix a little baal red with ogryn flesh and wash it again. Albinos have pink undertones to their skin caused by a lack of melanin, so their skin's only coloration comes from the red of their blood and muscle showing through the skin.

PaintVagrant posted:

These are loving LEGIT. Nice red.

what he said

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

bhsman posted:

I think I've got the one that's bare-headed with a bionic eye. Send me an email at my username at gmail.com.

I didn't know they had a bare-headed hooded one. I'm actually looking for one with a helmet though, but thank you for the quick response; making an all-plastic Salamander's librarian, and all I need is a head.

I just want a little head! :ironicat:

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!
Does anyone know where I can find some example colour pallets? Specifically I'm after an Ice themed pallet.

Also have some WIP pics of a Nurgle daemon prince and Abbadon:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What the christ is going on in those last couple pics? It's something magical.

Wait. Are you doing a 54mm scale marine with a smaller marine strapped to its backpack? :aaa:

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!
Yes. Yes I am.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
poo poo. That IS magical.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The first of three Craigslisted Land Speeders is ready for twin-linked duty:

I look forward to blowing up Phyresis' Razorbacks soon.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
Thanks for the nice posts about my Lizardmen, I worked my rear end off on them and I'm quite proud of them!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my WIP skeletons for my vampire counts:

I'm quite happy wiht them but I'm not too sold on the Ice Blue colour theme and the grey bases, it just looks a bit boring. I was thinking maybe changing from ice blue to a dark angels green or scab red. The red is a bit too common for VC armies though so that's why I originally went for the ice blue.

The other choice is leave the colours as they are but move away from the grey and snow base to maybe a brown or green one.

I'm not very good with colour theory but I really think these could be a bit more eye catching, any ideas?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Reginald Garibaldi posted:

Does anyone know where I can find some example colour pallets? Specifically I'm after an Ice themed pallet.

Also have some WIP pics of a Nurgle daemon prince and Abbadon:

That is a loving amazing DP. Get better shots of Abbadon though.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ApocalypseMeow posted:

Thanks for the nice posts about my Lizardmen, I worked my rear end off on them and I'm quite proud of them!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my WIP skeletons for my vampire counts:

I'm quite happy wiht them but I'm not too sold on the Ice Blue colour theme and the grey bases, it just looks a bit boring. I was thinking maybe changing from ice blue to a dark angels green or scab red. The red is a bit too common for VC armies though so that's why I originally went for the ice blue.

The other choice is leave the colours as they are but move away from the grey and snow base to maybe a brown or green one.

I'm not very good with colour theory but I really think these could be a bit more eye catching, any ideas?

You should give a warm brown base a try. With a slight orange tone but without being too bright it'd stop the unit from being just cold.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ApocalypseMeow posted:

The ice blue is awesome, don't mess with it. It's a perfect amount of color on them in a kind of ghostly way. I agree with chelsea clinton, try a different color on the bases first. I was going to suggest a dark brown (graveyard earth) with some lighter highlights (bestial brown).

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
Thanks very much, will pick up a bunch of different browns after work (and who am I kidding, probably more plastic guys)!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

The first of three Craigslisted Land Speeders is ready for twin-linked duty:

I look forward to blowing up Phyresis' Razorbacks soon.

:hellyeah: Slamders. Looking good man.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ApocalypseMeow posted:

I also like the ice blue, makes them looks like frozen viking skeletons from the frosty north. Those minis have an excellent "cold" feel to them for me.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
SNEAK PEEK AT WHAT I'M PAINTING*

*Also known as "critique me so far"

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Just wanting to add another vote for kepping the ice blue color. Those guys look badass, just do a different base and you will be golden.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Northrend seems like an appropriate place for them, too.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Agreed with above posters. The blue is awesome.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I think the same bright blue on the base would work too, especially if they were done in an ice theme. Changing to brown or anything else will take away from that. But I don't know what you are going after.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Reginald Garibaldi posted:

GBS demon prince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Trying to paint a bright gold for my sanguinary guard, recommendations?
Current plan is airbrush shining gold, wash with gryphonne sepia, burnished gold then burnished + mithril highlights. Other idea was chainmail or mithril airbrushed on, then washed with either ogryn flesh or sepia.

• Locked thread