Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Some video of my dogs playing in the snow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti66s8R2mhU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Not my dog or my pictures (some dog from another forum I frequent) but I figured you guys might like them.

Apparently she couldn't care less about the bath/drying, other than it removed the delicious scent of dead duck from her fur, but that pissed off shiba face is perfect. :3:

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare
Radar and I were at the big dog park nearby today, running him so that he wouldn't be as panicked when he was sent to the boarding kennel this afternoon, and we met a nice woman with a huge, floppy-eared "Malamute." He was a shelter/rescue, and looked and moved, well, not quite Malamutey. So I asked her if he might be a Tibetan Mastiff mix, as unlikely as that sounds, and she said that other people had mentioned TMs, too, but that she was told Mal.

So, got home and did a super-authoritative google search: he is definitely not a mix, he's looks to be a full TM. Which is hilarious, because they're pretty rare. And oh, the cute. Huge, huge, but so soft and fluffy. It was so nice to plunge my hands into his fur, because I've only seen them at shows, where people really frown on you mussing their hairy beasts before ring time. He kept trying to chase Radar, and would just give up and settle back into a plodding hustle. I hope we meet them again. Anyone else got a TM? Please post photos, for, like, research!

p.s. had he been a Mal, or Mal cross, that would have been super too--hairy and friendly. I didn't mean to sounds breedist, Mal people!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Sock Weasel posted:

This is the only way you tame a Shiba. :black101:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Captain Foxy posted:

This is the only way you tame a Shiba. :black101:

Am I doing this rite? :v:

(P.S. - Koji met a Shar Pei named Riley (? ...that or the son...) today while taking pictures in the bluebonnets. They LOVED each other. I'll get pictures up once I go through them. Just know Koji has a stretchy face.)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Koji has the best stretchyface :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Okay, here's Koji and the Shar Pei! It was cute, they so wanted to play as soon as they saw each other. Then Shar Pei et al went off to take pictures in the flowers, slips the buckle on her leash (collar still on) and makes a bee line across the field straight back to Koji. :3: We kept her around for treats while the family ran back to get her. I so wanted to take her home. My friend who fed her treats said it felt like feeding a velvet walrus. :v:

WHO ARE YOU?!

Hiiiiiiiii

Levi-butt

Sit for a treat?

Good sits!

Wuv you. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
D'aww that shar pei has a happy face :3: Koji trying to look all serious and dignified makes it even better.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

badmomrising posted:

Radar and I were at the big dog park nearby today, running him so that he wouldn't be as panicked when he was sent to the boarding kennel this afternoon, and we met a nice woman with a huge, floppy-eared "Malamute." He was a shelter/rescue, and looked and moved, well, not quite Malamutey. So I asked her if he might be a Tibetan Mastiff mix, as unlikely as that sounds, and she said that other people had mentioned TMs, too, but that she was told Mal.

So, got home and did a super-authoritative google search: he is definitely not a mix, he's looks to be a full TM. Which is hilarious, because they're pretty rare. And oh, the cute. Huge, huge, but so soft and fluffy. It was so nice to plunge my hands into his fur, because I've only seen them at shows, where people really frown on you mussing their hairy beasts before ring time. He kept trying to chase Radar, and would just give up and settle back into a plodding hustle. I hope we meet them again. Anyone else got a TM? Please post photos, for, like, research!

p.s. had he been a Mal, or Mal cross, that would have been super too--hairy and friendly. I didn't mean to sounds breedist, Mal people!

There are two TM's in our neighborhood! I met them once in front of the grocery store when one was still a big, floppy puppy. I had never seen the breed before, and they were super awesome!

I just saw them again at the dog park last week (when I learned they are local doggies) and was impressed that the male pup (18 mos) is now bigger than the adult male. His coat is so amazing! It's all multi-colored and he has the biggest ruff. They're both kind of aloof, goofy dogs, and I love them. :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
My knowledge of what a good shar pei should be is basically zero, but in my uneducated opinion that's a fine looking doggy. :3:

I miss wildflower season back home SO MUCH. :( For those of you who don't live in DFW, they very often spread wild flower seeds in grassy areas along the highways, it's really uplifting when they bloom every year.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

I miss wildflower season back home SO MUCH. :( For those of you who don't live in DFW, they very often spread wild flower seeds in grassy areas along the highways, it's really uplifting when they bloom every year.

All OVER the state, all thanks to Ladybird Johnson! Each year right before spring, you'll see signs go up all over by the roads and in parks designating wildflower areas while yelling at you to not mow. My hayfever may hate me, but I look forward to the bluebonnets and poppies and primroses and indian paintbrushes etc. Growing up in my small town in LA, spring meant "Hey, it's not as brown!" or "Look, even MORE ice plants..." so Springtime in Texas is just beautiful. :3:

Going to be all :japan: for a moment. Today was 1 month since Japan's earthquake and tsunami. I took a nice corresponding picture for my weekly assignment today.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Shibas are just so freakin' cute I can't stand it. :3: If I'm ever going to end up with a "small" dog, it's going to be a shiba.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

That is the happiest fuckin dog.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
My friend was just over so we could get some puppy pics. Her 8 week old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (the one she left home from a litter of seven) got along pretty well with my six 5 week old Finnish Lapphund puppies. It still amazes me what a noticeable difference there is in the individual development between the two breeds though. Finnish Lapphunds which I certainly consider to be primitive are about half a week ahead of tollers around the age of 2 weeks. When Finnish Lapphunds start moving around on all fours, tollers have yet to find their legs. Also Lapphunds are much better about eating solids. I haven't had the opportunity to follow a litter from a non-primitive breed so closely before. So this was a treat of sorts and having my own litter so soon after hers didn't hurt either.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Riiseli posted:

My friend was just over so we could get some puppy pics.
Excellent to find you here, welcome to SA! Please post puppy pics. I keep forgetting they're old enough to move around and act like little dogs, I have to come visit some day soon :3:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
^ Yes, you really should. And definately like little dogs. Plus it's quite entertaining to watch Healy & Naru interact with the puppies. They mostly play and how careful they are while doing that is pretty amazing all things considered.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Steve French posted:

Look at that happy fuggin dawg. :3:

Riiseli, omg, I think we need some pics lest them puppies explode. :colbert:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011

paisleyfox posted:

There are two on the last page of the "Post Your Pet" thread. I'll try to get some photos outdoors tomorrow or the day after.

Squirrelomancer
Jan 28, 2009
Here is Bandit! He is now a 1 year old and has turned out to be a very well behaved Shiba. He gets occasionally crazy but he is really sweet.

Hero and Bandit best buds!

Love that dog :3:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011

paisleyfox posted:

My pillow by Riiseli, on Flickr
See more here :)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Riiseli posted:

My pillow by Riiseli, on Flickr
See more here :)

I....I just melted. :allears:

Squirrelomancer, I thought for a second you took pictures of my friend's Sheebs! Good looking dogs.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Riiseli posted:

:mad: to you too puppy

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Oskar had fun in the rain today. :)

I must learn to take actiony pictures...

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Sorry to dig up an old post, but what breed is Warbadger's dog? He looks pretty much just like the mental image I get when I think the word 'dog.'

EDIT: vvvvvv Thanks. I just read the first five pages of the thread, then made the post.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 18, 2011

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
^From the end of page 20.

Warbadger posted:

GSD/Malamute mix.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Yesterday at the park (filled with off-lead dogs, usually), I saw a couple walking their gorgeous huskies ( :3: ) on short traffic leads, with the dogs on head halters, and giving constant corrections to the dogs with the haltis. I drew carefully nearer and saw the woman grab her husky by the throat and shout in its face. They were also refusing to let the dogs walk next to or in front of them, hence the many corrections. They literally popped the lead about thirty times between them in the two or three minutes I was watching. :smith:

I can't imagine that leash corrections work well with the primitive breeds. It's not like they're dopy labradors that will just dopily carry on. Surely punishment on primitive breeds would have to be carried out even more carefully? (Leaving aside that you aren't supposed to give corrections with head halters anyway.)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Fraction posted:

Yesterday at the park (filled with off-lead dogs, usually), I saw a couple walking their gorgeous huskies ( :3: ) on short traffic leads, with the dogs on head halters, and giving constant corrections to the dogs with the haltis. I drew carefully nearer and saw the woman grab her husky by the throat and shout in its face. They were also refusing to let the dogs walk next to or in front of them, hence the many corrections. They literally popped the lead about thirty times between them in the two or three minutes I was watching. :smith:

I can't imagine that leash corrections work well with the primitive breeds. It's not like they're dopy labradors that will just dopily carry on. Surely punishment on primitive breeds would have to be carried out even more carefully? (Leaving aside that you aren't supposed to give corrections with head halters anyway.)

On the subject of head halters... I saw a young hound with a head halter on, attached to a loving extendable leash. The owners would arbitrarily stop it spooling out, and the dog would repeatedly whip itself around by its neck. The owners let the dog play with another dog, but again kept locking the leash arbitrarily during the play. I felt absolutely terrible seeing that.

I don't think people realize how dangerous inappropriately used head halters can be.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled primitive breed talk.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Fraction posted:

It doesn't. Constantly correcting a dog that already doesn't give a poo poo about what you want isn't going to make it listen any more than it did before.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Yeah, corrections with primitive breeds only work if you teach the dog what the appropriate behavior is (as in, corrections alone don't work, because the dog will just say "gently caress you" and behave even worse) Huskies are really smart, it's sad that they're using such a backwards form of "training" and incorrectly using a lead that can cause serious damage. :( I'm not going to lie, I correct my dog if he's not behaving well, but a "correction" for him is an attention getting tug on the leash with a "walk nice" command (in case he "forgot"), followed by less slack until he's being good again. And he gets rewarded for good behavior. :mad:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I feel like sometimes people might get the wrong idea about training with primitives, either because they're told (by books and breeders) that the dogs need a lot of training or because the breeder gives them bad advice. I mean I guess I can sort of see how some people might misinterpret "needs training" with "needs you to treat the dog like some sort of abused spouse".

On the other hand, my dad's Finnish Spitz breeder told him that giving her a whap with a news paper when she was poorly behaved and nothing else worked was appropriate and that the breed occasionally "needed it". I have no opinion on the matter, given that I don't think she's ever been that out of hand.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Listen doodz. Forecast calls for a severe downpour of dogs hating life.

April showers...

bring dog cowers.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh hey we have matching TEs. Also your dog is adorable :3: That is an awesome raincoat.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
Anyone wanna try and guess what my Husky is mixed with?

We got him a few years ago from a shelter. His paperwork said full Siberian Husky, but he seems too tall to be a full husky. My guess is some kind of lab due to his temperament, but I don't know.

More pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/royelrayes/sets/72157605761476493/

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I still think he's a full husky. :colbert: BYBs breed some odd looking dogs sometimes, just because they don't give a poo poo what they're mixing.

Also, I haven't seen you around in ages, how are all the dogs doing? You have 3, right? I remember Rum, but I can't remember your last dog's name...

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

There's definitely no lab in that dog. WBag is probably right though, he's probably got some random Northern breed stuff, tail looks more like a Mal tail than most curlyhuskytails that I've seen but who knows v:shobon:v He's loving adorable :3:

OpusD
Sep 7, 2003

I weep for the motherland.
In my childhood we had a dog named Belle that was half German Shepard and half Alaskan Husky. She was extremely territorial and defensive of our yard. She didn't like strangers. She had a ridiculously thick double coat of fur that was annoying. Her playing was a lot like the descriptions as well. She would zoom around and play bite you a lot. She would growl when she played too. Sometimes she'd get so excited zooming around and start biting a little too hard and we'd have to calm her down. She also had a strong prey drive and killed a few of our neighbors chickens before she realized we didn't want her to do it. She was hard to control when she saw other dogs while she was on leash. She could also jump over a 5' fence and escaped our yard once. But, even with all of that she was still very affectionate and caring towards us. She never once actually bit a human though she did a lot of threatening posturing/growling/barking when someone like a meter reader or police officer came to the yard.

dangerz posted:

Anyone wanna try and guess what my Husky is mixed with?

We got him a few years ago from a shelter. His paperwork said full Siberian Husky, but he seems too tall to be a full husky. My guess is some kind of lab due to his temperament, but I don't know.

More pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/royelrayes/sets/72157605761476493/

Belle looked almost identical to this dog except one of her eyes was Shepard brown and the other was that same Husky blue. The ears, head shape, and body shape are the same. Her tail was a little straighter I think.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

WolfensteinBag posted:

I still think he's a full husky. :colbert: BYBs breed some odd looking dogs sometimes, just because they don't give a poo poo what they're mixing.

Also, I haven't seen you around in ages, how are all the dogs doing? You have 3, right? I remember Rum, but I can't remember your last dog's name...
Yaa I dunno.. he just seems tall for a Husky. We've had other huskies at the dog parks and they are always shorter and stockier compared to zook.

Dogs are doing great, thanks :] We moved to Florida so they're enjoying the water. My pack is Tini (rottie mix), Rum (flat coated retriever) and Bazooka (Husky). Tini's 4 now, Rum is 3 and Zook is 3. Time flies when you're having fun :]

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
After much deliberation we have decided when we get a dog in 2012 (after we move) it will be a Shiba. :) Aside from reading books, is there anything I can do now to get ready for having a dog later.
Also what can I expect to pay if I go through a breeder?
Someone posted this in the new puppy thread.
http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba Shiba cam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Dancingthroughlife posted:

After much deliberation we have decided when we get a dog in 2012 (after we move) it will be a Shiba. :) Aside from reading books, is there anything I can do now to get ready for having a dog later.
Also what can I expect to pay if I go through a breeder?
Someone posted this in the new puppy thread.
http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba Shiba cam!

Ooh, awesome! Where bouts do you live? The breeders I admire most generally have dogs around $12-1300, but there's a great breeder here in Dallas (the only one with the National Shiba Club recognition in Texas, though there are some others here that are also great with showing/testing) Last I checked a few years ago, she let them go for about 800, but good luck trying to contact her. She's not tech savvy at all and is bad at getting back to you (though it seems to be better if you're local.)

The books are pretty good, like the Barron's or the Comprehensive Owner's Guide, I'd definitely see if there's a used bookstore (like Halfprice Books) that carries them. I love my copy of Japanese Dogs by Chiba, but being out of print it is harder to find. I lucked out with a $20 used library copy. There are also a few blogs I read with Shiba owners if you are interested. Gives a pretty good "into the life" view.

Also, if you decide you don't want a puppy, the rescues I listed on the Shiba write up are all great, and I think there are like, two or three others I didn't list but since I don't work with them or know much about them, I just left them out.

I love watching those little potatoes, by the way. :3: I tried contacting the breeder a few years ago, asking what health testing they do, if they're CGC etc. since I was interested (their dogs grow up gorgeous and I know they do showing), and they just freaked out I somehow found them (it wasn't hard when they posted in a group I was in...) and never answered my questions. They also went "CGC is not a health testing, it's a behavior thing" almost insinuating I didn't know what I was talking about and I'm somehow dumb. I explained I knew full well what it was and was interested in knowing if their dogs ever got it. Nothing. :sigh: oh well.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 24, 2011

• Locked thread