Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

Alright, so apparently people are getting their PS3 controllers to work in San Andreas by making them emulate a 360 controller, but is there any way to get an actual 360 controller to work properly? I tried to set up my wired controller and neither analog trigger is registered by the game, and neither is the d-pad. I mean, I guess I could set it up for the most basic of controls and leave out the radio station switching or whatever, but I'd like to get all buttons working so it controls more like the PS2 version.

You can try using the set up in this link:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848465

But I am assuming the second analog stick works properly? If it does, I would just use Zedd suggestion since that would work way faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

bort posted:

Try this: http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/game/guide/gtasa

I wrote that button setup and it was working for me. I don't recall if the right stick worked properly or not, but I used it to 100% GTA III.

Thank you so much! This works great!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Google San Andreas Advanced Control. Its a mod that I think allows you to use the right stick with your controllers. It was the closest thing I got to having a good control scheme in GTA SA.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What's wrong with kbm? Suprisingly, once I got used to it, I'm driving better than I ever did in the ps2 versions of GTA3, VC and SA.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Zedd posted:

GTA discussions after IV came out always make me feel like I am weird for loving both the GTA3/VC/SA and IV/TLaD/BoGT era equally; they are just different takes on the same formula and both of the "sets" have things they do better then the other.
You're not alone. I enjoyed all of them and don't really feel the need to bear the mark of one tribe or another.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
One thing that I think would've helped a major issue in GTA:SA was if CJ's brother was obstensibly a 'good' person. All his bullshit talk about doing things for the hood, remembering about the hood etc would've been way more palatable if it didn't come from an Ice-Cube knockoff. He can be the Angel on CJ's shoulder, trying to steer him right.

As it is in the game you pretty much amass millions, and your rear end in a top hat of a brother can't stop crying about the hood.

Apart from that I'm loving San Andreas again. I don't think there's been a better opening to a game than just riding along those Los Santos streets on a crappy bike. It's an oddly poignant opening.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think there's been a better opening to a game than just riding along those Los Santos streets on a crappy bike. It's an oddly poignant opening.

That reminds me, the bicycle was pretty fun to drive with especially with your stamina/speed maxed out. You could do these sweet stunts and even jump onto roof tops and over cars etc. They need to bring that back in the next GTA.

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005

GyverMac posted:

That reminds me, the bicycle was pretty fun to drive with especially with your stamina/speed maxed out. You could do these sweet stunts and even jump onto roof tops and over cars etc. They need to bring that back in the next GTA.

Hell, they need to implement it into GTA4.

"Time to Bunny-Hop dis car! ... OH SHEEEEET"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Himuro posted:

What's wrong with kbm? Suprisingly, once I got used to it, I'm driving better than I ever did in the ps2 versions of GTA3, VC and SA.

It feels like poo poo and is unintuitive probably because of the digital aspect of the keyboard.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Da Chomptroller posted:

Thank you so much! This works great!
The one problem: if you upgrade or reinstall MotionInJoy, you'll have to input the button setup again. It's supposed to be exportable, but that functionality doesn't work, or didn't when I tried it.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Knightmare posted:

The triggers are great for driving, you can adjust throttle so much better than a face button. If face buttons were your only options where you basically have a choice between 0% throttle and 100% throttle, it would've been disastrous. Most racing games are played with triggers I believe.

True, but with GTAIV they aren't as sensitive. In SA for the PS2 you could adjust throttle with a face button quite easily, but in GTA IV the triggers just add to the control delay of the whole game.

ShineDog posted:

Whats.. wrong with the triggers for driving? That's been the driving game standard since the dreamcast, and making the bumper shoot in vehicles is a pretty inspired way to give you camera, steering, and speed control without needing finger gymnastics.

The triggers aren't sensitive enough, and the targeting system while driving needs some serious work because it's not exact enough either. The controller setup for this game just leaves a lot to be desired.

Cojawfee posted:

I think I found the reason why you can't drive the cars right. I'm assuming you are trying to drive like you did in the GTAIII games where you mash a button and go. The triggers are analog, don't mash on them. If you treat them like pedals you will be able to drive a lot better. You have to actually brake before corners.

I prefer the driving of GTAIV, mainly because I like to just drive around the city. I couldn't do that in in the other games, you have to be at full throttle all the time. Except for san andreas where I used some controller mod that allowed me to use, guess what, the triggers for acceleration and it was even better. Arcade driving was fun, but that was for the arcade GTAs of that era. Rockstar has chosen a new direction and crying about it isn't going to change anything.

I don't know why people keep saying they fixed driving in the DLCs. It feels the same as it did in the original game. All they fixed were bikes because they were so easy to fall off of in GTAIV.

I respectfully disagree: if I wanted to just drive around in a game, I'd get something besides GTA IV. I'm not looking for a realistic driving stimulator, I'm looking for a GTA game. I appreciate what they tried to do, but I don't think it worked. It just made driving a chore and really eliminated the joy of driving.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The thing I hated about GTA 4 was that the gun fighting felt like poo poo. Red Dead Redemption was much better in that aspect.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

blackguy32 posted:

It feels like poo poo and is unintuitive probably because of the digital aspect of the keyboard.

I'm just really used d-pads, I guess.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Only problem with GTA IV gunfights were that they were too easy.

Get a clock and pop some heads and you are set. Only guys that will give you problems are armoured ones, even they go fast when shot in the head.

I also love the driving in GTA IV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HouhbrQ8k0

Awesome poo poo like that happens all the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

Apart from that I'm loving San Andreas again. I don't think there's been a better opening to a game than just riding along those Los Santos streets on a crappy bike. It's an oddly poignant opening.

Every time I replay SA, I get sad when it's time to leave Los Santos. The "countryside" portion of the game is just... weird. I'll grant you that Woozy is one of the best characters in any GTA game ever, but at the same time, the two races against him (ONE MORE TIME! BACKWARDS! :suicide: ) are balls-rear end annoying until you memorize the course.

Then you have the really weird "CJ randomly decides to hook up with a psychotic woman" missions, which just plain don't make much sense at all, though I suppose the point might have been "Hey remember GTA3" since Claude is there and all.

Dennis Hopper's missions are pretty fun, though, especially the last one.

But then you're dumped in San Fierro, which is a disappointingly poor version of San Francisco. Or, rather, is a good recreation of a very small part of what is already a very small city - I can walk from the middle of the Mission to the top of Haight (the Park entrance) at 3 AM drunk off my rear end, which I do at least once a week, in like, an hour, and that's essentially equivalent to "walking across the entire city". I would've much preferred they include the Mission and Oakland than even having the "country" area.

And then you have that god loving drat RC plane mission which God help you if you have a copy of the game that came out before it was "fixed". I would love to go back in time and watch myself beat that mission when the game was released, because I know I did, but I can't imagine how.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

precision posted:

And then you have that god loving drat RC plane mission which God help you if you have a copy of the game that came out before it was "fixed". I would love to go back in time and watch myself beat that mission when the game was released, because I know I did, but I can't imagine how.

I remember it too well. I literally was reduced to tears of frustration, just outright sobbing in anger. I was like, 16. Only time that's ever happened to me.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

precision posted:

Dennis Hopper's missions are pretty fun, though, especially the last one.
Peter Fonda :eng101:

(the other guy in Easy Rider)

The RC plane is the worst. Honorable mention are the RC races in Vice City/Liberty City Stories. I'd rather do Paramedic twice.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
two of my friends actually had me come over to beat that rc plane mission for them :smug:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I guess Ill try to beat San Andreas for the 4th time. Everytime I play it, I get to San Fierro and something happens and I have to start all over. I wish there were mods that would help me get to where I was before.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bort posted:

Peter Fonda :eng101:

(the other guy in Easy Rider)

Holy crap. I've been under the impression this entire time that Hopper came back and did that role. I fail at everything, because I'm a huge fan of Easy Rider and Hopper in general ("Heineken? gently caress THAT poo poo.")

Speaking of Peter Fonda, I just saw this:

quote:

On January 13, 2011, Los Angeles police say actor Fonda discovered a dead body in a car and they are investigating the death. The actor called 911 after he spotted a car parked on the side of Sunset Boulevard.

:ohdear:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DrVenkman posted:

There's also the fact that you start out in the Ballas' territory, and if you happen to run into them on the way they'll start getting up in your face and talking down about Grove Street. And there's nothing you can do about it either, since you start out unarmed and skinny, you can't fight, and the only thing you have to drive is a bicycle. You have this gangster, who is obviously well-known enough for the Ballas to recognize him, riding around on a little bike and getting insulted by a rival gang and all he can do is suck it up and go home.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I like doing drive-bys on the bicycle and dinging the bell before or after shooting.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Of course! My rule is that it's completely within my rights to run over someone or crash into another car as long as I've honked first to give them some warning.

Tewratomeh posted:

and all he can do is suck it up and go home.
Well, to be fair, he then gets the brass knuckles from under the bridge and the pistol from behind the neighbor's house and the Tek-9 from on top of his brother's house and the Micro SMG and some body armor from the aqueduct behind his home and begins a deadly rampage.

e: dammit, I need to stop reading this thread. I have to finish GTA:LCS, not go back to San Andreas.

bort fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 19, 2011

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

organburner posted:

Get a clock and pop some heads and you are set. Only guys that will give you problems are armoured ones, even they go fast when shot in the head.

Heh. "Clock".

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Lurchibles posted:

It's fun when you try to turn really tight corners and smack into a group of pedestrians.

I do that all the time anyway, bare rims or not...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

mutata posted:

Heh. "Clock".

I just see Niko ducking behind a car with a clock, looking confused. "How does this work, cah-zin?"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I just see Niko ducking behind a car with a clock, looking confused. "How does this work, cah-zin?"

Roman is busy throwing stray felines at gangsters, in an effort to pop a cat in their asses.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Screw you guys, the clock is the best weapon in the game.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

organburner posted:

How do you kill people with a clock? The only clock that I can think of right now is this one: http://donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/T.T.

You don't want to gently caress with him, he'll kill your entire family.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I was thinking more along the lines of a grandfather clock.

Swinging that around, hitting peoples heads....

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I loaded up GTA IV to finally finish it, and for some reason the sound is all fuzzy and crackly now. Anybody know what might be causing this? I've tried googling to no avail.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

True, but with GTAIV they aren't as sensitive. In SA for the PS2 you could adjust throttle with a face button quite easily, but in GTA IV the triggers just add to the control delay of the whole game.

The triggers aren't sensitive enough, and the targeting system while driving needs some serious work because it's not exact enough either. The controller setup for this game just leaves a lot to be desired.

Whaaa.

You know how every racing game ever uses the triggers these days? It's because they are far more precise than using analogue facebuttons, because it's far easier to judge distance than pressure. (both have 256 level sensitivity)

The face buttons were famously hard to judge (although it was never an issue in GTA3-SA because it boiled down to "slow or fast" and the handling did not require nuance.) and theres a reason that the current generation consoles have both gone for squishy triggers. They are flat out better for driving games.

Theres a TON of input lag in GTA4, the face buttons wouldn't be any more responsive for driving if it's response times and not fidelity that are bugging you.

The targetting system while driving sucks because GTA4s aiming is fussy and laggy and terrible all round, it's not the combat control layout.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you revert to classic?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Have a question regarding sprinting in GTA4.

I switch sprinting over to toggle as I hate having to tap shift over and over again. The problem is, I can't run from cops. When they get close Niko just stands there and never runs. This drives me crazy as it's pretty much game over if a cop ever goes near me.

Is there a way to fix this? Or will I be forced to switch sprint over to hold?

Apologies if the someone already answered previously in the thread.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I love all GTA games almost equally. My main issue with IV though is that there are no checkpoints during long missions. I still haven't finished the final mission as I keep loving up the bike part. Goddamn it's frustrating.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The bike part, hmm... The only time I screwed that up was when I went over the first jump and the bike randomly flipped over forwards and I fell off, and in my panicked keyboard mashing :f5: the guy on the boat got away.

Don't just mash the gas the whole time on that part, UNTIL you get to the last tight bend around the boulders. Make good driving your priority til that part because it's more of a problem if you crash than if you drive too slow. But when you get to that turn past the boulders, take the turn as tightly as you can so you've got a straight shot off the jump on the shore, and mash the gas.

You'll get a cutscene with Niko catching the side of the helicopter, then you'll mash some buttons quickly, kinda like lifting weights in San Andreas, to climb up onto the helicopter, then you'll fly that and attack the boat. It'll blow up at the same time regardless of how much damage you've done to it, but only if you've damaged it - I can't fly worth a crap, let alone actually aim the thing, and in a random burst of gunfire I must have hit the boat as the helicopter tipped and yawed, then out of nowhere I get a cutscene with the boat crashing next to the Statue of Happiness where it's really easy to finish off.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Red_Fred posted:

I love all GTA games almost equally. My main issue with IV though is that there are no checkpoints during long missions. I still haven't finished the final mission as I keep loving up the bike part. Goddamn it's frustrating.

When I played it with a 360 pad I just couldn't do this bit! Mouse and Keyboard actually made it easier instead of harder... Very backwards.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My first time doing the bike part in GTA IV, I actually went through the guys guarding the ramp off the beach. For some reason I thought you were meant to go up to street level to jump onto the... boat or... helicopter or something. But nope, I just wound up driving aimlessly until I flipped my bike and the boat got away.

Once I realized where to go it wasn't that much of a problem.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Was it ever revealed what was in that box Donald Love had in GTA3?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Crappy Jack posted:

Roman is busy throwing stray felines at gangsters, in an effort to pop a cat in their asses.

"After this is over cahseen, let us go look at giant fake American kitties!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Doppelganger posted:

Was it ever revealed what was in that box Donald Love had in GTA3?

In Liberty City Stories he's revealed to be a cannibal, there's a mission where you steal corpses for him

• Locked thread