Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
Just hit up the library and pick up a book, download a free compiler and start programming.

Also http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=202

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aluminum Record posted:

I'm an EE, and I just got an internship offer for a CS position with a big company. They chose me over the CS majors, and the only real CS courses I've taken are the intro to CS class (taught in C++ at my school) and Data Structures.

Just minor in CS and you'll have no problem getting a programming job if that's what you want. Employers know that EE's know how a computer works from the ground up, and we have programming skills. Not as extensive as a CS major, but that's why I said just get the minor and you'll be plenty competitive.

This was me, except both the place I did internships and got a job hired EEs to write software because you had to understand the underlying systems.

Getting a minor in CS wasn't really even needed for me. I knew how to program going into college so C++ and Data Structures were a breeze for me, but I am going back to get my masters in CS right now. You can also usually take some Comp Eng and CS classes as a EE. If you can doing some DSP programming courses if they interest you and it should expose you to some low level C.

I took computer vision as a EE and it was pretty sweet. Then I did a bunch of control systems courses and have never used one piece of what I learned at my job.

Brendas Baby Daddy
Mar 11, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Don't businesses only care about your Major GPA anyway? Meh.

Some maybe, but at my company we look at overall GPA, and if you don't meet our minimum, you aren't considered. I can only speak for my company though.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Aluminum Record posted:

Just hit up the library and pick up a book, download a free compiler and start programming.

Also http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=202
This is how I learned programming outside of formal classes.

I'm in EE and I have a summer internship lined up working with people who write programs for machine controls, data acquisition, and the associated databases. If you saw my post a few weeks ago, the plant tour was indeed :krad:. Everyone in the group came from an electrical or mechanical engineering background, not strictly computer science.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Brendas Baby Daddy posted:

Some maybe, but at my company we look at overall GPA, and if you don't meet our minimum, you aren't considered. I can only speak for my company though.

What is that minimum?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

RedReverend posted:

I'll probably end up doing the math minor as it is just one extra class. I'm already scheduled to take Linear Algebra next semester.

If I can find the time, I would like to take some AutoCAD. I plan to go into power systems and have heard that having some AutoCAD experience is desirable.

At this point, I want to have as much going for me as I can when I graduate.

An internship with a small power company or at a power plant would be way better than knowing some AutoCAD. Stuff like Siemens PSS/O or PSS/E is highly specialized and Power companies would love to see that.

Brendas Baby Daddy
Mar 11, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

What is that minimum?

3.0 for engineers right now. Technically it's 2.75, but there've been so many people looking for jobs the last couple years, the recruiting leaders told us that we were using 3.0 for the cutoff.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

SubCrid TC posted:

Yeah, it's a nice bonus if you can do it because it makes it easier to talk to your draftspeople, but it's certainly not required.

If you're comfortable using it, though, it can be nice sometimes. If you've got something really really small that's incredibly urgent or at five on a friday or something it can be nice. It's great for when you're doing your own final check on a drawing and notice that somehow nobody saw that a 3 was mistyped as a 4 or something. If you're out of time and can't get a draftsperson right away it's nice to be able to fix it.

But really, it makes no economic sense to have an engineer do his own drafting except in odd circumstances. A proper draftsperson should be faster than you and gets paid less.

I use it to whip up a rough sketch, which allows me to think out my idea as a drawing. I then send the semi-complete drawing (with no title block, dimensioning, hidden detail missing, views missing, etc.) to the draftie and get them to clean it up, complete it, etc. It helps me a) think through my idea, and b) describe the idea to the draftie easily.

Note that my firm uses 2d drafting though thanks to historical hangovers. So we don't draw a 3d model then place views like you would in a 3d package - we draw individual views as unlinked series of lines manually, so this approach works well in that regard.

I also use Autocad to do calcs i.e: centre of mass/area by using region and massprop commands. It's basically a graphical calculator for me in a way.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I remember reading through this thread a year or two ago and seeing a discussion about how everyone shits on civil engineers. Is there a reason for this?

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

psydude posted:

I remember reading through this thread a year or two ago and seeing a discussion about how everyone shits on civil engineers. Is there a reason for this?

A plurality of engineers are in defense, and civil engineers place targets.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

psydude posted:

At least from my experience at an all-engineering school Civils were always seen as the easiest engineering major (comparatively) and thus were at the bottom of the pecking order just above Management. I never knew anyone to poo poo on them though, their course load was only easier when compared to stuff like Nuclear, ChemE and Aero.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 10, 2023

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Because engineering students can't live with just thinking they're better than the rest of the university, they also have to think they're better than other people in the same building.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Lord Gaga posted:

Because engineering students can't live with just thinking they're better than the rest of the university, they also have to think they're better than other people in the same building.

It sounds so vulgar when you put it that way.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Gaga posted:

That's why we had a EE building :v:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I can see two areas where it was legitimately visible and not just people being dicks. No EEs fail the FE (there was this one guy 6 years back or so) but the MEs sometimes had a person or two who failed, and the CEs always had a half dozen or so. I would say the FE is probably the closest thing to a standardized engineering test.

Also, I knew a few people who started as EEs, went to ME, and ended up CEs. I've never known people to flow the other direction :v:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just found this thread oddly enough.

RedReverend posted:

I'm beginning my junior year of EE and had a question. Everybody talks about Engineering students having a huge course load and not having really any time for anything else and it's true. I'm at the end of my calculus series and physics and am finishing up statics/dynamics. I'm about to begin taking EE specific classes. Does it get a little easier at this point? I can't imagine it being much worse than what I've already been through.

Also, I found out that with one extra 400 level math class I can minor in mathematics. I don't see why this would be a bad idea but I'm curious how much it would strengthen my resume. Are there any engineers that have chosen a math minor and had any direct results because of it?

Yes and no. It'll get more relevant and the coursework probably more fun, but there will still be a ton of it and you'll get slogged down every couple of weeks. Just stay on top of it, now that you're out of the (general) weed-out stuff you know what you need to do to get through the (major-specific) weed-out class and you can step up your efforts when necessary.

As to the math minor thing, I did it and I've never had anyone care. It was more of a neat thing to challenge myself with.

In other news, I've got everything ready for my PE exam application packet... I'm going to ship it out Friday. Can't wait to get some books and get ready to study for another round of tests! Has it really been that long? :ohdear:

Hed fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 21, 2011

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
So I have been having a big crisis of focus in school, I am currently done with three years of ME and could finish in one year BUT, I have come to learn that I am horrible when it comes to dealing with manufacturing and am in love with using MATLAB to build programs for my Dynamic Systems class. This has led me to question my place in ME so I have decided to bite the bullet of a year or two extra and go for a ME/EE double major, in the hopes that it will get me closer to dealing with programming of forced response systems and other such fun work. The thing is, will EE help me with that between it and Cpt S and CPE? I chose EE due to the fact that I cant see a ME/Cpt S double major working out too well, and I dont want to work on the hardware of computers so I though CPE was out. I guess what it comes down to is, what is my best bet if I want to work on programming of controls and feedbacks of systems?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
If you're into control theory, you can definitely do that as an ME. We have entry level up to graduate level courses in controls in our ME department.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Ingenium posted:

So I have been having a big crisis of focus in school, I am currently done with three years of ME and could finish in one year BUT, I have come to learn that I am horrible when it comes to dealing with manufacturing and am in love with using MATLAB to build programs for my Dynamic Systems class. This has led me to question my place in ME so I have decided to bite the bullet of a year or two extra and go for a ME/EE double major, in the hopes that it will get me closer to dealing with programming of forced response systems and other such fun work. The thing is, will EE help me with that between it and Cpt S and CPE? I chose EE due to the fact that I cant see a ME/Cpt S double major working out too well, and I dont want to work on the hardware of computers so I though CPE was out. I guess what it comes down to is, what is my best bet if I want to work on programming of controls and feedbacks of systems?

If you want a really specific job like that why not just get a masters and do your thesis on something related? Seems like a better shot at getting into the field, plus you'll have a grad degree which is probably better on paper than a double major.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
To settle the engineer superiority topic from a few pages ago I had a friend send me a pic of his shirt the student AIChE got printed up at one time:

I think it's a fun play on using the University's symbolic columns as distillation columns.

:eng101: As you can see, Industrial engineers are inferior to even business majors. After that comes Civil Engineers, followed by Chem Majors, Pre-med, and EE, CompE, and MechE, and ChemE (whom they had to put as the final product because hey, it's their t-shirt!)

Hope this helps.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Hed posted:

In other news, I've got everything ready for my PE exam application packet... I'm going to ship it out Friday. Can't wait to get some books and get ready to study for another round of tests! Has it really been that long? :ohdear:

NCEES won't let me register until June.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Hed posted:

To settle the engineer superiority topic from a few pages ago I had a friend send me a pic of his shirt the student AIChE got printed up at one time:

I think it's a fun play on using the University's symbolic columns as distillation columns.

:eng101: As you can see, Industrial engineers are inferior to even business majors. After that comes Civil Engineers, followed by Chem Majors, Pre-med, and EE, CompE, and MechE, and ChemE (whom they had to put as the final product because hey, it's their t-shirt!)

Hope this helps.

I really can't help but :smug: at that.

Job prospects don't really follow the engineer-penis chart. Too bad Computer Science is usually with the liberal art or math department.

I'm still on the fence about a full change of colors. I'm EE for now as stated, sigh.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
My friends brother is very bright and has just completed a tough semester of Phy 2, Chem 2, and Calc 3. He thinks he wants to switch to being a math major from being a Chem E but he is wrong because this is foolish for obvious reasons. I think he knows pretty much nothing of what engineering is like and basically dislikes his courses because of course engineering pre reqs are miserable even though from what I understand he has been successful in them.

I think my strategy is going to be to tell him about how awesome being a mechanical engineer in industry is and encourage him to actually go out and learn some not coursework stuff. The other prong of that is going to be like yea college isn't actually about learning, it is about learning skills that will be profitable for you. Theres certainly math and statistics jobs out there but I don't think there are any that wouldn't be bolstered greatly by a BS E and then maybe a masters in math or statistics.

Any tips on what to say to someone in their sophomore year who is thinking of switching from engineering to math?

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 23, 2011

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Lord Gaga posted:

Any tips on what to say to someone in their sophomore year who is thinking of switching from engineering to math?

bls.gov

payscale.com

glassdoor.com

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I cant find anything directly comparing the results of the two degrees on those sites.

EDIT:
JK im a big dumb dummy

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Lord Gaga posted:

I cant find anything directly comparing the results of the two degrees on those sites.

EDIT:
JK im a big dumb dummy

Look at which grads actually have a good chance of getting hired or not, though.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Lord Gaga posted:

EDIT:
JK im a big dumb dummy

My degree is second! Now if only I can find a job with it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
My semester GPAs go 2.7 1.2 2.4 2.6 3.0 and this semester I'm looking at a 3.5. I have no real chance of getting a 3.0 overall or something similar to what a lot of places seem to be asking for. Is there any suggestion to show my improvement?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Retake that semester?

I can't really afford to pay another 10 grand or so to retake a semester. Also I only failed one class and it was calc 2 and I can't make that up since I've taken calc 3.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
What sort of engineer? Do something or take some class or get a job that shows you have practical real world experience. No one gives a poo poo that you got a 2.51 GPA and barely passed engineering school when you have a BSME with 2 years of CNC machining,programming and setup under your belt. EVen if you did it by retrofitting a harbor freight lathe in your garage for $2000. Of course you wouldn't list your GPA.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

What sort of engineer? Do something or take some class or get a job that shows you have practical real world experience. No one gives a poo poo that you got a 2.51 GPA and barely passed engineering school when you have a BSME with 2 years of CNC machining,programming and setup under your belt. EVen if you did it by retrofitting a harbor freight lathe in your garage for $2000. Of course you wouldn't list your GPA.

I'm studying for mechanical engineering. I did land an internship. I'm guessing by what you're saying with that on my resume they won't really care to ask about gpa?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If they ask for your GPA focus on your last 4 semesters. That held more weight in an interview than my overall GPA during interviews.

You'll probably get asked about your GPA when you graduate.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Look at which grads actually have a good chance of getting hired or not, though.

BA history threads- do what you like, shun people who suggest you have worthless degree

BS hard science threads- suggestion that you should get a degree that pays well is no biggie.

Guess this is why engineers are superior.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Ive said it probably 30 times in this thread but I'll say it again. I have gotten actual job offers to be an engineer making a salary commensurate with having a BSME with just two years of eng school, a 1 year engineering internship, and a good bit of machining experience. Also I work the "I am a go getter, I learn new things extremely quickly" angle to death. I got the job offer before people with BSMEs and more solidworks experience. I was also told I was the front runner for another job I opted to not pursue. Now of course I didn't take them because my long term earnings and growth potential (these were small companies) would be extremely limited.

I got the internship before I'd taken Calc 2 because I had machining experience and was talking to a neighbor about machining and having a machine shop in my garage.

Machining experience will open doors and it will make those of us scraping by on the edge of a 3.0 the top candidate at any company who does a lot of in house machining (which is a LOT). It is also cool as gently caress.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

huhu posted:

My semester GPAs go 2.7 1.2 2.4 2.6 3.0 and this semester I'm looking at a 3.5. I have no real chance of getting a 3.0 overall or something similar to what a lot of places seem to be asking for. Is there any suggestion to show my improvement?

Looks like you're a junior. What's your in major gpa look like? Use that instead and try and get in some lab work on the side you can fit into your resume. I have a sub 3.0 gpa and I turned down two job offers to continue as a fully funded grad student next year. I had 2 years of internship experience and 3 years of lab experience before I even started my senior design this year. It really helps to have actual things to talk about in an interview when you've been doing it for years already. Look into undergraduate research credit if your school offers it. It's an easy A (usually) and is more like real engineering than a lot of my classes. My volunteer work in the lab had me doing everything from CNC machining and programming to CAD to vision processing and lots of stuff in between.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Frinkahedron posted:

Looks like you're a junior. What's your in major gpa look like? Use that instead and try and get in some lab work on the side you can fit into your resume. I have a sub 3.0 gpa and I turned down two job offers to continue as a fully funded grad student next year. I had 2 years of internship experience and 3 years of lab experience before I even started my senior design this year. It really helps to have actual things to talk about in an interview when you've been doing it for years already. Look into undergraduate research credit if your school offers it. It's an easy A (usually) and is more like real engineering than a lot of my classes. My volunteer work in the lab had me doing everything from CNC machining and programming to CAD to vision processing and lots of stuff in between.
Major GPA is looking to be a 3.2 after this semester. Sadly my school doesn't offer research for credit but I'll talk to some of my professors to see if they have anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

HClChicken posted:

BA history threads- do what you like, shun people who suggest you have worthless degree

BS hard science threads- suggestion that you should get a degree that pays well is no biggie.

Guess this is why engineers are superior.

The point I was making is many engineering fields are projected to suck for growth and are right now lovely too.