Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorusTheAvenger
Nov 7, 2005
Teksavvy Cable reports as available for my downtown Waterloo postal code now. I'm debating if it's worth switching now that Bell's trying to lay low. Anyone able to comment on the performance difference of Teksavvy's ml-pppoe DSL vs Cable in Waterloo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I've been using http://www.usvideo.org to proxy US Netflix ever since someone mentioned it in the Toronto thread. It's been two months now and it's working great.

The site is really good about giving you complete instructions on whatever your equipment is, and how to set up a virtual US credit card. All together it works out to around $12/mth for me. (I paid $50 to get a year service of US Video as opposed to doing $5/mth though.)

There's a free week-long trial for US Video, (and a month for US Netflix) but you're still going to have to spend a bit of money setting up an Entropay account if you don't happen to have a US credit card somehow.

What exactly is the legality of this? I'm assuming it fits a loophole as they're a registered business and all.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

HorusTheAvenger posted:

Teksavvy Cable reports as available for my downtown Waterloo postal code now. I'm debating if it's worth switching now that Bell's trying to lay low. Anyone able to comment on the performance difference of Teksavvy's ml-pppoe DSL vs Cable in Waterloo?

I'm on their DSL service and it's mostly fine, consistent 5mbps. I just signed up for their cable service and it's being installed on Thursday. Keep in mind that if there are performance problems they won't happen now but when their link to the POI gets congested.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

HorusTheAvenger posted:

If you have DSL now and it's going around its advertised speed, then you'll probably get the same with TekSavvy. BTW, another decent option in Waterloo is EyeSurf. They have a 10Mbps unlimited bandwidth + phone including Canadian long distance for $50/month. Also, they'll remain unlimited for the foreseeable future since they're not reselling Bell.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

StealthArcher posted:

What exactly is the legality of this? I'm assuming it fits a loophole as they're a registered business and all.

Proxies themselves are legal in the U.S. and pretty much the entire developed world, there are some activities which aren't legal (e.g. if you think a proxy will obscure your identity and you use it for hacking). As for watching Hulu and U.S. Netflix, this is a "legal" grey area; the MPAA certainly doesn't want you doing this since it screws up their demographics and advertising, but it's not like they're going to put you in jail if they catch you. There was a time where having a U.S. Satellite dish in Canada meant huge fines, not sure about now.

HorusTheAvenger
Nov 7, 2005

Vaginal Engineer posted:

BTW, another decent option in Waterloo is EyeSurf. They have a 10Mbps unlimited bandwidth + phone including Canadian long distance for $50/month. Also, they'll remain unlimited for the foreseeable future since they're not reselling Bell.

Definitely giving them a call in the morning. $50+tax/month is a lot less than $50/month to Teksavvy plus $24/month to Bell. It looks like with EyeSurf I'd have a use other than checking battery levels for that LCD on my phone too!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
TekSavvy said that a bunch of the Toronto POIs finally are getting their upgrades. I haven't checked DSLReports since the weekend, but ever since last Thursday my prime time isn't nearly as bad as it had been since they bumped me from Scarlett to Dupont. :fingerscrossed:

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

HorusTheAvenger posted:

Definitely giving them a call in the morning. $50+tax/month is a lot less than $50/month to Teksavvy plus $24/month to Bell. It looks like with EyeSurf I'd have a use other than checking battery levels for that LCD on my phone too!

Let me know how it goes :)

HorusTheAvenger
Nov 7, 2005

Vaginal Engineer posted:

Let me know how it goes :)

I called them tonight. I got a bit scared off with it sounding like an Indian call center. When I asked if they offered any options to get a static IP she had no clue what I was talking about. From what I read on DSL reports and Redflag Deals forums they are hit or miss on the support side, more on the miss.

I did some reading up on Yak on DSL Reports and Redflag Deals forums as well. It sounds like Yak is a bit better support-wise, but have been either playing with throttling or having congestion issues since December-ish.

I'm going to stick with Teksavvy for now. May make the leap if UBB makes its rounds again.

Evergreen
Oct 7, 2005
Acquiring a feast. It's serious business.

HorusTheAvenger posted:

I'd signed up for TekSavvy cable service in Kitchener last week. I was supposed to have an installation appointment yesterday (the 13th) but apparently Rogers hadn't processed the order, so it's been pushed back to one of Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. (Yes, they make you pick three days.)

From what I've heard this is a common thing and has happened to at least one other person at work. It kind of irks me that since cable is already active at my address, the TekSavvy SB6120 syncs properly but is just inside Rogers' walled garden and won't get a real IP address. Rogers just has to authorize it now, which could be done in all of 30 seconds, but they still insist on sending a technician.

KW will be an interesting location as we'll have incredibly heavy users (the students downloading anime and the tech population.) If it's only a gigabit link at the POI, maybe 60 or so people will be able to download at full speed at the same time. I'm keeping my Rogers connection around for a few months at the same time while things shake out.

bl4d3
Jun 18, 2005

My supershakes bring all the goons to the yard of lard.

Evergreen posted:

I'd signed up for TekSavvy cable service in Kitchener last week. I was supposed to have an installation appointment yesterday (the 13th) but apparently Rogers hadn't processed the order, so it's been pushed back to one of Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. (Yes, they make you pick three days.)

So they can show up on any one of those days? Jesus. I though having a 12-5 time windows piss poor service.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Goddamn, I just had the most hillarious phone call with someone from Cogeco cable trying to convince me not to disconnect. Halfway through the call, I realized that I should have started recording that poo poo, but I didn't :(

So many lies and so much bullshit.

Example: At one point, I made a remark about how 15Mbps unlimited isn't really good compared to the rest of the world, but it's good here and he starts talking about how the Internet was invented in Britain so they had much longer to work on it and then it was picked up by Russia (?) and North Korea because they're close by or some poo poo, so they have better internet than us.

How companies like Teksavvy and Acanac are really satellite companies because the CRTC mandated that no other cable companies could compete with Cogeco in this area.

CRTC passed a law on March 15 that companies can only sell up to 200GB/month to keep the speeds up (I actually don't know if this is true or if wholesalers just ignore this). "If everybody had unlimited, then the speeds would go way down." or something to that effect. That old line. I wish I were articulate enough to come up with a great repsonse or to have an elevator pitch for that argument.

Then he tried to tell me that Acanac was charging $40 for the first year only and it's actually a 2-year term instead of 12-month and the second year and on would be $57. He said to read the fine print. I ctrl+A, ctrl+C, ctrl+V the fine print into notepad. No dollar signs found, no 57, so I wasn't sure where he was getting that. I don't think this is true because the DSL price goes up after a year and it's made clear on the website when I first got it.

How Cogeco is the only ISP in the country that has DOCSIS 3.0 so they can offer the highest speeds (may be true, I don't care). They have a 7-year exclusivity that I didn't ask when it started or ends.

That I needed a legal and valid reason to cancel my service. What? If you want to know who's kicking your rear end then just ask.

These companies don't have an answer to why wholesalers can offer unlimited so they're stumbling all over themselves to fill this hole of logic.

And if by some hosed out crazy coincidence this guy's a goon and reading this, then gently caress you for your bullshit. You deserve employee of the month though for your blind devotion to a lovely company.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds like you needed to interrupt him with a big [CITATION NEEDED] every few sentences :q:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dudebro posted:

So many lies...

Yeah, whoever you spoke to was lying out their rear end on a number of points. They certainly aren't the only Docsis 3 provider, or ... or ... or ...

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
Someone is stealing all of our gigabits...

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

bl4d3 posted:

So they can show up on any one of those days? Jesus. I though having a 12-5 time windows piss poor service.

They confirm which day they'll be coming a few days in advance so it's much better than the old 'stay home on Tuesday and we might show up at any time... or we might not'

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

HorusTheAvenger posted:

I called them tonight. I got a bit scared off with it sounding like an Indian call center. When I asked if they offered any options to get a static IP she had no clue what I was talking about. From what I read on DSL reports and Redflag Deals forums they are hit or miss on the support side, more on the miss.

That's too bad, I've only ever spoken to a guy who sounded like he ran the whole business. Maybe it's better during the day?

Evergreen
Oct 7, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

They confirm which day they'll be coming a few days in advance so it's much better than the old 'stay home on Tuesday and we might show up at any time... or we might not'

Also, with Rogers you do get to pick a three hour time window; one of 9-11am, 11am-2pm, 2-5pm, 5-8pm on each day, so it's not as bad as it could be.

They may not proactively call you though. I ended up calling TekSavvy this morning again on the last agent's advice. It wasn't associated with my order, but they had just gotten a confirmation from Rogers that my "installation appointment" is definitely on Sunday at the requested time slot.

We shall see, though...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Got my Teksavvy cable internet hooked up this morning! So far it's great. Loaded up a HD youtube video no problem, no more buffering for me!

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Chris Knight posted:

TekSavvy said that a bunch of the Toronto POIs finally are getting their upgrades. I haven't checked DSLReports since the weekend, but ever since last Thursday my prime time isn't nearly as bad as it had been since they bumped me from Scarlett to Dupont. :fingerscrossed:
Any news on this? The overloading on the Toronto ROIs is one of the reasons I haven't made the switch.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh hell yes, TekSavvy has cable in Guelph now.

Jumping on that soonish.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
For those of you in Ontario and have access to cable internet here's something to check out: http://www.distributel.ca/en-ON/residential/internet/very-high-speed-cable

I switched to Distributel last month I've been getting 2 to 3 times the DL speed I used to get with Rogers.

This is a speed test I just did right now:

My download speed will range from 18Mb/s during peak times and I've seen it rise to 30+Mb/s.
Upload pretty much hovers around 0.97Mb/s with hitting 0.89-0.91~Mb/s during peak and Ping always between 11-15ms. Both me and my roommate have been doing speed tests at different times of day a few times a week during this whole month and we've never actually seen the download speed drop to the reported 15Mb/s.

Overall service has been great and the only issue we've had was because of the weird way we went about signing up for the service, which got dealt with relatively hassle-free. My roommate was working during their business hours at the time so I called to set up the account, then later we transfered it in his name, but that meant the original payment was still on my credit card, but we've been credited for the overcharge now.

edit: Forgot to mention UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH for 50$ a month

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

I've been using http://www.usvideo.org to proxy US Netflix ever since someone mentioned it in the Toronto thread. It's been two months now and it's working great.

The site is really good about giving you complete instructions on whatever your equipment is, and how to set up a virtual US credit card. All together it works out to around $12/mth for me. (I paid $50 to get a year service of US Video as opposed to doing $5/mth though.)

There's a free week-long trial for US Video, (and a month for US Netflix) but you're still going to have to spend a bit of money setting up an Entropay account if you don't happen to have a US credit card somehow.

Holy crap this is amazing. It took about 10 seconds to set up and works perfectly on my PS3 and ipad.

Just canceled my Canadian Netflix as the U.S one unsurprisingly crushes it terms of selection.

Xplosive
Apr 23, 2004

And he's bad as can.

urf posted:

For those of you in Ontario and have access to cable internet here's something to check out: http://www.distributel.ca/en-ON/residential/internet/very-high-speed-cable

I switched to Distributel last month I've been getting 2 to 3 times the DL speed I used to get with Rogers.

This is a speed test I just did right now:

My download speed will range from 18Mb/s during peak times and I've seen it rise to 30+Mb/s.
Upload pretty much hovers around 0.97Mb/s with hitting 0.89-0.91~Mb/s during peak and Ping always between 11-15ms. Both me and my roommate have been doing speed tests at different times of day a few times a week during this whole month and we've never actually seen the download speed drop to the reported 15Mb/s.

Overall service has been great and the only issue we've had was because of the weird way we went about signing up for the service, which got dealt with relatively hassle-free. My roommate was working during their business hours at the time so I called to set up the account, then later we transfered it in his name, but that meant the original payment was still on my credit card, but we've been credited for the overcharge now.

edit: Forgot to mention UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH for 50$ a month
What part of Ontario because I guess it all depends on the POI congestion.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
hmm distrubutel looks nice, I was about to sign up for teksavvy and was midway through the process when I saw your post and it costs a bunch more:

code:
Teksavvy:
Cable Service    $54.95/month
Activation    $24.95
Modem + Shipping   $109.00
HST:    $24.56
Subtotal:    $188.90

Total:    $213.46
I'd rather just pay $50/month for the same thing with distributel - What kind of cable modem do they give you? and It looks like there's no contract either? And yea what area as well :v:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Acanac is $45/month. I'm not sure if Distributel is available in my area yet, but it's $5/month more and I don't see how it can be faster when they would just be using Cogeco lines. Anywyay, if I get 15Mb as opposed to 22Mb, it's not going to kill me. I already signed up for Acanac and got the modem so it'll be a bit of a hassle to cancel.

Evergreen
Oct 7, 2005
Getting a solid 15-20Mbit in Kitchener on TekSavvy cable, pings are low and no noticeable packet loss.

As soon as I get an appropriate VM up and running I'm going to track some actual statistics; if anyone cares I can provide real numbers. For now, it seems quite solid.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Godamnit when the gently caress is Thornhill/Vaughan gonna get some non Rogers' cable Internet. I'm tired of blowing $120+/month on just my Internet :argh:

Oddly enough when I called Distributel the rep said sorry Rogers has a monopoly there and are blocking all others or some such....

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
they are required by law to allow third parties to use their lines so something else is happening there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dudebro posted:

they are required by law to allow third parties to use their lines so something else is happening there.

They are required to 'allow' it, but that doesn't mean they can put all kinds of bullshit barriers in place (e.g. 'nominal' surcharge for every install access, can only access hardware on the fifth wednesday of every month, etc.)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

They are required to 'allow' it, but that doesn't mean they can put all kinds of bullshit barriers in place (e.g. 'nominal' surcharge for every install access, can only access hardware on the fifth wednesday of every month, etc.)

Exactly. This the same reason WIND/Mobilicity haven't been able to secure a single tower share with the Big Three, regardless of it being mandated in the spectrum auction rules.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress the CRTC man. gently caress them. I'd kill for some solid competition.

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Xplosive posted:

What part of Ontario because I guess it all depends on the POI congestion.

I live in Etobicoke; close to Islington and Bloor.

Hirez posted:

hmm distrubutel looks nice, I was about to sign up for teksavvy and was midway through the process when I saw your post and it costs a bunch more:

code:
Teksavvy:
Cable Service    $54.95/month
Activation    $24.95
Modem + Shipping   $109.00
HST:    $24.56
Subtotal:    $188.90

Total:    $213.46
I'd rather just pay $50/month for the same thing with distributel - What kind of cable modem do they give you? and It looks like there's no contract either? And yea what area as well :v:

Yeah it would be a lot cheaper, I didn't pay for my modem (and I don't pay a rental charge) or any activation fee (though there is a 10$ account set up fee). There's no contract. They sent me a Motorola Surfboard Model # SB5101N.

edit: I forgot to mention when signing up you're paying from the day your account is active and your first full month, but you get credited for every day between signing up and actually being connected on the month after that.

urf fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 20, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

I'd kill for some solid competition.

CRTC: Protecting the average Canadian citizen from Stanley Pain's killing spree

Xplosive
Apr 23, 2004

And he's bad as can.
I'm on the York Mills POI with Teksavvy and yesterday was the first day there was an outage all day. Apparently they, "ran out of IPs."

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Xplosive posted:

I'm on the York Mills POI with Teksavvy and yesterday was the first day there was an outage all day. Apparently they, "ran out of IPs."

Yeah I contacted them cause my cable internet was out and I got the same response. Seems to be working fine now.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
omfg, Acanac is so loving stupid. I can enter my postal code on their site, sign up for everything, pay for a new modem, and everything, but when they try to transfer your service, "Your area is not serviceable."

Well, thanks for letting me sign up, pay for everything, and disconnect from my current ISP while you fiddle around. I've called them at least five times in the past two weeks trying to make sure everything is okay and ready to go.

As opposed to Distributel, who you call and don't have to play around with phone menus and the guy gives you straight answers like "We work with Cogeco and Rogers in your area. We use their technicians, but it's our line." etc... The only downside is Distributel is $10 more per month.

I don't know if this is a 100% no on Acanac, but I'll find out shortly.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Acanac is well known for horrible customer service and I doubt it will ever improve judging by how long this has been the case. You're not the first person to have that happen, quite a few people on dslreports have gone through the exact same situation with them even after calling to make sure service was available first.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Here comes the fun times for Shaw customers, good thing they held all those open houses! From what I understand Shaw basically asked if customers would switch to a "lesser service provider" (I read that as dial up) if Shaw raised the prices/installed UBB. A majority responded that they would opt to stay with the higher price rather then leave for a lesser product, Shaw then interpreted this as an opportunity to gently caress over every customer where there is no competition.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/113858

Looks like I will be switching over to MTS in June which is a shame as I would prefer to have kept my shaw e-mail address, unless anyone has any information about MTS also supporting UBB. At that point my balls are in a salad shooter since those are the competing ISPs here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Space Cadet posted:

Here comes the fun times for Shaw customers, good thing they held all those open houses! From what I understand Shaw basically asked if customers would switch to a "lesser service provider" (I read that as dial up) if Shaw raised the prices/installed UBB. A majority responded that they would opt to stay with the higher price rather then leave for a lesser product, Shaw then interpreted this as an opportunity to gently caress over every customer where there is no competition.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/113858

Looks like I will be switching over to MTS in June which is a shame as I would prefer to have kept my shaw e-mail address, unless anyone has any information about MTS also supporting UBB. At that point my balls are in a salad shooter since those are the competing ISPs here.

Yeah, I saw that. Good thing Teksavvy is offering cable in Greater Vancouver, because gently caress Shaw. I was preaching the good name of Shaw a year or so ago, because I got great speeds and they never cared about monthly limits. After the whole UBB kerfuffle in the last couple months ago, I was tempted to just switch to Teksavvy, but decided to wait to see what Shaw was going to offer with their new packages. Now that I've seen they want to gently caress me, I'll be switching.

Shaw did just up the speeds of Extreme from 15/1 to 25/2 which is pretty nice, but it's with the same 100GB/month cap, so that just means I'll burn through my cap and start earning them $1/GB even faster.

To top it off they increased the monthly price from $57 to $59. Normally I wouldn't give much of a gently caress about $2/month, but the fact that they've done that, and are going to gently caress me, well, that is just too much. Especially when Teksavvy will give me 15/1 300GB/month for $37/month (300GB/month would probably be fine for me), or 15/1 unlimited monthly for $55/month.

In Summary: gently caress Shaw.