Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Respect to Bobbin, but I'm voting D: Operation Himinbjörg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serril
Dec 31, 2007

Mort Fun Time
Voting C

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

landcollector posted:

The thing is actually quite cool running for an IS Succession Wars-era mech packing lots of energy weapons, generating a max of 34 heat and sinking 28.

Ooh, I want to ride the variant version of this, which mounts 8 less heat sinks but carries large lasers in arms! It covers every range bracket, you're safe nowhere!

Also, voting for Operation Heaven's Castle or D. Guerrilla raids, baby!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'd really like to vote D, but instead I'm voting C just in case we don't get to see Bobbin's scenario later.

Skillness622
Apr 9, 2009
In the name of Blake! A

I feel taking control of the clans would lessen their impact somewhat, and I really want to see how the goons use Star League tech.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Any of them would be fun and interesting scenarios. Tough choice! Let's go with the operation named for the castle of the watchmen of the Gods.

D.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

Ooh, I want to ride the variant version of this, which mounts 8 less heat sinks but carries large lasers in arms! It covers every range bracket, you're safe nowhere!

Also, voting for Operation Heaven's Castle or D. Guerrilla raids, baby!

The BV for this variant is higher, but so is the heat. A max of 44 heat, a max sinking of 21. I hope you brought a fan or five. I'd post the readout, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread too much.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
I wanna see what Comstar is going to field for a behind enemy lines rescue OP, and then see it get dismantled, cause gently caress Space ATnT.

A

Out of curiosity, will we get the option to revisit Option C at a later point? If so, I feel sorry for Bobbin as his prize went unused (potentially anyway)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

SageSepth posted:

Out of curiosity, will we get the option to revisit Option C at a later point? If so, I feel sorry for Bobbin as his prize went unused (potentially anyway)

I would have voted for Bobbins mission if it hadn't been us controlling the clans this early before we had even seen ComStar.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Affi posted:

I would have voted for Bobbins mission if it hadn't been us controlling the clans this early before we had even seen ComStar.

Yeah, I agree.

I kinda think that the clans should remain the (main) antagonist in this thread.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I'll gamble on the fact that Bobbin's scenario will still be available later, and vote D for now.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

D

'mechs are terror weapons, let's get to it!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Much as I like the sound of Bobbin's scenario, I think it's still a little early for us to be playing as the Clans. So I'm voting A 'cos I'd love to see how the Hell's Horses fight.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My vote:

B[/]b for fukken ]/b]BAGPIPES ON ALL CHANNELS .

Otherwise A, for Comguards... pft.

On the plus side Caesar will still probably get his night with Dusk.

Mukaikubo posted:

Viper pride, surats. Viper pride. Behold what my poor consciousness rolls have wrought; behold, and beware. :devil:
Actually your problem was that you rolled consciousness too well on one turn. If you'd stayed down an extra turn the first time you passed out it would have been fine.

Fraction Jackson posted:

As far as House Marik, they are sort of less developed. I always saw them as very Mediterranean, with heavy Spanish and Greek influences. There may be some central European in there too (Marik could be Czech or Slovak, and Halas certainly is). So I'm not real sure on what their thing would be.
Yugoslavia.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
A for ComGuards!

Come on, we've been sitting it out way too long. I want to see some freaky pseudo-religious mechwarrior freaks bust some clan kneecaps.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
A.

As much as I'd like to see the carnage that players can dish out with an all-Clan fight, I think that taking the step between to Level 2 tech is much more logical.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Voting A

Because the ComGuard rock.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Affi posted:

Absolutely this. It hurts not voting for a PC scenario, but I really, really think it is too early in the thread for it.

e:

A-28
B-3
C-25
D-20

as of Terry's vote below

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 20, 2011

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Voting A. Will NEVER cheer for tube-born scum!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

C vote, because the legacy of Far Country must live on.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

landcollector posted:

Like others have said, Caesar got worked. I'm starting to think that the Clanners being bad at mech melee combat is a lie, since both of them that we engaged in melee won quite thoroughly. What was the Atlas made of, tin foil? A couple strikes and its arm falls off (which Dusk uses to club him)? :ughh:

The Gladiator's charge did 70 damage before any of the punching. Atlases "only" have 304 armor, and 106 of that is on the legs and rear torso, and as such, mostly irrelevant for this. Also, the narration was nifty.

Everseen posted:

I'm interested in C/D, so I'll throw in with the heroic one, though I have no clue what the acronyms mean.

D is the one that features a secret society fighting against a traitor who, among other sins, let a planet of civilians die to further his political motives.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Voting Comguards. I want some classic robot smashing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Am I permitted to vote for C?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Come on, everyone! We were just handed our first defeat by the Clans- do you not want revenge? Playing as the Clans now, without a chance to clear our collective names by defeating a Clan force in the field, is tantamount to mass surrender. While this may amuse me, with my T-shirts and lack of contractions, I doubt much of this thread is quite so eager to concede the Sphere to Clan warriors. The time for this scenario will come, if PTN offers it up again; but the time is not yet ripe.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hard, hard, hard to choose. They all sound great. I'm going to have to abstain again, I couldn't bear to pick between them.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Mukaikubo posted:

Come on, everyone! We were just handed our first defeat by the Clans- do you not want revenge? Playing as the Clans now, without a chance to clear our collective names by defeating a Clan force in the field, is tantamount to mass surrender. While this may amuse me, with my T-shirts and lack of contractions, I doubt much of this thread is quite so eager to concede the Sphere to Clan warriors. The time for this scenario will come, if PTN offers it up again; but the time is not yet ripe.

That's a gamble I am unwilling to take.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
As a pilot in the next mission I don't really want to pilot Clantech. Sorry Bobbin, but I gotta vote D

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Voting D.

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005
Voting A.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Am I permitted to vote for C?

Of course you are!

Either way, this should be fun!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This is clearly what the Inner Sphere will look like in a year:

After the Vipers take Terra and become the ilClan, they will find life isn't peaches and roses, as the rest of the Sphere fails to bow to them while the other Clans attempt to dethrone them.

This gives Hanse Davion the time he needs to merge the Federated Suns with the Capellan Confederation, under the watchful eye of his adopted son Justin Allard-Davion. Added to this a desperate ComGuard offers all the military and technological might at its disposal to Hanse in an attempt to reclaim Terra.

With this all under heel, the Armed Forces of the Federated Confederation (AFFC) launches a successful counterattack, catching the Steel Vipers completely off guard. Where the Vipers offer Steiner rules, the AFFC offers the dangerous end of a Ceres Huang Di Ultra Autocannon. Where the Vipers offer Zel, the AFFC offers the full firepower of a Regimental Combat Team.

Eventually, the Federated Confederation is victorious, but Hanse sees no need to give the liberated planets back to their original owners. With no other choice available to them, the other Great Houses surrender to the AFFC, forming a unified Inner Sphere. Elected first lord of the new Star League, Hanse Davion sends the full might of his armies against the Clan homeworlds, not resting until every trueborn is nothing but bad memories.

Once that is done, Hanse will give up the throne to his son Justin, before taking his BattleMaster with him into retirement in the Periphery. He would last be seen taking a midnight stroll through the streets of Taurus in his mech.

Vote ComGuard

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 20, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

PTN, I have to know: did you actually roll out that Ceasar Vs. Dusk fight, or did you just fiat it to go where you wanted it to go?

That duel was going to happen no matter how the mission turned out. The only variable (based on total victory / victory / partial victory / failure) was the outcome.

SageSepth posted:

Yeah, that one will stay avaliable until we play it or the thread dies; whichever happens first.

Arquinsiel posted:

Actually your problem was that you rolled consciousness too well on one turn. If you'd stayed down an extra turn the first time you passed out it would have been fine.

Since Sam was the last-man-standing at that point, any turns spent unconscious weren't counting against the time limit.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, that one will stay avaliable until we play it or the thread dies; whichever happens first.

Excellent, that eases my conscience a lot. We can keep our introductory "You are Clanners now" match until after we have had another taste of exactly WHY they are so horrifically brutal if you do not play all sorts of games with their honor.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

That duel was going to happen no matter how the mission turned out. The only variable (based on total victory / victory / partial victory / failure) was the outcome.

Awh. That's kinda...

I dunno. Disappointing. Especially given that it shows the Vipers, despite supposedly having no melee training, schooling the Inner Sphere twice in the arena of physical dueling, the only place where Spheroids ought to have the clear upper-hand, since Clan Tech offers zero advantages to physical attack, and frequently offers outright disadvantages.

quote:

In that case I'll change my vote to D. I just don't want to play as the loving ComGuard, and I especially don't want to rescue that lunatic prophetess nutjob Waterly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I dunno. Disappointing. Especially given that it shows the Vipers, despite supposedly having no melee training, schooling the Inner Sphere twice in the arena of physical dueling, the only place where Spheroids ought to have the clear upper-hand, since Clan Tech offers zero advantages to physical attack, and frequently offers outright disadvantages.

Dusk's a 2/2, even with the Clan melee penalty that puts her on slightly worse terms than Caeser (2/2). She's also in a 'Mech that can move 8 hexes on a charge--and that was the real deciding factor. Just because they don't care for Melee doesn't mean they can't do it at all.

Regardless, I'm not defending my narrative choices. That fight would've gone much differently if the players had won even a partial victory; but I'm not going to Stackpole up my narrative by rolling a bunch of dice. His narrative always contained a little too much "and the laser stitched a line of holes across the Atlas' left torso".

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
If we can come back to Bobbin's later then I'll change my vote to D as well.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

The Gladiator's charge did 70 damage before any of the punching. Atlases "only" have 304 armor, and 106 of that is on the legs and rear torso, and as such, mostly irrelevant for this. Also, the narration was nifty.

D is the one that features a secret society fighting against a traitor who, among other sins, let a planet of civilians die to further his political motives.

I'm unfamiliar with the charging rules. How do they work?

Edit: I will agree that the narration was pretty :black101:.

v v vGeez, that can add up to major damage.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 20, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

landcollector posted:

I'm unfamiliar with the charging rules. How do they work?

The attacker declares a charge attack in the movement phase, ala a Death From Above. The attacker has to have enough movement points to reach the defenders hex. Damage to the defender is 1 per 10 tons of the attacker, multiplied by the number of hexes it moves in a straight line. So an assault mech moving that many hexes in a straight shot is going to do an absolute ton of damage. The attacker takes 1 point of damage per 10 tons of the target. Both mechs need to make a PSR if the attack is successful.

See: The greatest scout mech in existence

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 20, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, the Gladiator's charge is scary poo poo. A 95-toner running eight hexe and then slamming into you is like being that guy who gets shot in the stomach with a cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Or: Now you know why the Charger is called Charger.

• Locked thread