Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Brown Moses posted:

Speaking of terrible stand ups, I just realised watching Britain's Got Talent that one of the reason I loathe Michael Mcintyre is he's insincere in exactly the same way Tony Blair was.

Wait, Britain's Got Talent is back? Yay! :woop:

Piers Morgan's been replaced by the Hoff? Well I guess that's an improvement :unsmith:

Simon's gone?! Oh man, that sucks. :sigh:

I wonder who they got to replace him. Some guy called... Michael Mac- :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

netally posted:

On a completely unrelated note, is anyone else sick of shows about giving birth? Flicking through the channels has become a minefield lately. Every other show seems to feature gruesome childbirth scenes. And the women at my work won't shut the gently caress up about One Born Every Minute.

The beeb are running a season of programmes on young parents that might be why you keep seeing them?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Dicky B posted:

Yes, just like bands and art and food.
this is a terrible analogy and you know it

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Rarity posted:

Simon's gone?! Oh man, that sucks. :sigh:

I wonder who they got to replace him. Some guy called... Michael Mac- :suicide:

The only reason I watched it yesterday was to see Michael McIntyre! He's awesome!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lurchibles posted:

The only reason I watched it yesterday was to see Michael McIntyre! He's awesome!

To be fair he's not quite as bad as he normally is. I think the fact he's not the focus of the show helps a lot.

Also, bejeezus that first show was terrible. Looks like we've used up all of Britain's talent now.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lurchibles posted:

"I've done the same mundane crap as you've probably done, but i'm telling you about it in an exaggerated way. Laugh you poor cretins, laugh. Some guy drying his bollocks in a changing room, WHO DOES THAT??? HE'S MENTAL ISN'T HE. LAUGH AT MY WITTY OBSERVATIONS!"

:edi:

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Stop being MEAN to MICHAEL McIntyre he has his problems TOO.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

this is a terrible analogy and you know it
I dunno what you're saying other than that for some reason you think comedy is objective

:itisagoon:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just finished my Hornblower boxset again and I have to say, I really do hope ITV did something with all those Napoleonic era costumes like donating them to musuems and reinactment groups instead of tossing them into a vault for future projects which looks like they will never happen.

The quality and research into them is incredibly impressive. They even got the pre-Napoleon Revolutionary uniforms spot on for the French soldiers.

On the same note stupid cliffhanger ending argh!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

netally posted:

I don't get why people watch stand up on TV. I love seeing a good comic live, but so much of the experience depends on the atmosphere and the audience. Maybe my attention span is ridiculously low.

For this reason, even though I like Ross noble, his stand up dvds are hard to watch. You need to be there to see why he's gone off on a mad tangent.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oh that poor simple Romanian lad in The Hotel. I'd like to see how that manager would manage if someone was barking orders at him in foreign language.

And the proposal :ohdear:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Trickjaw posted:

Oh that poor simple Romanian lad in The Hotel. I'd like to see how that manager would manage if someone was barking orders at him in foreign language.

And the proposal :ohdear:

It's his own fault. He seems pretty thick (inability to do simple things like move chairs or tables without breaking things) and he chose to come and work in a country where he doesn't know the language very well.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Well 2011 sucks so far, First the Brigadier and now Sarah Jane :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13137674

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Lord Dekks posted:

Well 2011 sucks so far, First the Brigadier and now Sarah Jane :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13137674

Oh for gently caress's sake :(

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

Also, bejeezus that first show was terrible. Looks like we've used up all of Britain's talent now.

Yeah it did show us how talentless we are really. I'll be honest though, my expectations were very low to begin with.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It like the old variety shows!

But with some really rubbish variety.

Also, last episode of White Van Man. Was pretty drat good series over all. Ended on a cliff hanger so I'm guessing they will be picked up again at some point.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
BBC two still does a "pages from ceefax" broadcast, late at night. It's on now. for 40mins between 3.20am and 4.00am on a wednesday night / thursday morning.

This has made me happier than it should have done.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SeanBeansShako posted:

It like the old variety shows!

But with some really rubbish variety.

In it's defence, previous seasons have thrown up some really good talent that you'd never be able to see on any other show (eg. Diversity, Spelbound, the Regurgitator) and Simon Cowell's always really laid-back about it so he's actually entertaining. It's just about enough to look past all the sob stories and generic singers who should be on X-Factor instead.

Looks like this season's lacking all of those good things though :(

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Ben Soosneb posted:

BBC two still does a "pages from ceefax" broadcast, late at night. It's on now. for 40mins between 3.20am and 4.00am on a wednesday night / thursday morning.

This has made me happier than it should have done.

There also have Ceefax online:

http://www.ceefax.tv/txtmaster.php?page=100&subpage=0&channel=bbc1&search_string=news&fontsize=2

Edit: Looks like information hasn't been updated in a few years :( It used to be a live mirror.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
There's a Bamboozle app for the iPhone. I forgot how impossible that drat game was. I always preferred teletext to ceefax. I liked reading the cheap holiday ads with the palm tree pictures and the personal ads.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

slotbadger posted:

Don't quite a lot of comedians produce a new hour of material each year? Tim Vine has at least four hours worth of horrible-yet-amazing jokes. You see the same faces show up at Edinburgh every year with a new set. Most comedians do their job.

I've worked in the Edinburgh Festival 3 years running and can sadly say most comedians have about 20% new material/ 80% old material in their acts.

I loved Jason Bourne the first time I saw him :smith:

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

The Supreme Court posted:

I loved Jason Bourne the first time I saw him :smith:

You mean Jason Byrne, right? Bourne would be rubbish at stand-up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

netally posted:

There's a Bamboozle app for the iPhone. I forgot how impossible that drat game was. I always preferred teletext to ceefax. I liked reading the cheap holiday ads with the palm tree pictures and the personal ads.

gently caress yeah, Bamboozle and the Teletex Kids section for life.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

gently caress yeah, Bamboozle and the Teletex Kids section for life.

Digitiser was, and 7 years later still is, some of the best games related writing ever produced.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

slotbadger posted:

You mean Jason Byrne, right? Bourne would be rubbish at stand-up.

Haha, I'd love to see that. Jason Byrne can be great, but I think he does too much talking to the audience stuff, though I haven't seen him in a long time.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Pasco posted:

Digitiser was, and 7 years later still is, some of the best games related writing ever produced.

RIP Digitiser :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Moc-moc-a-moc

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jawidar posted:

RIP Digitiser :(

That... That doesn't look like a worm! :gonk:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Mr Biffo did a Press Reveal drawing for me once as a way of cussing me. I think it was a man with a massive hand.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ugh, David Mitchell damaging the positive push for AV. :smith:

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
David Mitchell being forced to cut off Clive Anderson is a pretty clear demonstration of one of the big reasons 10 O'Clock Live shouldn't be live.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Padje posted:

Mr Biffo did a Press Reveal drawing for me once as a way of cussing me. I think it was a man with a massive hand.
In an excuse to use a load of fish-based puns, I once wrote in talking about Sega Bass Fishing on the Dreamcast. Mr Biffo said he knew "eggs-actly what I meant" :3:. On another occasion he called me "daddy cynical" :v:.

Digi :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Some Strange Flea posted:

David Mitchell being forced to cut off Clive Anderson is a pretty clear demonstration of one of the big reasons 10 O'Clock Live shouldn't be live.

I just can't be bothered watching it anymore. The section overcrowding makes them cut some people off just as they're getting going in the interview, and then they have roundtable debates with the most moronic loving individuals I've seen outside of a question time audience. When they're not doing that, Charlie Brooker spends half his time ranting about the things he normally bemoans people ranting about and Jimmy Carr does some poo poo sketches where he has to mug for laughs. When I do bother to watch an edition on 4od I just end up skipping chunks because they don't do anything other than piss me off.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
It shouldn't be 1h05 either. They get 3 minutes of banter time before the end. Get rid of Jimmy's costume bits and make him do the less serious interviews

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

goatface posted:

I just can't be bothered watching it anymore. The section overcrowding makes them cut some people off just as they're getting going in the interview, and then they have roundtable debates with the most moronic loving individuals I've seen outside of a question time audience. When they're not doing that, Charlie Brooker spends half his time ranting about the things he normally bemoans people ranting about and Jimmy Carr does some poo poo sketches where he has to mug for laughs. When I do bother to watch an edition on 4od I just end up skipping chunks because they don't do anything other than piss me off.

It just shouldn't be live. If they cut it up it would be fantastic. Right now it's just so hit & miss it's not worth watching :(

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Channel 4 should really just throw a shitload of cash at Mark Thomas and let him do whatever he wants, because the Comedy Product was infinitely better than the making GBS threads 10 O'Clock Show.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A version of The Manifesto where they give him a bunch of cash to go campaigning could be pretty funny.

Or you could just have leftist comedy hour with Mark Thomas, Jeremy Hardy and Mark Steele spending an hour every week plotting how to bring down the conservative party.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Thick Of It defos this year? Watching In The Loop again and I need more.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

spe posted:

Apparently. It's way later than it was supposed to be. Election special, hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

spe posted:

Supposed to be series 4, and it was commissioned last year. They're really dragging their heals, personally I doubt it'll be broadcast before the autumn.