Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Thunderbolt Users:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1027804

This ROM (BAMF 1.5) is straight up amazing. Someone at Verizon leaked the new updates to the 4G radio and this ROM has implemented them. This morning at around 11am I installed the new version of the ROM and the new radio at 50% battery life, and now at 9:30pm I am at 35% battery life with moderate-to-heavy use. These new changes involve the 3G/4G searching/switching and are just simply awesome. The link has more information on exactly what changed with this radio. This is a MUST HAVE for all Thunderbolt owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Does switching to 3G only work with it? I've seen comments in the radio's XDA thread suggesting this is broken with the new radio. I tend to distrust that a lot of their non-developer posters know what they are doing, though.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

Does switching to 3G only work with it? I've seen comments in the radio's XDA thread suggesting this is broken with the new radio. I tend to distrust that a lot of their non-developer posters know what they are doing, though.

yeah, it works fine (this is on BAMF 1.5 Remix). I mainly do that during car rides.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Yeah it's working fine for me. I really don't take any advice on xda unless its a dev or another reputable poster. It's nice to see my phone struggle less with poor 4G signal :)

mewse
May 2, 2006

i'm a noob and haven't owned any android devices yet.

i'm looking into the nexus s, i'm currently running a jailbroken iphone 3gs.

is tethering a native feature of android 2.3? with my iphone i was able to get USB tethering fairly easily by installing some ubuntu packages on my netbook.

is the carrier able to block tethering on the nexus s? my 500mb data plan isn't supposed to have tethering on my iphone.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I am just overwhelmed with the amount of stuff to install on this old G1.

CyanogenMod 6 seemed painfully slow.

I tried another that promised speed, but was based off 1.5.

There is so much old info from 2009/2010 as well. One post on XDA talks about the "newest" image of something, then links to one half a dozen revisions old (instead of a link to the site where the newest can be downloaded). I'm afraid to click any link on any forum because of how old and out-dated so much info it.

Many ROMs have info posted like "wifi doesn't work. GPS doesn't work. YouTube doesn't work.", etc.

Is CyanogenMod 6 simply the newest/best option for the G1? Is there nothing better?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

You could try the Dwang ROMs I guess. G1 is really really outdated (and I'm a former G1 apologist).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

mewse posted:

is the carrier able to block tethering on the nexus s? my 500mb data plan isn't supposed to have tethering on my iphone.

2.3 does have tethering built-in.

Xenomorph posted:

Is CyanogenMod 6 simply the newest/best option for the G1? Is there nothing better?

Surprise, surprise, device with 2.5-year old hardware is slow. If you bought the G1 as an iOS user to look at Android, you'd be better off just not having a G1. It's not a good look at all into Android these days.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

Surprise, surprise, device with 2.5-year old hardware is slow. If you bought the G1 as an iOS user to look at Android, you'd be better off just not having a G1. It's not a good look at all into Android these days.

From what I've seen, the G1 performed just as poorly at launch.

A 3 year old iPhone can be wiped and perform a hell of a lot better than the G1.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

From what I've seen, the G1 performed just as poorly at launch.

A 3 year old iPhone can be wiped and perform a hell of a lot better than the G1.

The G1 has always been pretty dang crappy though. Whatever you paid for it it was probably too much, and would have been better off getting a cheap new phone.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

fishmech posted:

The G1 has always been pretty dang crappy though. Whatever you paid for it it was probably too much, and would have been better off getting a cheap new phone.

If you know of any functional Android for only $40 (what I paid for the G1) on eBay or Craigslist that is better than the G1, let me know.

Plus, I'm sure I got a good $10-$20 worth knowledge out of the device already. It almost pays for itself!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Xenomorph posted:

If you know of any functional Android for only $40 (what I paid for the G1) on eBay or Craigslist that is better than the G1, let me know.

Plus, I'm sure I got a good $10-$20 worth knowledge out of the device already. It almost pays for itself!

If you plan on using it as your primary device, you might also want to assign a dollar value to pain and irritation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

If you're ready to sign a new contract with AT&T the HTC Inspire is basically top of the line and only $49 on the contract.

And for gently caress's sake the G1 can't even handle multitouch.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Should I unroot my Thunderbolt before taking it into VZW for an exchange? Or do you think a simple factory wipe will do it?

Here's my issues causing me to go back to VZW

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

JayKay posted:

Should I unroot my Thunderbolt before taking it into VZW for an exchange? Or do you think a simple factory wipe will do it?

Here's my issues causing me to go back to VZW

I would recommend doing an unroot as depending on how you do the factory wipe it may remain rooted.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I don't know if you can get it in the USA, but the San Francisco is a good low cost smartphone.

It's £99 in the UK (which usually translates to about $99 in the US), it's got a high def screen with similar specs to the Wildfire. It's not the fastest phone in the world, but anything is going to be better than the G1, and I say that as a former G1 owner, and current HTC Desire owner. The G1 is a pile of crap.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Sure it does.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Rohaq posted:

I don't know if you can get it in the USA, but the San Francisco is a good low cost smartphone.

It's £99 in the UK (which usually translates to about $99 in the US), it's got a high def screen with similar specs to the Wildfire. It's not the fastest phone in the world, but anything is going to be better than the G1, and I say that as a former G1 owner, and current HTC Desire owner. The G1 is a pile of crap.

$260 shipped is the cheapest I saw any "San Francisco" Android phone on eBay.

I don't want to spend that much on a phone unless I _know_ I will like it and use it a lot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well like I said, you're on AT&T and if you're willing and able to start a new contract, you can get the HTC Inspire for $49.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm at actually at the end of two-year contracts for all three phones on my family plan. ^_^

I am personally waiting for the iPhone 5. My wife wants a simple flip-phone. However, I told her she could just buy a simple phone and let me grab a nice Android phone with the contract-discount (my daughter wants a real keyboard on her phone, but also really likes my iPhone).

What is the best AT&T Android phone right now? The HTC Aria? How rootable and hackable is that? I'm blown away about how much poo poo I've already tweaked and flashed on my G1 (compared to something like my new bootrom iPhone 3GS).

Also, I just followed the guide for this ROM on my G1:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=929678

"Froyo by Laszlo" v5.2 (based on Android 2.2.1)

my G1 setup:
HBOOT-1.33.0013d
RADIO-2.22.28.25
96 Meg swap (not enabled yet in this ROM), 512MB ext4 partition.

So far it seems the quickest/best ROM I've used (even compared to some 1.5 ROM I tried earlier).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

What is the best AT&T Android phone right now? The HTC Aria? How rootable and hackable is that? I'm blown away about how much poo poo I've already tweaked and flashed on my G1 (compared to something like my new bootrom iPhone 3GS).

The Aria is actually a semi-lowend phone, although a great budget phone. The HTC Inspire is the best on AT&T right now, unless you prefer to have dual core and limited hackability options with the Atrix.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

fishmech posted:

does it better than the Nexus One

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Xenomorph posted:

my G1 setup:
HBOOT-1.33.0013d
RADIO-2.22.28.25

So far it seems the quickest/best ROM I've used (even compared to some 1.5 ROM I tried earlier).

From the screenshots it looks like dev built in overclock options, so make sure you overclock it to the maximum if it's not set to that by default.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Xenomorph posted:

I'm at actually at the end of two-year contracts for all three phones on my family plan. ^_^

I am personally waiting for the iPhone 5. My wife wants a simple flip-phone. However, I told her she could just buy a simple phone and let me grab a nice Android phone with the contract-discount (my daughter wants a real keyboard on her phone, but also really likes my iPhone).

Also, I just followed the guide for this ROM on my G1:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=929678

my G1 setup:
HBOOT-1.33.0013d
RADIO-2.22.28.25

The fastest G1 ROM I ever ran was Dwang's last build, which is based off of 1.6. It's mostly stock with a few additions and tweaks and runs like a champ, but limits your options for apps.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
Is mirroring not working on CM7 RC4 for evo? I've tried different kernels, I've tried different cables, i've tried different TVS. All that happens when I plug in my HDMI cables is it locks up the phone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Scrubed posted:

Is mirroring not working on CM7 RC4 for evo? I've tried different kernels, I've tried different cables, i've tried different TVS. All that happens when I plug in my HDMI cables is it locks up the phone.

Have you tried using the final instead of an RC?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

I bought a Droid for $50 from a friend who got it for free at a Google conference. Maybe you could try that. For a time Droid phones were ~$100 on eBay, too.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

fishmech posted:

Have you tried using the final instead of an RC?

Oops. yes. Using the final.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009
I'm running MIUI on my Desire and updated it to the latest build (1.4.15). However suddenly i'm getting force closes all over the shop, is it worth backing up my settings and doing a clean install or is this a common problem with the build?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

pmMike posted:

I'm running MIUI on my Desire and updated it to the latest build (1.4.15). However suddenly i'm getting force closes all over the shop, is it worth backing up my settings and doing a clean install or is this a common problem with the build?

I didn't have this issue on my N1, and Desire's an official device so it shouldn't see a complete poo poo release like that. Recommend backing up and doing a straight reflash (no wipe), if that doesn't work, wipe+reflash.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

Casao posted:

I didn't have this issue on my N1, and Desire's an official device so it shouldn't see a complete poo poo release like that. Recommend backing up and doing a straight reflash (no wipe), if that doesn't work, wipe+reflash.

A fresh wipe did it, I think it must have been a conflicting theme or something. Thanks for your help!

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
I have a Galaxy S and since rooting it its become insanely cantankerous when its powered off and then powered on again, hanging on the initial desktop with a black screen for up to a minute sometimes before loading anything. Anybody know whats up?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Scrubed posted:

Oops. yes. Using the final.
I just started playing with HDMI mirroring on my Evo (seriously, like 20 minutes ago) using HDMwIn off the market. No custom kernel needed on CM7 final, and so far it works fine aside from force closing if I try to toggle audio passthrough with mirroring active.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My google voice is broken and has been since I threw on CM7 RC4. Any ideas? Just crashes out when I try to launch, and the widget shows nothing. Right now i'm running ok barring this problem on the 41 nightly build, but still can't get that voice working...

Edit: Sorted with an uninstall -> reinstall from Market. I did have to go on to wifi for the market to show up the first time after installing the nightly, but it works fine on any data connection now.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 21, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Furnok Dorn posted:

I have a Galaxy S and since rooting it its become insanely cantankerous when its powered off and then powered on again, hanging on the initial desktop with a black screen for up to a minute sometimes before loading anything. Anybody know whats up?
You Galaxy S guys really need to start cluing everyone else in on which model you're using - there's a shitload of different Galaxy S phones.

But as to the problem, which launcher are you using? The latest version of Launcher Pro has been doing that to me, force closing and relaunching once usually solves the problem.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Civil posted:

You Galaxy S guys really need to start cluing everyone else in on which model you're using - there's a shitload of different Galaxy S phones.

But as to the problem, which launcher are you using? The latest version of Launcher Pro has been doing that to me, force closing and relaunching once usually solves the problem.
That also happens with me using Launcher Pro on CM7 on my Desire HD.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Furnok Dorn posted:

This has been happening to me with the latest version of LPP on my Fascinate running both Blackhole and CM6. What model SGS are you running and what (if any) home replacement are you using.

Also yea, when conversing on a forum about the SGS it is a good idea to include which variation you have, especially when it comes to rooting/custom roms and such.

Starbux
Jul 25, 2009

The Three Smugmigos
:smug::hf::mmmsmug::hf::smug:
Can anyone shed some light for me? I want to switch to the Das BAMF 1.5 remix ROM for the Thunderbolt, but I don't know if the ROM includes the new upgraded radio or not. I've heard really great things about the new leaked radio, but I know nothing about how to flash a radio and I hear it's risky.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I feel like this is Googleable, but I can't get the right combination of words to find the right bit of information.

I am running Cyanogenmod's latest, with ADW (I think that comes default, I certainly didn't do anything unique). I have 7 desktop screens, and I want it to be arranged such that the middle (4th) screen is the home page, and then I'd have 3 pages of various other things on both sides. Pushing home would always take me to the 4th page, so I'd be in the middle, and it'd be symmetrical. Right now, home takes me to the 3rd of 7 screens, and I just can't figure out how to change that. I tried switching screens 3 and 4, but it just takes me to the new 3rd screen. I tried deleting a screen to the right, and recreating it on the left, but it still goes to the 3rd, no matter what's actually there.

Any idea how to change it to the 4th screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I feel like this is Googleable, but I can't get the right combination of words to find the right bit of information.

I am running Cyanogenmod's latest, with ADW (I think that comes default, I certainly didn't do anything unique). I have 7 desktop screens, and I want it to be arranged such that the middle (4th) screen is the home page, and then I'd have 3 pages of various other things on both sides. Pushing home would always take me to the 4th page, so I'd be in the middle, and it'd be symmetrical. Right now, home takes me to the 3rd of 7 screens, and I just can't figure out how to change that. I tried switching screens 3 and 4, but it just takes me to the new 3rd screen. I tried deleting a screen to the right, and recreating it on the left, but it still goes to the 3rd, no matter what's actually there.

Any idea how to change it to the 4th screen?

Menu > Edit > Scroll to the proper screen and hit the Home above it.