Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dameius posted:

Speaking of Conservapedia, their best article has to be the one on evolution. I'm not really sure what segment is the best one to highlight but if I had to pick it would be everything past and including the section titled: Creation Scientists Tend to Win the Creation-Evolution Debates. Really puts the cognitive dissonance and blatant rewriting of reality to fit their own beliefs on display.

Thing is, "creation scientists" do win the debates. Creationists pack the audience with their own, spew forth dozens and dozens of compelling problems with evolution, and refuse to engage their opponents on a factual level, instead successfully painting evolutionists as arrogant, mean, and dogmatic. If you don't have some science training and critical thinking skills, that's a rhetorical knockout.

See http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/debating-creationists.html.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think Conservapedia has blocked non-US users from even accessing the site. It's really for the better sort of people who have the good sense to live in America.

How often do they do that? I used to be able to access them from the UK. Looks like I'll have to resort to the Daily Mail for my regularly doses of angertainment.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

hatersg2haet posted:

Some of the stuff is true some is bullshit.

Africa's population size having nothing to do with the poverty and famine there are completely true. Also the fact that we grow more food than humans can eat.

The problem is transportation which is not only expensive but unfeasible.
Oh, I'm well aware that there are truths buried in there amongst the crap. However, it's pretty obvious that everything on that site is being viewed through the anti-abortion lens, having started at the conclusion and working their way backwards while ignoring the other factors that make their ideas impossible.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Even though it stars conservative blowhard Kelsey Grammar, The Pentagon Wars is pretty much a completely factual look at defense aquisition. I'm not sure why Grammar was in it, I guess his "gently caress the government" conservative mentality overrode his "UNF MILITARY BONER!!" one.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I hadn't seen this one yet!

quote:

Well, boys and girls, today the fox is guarding the hen house.
The wolves will be herding the sheep!

Obama appointed two devout Muslims to homeland security posts.

Obama and Janet Napolitano appointed Arif Alikhan, a devout Muslim, as Assistant Secretary for Policy Development.

DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano swore-in Kareem Shora, a devout Muslim, who was born in Damascus, Syria,
as ADC National Executive Director
as a member of the Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC).

NOTE: Has anyone ever heard a new government official being identified as a devout Catholic, a devout Jew,
or a devout Protestant...? Just wondering....

Devout Muslims being appointed to
critical Homeland Security positions?

Doesn't this make you feel safer already?
That should make our home land much safer, huh!?

Was it not "devout Muslim men" that flew planes into U.S. buildings 8 1/2 years ago?

Was it not a devout Muslim who killed 13 at Fort Hood?

Please forward this important information to any who
cares about the future of our Country.
Checked this on Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/dhs.asp <http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/dhs.asp>

--
May God bless and keep you!

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Aliquid posted:

I like how it uses its own phrasing "Obama appointed two devout Muslims..." to further enrage the half-wit recipients via "NOTE: Has anyone ever heard a new government official being identified as a devout Catholic, a devout Jew,
or a devout Protestant...? Just wondering...."

Thats some Fox News tactics there.

tek79 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 18, 2011

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea, George W. Bush was a devout Christian. There, now I have heard of someone saying stupid things.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Spatial posted:

Not by a long shot. They ban any IP address range thought to be inhabited primarily by undesirables. Universities, ISPs, even entire countries.

[Click for big]

Please tell me they're blocking Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How often do they do that? I used to be able to access them from the UK. Looks like I'll have to resort to the Daily Mail for my regularly doses of angertainment.
They didn't ban countries from reading the Wiki, but editing it.

/edit: Nope, I was wrong. I can't access Conservapedia either :psyduck:

Angry Avocado fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 18, 2011

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Grem posted:

Yea, George W. Bush was a devout Christian. There, now I have heard of someone saying stupid things.

But have you heard him being called a devout Catholic, Jew, or Protestant?

Check and mate :smug:

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Dr Christmas posted:

But have you heard him being called a devout Catholic?

What do you think he's running, the Supreme Court :laugh:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

tek79 posted:

I like how it uses its own phrasing "Obama appointed two devout Muslims..." to further enrage the half-wit recipients via "NOTE: Has anyone ever heard a new government official being identified as a devout Catholic, a devout Jew,
or a devout Protestant...? Just wondering...."

Thats some Fox News tactics there.

Have they forgotten JFK and Adam Smith?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Aliquid posted:

There's probably a way here to explain to the sender the importance of white privilege (i.e. the right to be Christian without otherization) but I'm sure I'd never have the tact to do so.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This isn't exactly email or family but does anyone ever try to be dunk the bullshit spewed on their local news sites? I've spent a few hours now debunking the Obama brazil oil deal crap that is getting spread around. First I linked snipes which is now apparently liberally biased so then I went to actual press releases but it seems like people don't understand that the us invests in other countries companies just like other countries invest in our companies.

Does anyone else ever even try, if only with the hope that you change even one persons mind?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I checked the past 10 pages and didn't see anything similar to this email I was just forwarded by my 81 year old grandfather:

gramps posted:

SOME OF YOU WILL APPRECIATE THIS AND SOME OF YOU WILL NOT.

I DO NOT APOLOGIZE FOR SENDING THIS BECAUSE ALL OF IT IS TRUE.

If any other of our presidents had doubled the national debt, which had taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year, would you have approved?

If any other of our presidents had then proposed to double the debt again within 10 years, would you have approved?

If any other of our presidents had criticized a state law that he admitted he never even read, would you think that he is just an ignorant hot head?

If any other of our presidents joined the country of Mexico and sued a state in the United States to force that state to continue to allow illegal immigration, would you question his patriotism and wonder who's side he was on?

If any other of our presidents had pronounced the Marine Corps like Marine Corpse, would you think him an idiot?

If any other of our presidents had put 87,000 workers out of work by arbitrarily placing a moratorium on offshore oil drilling on companies that have one of the best safety records of any industry because one foreign company had an accident, would you have agreed?

If any other of our presidents had used a forged document as the basis of the moratorium that would render 87000 American workers unemployed would you support him?

If any other of our presidents had been the first President to need a Teleprompter installed to be able to get through a press conference, would you have laughed and said this is more proof of how inept he is on his own and is really controlled by smarter men behind the scenes?

If any other of our presidents had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to take his First Lady to a play in NYC, would you have approved?

If any other of our presidents had reduced your retirement plan holdings of GM stock by 90% and given the unions a majority stake in GM, would you have approved?

If any other of our presidents had made a joke at the expense of the Special Olympics, would you have approved?

If any other of our presidents had given Gordon Brown a set of inexpensive and incorrectly formatted DVDs, when Gordon Brown had given him a tho ughtful and historically significant gift, would you have approved?

If any other of our presidents had given the Queen of England an iPod containing videos of his speeches, would you have thought it a proud moment for America ?

If any other of our presidents had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia , would you have approved?

If any other of our presidents had visited Austria and made reference to the nonexistent "Austrian language," would you have brushed it off as a minor slip?

If any other of our presidents had filled his cabinet and circle of advisers with people who cannot seem to keep current in their income taxes, would you have approved?

If any other of our presidents had stated that there were 57 states in the United States , wouldn't you have had second thoughts about his capabilities?

If any other of our presidents would have flown all the way to Denmark to make a five minute speech about how the Olympics would benefit him walking out his front door in his home town, would you not have thought he was a self important, conceited, egotistical jerk.

If any other of our presidents had been so Spanish illiterate as to refer to "Cinco de Cuatro" in front of the Mexican ambassador when it was the 5th of May (Cinco de Mayo), and continued to flub it when he tried again, wouldn't you have winced in embarrassment?

If any other of our presidents had burned 9,000 gallons of jet fuel to go plant a single tree on Earth Day, would you have concluded he's a hypocrite?

If any other of our presidents' administrations had okayed Air Force One flying low over millions of people followed by a jet fighter in downtown Manhattan causing widespread panic, would you have wondered whether they actually get what happened on 9-11?

If any other of our presidents had failed to send relief aid to flood victims throughout the Midwest with more people killed or made homeless than in New Orleans , would you want it made into a major ongoing political issue with claims of racism and incompetence?

If any other of our presidents had created the position of 32 Czars who report directly to him, bypassing the House and Senate on much of what is happening in America , would you have ever approved.

If any other of our presidents had ordered the firing of the CEO of a major corporation, even though he had no constitutional authority to do so, would you have approved?

So, tell me again, what is it about Obama that makes him so brilliant and impressive?

Can't think of anything? Don't worry. He's done all this in 21 months -- so you have that much time to come up with an answer.

Every statement and action in this email is factual and directly attributable to Barrack Hussein Obama. Every bumble is a matter of record and completely verifiable .

I WONDER HOW MANY OF YOU WILL FORWARD THIS ?
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Pretty much your standard fare of misinformation, muddling context and straight up lies. I was happy to see, however, that there wasn't any birther poo poo mixed in with the rest of the spite. For a moment I half wanted to do a reply all with line by line refutations but :effort:, plus like I said he's 81 and probably will be dead within two years.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I thought "If any other of our presidents had used a forged document as the basis of the moratorium that would render 87000 American workers unemployed would you support him?" was meant to be a wink and a nudge toward birthers, am I wrong?

But at least the e-mail is completely honest, no one is actually being accused, I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS OVER HERE

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

I thought "If any other of our presidents had used a forged document as the basis of the moratorium that would render 87000 American workers unemployed would you support him?" was meant to be a wink and a nudge toward birthers, am I wrong?

Oh, I suppose it could be. Still that's a hell of a wink :psyduck:

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
My dad sent me a wonderful link today about educators hitting "paydirt" with pensions. There were a few that did in fact cash in decades worth of vacation time and sick days to inflate their last few years of income (and what your pension is based off of), but the loophole has since been closed. Why act like it is proof that all teachers make too much?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thenipwax posted:

My dad sent me a wonderful link today about educators hitting "paydirt" with pensions. There were a few that did in fact cash in decades worth of vacation time and sick days to inflate their last few years of income (and what your pension is based off of), but the loophole has since been closed. Why act like it is proof that all teachers make too much?

This isn't something that just teachers did, my dad did this too. He worked for the utility company though. Ironically he is hardcore conservative but well protected by his union. He just retired after 27 years with a great pension. Fairly certain he makes more than any teacher in the city he worked in though.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

How are u posted:

If any other of our presidents had been the first President to need a Teleprompter installed to be able to get through a press conference, would you have laughed and said this is more proof of how inept he is on his own and is really controlled by smarter men behind the scenes?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't a teleprompter for a press conference pretty much impossible?

Edit: I mean in the sense that reporters ask questions.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They're still pushing the teleprompter thing after Bachmann's State of the Union thing?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

tek79 posted:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't a teleprompter for a press conference pretty much impossible?

Edit: I mean in the sense that reporters ask questions.

Yes, and Obama is also not the first President to use teleprompters for speeches, and it's arguable that he "needs" them to get through one. But OBAMMER TELEPROMPTER is a meme so it gets repeated in various versions.

It's also sad that people don't know the difference between fact and opinion. "Obama needs a teleprompter to get through a press conference" is not a fact for like 4 different reasons.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

quote:

If any of our presidents...

I don't think he's singling out Obama here. A lot of that stuff applies to many of our presidents, or equivalent situations. I think this dude's on the right track; all presidents are total poo poo, gently caress America. Burn a flag, old dude! :hellyeah:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Tigntink posted:

Ironically he is hardcore conservative but well protected by his union.

Hey that's shocking. I'm sure he earned his through hard work though, right?

It's also pretty shocking how much conservative thought in the US really does boil down to gently caress you got mine.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tried to read through the thread, but does anyone have a Left Leaning chain email? If so, can you show me? If not, is there a reason for this? Are all the Left just geniuses that don't fall for the chain emails, or what is going on here?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Jastiger posted:

Tried to read through the thread, but does anyone have a Left Leaning chain email? If so, can you show me? If not, is there a reason for this? Are all the Left just geniuses that don't fall for the chain emails, or what is going on here?

I find dumb left-leaning things get propagated through Facebook statuses more than through chain emails. I think maybe it's because FWD: FWD: FWD: poo poo is not how anyone communicates anymore, and so the only people that do are older, and older people are much more likely to be conservatives.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo
Do you have any examples of stupid facebook stuff like that? Because maybe I just know smart people there (which is loving unlikely given my friends)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Younger people don't use chain e-mails, it's as simple as that. They use hip things like Twitter and Bookface

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Man, Obama was lucky to escape impeachment or even nuclear war in the aftermath of giving those Region 1 DVDs to Gordon Brown. Worst president ever.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

perianwyr posted:

Do you have any examples of stupid facebook stuff like that? Because maybe I just know smart people there (which is loving unlikely given my friends)

I don't, off the top of my head, because most of my friends on facebook are not crazy people, and the ones that are (ie, family) are crazy in the right-wing way. I have one crazy leftwing political friend but his updates are generally pretty sane even if his actual beliefs may not be.

I'm sure a little work with some talking points on that site that lets you search public facebook statuses (openbook?) would turn up some.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

During the debate about the Wisconsin teacher's union issues, I had a friend who posted a Facebook status message that tried to correlate SAT scores by state with union-involvement by state (higher scores in states with unions, lower scores in ones that didn't allow/mandate unions). I did some research and found that SAT scores was actually more correlated to SAT Participation rates by state (less than 10% of students take the SAT in Wisconsin) and posted a response saying so (while mentioning that I supported the teacher's union). She replied back thanking me for my post, and 'liked' my comment.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I have, through Facebook, a friend who I've never met, but is an old hippie. Like 70, super left, and he's past the point of actually thinking about his views anymore. It's literally just my-side-versus-theirs. Every news event is directly related to the Koch Brothers, with or without any evidence. I eventually blocked his updates, because while I generally agree, the way he goes about it is the same as crazy forwarded emails. I've posted several times about this guy.

Basically, what annoyed the poo poo out of me was when the Gabriella Giffords shooting occurred, he was right there linking and posting constantly about how Jared Loughner was a direct tool of Palin, and posting supposed pictures of Loughner's voter registration card saying "Republican". I think I posted it in this thread, but someone pointed out it had photoshop meta tags, and "Tucson" was misspelled. I told him it was a photoshop and explained why, and he got indignant and said it didn't prove Loughner's NOT a Republican.

So, yeah, there are crazy left poo poo, and there have been several posted in this thread, but they're definitely a minority.

For crazy left poo poo, see Daily Kos. And about a third of the time, Mediamatters.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I must be lucky. The closest thing I got to a crazy conservative thing appearing on my Facebook was someone excited about Jon McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Finally something to put in this thread:

DadEmail posted:

To all,

This email is a copy of one I sent to a friend and there are not more up to date statistics yet.

Just a few figures and points to put things in perspective (based on 2008 data – last released by IRS and directly from the IRS site)

1. Middle class – If we define it to be the middle ½ of all wage earners then the poor is the bottom quarter and the rich is the upper quarter. Where do you think you fall?

a. Well 24.9% of all returns (this includes couples filing on a single return) had income of less than $15,000. This group paid a total of 0.2% of all paid income tax (not collected since most is returned as refunds). In fact 24.8 million tax filing family units paid no tax or got back more money (from credits) than they paid.

b. The middle half went up to $75,000 with 77.2% of all returns having income less than this amount. So the middle half is family income between $15,000 and $75,000. This group paid the next 16.3% of all paid income tax.

c. The rich that the politicians are talking about is the 22.8% who had family income above $75,000. This group paid the rest, 83.5% of all paid income tax. The top 10% had family incomes of $113,799 or more.

i. The group between rich ($75,000) and mega rich ($1,000,000 or more) paid 59.4% of all taxes.

ii. The top 2% had family incomes of $1,000,000 or more (mega rich) and paid 24.1% of all income tax. Just a side note over 1/8th of them live in CA.

So when a politician tells you the rich will pay remember that is your parents if you are young and it is probably you if you are not young or if you are married. If the government collected 100% of the income earned by the top 10% of the population it would not cover our present deficit.

It won’t work to tax corporation either as they just pass the cost on to the consumers, that’s us in case you were wondering because the rest of the world isn’t buying the product if you make it more expensive by adding taxes their corporations do not pay. That is why Halliburton, Accenture, Ingersoll-Rand, Foster Wheeler, Tyco, Cooper Industries, Nobel Drilling, Global Grossing, Seagate, Nabors, GE Healthcare just to mention a few have moved their corporate headquarters overseas.

As a country we are going bankrupt, driving out our businesses (and jobs) and hoping people want to continue buying our debt (47% owned outside the US) even though S&P just downgraded it. We have the ego of thinking we will always be the economic super power. 2000 years ago it was the Romans who ruled the world and controlled a much greater share of the wealth of the world than we ever did. Too long ago for you, how about a country that ruled over one quarter of the population and 22% of the arable land in the world and whose currency was the standard of the day in 1922. This was their second try at building an empire, the first lasted almost two hundred years and collapsed in 1783 shortly after our independence. That right it is the British, in less than 90 years they have fallen from the mightiest superpower to the 9th largest economy (not bad), the 79th largest controlled land area, the 183rd fastest growth in GDP (they won’t be 9th for long), the 36th richest earnings population (measured by GDP per capita). My how the mighty have fallen and we are following in their footsteps. It can happen here.

This is not a political debate it is economic reality, spending needs to be controlled! Vote FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Oh God no, don't let us end up like the British. What those peasants do in those godforsaken hellholes of islands can scarcely be called "living" by any rational being.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

What's mind boggling to me, is that he sees what he takes as fact, and the problem he points out doesn't start with the fact that a quarter of the people FILING make less than 15,000 a year.

Also, he's completely ignoring reality. He's arbitrarily picking out a convenient label of "rich" at 75k+ while most tax rate increases being proposed generally start at 250k+, well over 3 times as much money.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I've been seeing this pop up other places too. The template seems to be "Even if we took <liberal idea> to the theoretical maximum it wouldn't be enough to fix the budget!" I saw it applied to military spending on slashdot. "Even if we cut all funding to the military it wouldn't fix the national debt!"

They conveniently ignore that liberals propose doing numerous things to a reasonable degree, rather than one thing to the extreme.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

nsaP posted:

Finally something to put in this thread:

Assuming those numbers are correct (and I wonder how different these numbers would be if we looked at overall tax burden rather than just income tax): Point out to him that the top 20% own about 85% of America's wealth. The fact that they're paying about that proportion (less, even) in taxes is hardly shocking. e: You might also note that the bottom 40% own 0.2% of the wealth, while according to that email it's the bottom 25% that pay 0.2% of the taxes. Sounds like the poor are getting shafted.

And what's with the aside, "Just a side note over 1/8th of them live in CA." I don't get the point of that, nor is it surprising: 1/8 of everyone in the US lives in CA.

Edit: Somehow I just noticed the apparent solution to this is for us to become an imperialist power that takes over other parts of the world to enslave them and siphon off their resources. Niiice.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 20, 2011

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

TerminalSaint posted:

I've been seeing this pop up other places too. The template seems to be "Even if we took <liberal idea> to the theoretical maximum it wouldn't be enough to fix the budget!" I saw it applied to military spending on slashdot. "Even if we cut all funding to the military it wouldn't fix the national debt!"

They conveniently ignore that liberals propose doing numerous things to a reasonable degree, rather than one thing to the extreme.

There's also often a heavy conflation of deficit/budget and debt. Debt won't be 'fixed' in a single year no matter what you do, the deficit could be. Ofcourse, given the economic situation, it's not really desirable to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Miss Fats posted:

What's mind boggling to me, is that he sees what he takes as fact, and the problem he points out doesn't start with the fact that a quarter of the people FILING make less than 15,000 a year.

Also, he's completely ignoring reality. He's arbitrarily picking out a convenient label of "rich" at 75k+ while most tax rate increases being proposed generally start at 250k+, well over 3 times as much money.
There's also the logical problem of assuming that everyone reading the email belongs in the top quartile of income and acting like they're all poor put-upon everymen at the same time.