Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

EnsGDT posted:

Can anyone think of examples of work done where the camera is in a fish tank on a water line and it floats back and forth between the two, sort of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiagpXBKt1Q

Happens in The Life Aquatic, I think it happens in Lost in Translation too but I haven't seen that in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
https://vimeo.com/22155917

As part of a camera test for an upcoming film, my classmate Kyle and I have been playing with the Red Lake highspeed camera. A prototype of the Y5 I believe. The interface we have to use with it is super non-intuitive, but we're getting some slick stuff.

Anybody have any sort of significant high speed experience, particularly with a Red Lake?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Anyone going to NAB?
I'll be assisting Robert Starling at the Angenieux booth, showing off their new lens on his Steadicam. Come on by and say hello! And check out the slick lens, as well :)

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

ogopogo posted:

Anyone going to NAB?
I'll be assisting Robert Starling at the Angenieux booth, showing off their new lens on his Steadicam. Come on by and say hello! And check out the slick lens, as well :)

I'll be there Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'll see you guys there!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Pretty sure I met Steadiman today :) No idea if he knows who I am but I was that goofy tall dude with Starling!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

EnsGDT posted:

Can anyone think of examples of work done where the camera is in a fish tank on a water line and it floats back and forth between the two, sort of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiagpXBKt1Q

The chopper crash in The Life Aquatic.

on that note, I was always fascinated by this shot in Boogie Nights where the camera goes all around at a pool party and at the end follows a girl into the pool, and THEN continues to float above the surface as well. Is the camera just in a housing for the entire shot? I don't know jack about underwater shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCrGpT84G9Y

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ogopogo posted:

Pretty sure I met Steadiman today :) No idea if he knows who I am but I was that goofy tall dude with Starling!

Are you the German guy who was somehow taller than Garrett?

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
So the new NAB Alexa line up must be making red poo poo bricks right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orUvQ29OsIM

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
That's all cool but I think they're still apples and oranges, or maybe more like screwdrivers and wrenches.

:ughh: vvvvv

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 15, 2011

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I'd compare it to a leatherman to a rock

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Here's a new reel based on some stuff I shot at a concert the other weekend: http://vimeo.com/22446361 It was my first time using a 5D, no shoulder brace and a huge lens so there was a fair amount more shake than I would have liked, but I cut this together of my selects to send to the director to save him some stuff combing through my footage (he shot everything on a 7D w/ a wide angle and a shoulder brace so his footage is solid all the way thru).

http://vimeo.com/22446361

It's way too long, but it's off to a decent start. I've got a bunch more projects to add to it, I'm just waiting on the OK from different folks for me to include.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations on shotgun microphones for a student? I guess I'm looking for something cheap, flexible and good quality. My camera's an XH A1 and has XLR ports as well as regular TRS mic inputs, so my options are pretty wide in that aspect. Something that can go between boom pole and camera mount would be handy as well, but I don't think most shotgun mics would complicate that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Slim Pickens posted:

Any recommendations on shotgun microphones for a student? I guess I'm looking for something cheap, flexible and good quality. My camera's an XH A1 and has XLR ports as well as regular TRS mic inputs, so my options are pretty wide in that aspect. Something that can go between boom pole and camera mount would be handy as well, but I don't think most shotgun mics would complicate that.

What's your budget? You could go with a Rode NTG-1 or a Rode Videomic if your budget is less than $300.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

Slim Pickens posted:

I finally got a budget shotgun mic and got the Audio Technica AT897. I'm liking it so far.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300615-REG/Audio_Technica_AT897_AT897_Short_Condenser.html

Although, I bought the shotgun mic kit for $800 on that site that came with the boom pole, dead cat, and a few other accessories. I've only used the mic 2-3 times so far, but I like it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

What's your budget? You could go with a Rode NTG-1 or a Rode Videomic if your budget is less than $300.

I was hoping for something a little less than that. The equipment cage has decent audio equipment, but I was just looking to become somewhat independent of that process until farther down the line. They only give out shure sm58's for first year students, and it's one day rental only.

I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for a decent deal on equipment.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 19, 2011

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

I was hoping for something a little less than that. The equipment cage has decent audio equipment, but I was just looking to become somewhat independent of that process until farther down the line. They only give out shure sm58's for first year students, and it's one day rental only.

I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for a decent deal on equipment.

The Rode Videomic is about $185, but that's not including shipping or sales tax. You could go lower by going with Azden. But holy poo poo, only SM58s for first years? That's ridiculous.

Rode Videomic Booming kit @ B&H

Where will the majority of filming be? If it's outside: shotguns. If it's inside: hypercardioid condensers.

I've heard these CAD CM217s are pretty decent for indoor dialogue recording on the cheap.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why hypercardioid instead of a plain cardioid? Just for a slight bit of ambiance? I can't imagine the sound of the ceiling being particularly interesting otherwise.

Anyways, it'll probably be a mix of indoor and outdoor. I think a regular cardioid shotgun would work for most of what I want.

I was looking through B&H, and I think this MXL FR-304 might serve me well. I'm pretty sure the one negative review was some retard who forgot to turn on the phantom power. Used or improvised poles and shock mounts shouldn't be too difficult to find/make cheap(or so I hope).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Why hypercardioid instead of a plain cardioid? Just for a slight bit of ambiance? I can't imagine the sound of the ceiling being particularly interesting otherwise.

Because C2V on DVXUser can explain it better than me, I'll just copy and paste his explanation:

C2V on DVXUser posted:

Shotgun mics reject almost everything that's off-axis. The one thing they cannot ignore, even from the sides, is bass spectrum. As that bounces around the room, it will muddy up the sound (whether the mic is next to the ceiling or not). Shotguns also have a small, narrow lobe of acceptance at 180º (to the rear of the element). This pulls in direct reflections that clog the signal and make everything sound hollow and "bathroomy" in highly reflective rooms. Basically, the same interference tube design that makes it reject so well outdoors is what pulls in too many acoustic problems indoors.

A hypercardioid also has a lobe of acceptance to the rear, but it's a slightly wider lobe. While it also will pull in secondary reflections, it's not trying (and failing) to reject most of them and it ends up with a much more "natural" sound in a reflective space. The tighter-than-a-standard-cardioid lobe to the front also helps isolate the dialog above the reflections of the room, while the off-axis rejection to the sides does keep many of the problems in the room at bay.

Shotguns will behave perfectly well indoors if the room is a pretty dead space, meaning lots of absorption from carpeting and furniture and wall/ceiling treatments. But that kind of space is very, very rare. You can also use shotguns in super-large places (sound stages, etc.). But for most of what film makers will incur for interiors (houses, apartments, offices) the hypercardioid is going to be a better choice.

quote:

Anyways, it'll probably be a mix of indoor and outdoor. I think a regular cardioid shotgun would work for most of what I want.

I was looking through B&H, and I think this MXL FR-304 might serve me well. I'm pretty sure the one negative review was some retard who forgot to turn on the phantom power. Used or improvised poles and shock mounts shouldn't be too difficult to find/make cheap(or so I hope).

That MXL looks fine, so go ahead, though I would still find something not-a-shotgun to use for interiors.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good explanation, thanks for the repost. Guess I should read up on dvinfo a ton more.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In that vein, can someone recommend a budget not-shotgun for indoors? Right now we have an ME66/K6 combo as our main mic, with a Studio Projects B1 large diaphram condenser for VO work. Almost all of our work is indoors and most of that is in highly reflective environments. I don't need it to be self powered like the ME66/K6--we just got a fantastic deal on that combo.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

In that vein, can someone recommend a budget not-shotgun for indoors? Right now we have an ME66/K6 combo as our main mic, with a Studio Projects B1 large diaphram condenser for VO work. Almost all of our work is indoors and most of that is in highly reflective environments. I don't need it to be self powered like the ME66/K6--we just got a fantastic deal on that combo.

What's the budget? You could go for an Oktava MK-12 hypercardioid condenser if you got roughly $300 bucks to spend.

If you want really budget, the link I posted to the CAD CM12s or whatever I hear are decent for indoor work.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've looked at those Oktava's before, but the reviews suggested they were super sensitive to handling noise and tricky to use on a boom. Any personal experience with em?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

I've looked at those Oktava's before, but the reviews suggested they were super sensitive to handling noise and tricky to use on a boom. Any personal experience with em?

I've never handled them personally, though I would think that as long as you have it on a shock mount with a windshield, it should be fine.

You could go the route I did and get a Rode NT3, but that thing... loving christ, booming that poo poo is a nightmare. :argh:

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Welp, at Indie Rentals, where I work, we just got the new Sony F-3's and the new high-speed Diablo Y5.

The F-3 is awesome, way better than the AF-100 (which we also carry). It has a true 35mm sensor and all the bells and whistles you could want short of getting a RED. I found that on the AF-100 the highlights turn green and it just looks so "video-y" but the F-3 looks great. We threw an Angenieux Optimo lens on it to try it out, baller.

The Diablo is basically just like a Phantom that you can control from your iPhone. It does up to 1455 fps! Haven't shot anything with it yet but it looks awesome. I'll post something when I shoot a test.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

For the price I sure would hope the F3 is better than the AF100. If it wasn't, Sony would have a problem on their hands.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
I was skeptical but the shortcomings of the AF-100 make it worth the price difference. It surprised me too because I expected a lot more from the AF-100.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

SquareDog posted:

Welp, at Indie Rentals, where I work, we just got the new Sony F-3's and the new high-speed Diablo Y5.

The F-3 is awesome, way better than the AF-100 (which we also carry). It has a true 35mm sensor and all the bells and whistles you could want short of getting a RED. I found that on the AF-100 the highlights turn green and it just looks so "video-y" but the F-3 looks great. We threw an Angenieux Optimo lens on it to try it out, baller.

The Diablo is basically just like a Phantom that you can control from your iPhone. It does up to 1455 fps! Haven't shot anything with it yet but it looks awesome. I'll post something when I shoot a test.

Any thoughts on hooking the F-3 up to an Atomos Ninja to record 4:4:4 straight from the sensor through the HDMI port? The guy who runs cinema5d has been jizzing in his pants over this, but I haven't seen any footage yet.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

SquareDog posted:

I was skeptical but the shortcomings of the AF-100 make it worth the price difference. It surprised me too because I expected a lot more from the AF-100.

What do you see as the big shortcomings of the af100? It has been humming along fine for us.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Well like I said the highlights turn green right before they blow out, the crop factor is even worse than the 7D, the color space and bit-rate is on the low end, it's just looks very "videoey" even with the narrow depth of field and the battery situation is insulting. You have to buy new batteries even though they are the same as the old ones except that they cut a little groove out of the bottom so that the old batteries won't fit. why?

The crop factor, green highlights and videoey look rules it out of anything other than a documentary, concerts or reality TV. Show this next to an F-3 and any pro is going to pick the F-3.

Just sayin'!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

SquareDog posted:

Well like I said the highlights turn green right before they blow out

What lens are you using? That could be chromatic aberration coming from the lens rather than the sensor.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
No chance, it's the camera sensor. Doesn't matter if you have a Zeiss Super Speed or an Angenieux Optimo. :/

EDIT:

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Any thoughts on hooking the F-3 up to an Atomos Ninja to record 4:4:4 straight from the sensor through the HDMI port? The guy who runs cinema5d has been jizzing in his pants over this, but I haven't seen any footage yet.

We haven't tried it yet but The HDMI signal needs to have absolutely NO MARKINGS overlaying the image, no frame guides, no info, nothing. Because these devices record everything fed in to it. For this reason they can't work with 5D's or 7D's, if you try you get the white focus square recorded on to the footage. Don't know about the F-3 though.

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 22, 2011

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I don't think the Samurai is out yet, or won't be until this summer. EDIT: yep, already shipping. Still ordering this summer. Also, I think the highest the Samurai records is Apple ProResHQ, which is 4:2:2. Are you thinking of the Blackmagic Hyperdeck Suttle? That records uncompressed HD over HDMI and HDSDI. Costs $345 vs the Samurai's ~$1500, but the Shuttle requires SSD drives that are capable of recording uncompressed HD.

I'm probably getting the Samurai when it comes out so I can record footage on my Steadicam sled and bring footage home with me without hassling production.

Tiresias fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 22, 2011

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

SquareDog posted:

No chance, it's the camera sensor. Doesn't matter if you have a Zeiss Super Speed or an Angenieux Optimo. :/

That's kind of strange. I really have not seen that, nor do people seem to be complaining about it. For sure the AF100 has some limitations, but really the F3 is 3x the cost, before lenses, not really a fair comparison.

I love our AF100, just like I love our 500, but yeah if we could have an F3 or an alexa instead I'd probably swap out.

Wouldn't give up the 500 though unless I could get into a p2 varicam. Love those EFP/ENG cameras.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
You make me want to throw it up and test it out again. I'll look at it next week.

Oh and GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT, the latest short film that I directed, titled Zineb's Journey, was accepted in to Cannes short film corner. Yay!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

ogopogo posted:

Ha that was you? Hadn't even occured to me. But thanks for pulling focus for me too, I realize I didn't make it particularly easy. Also that model was way too cute and I already lost her number and forgot her name :(. Ah well, Vegas...

Didn't get to see much but I am insanely interested in the Samurai! That thing looked almost too good to be true, I'll wait for some user reviews before committing but I really want one!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

SquareDog posted:

You make me want to throw it up and test it out again. I'll look at it next week.

Oh and GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT, the latest short film that I directed, titled Zineb's Journey, was accepted in to Cannes short film corner. Yay!

Congrats! That seems like a pretty big deal. :)

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

Steadiman posted:

Ha that was you? Hadn't even occured to me. But thanks for pulling focus for me too, I realize I didn't make it particularly easy. Also that model was way too cute and I already lost her number and forgot her name :(. Ah well, Vegas...

Didn't get to see much but I am insanely interested in the Samurai! That thing looked almost too good to be true, I'll wait for some user reviews before committing but I really want one!

You could probably ask Robert for her name and number, he gave me the impression she works with the Angenieux folks pretty regularly. I also hear she's *ahem* probably very friendly with someone who works there. Regardless, press on my good man!

I too can't wait to see a Samurai, I need to get my own ordered so I can figure out the cable situation. On one hand, I can only use it for SD since my sled isn't wired for HD yet, but after I do an HD upgrade, I'll want to use it.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

SquareDog posted:

This is pretty awesome, man. Are you gonna be there?

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
No :/ Can't afford to and they aren't giving us tickets to fly there.

Today they sent me an e-mail with info on where and how to get my Cannes badges once I arrive at the festival. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

SquareDog posted:

No :/ Can't afford to and they aren't giving us tickets to fly there.

Today they sent me an e-mail with info on where and how to get my Cannes badges once I arrive at the festival. :(

Dam. Did you call them back to say "listen, I really want to be there to represent my film, but I can't afford it, is there anything you can do to help me get there? It could change my life."

They like to hear that kind of stuff.