Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

SUBFRIES posted:

Jagged Edge - "Rock Baby" [V Recordings]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngmc12M5tcU

Jagged Edge was Optical & Ryme Tyme. No idea why they didn't run with this project, such a good tune.

I immediately regretted not putting this track in my list. Top tune. Glad I got it on vinyl *smugface*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

DJDace posted:

I just picked up a grip of new tracks in preparation for a set I'll be spinning on the 27th on Deep Vibe Radio. Some really good hard driving D&B, some of it from some artists I'm just now getting acquainted with

Record your set and post it up :)

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Next Week...Music to Drive to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Riot.EXE posted:

Next Week...Music to Drive to.

Another area of expertise for me, so that should be fun :) You pick the best themes, Riot!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:cheers:

kemal & rob data (konflict): re-animation
digital & spirit: crash
total science: frequency 2
infinite (optical + fierce): beachball
vector burn: bury me standing
bulletproof: nephilim (kemal & rob data rmx)
cause 4 concern: nightgasp
lion of judah: wardance
basement jaxx: fly life (roni size rmx)
future bound: poison chalice
kemal & rob data (konflict): konspiracy
kraken: side effects
kemal: system bleed
kemal & rob data (konflict): encrypter
cause 4 concern: symptom
digital: hard ears (who can't hear must feel)
perfect combination: technical switch

http://www.mediafire.com/?j4drcu8p14w62dw

Love these tunes so much, re listening to this mix makes me grin like a cheshire cat. beachball, nightgasp, hard ears :worship:

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 17, 2011

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!

im a girl btw posted:

Record your set and post it up :)

Deal :) I'm going to re-record a bunch of the sets I've played at parties here in L.A. over the last few months so I can put them in my car so I too have "Music to Drive To"! Once I have them recorded I'll post all 4 of them so everyone can give them a listen!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Another area of expertise for me, so that should be fun :) You pick the best themes, Riot!

Thanks...gotta keep poo poo fresh!

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Misanthrop - Y

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

has there been a neurofunk or a techstep friday 5 ?

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Psychedelic posted:

has there been a neurofunk or a techstep friday 5 ?

A lot of the people in this thread probably don't listen to true techstep (or even really know what constitutes as techstep), so I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Misanthrop - Y

Liking this a whole lot more than some of the other tunes I've heard of his recently.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
friday 5 junglist edition please

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

beeps-a-palooza posted:

friday 5 junglist edition please

Two weeks.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I know I'm going to blow some minds here, and I apologize for that, but you can talk about music that you like any day of the week. If you are curious about jungle, you could go "Hey, what are some good recommendations for jungle music? I enjoy it and I would like to learn more"! If you want to talk about songs that you like, you can just talk about them! It doesn't have to be Friday!

criticaldamage
Jun 9, 2009

chrix posted:

A lot of the people in this thread probably don't listen to true techstep (or even really know what constitutes as techstep), so I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Could you give an example or two of techstep? I'm honestly curious; like you said, I'm not sure if my definition of it is right :P

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

het posted:

I know I'm going to blow some minds here, and I apologize for that, but you can talk about music that you like any day of the week. If you are curious about jungle, you could go "Hey, what are some good recommendations for jungle music? I enjoy it and I would like to learn more"! If you want to talk about songs that you like, you can just talk about them! It doesn't have to be Friday!

Yeah, the Friday thing was just something recent some of the thread regulars started doing for fun, it's not some sort of lock out on people talking about the music.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

criticaldamage posted:

Could you give an example or two of techstep? I'm honestly curious; like you said, I'm not sure if my definition of it is right :P

I'd say check out the 'Tech Steppin' compilation on Emotif, and the 'Torque' LP on No U-Turn.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

criticaldamage posted:

SUBFRIES is right on.

also check these out:
J Majik - Arabian Nights
Concept 2 - No Mistake
Q Project & Spinback (now called Total Science) - Champion Sound
Doc Scott - Unofficial Ghost

Mind you, all of the above were out before 2000. In a more modern vein...

Ink & Cymatix - Presence Unknown
Raiden - Minus 12
Loxy & Matt U - Jumanji

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

chrix posted:

Mind you, all of the above were out before 2000. In a more modern vein...

This statement makes me feel pretty old.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

het posted:

Should we discontinue the Friday 5?

SUBFRIES posted:

Yeah, the Friday thing was just something recent some of the thread regulars started doing for fun, it's not some sort of lock out on people talking about the music.

This is exactly what it's about. The thread isn't just PYF Drum & Bass, that's just something we've started doing once a week every week for the last few weeks. We're still talking about D&B the rest of the week.

And I don't know if anyone uses them as such, but the Friday 5s can be used as replacements for many broad recommendation posts. By posting themed 5s, we're effectively knocking out the need for those unfamiliar with the genre or a specific area of the genre to wonder what's good. They can just check out all the various tracks we post.

Of course if we don't go over everything and a poster still has a question after going through our Friday 5s, we'll be glad to help. But for the most part I think we're covering all our bases as far as that goes.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 19, 2011

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Basically what Rageaholic said...Friday 5 is just something we do for the gently caress of it. It just kinda happened, we had fun with it, and so we keep it goin'. If some new poo poo pops off at any given time, peeps are gonna talk about it here. Nothin's lost with the Friday 5 being here. poo poo, if anything, Friday 5 is a GUARANTEE that this thread will be alive and kickin' and new peeps can come in and instantly discover some poo poo that'll be new to them, or finally get that answer we ALL have had at one point...you know the one, "What the hell was that song I heard in that one DJ's set!?!"

Embrace the Friday 5.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

w/r/t the techstep talk, there was a poster here that put up a pretty cool mix of theirs that was all that kind of stuff. Idk what page it was on but the mix was called "Scan- Dark Techstep Mix Sep 2010".

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAoRc9_mKTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1DXrJogZvw Tech Itch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvirNKnF_xU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tl78WKLefY Teebee.

I don't have the ears for pulling techstep correctly.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
het calm down everything is okay in here

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
also, i've decided that this is my theme song for today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KZoWLot0g

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ed Rush & Optical - Essential Mix - 7th Feb 1999

http://soundcloud.com/djmixes/ed-rush-optical-studio-session-essential-mix-02-07-1999/download

Ryme Tyme & Optical - Headhunters (dub plate)
Bad Company - “The Nine” (BC Recordings)
Ram Trilogy - “Terminal 1″ (Ram)
Jonny L - “The Bells” (Piranha)
Ram Trilogy - “Mind Overload” (Ram)
DJ Trace - “Sonar” (Prototype)
DJ Krust - “Warhead (Ram Trilogy Rmx)” (V)
Matrix - “Airhead” (Virus)
Bad Company - “The Pulse” (Prototype)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Bacteria” (Virus)
DJ Phantasy & DJ Probe - “Orders (DJ Reality Remix)” (Easy)
Ryme Tyme - “Payback Pt. 1″ (DSCI4)
Roni Size - “Watching Windows [DJ Die Remix]” (Talkin Loud)
Matrix - “Asylum” (Virus)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Funktion” (V)
Bad Company - “China Cup” (Prototype)
Ram Trilogy - “Iron Lung” (Ram)
Optical - “Newoptic” (dub plate) unknown ???
Ed Rush & Optical - “Dozer” (Virus)
DJ Die - “Clear Skyz” (Full Cycle)
Fibre Optics - “Sin” (Renegade Hardware)
Usual Suspects - “Killa Beez” (Renegade Hardware)
Ram Trilogy - “Chase Scene” (Ram)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Watermelon” (Virus)
Ram Trilogy - “System Error (Y2K)” (Ram)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Gasmask” (Virus)
Infinite (Optical & Fierce) - “Beachball” (Renegade Hardware)
Ed Rush, Optical & Fierce - “Alien Girl” (Prototype)
Optical - “Slip Thru” (Virus)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Sick Note” (Virus)

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Jippa posted:

Ed Rush & Optical - Essential Mix - 7th Feb 1999

http://soundcloud.com/djmixes/ed-rush-optical-studio-session-essential-mix-02-07-1999/download

Ryme Tyme & Optical - Headhunters (dub plate)
Bad Company - “The Nine” (BC Recordings)
Ram Trilogy - “Terminal 1″ (Ram)
Jonny L - “The Bells” (Piranha)
Ram Trilogy - “Mind Overload” (Ram)
DJ Trace - “Sonar” (Prototype)
DJ Krust - “Warhead (Ram Trilogy Rmx)” (V)
Matrix - “Airhead” (Virus)
Bad Company - “The Pulse” (Prototype)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Bacteria” (Virus)
DJ Phantasy & DJ Probe - “Orders (DJ Reality Remix)” (Easy)
Ryme Tyme - “Payback Pt. 1″ (DSCI4)
Roni Size - “Watching Windows [DJ Die Remix]” (Talkin Loud)
Matrix - “Asylum” (Virus)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Funktion” (V)
Bad Company - “China Cup” (Prototype)
Ram Trilogy - “Iron Lung” (Ram)
Optical - “Newoptic” (dub plate) unknown ???
Ed Rush & Optical - “Dozer” (Virus)
DJ Die - “Clear Skyz” (Full Cycle)
Fibre Optics - “Sin” (Renegade Hardware)
Usual Suspects - “Killa Beez” (Renegade Hardware)
Ram Trilogy - “Chase Scene” (Ram)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Watermelon” (Virus)
Ram Trilogy - “System Error (Y2K)” (Ram)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Gasmask” (Virus)
Infinite (Optical & Fierce) - “Beachball” (Renegade Hardware)
Ed Rush, Optical & Fierce - “Alien Girl” (Prototype)
Optical - “Slip Thru” (Virus)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Sick Note” (Virus)

This is a raging mix (Based on tracklist) for my favorite era in DnB. This is what was out when I first started and I maintain that almost nothing compares now.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Should we discontinue the Friday 5?
As you might guess I'm admittedly less than enthused about "post 5 youtubes and nothing else" sorts of poo poo, but beyond that I think the general idea of a regular feature of the thread is clearly a good one since a lot of people participate and get something out of it. I just think it's sort of silly when you get people going "when will people post about jungle?" "in two weeks".

edit: to be clear, aside from the "hey here's 5 youtubes" aspect (which not everyone does), I think the Friday 5 is a cool idea and a good way to get people involved.

het fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 19, 2011

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

het posted:

As you might guess I'm admittedly less than enthused about "post 5 youtubes and nothing else" sorts of poo poo, but beyond that I think the general idea of a regular feature of the thread is clearly a good one since a lot of people participate and get something out of it. I just think it's sort of silly when you get people going "when will people post about jungle?" "in two weeks".

edit: to be clear, aside from the "hey here's 5 youtubes" aspect (which not everyone does), I think the Friday 5 is a cool idea and a good way to get people involved.

I like the '5 youtubes' but it's only really good when people write a line or two about each track.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

Anae posted:

I like the '5 youtubes' but it's only really good when people write a line or two about each track.

See I was getting the impression that not everybody really cared about what the posters thought about it - they just wanted the music. That's why I neglected to write anything on my Friday 5 last week. I dunno, but I think it's fun and an easy way to find new music. I say we keep doing it.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Dr. Goonstein posted:

See I was getting the impression that not everybody really cared about what the posters thought about it - they just wanted the music. That's why I neglected to write anything on my Friday 5 last week. I dunno, but I think it's fun and an easy way to find new music. I say we keep doing it.

I usually don't have much, critique-wise, to say about music I like. If I think it's dope, then it's dope, and I'm only gonna post dope poo poo here. Plus, considering I know jack poo poo about music theory, I couldn't break it down to that level 'cause I don't know the proper names for anything like that. That's why I just post the tracks and call it a day. I do appreciate those that are able to better articulate why they feel the tracks that they post are good tracks though. Even cooler when they do it to stuff you post.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
honestly if it wasn't for friday 5, i wouldn't have given liquid dnb a chance. now i really like it

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Riot.EXE posted:

Plus, considering I know jack poo poo about music theory, I couldn't break it down to that level 'cause I don't know the proper names for anything like that.
Nobody does this though, and it's not a problem at all. Talk about how the track makes you feel, think about it and try to put it into words. It's not about music theory, it's just about articulating why you like a track.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

http://youtu.be/GVE8IrDnsdw?hd=1

:holymoley: This track blew my socks off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr.Bond posted:

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it could've been more dynamic. It got kinda repetitive.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

It does go really well over 2001: A Space Odyssey.

http://tubedubber.com/#ou6JNQwPWE0:GVE8IrDnsdw:0:100:2:0:true

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Mr.Bond posted:

Give this one a try then:
http://soundcloud.com/dbridge/synkro-indigo-guidance-exit

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

het posted:

Nobody does this though, and it's not a problem at all. Talk about how the track makes you feel, think about it and try to put it into words. It's not about music theory, it's just about articulating why you like a track.

Yeah. With (most) d&b no one is going to be writing about how there's a perfectly placed major 7th or something. It's going to be more 'this track makes me feel like I'm flying' or 'this track makes me stomp around like Godzilla'.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

Mr.Bond posted:

Metrik's a favorite of mine. He most produces awesome liquid like this, and he's signed to Viper. Check out some of his tunes on The Departure EP. 2 of them have vocals by Jan Burton, who did the vocals on "Niton (The Reason)" by Eric Prydz, if you are familiar with that amazing track. T-1000 is also an awesome track, though not liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Metrik's a favorite of mine. He most produces awesome liquid like this, and he's signed to Viper. Check out some of his tunes on The Departure EP. 2 of them have vocals by Jan Burton, who did the vocals on "Niton (The Reason)" by Eric Prydz, if you are familiar with that amazing track. T-1000 is also an awesome track, though not liquid.

The Instrumental version of The Arrival is one of my favorite more recent tracks.