Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D! Umlauts and terr'ism! A little down the line, we can see our boys playing Far Clantry too. But for now, umlaut.

Now, something that's been bugging me. How Awesome is the Awesome, anyway? Highly specialized machines do better than the usual IS "let's install an rear end-facing laser" nonsense, right? And you don't get much more specialized than three shots of the "I'll make you watch you wet yourself" gun.

EDIT: Balls almighty, a new page. Welp, better provide something. I hope this isn't a repost. Picked it up off of the some imageboard somewhere a while back.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I'm voting D because it sounds intriguing and ComStar will be there next turn most likely.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zaodai posted:

Conveniently, Operation Himinbjörg translates literally to "Operation Gratuitous Umlaut".

It's the name of the castle of the Norse god Heimdallr. Given the context, probably a raid on ComStar for some juicy forbidden knowledge.

Obviously D is the best choice.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I'm going to vote D as well.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Mark another one for D. It is still too early to play with LosTech.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I feel...

I...

I switch from A to D.

I must know what Heimdall is doing. :(

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
D too! Terrorism and mechs sounds like fun.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

I am really, strongly tempted to vote A, but I think I am going to have to vote D.

Curiosity killed the Mad Cat.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

I feel...

I...

I switch from A to D.

I must know what Heimdall is doing. :(

Knowing that C won't win this and that ComGuard will be an option down the line (it always is), I guess I shall join you.

Switching from A to D. I was thinking about it all day, but now I am actually doing this.

A-38
B-3
C-20
D-41

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

This is an absolutely incredible last second surge of support for D. Unprecendented.

I hope PTN did not get halfway through typing an update already.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Wow, people actually don't want to advance a step up the tech ladder to Comstar's Star League-vintage mechs? 3 scenarios with crappy Succession Wars-era tech isn't enough for you? Oh well, let the votes speak for themselves...whatever the result, it will be interesting to see what PTN has in store for us.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

The current unofficial returns are in, folks, and we have a real nailbiter on our hands. It is a three way race, even though Himinbjorg is trailing they could still mount a major push to catch up with the Scorpion Uhlans and the Comguards.

And from the mouths of bondsmen...

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Voting D let's see some toys.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Bozart posted:

Voting D let's see some toys.

A would be the one with the toys. Just sayin'

EDIT: I already voted, this isn't a vote (in the interests of not throwing off the count)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, D is a privately funded splinter group; they're going to be a big step down from the 2nd Donegal.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Really, I only voted for them because I've halfway convinced myself that they're going to pilot mechs with fantasy-viking helms and have a skald along to compose an epic poem about the whole event.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

wiegieman posted:

It's the name of the castle of the Norse god Heimdallr. Given the context, probably a raid on ComStar for some juicy forbidden knowledge.

Obviously D is the best choice.

That's a very interesting idea, glad I voted for this one. I'll probably go C next time, I'm not at all interested in the ComGuard tbh.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's funny, every time I vote for a faction, it ends up losing at the last second (except for the first vote, where I was the only one to vote for the Davion Heavy Guard).

"We'll get to them next time" is going to bite you all in the rear end when next time never gets here. =P

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Voting A so we can say the Com Guards were used, notice how crazy they are, and then Murder them as the Clans.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zaodai posted:

It's funny, every time I vote for a faction, it ends up losing at the last second (except for the first vote, where I was the only one to vote for the Davion Heavy Guard).

"We'll get to them next time" is going to bite you all in the rear end when next time never gets here. =P

To be fair, this time it's the Com Guard. Unless things go incredibly badly incredibly quickly, they will always be there next time.

That said, I stand by my vote of A. We need to engage the Clanners on more equal footing and rescue Waterly before the Clans drain her dry.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Since we can play Bobbin's mission later, I will also switch my vote from C to D.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

landcollector posted:

Wow, people actually don't want to advance a step up the tech ladder to Comstar's Star League-vintage mechs? 3 scenarios with crappy Succession Wars-era tech isn't enough for you? Oh well, let the votes speak for themselves...whatever the result, it will be interesting to see what PTN has in store for us.

We want pretzels and beer. Is that too much to ask?!

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
How did it slip my mind never to sign up for the endless pilot list?? Count me in, PTN; if there's even an off chance of getting a mech headshotted in public, I want it.

Voting A. Com Guards amuse me.

Edit: I am available whenever and have PMs. Not the busiest fellow these days.

LegioPraetoria fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 21, 2011

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Polaron posted:

We need to engage the Clanners on more equal footing and rescue Waterly before the Clans drain her dry.

Let 'em, it can only lead to hilarious episodes of Clan Park where new sibkos learn "THIS IS WHAT INNER SPHEROIDS REALLY BELIEVE"

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Switching from A to D

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Polaron posted:

To be fair, this time it's the Com Guard. Unless things go incredibly badly incredibly quickly, they will always be there next time.

That said, I stand by my vote of A. We need to engage the Clanners on more equal footing and rescue Waterly before the Clans drain her dry.

Doing some meta speculation, based on the brilliant insight by wiegieman above that the terrorists are going to steal something off comguard, we actually have a rather cool meta-choice here.

If we rescue Waterly, the religious elements of Comstar will get a boost. However, if waterly dies and.. say.. a Comstar memory core is handed over, the secular, open elements of Comstar will get a boost.

So voting for Comstar now is voting for a religious Comstar, whereas if you want a purely athesistic evil megacorporation, you can vote for the terrorists!

Total speculation though and probably bullshit

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Doing some meta speculation, based on the brilliant insight by wiegieman above that the terrorists are going to steal something off comguard, we actually have a rather cool meta-choice here.

If we rescue Waterly, the religious elements of Comstar will get a boost. However, if waterly dies and.. say.. a Comstar memory core is handed over, the secular, open elements of Comstar will get a boost.

So voting for Comstar now is voting for a religious Comstar, whereas if you want a purely athesistic evil megacorporation, you can vote for the terrorists!

I am still betting that the Heimdall mission is either:

1. Duke Lestrade Must Die

2. (wildcard) Katrina Steiner has been replaced by a double. The real Archon must be restored to the throne by any means necessary.

I am likely wrong.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Notgothic posted:

Let 'em, it can only lead to hilarious episodes of Clan Park where new sibkos learn "THIS IS WHAT INNER SPHEROIDS REALLY BELIEVE"

Will video surveillance tapes of Caesar end up being their version of Mandingo?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Polaron posted:

The ComGuard may be better suited to fight the Clans than the Great Houses, but they're still not at parity with the Clans, and their stockpiles are (theoretically) limited. Sooner or later, they're either going to get rolled or their mission will be so lopsided it will be irrelevant that they have lostech to use. A single Level II against a cluster of 'mechs and REDACTED or the like.

Props to Felime for the spite vote though. Doing it to be a dick is still a better reason than "Meh, we can delay them as long as we want". =P

[EDIT] And there's always the chance that you stall so long the Wobbies say gently caress your poo poo and start a ComStar civil war. So it's not really a "religious ComStar vs atheist ComStar" approach for certain.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 21, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

How Awesome is the Awesome, anyway?

In my experience Awesomes are pretty awesome indeed. Like any specialized mech, they excel at their role, which is shooting from mid-long range, but being an assault class mech they can take more punishment than a catapult or rifleman. Get in close against them with a short-range loadout and they will suffer, but that's true of any long-range mech and a couple token medium lasers won't change that. Especially when one is installed backwards.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Props to Felime for the spite vote though. Doing it to be a dick is still a better reason than "Meh, we can delay them as long as we want". =P

Yeah, Honestly, the time of lovely IS machines being useless at eachother won't last long either, I'll certainly be voting for comstar before any other combat with the clans.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The thing is though if we don't vote for the ComGuard now who's to say the mission changes when we get a chance to vote for them later? It could end up still being the same mission just with altered conditions, in effect making Myndo Waterly a Schrodinger's Lunatic.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Zaodai posted:

Not gonna lie, it's kinda fun to not like you. On the plus side (for you), you now have a great power to influence votes!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

The ComGuard may be better suited to fight the Clans than the Great Houses, but they're still not at parity with the Clans, and their stockpiles are (theoretically) limited. Sooner or later, they're either going to get rolled or their mission will be so lopsided it will be irrelevant that they have lostech to use. A single Level II against a cluster of 'mechs and REDACTED or the like.

[EDIT] And there's always the chance that you stall so long the Wobbies say gently caress your poo poo and start a ComStar civil war. So it's not really a "religious ComStar vs atheist ComStar" approach for certain.

ComStar's limits aren't materiel (the Sol system has an industrial output that's like Hesperus and Luthien and Irian combined) but their really small number of experienced troops. Once ComStar exhausts the mercenary units they have absorbed and their ROM commandos, they're going to have to start arming the Houses just because they don't have anyone left who can hit a stationary target.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
This is like election day results only with Comguards vote acutally saving the IS and D being some lyran circle jerk :patriot:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pretty sure if the ComGuard win without Focht around we just trade one evil overlord for another.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Pretty sure if the ComGuard win without Focht around we just trade one evil overlord for another.

Operation Scorpion, everybody. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only The Phone Company.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Notgothic posted:

Not gonna lie, it's kinda fun to not like you. On the plus side (for you), you now have a great power to influence votes!

Oh, I know. I don't mind the thread hating on me. I get to be a dick and everybody else gets to be a dick back. It works out fine. At least you can always count on there being one dissenting opinion. :downs:

Plus when stuff isn't up for vote, I do actually contribute something to go with it.

Defiance Industries posted:

ComStar's limits aren't materiel (the Sol system has an industrial output that's like Hesperus and Luthien and Irian combined) but their really small number of experienced troops. Once ComStar exhausts the mercenary units they have absorbed and their ROM commandos, they're going to have to start arming the Houses just because they don't have anyone left who can hit a stationary target.

This is part of what I meant by stockpiles, but as far as materiel itself goes, PTN suggested that ComStar is currently fighting using it's fractured garrison units, not the Armies of the ComGuard. This gives them a much weaker supply chain and pool of weapons and support to pull from than we might normally picture them having right now.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm not sure you can count murdered children as a contribution as such, Zaodai :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Gay Abortions, if you're reading this we have a small matter of a bet to settle.

While neat toys would be fun to see, a good scenario is even more so. And nothing is more fun than seeing a rag-tag band of terrorists do a hit & run strike against technologically superior, arrogant opponent. Besides it's our best opportunity to actually do collateral damage instead of trying to prevent it. Here's hoping the correct scenario wins.

• Locked thread