Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Hmm, very interesting choices this time around.

I have to vote C) though for my Goliath scorpion bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh poo poo. They got Caesar. Ohhhhhhhh crap.

This can't possibly end well.

Voting for Comguard. A.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
drat.

drat.

...okay. As much as I would love to see ComStar in action, I gotta go with C, because I kinda dig the scenario concept.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Have to vote A

We need to play as the ComGuard. The sons of Jerome Blake shall prevail against all odds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Whatever Bobbin Threadbare has planned, I want to see it. I vote C.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I really, really do not want the players to get to play with Clan tech just yet. That is why I would not vote C. It is just too much of a big step for this early in the thread; we still barely understand how vicious their mechs really can be.

And this is the resident Clan Apologist saying this. :unsmith:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Angry_Ed posted:

Admittedly it gets tougher with the Steiners since I think the Hauptmann is the only Battlemech in their arsenal with a German name. I could bullshit it a bit with the Nordic designations for clan 'mechs like Thor and Loki but that's way too much of a stretch.

There's also the Blitzkrieg and Verfolger. Also, the Eisensturm and Morgenstern aerospace fighters.

Also, Norse myth used to be one of the Steiner's hats before it became the FRR's.

Edit: and the Toyama is a Blakist mech, named after the late, great, Conrad Toyama. I also need to learn to read the rest of the thread before replying.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 20, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
There is only one option.

C) (This mission was planned with the assistance of Far CountryBobbin Threadbare)

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
D, Operation Himinbjorg. Because I have to know what it is.

Also, I think it is time that I officially request to be added to the pilot list. It'll probably be a while until it gets to me, but in some way that's good, because by the time it gets to me, everything will be really crazy for sure. Email is joelwalker44 at hotmail.

God Save the Prince.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

That was unexpected... Caesar being made into a bondsman? Not sure what to think about that.

As for the vote on next theater... I don't fancy reading about playing as the ComGuards, and there are no Kurita options available... I would go with the Northwind Highlanders, but I have no idea who they're gonna be fighting... And Bobbin designing the Goliath Scorpion scenario looks interesting...

gently caress it, going with B) the Northwind Highlanders. Space Scots vs (maybe) the Free Worlds League(?) will be interesting to watch.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think it's time to get the big guns out.

A:ComGuards!

PTN might even pull out <REDACTED> for this one.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
C I want to see what Bobbin cooked up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

A

Unleash the LosTech and King Crab upon them

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holy poo poo Caesar that's genius. Teaching them about Steiner Rules? And they'll take it seriously? Do that and stall for time until your mother has Loki rescue you.

Voting A. The ComGuard are fun to write for, and I think now that we've had Clantech used on us we should start messing with Star League gear.

(Can I name the new Colonel of Caesar's Legion?)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gotta vote for C.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is a tough choice but I think I'm going to vote A.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
If I may point something out? From the firstpost pros/cons of the great Steel Vipers:

quote:

Pros: Favor highly specialized ‘Mechs and high-speed blitzes. Can occasionally ignore the Clan rules of engagement. My favorite Clan (because they’re assholes to everyone).
Cons: Annoy the hell out of the other Clans for their occasionally dishonorable tactics. Tend to be self-centered and extremely rigid thinkers. They’re assholes to everyone, and don’t have leaders who’re actually good enough to keep that from getting them into trouble.

My emphasis.

And now one of their ristar front line commanders has Caesar as a close advisor.

If in any future update you read the words "Khan Dusk", the Lyran Commonwealth is a write-off.

As it should be.

Viper pride, surats. Viper pride. Behold what my poor consciousness rolls have wrought; behold, and beware. :devil:

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

I really, really do not want the players to get to play with Clan tech just yet. That is why I would not vote C. It is just too much of a big step for this early in the thread; we still barely understand how vicious their mechs really can be.

And this is the resident Clan Apologist saying this. :unsmith:

I agree with Mukaikubo on this one. And, considering that the Highlanders are one of my favourite IS regiments, I'll vote B. The Heimdall mission is really tempting, though.

edit: Also, there was no way Caesar wasn't going to get captured trying to get bondsmen free, especially in our first encounter with the Clans.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

If I may point something out? From the firstpost pros/cons of the great Steel Vipers:

My emphasis.

And now one of their ristar front line commanders has Caesar as a close advisor.

If in any future update you read the words "Khan Dusk", the Lyran Commonwealth is a write-off.

As it should be.

Viper pride, surats. Viper pride. Behold what my poor consciousness rolls have wrought; behold, and beware. :devil:

(whoops. Posted accidentally).

Caesar's teaching the Vipers to handicap themselves. He's giving Dusk the old Snow Fire treatment.

I imagine their partnership will end when Loki/Mercs/ROM pick him up and Caesar explains "I never respected you, Dusk. You are a fool."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 20, 2011

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Ah, so it goes. I can only hope that these recordings reach the rest of the Sphere, and give them some idea what is coming their way.

So now we've seen how the best the IS has to offer in Succession war forces stacks up to the clans. At this point, it would be very interesting to see a fresh perspective on this conflict.

So you offer 3 strange factions, and a new merc regiment. poo poo.

I have to say, I really want to see how players deal with the Clan perspective. I don't really agree with almost any of the Clan ideals, but they're interesting, and I'd love to see how they're handled in this alternate timeline. Besides the fact I want to see what Bobbin cooked up.

Voting C

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Voting C on this one

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Voting D: Operation Himinbjörg.

Really, all of the options look good this time. Things are heating up.

I'd also like to be added to the pilot list, if you can.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Mukaikubo posted:

If in any future update you read the words "Khan Steiner", the Lyran Commonwealth is a write-off.

I fixed that name for you. Apparently you got the two confused. A subtle mistake, to be sure.

Also, voting for D, Operation Himinborg

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
D: Operation Himinbjörg.

Here's hoping Duke Aldo Lestrade is going to have an accident. Er, another accident. Apart from the one that neutered him, that is. A fatal one, is what I'm getting at. Heimdall is going to kill him, you see.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veyrall posted:

I fixed that name for you. Apparently you got the two confused. A subtle mistake, to be sure.

Also, voting for D, Operation Himinborg

Caesar's greatest trick: get his own bloodname, become Khan, stage "surrender" of the LC, rename himself ArKhan, then just Archon, then reorganize the Viper toucan in to IS style and dissolve the caste system. "Yes, you guys totally won and now you get to live JUST LIKE people in the Star League!"

Also, I AM curious to know what Heimdall is planning on Tharkad, considering that Aldo Lestrade implicated one of their leaders in Katrina's death.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

While option D is very tempting for the mystery of it all, I can't turn down a chance to get in with the ComGuard (A).

I'm kind of glad Caesar lost, if only to avoid several paragraphs about him having sex with Dusk. Or at least delay them.

[EDIT]

Defiance Industries posted:

reorganize the Viper toucan

They'll just follow their nose anyway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Reading myself I come off as complaining, but I honestly love the cheesiness of all of this stuff. If anything it would be funner to be even more cheesy. Alone, the blatantly stereotyped asian nations aren't too much fun, but ramping up the German and English stereotypes would balance things out. Spurs are a good start, but until they're wearing poofy slashed-velvet tunics and tights and whalebone ruffs it's not goofy enough!

I'm still unclear on what Marik would wear as their ye olden costumes. Where are they from exactly? They don't seem as developed as the other houses.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Voting A

I want to see the space IT guys in action.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Goddamn phone autocorrect. It also keeps thinking "poo poo" isn't a word either.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
Voting D

And there better be lederhosen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Despite the appeal of large men in brightly colored leather short shorts/overalls ensembles, I'm going to vote A because it's time we had some shiny to play with.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 20, 2011

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting A. I think it's time to see the true terrifying might of <REDACTED> Plus, it will show that even using pimped out Star League gear, the Clans are still able to curbstomp.

If possible, I'd like to save C for the next battle, though I do want to know what the heck Heimdall is up to.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I vote for the Goliath Scorpions to kill some goddamn space ninjas.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
C - 8th Scorpion Uhlans. seems like fun.
Also, I wonder if Caesar did get his night with Dusk regardless.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'd like us to play C at some point, but I guess it doesn't have to be now, if PTN can work it in later.

I do think that option D sounds interesting though! I am intrigued to see what's in store in Space Scandinavia!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hello, we're here to install your new cable? A

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Arglebargle III posted:

Reading myself I come off as complaining, but I honestly love the cheesiness of all of this stuff. If anything it would be funner to be even more cheesy. Alone, the blatantly stereotyped asian nations aren't too much fun, but ramping up the German and English stereotypes would balance things out. Spurs are a good start, but until they're wearing poofy slashed-velvet tunics and tights and whalebone ruffs it's not goofy enough!

I'm still unclear on what Marik would wear as their ye olden costumes. Where are they from exactly? They don't seem as developed as the other houses.

The spurs are, I think, less "knights of yore" for the AFFS, and more 19th Century cavalry. (Which is why several of their higher profile units are the Avalon and Ceti Hussars, the Crucis Lancers, and the Kathil Uhlans...to say nothing of the Deneb Light Cavalry and the 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry!) So if anything, they should be rocking double-breasted coats and sashes to go with their spurs.

Part of that I think is because the FS were always the combined arms faction in canon, too, moreso than probably anyone except Comstar. Each branch understands why the others are there. So, their Mechwarriors aren't knights, above everyone else outside the nobility, at least not as much as other factions. They have the most glory, but everyone who serves is worthy of respect, and FS Mechwarriors don't look down on the other branches very much. It's a full team effort, and the 'Mech's role might be flashier and more visible, but they still need the infantry and the Guards regiments there to hold the line and push forward with them.

As far as House Marik, they are sort of less developed. I always saw them as very Mediterranean, with heavy Spanish and Greek influences. There may be some central European in there too (Marik could be Czech or Slovak, and Halas certainly is). So I'm not real sure on what their thing would be.

cookieman
Jan 19, 2009
C

Could potentially be very interesting.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Voting A. The Manei Domini intended to burn the Clans to the ground in the original timeline as a gift to the second Star League.

Perhaps their predecessors in ComStar cannot manage this feat. But they, and we, can show the Clans that theirs is not the sole legacy of the old Star League, and our legacy might be one step forward and three steps back but that forward step is a doozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Going with A because I want to know what horrible secerts the Precentor has already given up to the clans.

• Locked thread