Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dyne posted:

I like the 2012 impreza front end quite a bit.

Seeing it in the flesh like that, it really does look like a baby last gen legacy.

That's a very good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dyne posted:

The today show had the 2012 impreza, the beetle, fiat, and a couple other cars on their show this morning. The impreza starts at around 1:30 with the beetle after

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/42660232#42660232

I like the 2012 impreza front end quite a bit.

And here to tell us about these new cars is a bootleg version of James May.

Looking forward to seeing the new Impreza in WRX/STi trim.

Lazareth
Dec 28, 2004
haha, i'm not an '05, take that!
http://jalopnik.com/#!5793887/scion-fr+s-is-the-new-toyota-ft+86 Wow, I actually want a Scion. Just saying that makes me loathe myself.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Impreza Hatch photos just came out. Looks OK.

If nothing else, they've kept overall dimensions the same while expanding the wheelbase and reducing weight by 110 pounds to 2,911 lbs for the base spec manual hatch, which is pretty drat good for a car with the added weight of AWD.

Subaru Product Planner Kenneth Lim posted:

The profile of the front, the sharpness everywhere, all this was about fuel economy, with considerations of aesthetics afterward...We optimized the length and profile of the roof and the sharp edges get air off the car and away from it instead of being turbulent against the car, and sucking against the car in the rear. It reduced drag, and we have a much-reduced Cd.

Sedan also looks good. Front end detailing and contouring looks good without being too busy. I like the angled cuts on the rear glass of the hatch, since hatches can often get too bubbly looking. I also really appreciate the hatch's skinny D pillar and generous greenhouse. Looks like Toyota by way of Nissan's GT-R styling - bland slightly ugly sculpting but with a vaguely mechanical look.

I am down with the styling. Much better than the new Legacy, which had some awkward proportions (too tall).

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 20, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The Scion FR-S Concept turned out to be a bit wilder than what we last saw:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5794071/scion-fr+s-concept-is-so-hot-we-can-taste-it

I think the front fender arches are more pronounced? Overall, it looks more consistent but also a more real car.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cream_Filling posted:

Impreza Hatch photos just came out. Looks OK.

Introducing the 2012 Subaru Impreza "Mom Jeans" Edition. Seriously, who gets excited about a minivan anyway these days?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It'll look nice without the roof rails and in WRX form.

Interior looks like a *huge* step up.

My only real concern is that they'll stick with the 5-spd in the WRX. The 2.0 still has one. Otherwise, love it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I think the front fender arches are more pronounced? Overall, it looks more consistent but also a more real car.

I hope that makes it to production, those are some good looking lines.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrChips posted:

Introducing the 2012 Subaru Impreza "Mom Jeans" Edition. Seriously, who gets excited about a minivan anyway these days?

Dunno looks more or less like any other hatch. I like the general restraint in gimmicky styling details - no enormous headlights or superfluous vents, and appreciate the big greenhouse even though it makes it look a little more like a van. High beltlines look "sporty" but aren't particularly practical. It looks more van-like in photos with no real scale reference, but in person It's a pretty compact car still.

One thing that I do dislike is how they moved away from the strong upper character line that was meant to ape BMW and went with the strong lower character line connecting the two arches, which makes it look kind of bottom-heavy and is a little too reminiscent of the ugly body cladding of the Outback models. The chunky rear fenders also make it a little rear end-heavy, but they at least have a legitimate aero purpose.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Muffinpox posted:

I hope that makes it to production, those are some good looking lines.

I cant wait to see just how much this and the FT-86 Production versions are going to let every one down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Impreza getting itself back under 3,000lbs is HUGE, especially since they managed to increase the wheelbase.

I dig the hatch, too bad it'll be another year or so before we see how they embellish it for the WRX.

It has the potential to look mean though since this model is much more square.

Edit:

Also, they managed to make the less powerful 2.0L engine quicker than the 2.5L.

quote:

That's 22 horses and 25 pound-feet down from the previous motor, but with the CVT and lighter weight it still gets to 60 miles per hour in 9.8 seconds – a 0.3-second improvement. Not only that, but every passing metric, 50 mph to 70 mph, for instance, is improved.

The fuel-economy benefits of the motor and the sleeker body add up to EPA ratings 27 miles per gallon in the city, 36 on the highway for the new Lineartronic CVT-equipped Impreza, a 30-percent improvement, and 25 city/33 highway for the five-speed manual.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 20, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New toyota matrix!

You can really see the bloodlines there.

sorry subaru fans

edit: that fuel mileage is pretty good, the last impreza was only rated at 27mpg highway.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 20, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Looks more like the Vibe, but your point remains exactly the same. I love the 2nd gen Vibe, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Edit:^^^^^drat you!

Actually, I would say it looks closer to the Vibe.

Then again, most hatches look alike nowadays. If you read the article, you can see that most of the styling was actually dictated by aerodynamics rather than trying to go for a specific visual look.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like the MPG gauge thing, but it would be better if it had numbers instead of just + and -.

It's not just hatches either, most sedans seem to be blending into eachother as well.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

New toyota matrix!

You can really see the bloodlines there.

sorry subaru fans

edit: that fuel mileage is pretty good, the last impreza was only rated at 27mpg highway.

Sick Minivan brah.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
poo poo, I didn't think Subaru could make the old hatch look good, there they go.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Powershift posted:

See the little arrow next to the picture of a gas pump? That tells you the gas cap is on the passenger side of the car. Lots of new cars are doing this, and it's a simple, elegant solution to a common problem.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The Impreza getting itself back under 3,000lbs is HUGE, especially since they managed to increase the wheelbase.

[...]

Also, they managed to make the less powerful 2.0L engine quicker than the 2.5L.

Bodes real well for the WRX and STI versions, that's for sure.

heat posted:

See the little arrow next to the picture of a gas pump? That tells you the gas cap is on the passenger side of the car. Lots of new cars are doing this, and it's a simple, elegant solution to a common problem.

My 07 WRX has this. My Protege doesn't, and the cap's on the other side of the car - that's annoying.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

heat posted:

I thought lots of cars had lettering on the dash gauges for where the cap was? If anything, I like it when the nozzle on the diagram could be mentally pulled out and plugged into the the filler, which is not satisfied here. The arrow isn't great without accompanying text. Does it mean which side the filler is on, or how the nozzle should plug into the car?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My 07 WRX has this. My Protege doesn't, and the cap's on the other side of the car - that's annoying.

That's kind of funny because I think my 1992 Protege did have the arrow. My 2002 WRX does.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Getting lots of R class Mercedes in this, which isn't good. The roof comes up too high then slopes back down weird. Hope it looks better in the flesh.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kimbo305 posted:

I thought lots of cars had lettering on the dash gauges for where the cap was? If anything, I like it when the nozzle on the diagram could be mentally pulled out and plugged into the the filler, which is not satisfied here. The arrow isn't great without accompanying text. Does it mean which side the filler is on, or how the nozzle should plug into the car?

What? It always means what side the cap is on, i dont know how you would assume otherwise.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

D C posted:

What? It always means what side the cap is on, i dont know how you would assume otherwise.

The way I see it, the diagram is showing me the process of fueling: line up to gas pump on your left, then the nozzle pulls out and to the right, into the filler. The arrow next to the pump can be interpreted as action.

My car has this, in no uncertain terms:
< FUEL FILL DOOR

No possible confusion.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My 67 cougar had the filler cap behind the licence plate at the back of the car and could fuel up from either side, that's the most obvious, most elegant, and most convenient solution. :colbert:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

In roofline without the roof rack, I'm seeing a little bit of a couple gens of Civic hatch

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 20, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Holy poo poo. I don't mind the current gen Impreza because it looks kind of awkward. This just looks.....boring.

Cream_Filling posted:

http://i.imgur.com/RAQZ8.jpg
Anyone else seeing the Prius V?

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 20, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not really sure how you can say this redesign looks boring but the current model does not.

Take away the flared fenders of the WRX/STI, and the current Impreza has all the styling of a slightly used bar of soap.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

kimbo305 posted:

The way I see it, the diagram is showing me the process of fueling: line up to gas pump on your left, then the nozzle pulls out and to the right, into the filler. The arrow next to the pump can be interpreted as action.

I think this is only a problem if you have autism. Seriously though, what could be more straightforward than an arrow pointing to the side of the car the pump needs to be on? The line of reasoning for someone who isn't completely over-thinking it is: oh I'm puling into a gas station, which side is the gas cap on again, oh yes the passenger side, thank you little arrow.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

bull3964 posted:

I'm not really sure how you can say this redesign looks boring but the current model does not.

Take away the flared fenders of the WRX/STI, and the current Impreza has all the styling of a slightly used bar of soap.

I'll take a bar of soap over a mini-minivan though.

The blue car shots look quite different though. More chevy optra 5 than toyota matrix in those.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Crustashio posted:

I'll take a bar of soap over a mini-minivan though.

I'm just not seeing where anyone can see minivan in that, at least not any more than any other hatch. The windshield angle is too extreme and the beltline is way too low.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

travisray2004 posted:

Holy poo poo. I don't mind the current gen Impreza because it looks kind of awkward. This just looks.....boring.

Anyone else seeing the Prius V?

The laws of fluid dynamics are a harsh mistress. Front end is probably like that on both cars for aero purposes. Same goes for the pseudo kamm back and weird angular lines on the back of the rear bumper, etc.

Eh, the rear end and concave hatch treatment seem closest to the Mazda 3 with maybe a dash of older Ford Focus in the rounded silhouette. The D pillar could have been more distinctive, what with the sort of lame rounded triangular shape they do here, but maybe it might help visibility a bit?

I do wish they could have taken these proportions but kept or even increased the sort of faux-flame surfacing thing they had with the last generation (I say this based on interviews with Subaru designers back then where they explicitly mentioned "BMW-like" as a goal). The nasty flat fender flares and weird Matrix/Outback body-cladding looking lower contour is pretty drat ugly compared to the last generation's strong upper character line, though.

Personally I like boring versus awkward. Add hood scoop and box flares and it's all good.

I mean look at the beloved GC Impreza. Booring.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kimbo305 posted:

Just wanted to point out that my buddy Tony got to go to the NY Auto Show for Jalopnik. Lucky bastard. He is the photographer credited in most of the pictures.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Anyone else really digging that apparently every new car in the world gets about 40mpg? Thats the most exciting thing from New York I think.

PS- I thought las gen's malibu was actually a lot more attractive. A LOT more.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

travisray2004 posted:

This is said after literally every Subaru redesign.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is said after literally every Subaru redesign.

I'm pretty sure nobody ever said the "Flying Vagina" was boring.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

heat posted:

I think this is only a problem if you have autism. Seriously though, what could be more straightforward than an arrow pointing to the side of the car the pump needs to be on? The line of reasoning for someone who isn't completely over-thinking it is: oh I'm puling into a gas station, which side is the gas cap on again, oh yes the passenger side, thank you little arrow.

I'm not even overthinking it. It is completely natural to assume it might be correct to get the picture of the pump to look like how you're pulling up to it in real life. Design isn't always about setting some convention, but sometimes to make sure all the idiots (in this case, me) won't be confused. It would make more sense if it was the outline of the car from behind, with the arrow on the inside and pointed to the correct side.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not even overthinking it. It is completely natural to assume it might be correct to get the picture of the pump to look like how you're pulling up to it in real life. Design isn't always about setting some convention, but sometimes to make sure all the idiots (in this case, me) won't be confused. It would make more sense if it was the outline of the car from behind, with the arrow on the inside and pointed to the correct side.

Yeah, you really are.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

kimbo305 posted:

It is completely natural to assume it might be correct to get the picture of the pump to look like how you're pulling up to it in real life.

On what planet? It's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Q_res posted:

On what planet? It's ridiculous.

All I'm saying is to reduce confusion if it all possible. On a shopping car, there's that placard that shows how you place your kid in the fold out "seat," along with 3 ways not to do it. On a shift knob, a pattern marks where the gates are located. These are all just little visual aids. It makes sense to me that, when my low fuel light comes on as a fuel pump, that maybe it's oriented that way for a reason.

Here, this is the perfect design -- insistent redundancy:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/493387779_698a706367_z.jpg