Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Corbet posted:

It's great watching a bunch of Gaga fans turning on her:

(her tattoo is two words, one on each wrist, and most people don't even realize it's from a Gaga song).

She looks like the type of broad who'd get 'Love' and 'Revenge' inked down the sides of her forearms in bigass print.

Judas finally grew on me, though it took me pointedly listening to it and digging through it about 20 times before it because the best earworm of the month.

I'd love the BTW album cover so much more if she'd just change the font on the top slightly. Or completely. Either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006
I don't know why everyone gets up in arms about her songwriting, the point is to sell albums and concert tickets and merch to gay men and teenage girls, not create modern high art. Don't criticize it for not being something it isn't intended to be.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

If she hates how the homosexual population propagates poo poo music, why did she even get a Gaga tattoo in the first place?! I mean, Lady Gaga has been pretty open about her homosexual support from the start.

Her first gigs were in small gay clubs. Her carrier was created in part to the positive reception the gay community gave her.

And she has the audacity to support those queers! Traitor!

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

How the hell is anyone just figuring out now Gaga is very much down with the queers? :wtc:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I just wish she would stop being so religious (or anti religion if you will) not because I care, but because it's creating a large divide between her fans and it's hard to enter a forum now without people claiming she's the Antichrist or the devil. It's just annoying and pointless, even if her message has good criticism of the catholic church, she's only going to preach to the choir or piss off a bunch of people. I just wanna hear fun super gay pop music :sigh:

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

somnambulist posted:

I just wanna hear fun super gay pop music :sigh:

I want her to be a princess again, not my nightmares.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oraculum Animi posted:

Her first gigs were in small gay clubs. Her carrier was created in part to the positive reception the gay community gave her.

And she has the audacity to support those queers! Traitor!

The person in question is aware that Gaga has tons of support from the "queers", her best friend is gay (and a huge Gaga fan). I think the point she was making is that the homosexual community will propagate her music regardless of the quality because she's such a huge figure within the community.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Which would be completely false anyways, the first people to compare Gaga to Madonna when Born this Way came out were the gays. "Oh hellllll no, no she didn't, this is express yourself!"

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

somnambulist posted:

Which would be completely false anyways, the first people to compare Gaga to Madonna when Born this Way came out were the gays. "Oh hellllll no, no she didn't, this is express yourself!"
I'm having troubles finding The Gays' press release ("Re: Born This Way, 'Oh hellllll no'"), do you have a link handy?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

het posted:

I'm having troubles finding The Gays' press release ("Re: Born This Way, 'Oh hellllll no'"), do you have a link handy?

I don't, but if you go to West Hollywood you will see lots of Express Yourself / Born this Way mashups. :p

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

^^^ It really wasn't "the gays" who first pointed that out, I don't know what you're going for or hoping to prove

Corbet posted:

The person in question is aware that Gaga has tons of support from the "queers", her best friend is gay (and a huge Gaga fan). I think the point she was making is that the homosexual community will propagate her music regardless of the quality because she's such a huge figure within the community.

Do you know what her tattoo is?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Foaming Chicken posted:

^^^ It really wasn't "the gays" who first pointed that out, I don't know what you're going for or hoping to prove

Do you know what her tattoo is?

Finally tracked it down from her wall:

'Amour' and 'Revanche' (Love and Revenge)

Bewildrbeast posted:

She looks like the type of broad who'd get 'Love' and 'Revenge' inked down the sides of her forearms in bigass print.

We have a winner!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 19, 2011

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Mmm yes album cover art is so very relevant in an age where all music is digitally distributed.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Just came home from her show at the Gwinett Arena outside of Atlanta. She kicked rear end. I loved every minute of it.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Seeing Gaga tonight in Nashville. How many of you guys are gonna be there?

I'm going to show up around 3-4PM to wait in line. I hope it isn't too crazy.

Actually, I do.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

AgentHaiTo posted:

Just came home from her show at the Gwinett Arena outside of Atlanta. She kicked rear end. I loved every minute of it.

Sup Atlanta Monster Ball buddy :hfive: It was completely awesome and I was right on the left side of the catwalk near the stage, so it was a great view. The disco bra was indeed a big hit in line too. :3: The only mildly disappointing thing was that Semi Precious Weapons was back as the opener instead of Scissor Sisters. But what a goddamned show.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mental Midget posted:

Mmm yes album cover art is so very relevant in an age where all music is digitally distributed.

Good cover art is timeless. :colbert:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
And people will still talk about the Gagacycle in twenty years.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Corbet posted:

We have a winner!

:aaaaa:
Have there been any good Gaga tattoos? I didn't know people even did that, but I suppose it makes sense as the younger adults don't seem to understand that they'll live past 30 these days...

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mental Midget posted:

Just so you know i'll be buying this album in CD format from a store

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Mental Midget posted:

You obviously haven't experienced the joys of an iTunes library in grid view.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Loomer posted:

And people will still talk about the Gagacycle in twenty years.

Having people talk about your album album cover because it's poo poo will only take you so far (point in case: the covers of the last couple of Weezer albums).

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Burn Zone posted:

Seeing Gaga tonight in Nashville. How many of you guys are gonna be there?

I'm going to show up around 3-4PM to wait in line. I hope it isn't too crazy.

Actually, I do.

See you there. Gonna be great

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Silver Brushes posted:

See you there. Gonna be great

Hell yes it was awesome. All the gay guys near us going apeshit when she played Boys Boys Boys made my night. :3: We came from Jackson and the weather's going to hell so we had to leave after Bad Romance, what did we miss?

Also: DAT rear end :stare:

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Hell yes it was awesome. All the gay guys near us going apeshit when she played Boys Boys Boys made my night. :3: We came from Jackson and the weather's going to hell so we had to leave after Bad Romance, what did we miss?

Born this Way is now the encore, so unless she did something different in nashville you missed that :(

One of her dancers waved at my friend after Boys Boys Boys and he totally lost it. :3:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Yeah you missed the full-on Born This Way. But we did get a pretty sick piano version in the middle of the set. I have to say that maybe my favorite part was the phone call to Ance :3

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Weird Al made a spoof on Born this Way called "Perform this Way" but Gaga didn't like it so he's not going to release it on his album.

Here's the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxXKfQkswE&sns=fb

Here is a blog about it: http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/

Excerpts:

Weird Al posted:

I had written, recorded, mixed and mastered 11 of the 12 songs for my new album and was just waiting to come up with that one elusive “big idea” for a parody that I thought I could turn into the lead single and video. I was well aware that “Born This Way” was coming out, and I thought that just might be the pop culture juggernaut I had been waiting for… but after hearing the song, I was reluctant to tackle it. Because it was such an earnest human rights anthem, I thought some people might consider a parody to be in poor taste. Plus, I was really kinda predisposed not to do a Lady Gaga parody anyway because, well, that’s what everybody in the universe was already assuming I would do, and I hate to be so predictable.

I had my manager contact Lady Gaga’s manager to see if she would okay the parody. Here was the exact pitch:

I’d like to do a parody of Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” called “I Perform This Way.” The basic concept is that I, as a Lady Gaga doppelganger of sorts, describe the incredibly extravagant ways in which I perform on stage. Meat dresses and giant eggs would most likely be referenced, but also much more ridiculous made-up examples of bizarre wardrobe and stage production. As with all my parodies, it would be respectful of the artist, while having a bit of fun with her larger-than-life image.

I hadn’t written a single line of the song at this point, but that was the concept I had in my head. Because of my 30-year track record, most artists know that my songs are all in good fun and they’re more than happy to approve a parody just based on the concept alone.

We eventually got a response from the Gaga camp: she would need to “hear it” before she would approve it.

We send the lyrics to Lady Gaga and wait on figurative pins and needles for her to give us the go-ahead. After a few days, we get our answer: “She actually needs to hear it. Otherwise the answer is no.”

Hmm. Well, this was mystifying to me. At this point she has the lyrics… and hopefully she is familiar with her own song… and the parody is basically her music… with my lyrics. It really shouldn’t be that hard to decide – based on having the lyrics right in front of you – whether or not you’d be “okay” with a parody. But, alas, we’d been given an ultimatum. If she didn’t hear it, she wouldn’t approve it.

After the Australian tour, I was supposed to go on a long-awaited family vacation over my daughter’s spring break – but because I now had to record what ostensibly was going to be my “hit single” as quickly as humanly possible, I cut our vacation short and came back to L.A. to spend long days and nights in the studio. The band and I worked around the clock. On April 11, I put the finishing touches on the mix and mastered the track. Done.

Or so I thought.

A couple days later we got the final word: Lady Gaga says “no.”

Who's not down with the Weird Al? He was even going to donate the proceeds!

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
edit: BEATEN!

"Weird Al" Yankovic has released a parody of "Born This Way."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxXKfQkswE

It won't be on his next album though. Here's the full story.

In short, Al pitched the song to Gaga, and due to the nature of "Born This Way," he also decided he would donate all proceeds made from his parody to the Human Rights Campaign. Gaga said she wanted to hear it before deciding whether to give permission or not. He wrote the lyrics, and sent those to her, but she still said no, she wanted to hear it first. So Al went into the studio, and wasted his time recording it before finally getting the answer of "No." Al complied, saying he wouldn't release the song on his album, but has put it on YouTube since parody is protected under Fair Use.

What a shame, especially given the fact that Al was going to donate all the proceeds to the HRC. My question is, since Lady Gaga isn't really one to give a gently caress about what people say about her, why would she care about a Weird Al parody?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I thought it was a lovely parody and I think he's a whiny rear end in a top hat for posting such a huge thing about it. And this is coming from a long, long time Weird Al fan.

On the other hand, it is weird and a shame that she didn't let him do it, especially with the promise to donate the proceeds to the HRC.

Oh well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Legs Benedict posted:

I thought it was a lovely parody and I think he's a whiny rear end in a top hat for posting such a huge thing about it. And this is coming from a long, long time Weird Al fan.

On the other hand, it is weird and a shame that she didn't let him do it, especially with the promise to donate the proceeds to the HRC.

Oh well.

Yeah, why would she say no? The single is guaranteed to sell a significant amount, which means a lot of money going to charity. And why insist on making him write, record, and mix the whole song before saying no?

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Apparently this is not the case.

TMZ posted:

Lady Gaga is adamant ... she did NOT ban Weird Al Yankovic from parodying her hit song "Born This Way" -- despite Al's accusation that the pop star shut him down hard recently.

Weird Al ripped into Gaga on his blog this morning -- claiming the egg-encased pop star strung him along for weeks while he tried to get her approval for his parody "Perform This Way" ... and ultimately rejected the proposal.

But sources extremely close to the singer tell us, "There must of been a misunderstanding because [Gaga] is in no way trying to block the release of the parody."

According to sources, "She's busy touring and hasn't heard the song yet. Her manager hasn't had a chance to play it for her yet" -- adding, "She's a huge Weird Al fan."

A bizarre situation -- because Al claims Gaga's manager is the one who denied him in the first place ... forcing him to release "Perform This Way" unofficially on YouTube.

So what's going on? Did Gaga's manager just never tell her about it and try to quietly shove the Weird Al parody under the rug? This is all too confusing...

Edit: And the saga continues in this interview with Weird Al...

quote:

Q.
And you’re certain the decision was coming directly from her?

A.
You were kind of implying that it was her camp – they expressed over and over that it was in fact Lady Gaga herself making the decision. So unless they were not being truthful, we were dealing through her manager. He always strongly implied he was just a gateway, that Lady Gaga would have the final decision; it was completely up to her.

Q.
Did you get any explanation of why Lady Gaga said no?

A.
No. We’ve been asking. After she said no initially, we went back to her and explained the whole charity thing. I even said that I’d be willing to revise my lyrics if there was anything in there that was potentially really offensive to her. I kind of feel bad that I even did that, because that sounds kind of pathetic. But I really wanted this parody to come out, and I was willing to bend over, even further than I had already. But we got no response, and after a week they just confirmed that the answer was still no. At that point I decided that I would leak it out there.

So what's going on? Is Lady Gaga lying to cover up all the bad publicity she's getting from this? Or was her manager blatantly keeping the parody a secret from Gaga and lying to Al the whole time? This is messed up...

weirdojace fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 20, 2011

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

weirdojace posted:

So what's going on? Is Lady Gaga lying to cover up all the bad publicity she's getting from this? Or was her manager blatantly keeping the parody a secret from Gaga and lying to Al the whole time? This is messed up...

I wouldn't say there's bad publicity for this because no one gives a poo poo about Weird Al anymore but his long time fans. Honestly, like the other poster, I think Weird Al is fine but this parody isn't very funny.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

weekly font posted:

I wouldn't say there's bad publicity for this because no one gives a poo poo about Weird Al anymore but his long time fans. Honestly, like the other poster, I think Weird Al is fine but this parody isn't very funny.
I don't know about that. His last album was his highest-charting ever, with a single that went platinum. But yeah, compared to how amazingly huge Gaga is, it wouldn't put much of a dent into her reputation. I doubt she's backpedaling, it was probably just a dumb miscommunication on someone's part.

Hopefully the song can still be released as a single because of the charity potential. I bet they could make a pertty good video for that song considering Weird Al's budget is more than the hundreds of youtube parodies that are made these days.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
If they wanted to, they could release the song as a single and make the video because it falls under the parody provisions of fair use. However, it's Weird Al's personal policy that he never releases a parody unless the songwriter and/or musician are OK with it. As he himself put it:

"Weird Al" Yankovic posted:

My parodies have always fallen under what the courts call “fair use,” and this one was no different, legally allowing me to record and release it without permission. But it has always been my personal policy to get the consent of the original artist before including my parodies on any album, so of course I will respect Gaga’s wishes. However, given the circumstances, I have no problem with allowing people to hear it online, because I also have a personal policy not to completely waste my stinking time.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

wa27 posted:

I don't know about that. His last album was his highest-charting ever, with a single that went platinum.

This. People do still care about him and he continues to do extremely well with each album he releases. To say nobody gives a poo poo about him is just wrong, whether you like his music or not.

But now that Gaga is out saying she didn't reject it, I'm wondering what's gonna happen with this thing. My guess is her manager never showed it to her and was lying to Weird Al the entire time.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
The person who did the interview with Weird Al for the New York Times is now reporting Lady Gaga has given him her blessing to release the song.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
That's an awful parody and Weird Al should be ashamed of it. The whole thing basically attacks her, instead of making light fun of a song like 'Eat it.'
BTW love Judas and don't hate the art work. :)

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005

Dancingthroughlife posted:

That's an awful parody and Weird Al should be ashamed of it. The whole thing basically attacks her, instead of making light fun of a song like 'Eat it.'

It's not like he doesn't have a history of that. True, the song is no "Smells Like Nirvana", but then "Born This Way" is no "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
From the New York Times...

quote:

Jay Levey, a manager for “Weird” Al Yankovic, said on Wednesday evening that permission had been given for “Perform This Way” to appear on Mr. Yankovic’s new album. An update was expected to appear on Mr. Yankovic’s blog.

I'm glad it had a happy ending after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Dancingthroughlife posted:

That's a good point, I hadn't realized his formula is really just mocking the style with a completely different subject.

I pre-ordered the album after I saw Gagacycle.

• Locked thread