Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I had a portrait session with a cast member of the opera this past weekend. Obviously he would be a great model, so a successful shoot would be all on me. I've just started printing from the session, but I'm happy so far.

Jimmy in the City by McMadCow, on Flickr

Jimmy by McMadCow, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

McMadCow posted:

I had a portrait session with a cast member of the opera this past weekend. Obviously he would be a great model, so a successful shoot would be all on me. I've just started printing from the session, but I'm happy so far.

Jimmy in the City by McMadCow, on Flickr

Jimmy by McMadCow, on Flickr

drat dude.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

Hey folks, just finished the photos from my first engagement shoot, would love some critique. Portraiture is definitely the weakest of my photography so I'm still trying to learn. I'm shooting this couple's wedding at the end of the month.

They look a bit pale. White balance shift, gold reflector, CTO gels are some of your options.

I am currently reading Ziser's "Captured By The Light"; some great wedding tips in there that you might want to check out.

V-- Excellent photos. I love the expression of the basket-covered fiancee.

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 13, 2011

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Whitezombi posted:

drat dude.

Indeed. Totally awesome.

also as far as portraits go. I've found out a trick that my wedding photographer has been doing. Bringing in props of people's hobbies and professions for their engagement sessions. I love her work and the props bring an interesting dynamic. I feel like my works sucks after looking at her stuff, but it does bring inspiration. Here it is:

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 13, 2011

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Indeed. Totally awesome.

also as far as portraits go. I've found out a trick that my wedding photographer has been doing. Bringing in props of people's hobbies and professions for their engagement sessions. I love her work and the props bring an interesting dynamic. I feel like my works sucks after looking at her stuff, but it does bring inspiration. Here it is:

Wow! These are really REALLY good, especially after reading the horrible photographers thread and seeing such awful wedding photography.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
It is a joy to follow her blog because she just gets better and better every year.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I just did my first studio portrait session. It was tough setting up all the lights to try and not get shadows or glare as well as having enough light for me to stop down far enough.

Some critique would be really nice because I'm not too sure on these shots yet. I couldn't really pose people because I was shooting at ~1/30 and I was afraid they'd blur if I moved them around too much.

Steve by Moist_von_Lipwig, on Flickr

Marcel by Moist_von_Lipwig, on Flickr

??? by Moist_von_Lipwig, on Flickr

Also I may have used some film that got slightly flashed :blush:

Sinar F1 + Schneider 150mm 5.6 + Portra 160NC

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Second one isn't bad, I think the clothing goes well with the background, but they all look a little underexposed. I'm not really sure what kind of equipment is accessible to you in this studio but a medium sized softbox would be nice to soften the light up. The first one has some weird shadows and the pose looks really stiff. If you find your model to be standing a long time, ask them to shake a bit and loosen up, you don't want them looking like lifeless zombies.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

somnambulist posted:

Second one isn't bad, I think the clothing goes well with the background, but they all look a little underexposed. I'm not really sure what kind of equipment is accessible to you in this studio but a medium sized softbox would be nice to soften the light up. The first one has some weird shadows and the pose looks really stiff. If you find your model to be standing a long time, ask them to shake a bit and loosen up, you don't want them looking like lifeless zombies.

In terms of lighting all I had was some very hot halogen lamps. I think my next purchase is going to be some good lights because the shadows are just awful.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I couldn't really pose people because I was shooting at ~1/30 and I was afraid they'd blur if I moved them around too much.
That's a really weird excuse.

I like #2, but yeah they are all underexposed.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah, I need to start accounting for bellows extensions effect on exposure :(

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Might as well post these because I feel like I'm on a bit of a roll. Made these prints last night. This guy was so great to work with, I wish all models were this good.

Jimmy Again by McMadCow, on Flickr

So Cool... by McMadCow, on Flickr

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

That first one is baller, makes him look like an awesome villain.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Seriously, that first one is giving me Bioshock vibes.

Which is awesome.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
The second one is still pretty badass in its own right (but goddamn, that first shot).

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

They're both great but yeah that first one really stands out. Top notch!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I'm glad these are going over well with people. This is sort of a different look for him and it seems to be working. :)

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I think you need to pass this guy around like a whore so we can all take some awesome shots.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

So this was my first time ever shooting another human being (I am a macro man, so... take that as you will). I will be the first to admit that I'm a novice when it comes to portraits, so advice would be appreciated. I wanted these to be black and white, but I wasn't quite sure on how I should go about it (to crunch or not crunch the blacks, that is the question!)

Of course aesthetic preference differs between individuals greatly, but I wanted opinions/critiques from all preferences.And I'm sorry if tones/shades/etc. seem a bit off, the monitor isn't color calibrated :/

Rachel Photoshoot II 148 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Rachel Photoshoot I 079 by Abnegātus, on Flickr
I should have sharpened her face some on this.

I have a few more I chose out of the shoot to work on, but I wanted some feedback first before I both begin working on & posting them.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Abnegatus posted:

Rachel Photoshoot I 079 by Abnegātus, on Flickr
I should have sharpened her face some on this.

These are both good, the second one is fantastic. It has a really nice timeless quality and the processing looks great, I actually thought it was film until I opened the Flickr page. I'd say leave it unsharpened, the softness of the image is one of its strong-points.

edit: After a second look, I don't like where her chin tangents with the bottom of the frame in the first image. Maybe try cropping a little higher.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 18, 2011

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002

McMadCow posted:

Truly amazing shot.

-------

Took some shots of my daughter before her spring dance. I am actually really happy how these came out, but being such, I figured I would solicit some feedback before I started to think too much of my self.

I sacrificed having that house in the background to use this red bud tree for a backdrop. I may try to do some more cloning work to remove it.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Might as well post these because I feel like I'm on a bit of a roll. Made these prints last night. This guy was so great to work with, I wish all models were this good.

So Cool... by McMadCow, on Flickr

I think you really have to watch out for the distracting background elements behind the subject. The second is fine but the first has problems. I think if you had positioned him in the frame just a little bit higher, (with his head between the globe and the stairs), it would be a lot less obvious. I noticed the distracting background in this one, too. IMO it ruins the picture. I think, otherwise, you did some great processing on the film and good poses and great wardrobe and overall the look is very impressive.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Elemeno^P posted:

Truly amazing shot.

-------

Took some shots of my daughter before her spring dance. I am actually really happy how these came out, but being such, I figured I would solicit some feedback before I started to think too much of my self.

I sacrificed having that house in the background to use this red bud tree for a backdrop. I may try to do some more cloning work to remove it.

Lovely, but I'd like to see some shots of her not looking directly at the camera. Do you have any 3/4 shots?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Mannequin posted:

I think you really have to watch out for the distracting background elements behind the subject. The second is fine but the first has problems. I think if you had positioned him in the frame just a little bit higher, (with his head between the globe and the stairs), it would be a lot less obvious. I noticed the distracting background in this one, too. IMO it ruins the picture. I think, otherwise, you did some great processing on the film and good poses and great wardrobe and overall the look is very impressive.

Thanks for the input. I agree with you on the shot you linked. The shot made the cut because of other elements, and I dodged the background to make sure he didn't blend, but yeah I wish I would have seen that better in the viewfinder.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I like taking pictures of babies.

pot by J Dawson, on Flickr

IMG_1015 by J Dawson, on Flickr

IMG_0978 by J Dawson, on Flickr

CAMRA by J Dawson, on Flickr

Yes an 18 month old baby knows how to put on a lens cap and DOES NOT GIVE UP no matter where you put your camera.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
If you are not using fill flash try some spot metering so the camera ignores the background and adjusts the exposure for the face instead.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Cross_ posted:

If you are not using fill flash try some spot metering so the camera ignores the background and adjusts the exposure for the face instead.

I did not even know what this is so had to google it, but thanks. I was fiddling with the controls on my Canon trying to find something to do that, but left my manual at home.

I am still a noob at camera!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
What would the lighting setup for a shot like this be like?

I'm really, really an amateur at studio lighting :(

Is there a definitive book out there for studio shooting?

EDIT: I'm kinda dumb, he put the info in a comment:

code:
Strobist info: Elinchrom D-Lite 400 through 5' octabank
f/11 @ ISO 100
8x10 film
So I guess it's just a single softbox slightly off to the side?

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 20, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

So I guess it's just a single softbox slightly off to the side?

That's what it looks like to me up and to the right(subject's left) pointing kind of down.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
It always helps to look at the catchlights for info.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
First portrait shoot with the x100: http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com/2011/04/x100andnaturallight.html

steph01 by mr-chompers, on Flickr

steph02 by mr-chompers, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I like the first one though I'm curious as to why the second one is pretty much completely out of focus? Was it an accident you decided you liked?

Poopy
Jul 31, 2010
Handed in the first half of my portfolio to my lecturers today, and because we were rushed to get through the 16 people in the class they didn't offer anyone a great deal of critique, anyone here got words for me?

Here are a couple of the portraits I handed in:

5 copy by Peita Louise., on Flickr

4 copy by Peita Louise., on Flickr

3 copy by Peita Louise., on Flickr

2 by Peita Louise., on Flickr

They're all a bit different, and I'm not even sure if I want to continue with any more portraiture because I tend to be awkward around people when I'm shooting, and find it hard to direct them. (also please ignore the white edges on the middle two images.)

Poopinmymouth: Not overly fond of the first image, but I really quite like idea of the second, though the focus seems to be on the corner of the concrete ledge thing to the left of the model's knee.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

RangerScum posted:

Was it an accident you decided you liked?

Yep. In fact so much that I plan to use the affect on purpose in the future when the situation warrants it.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I have my first "real" shoot coming up on the 30th, where we have a bunch of models and photogs working pro-bono. This is from a locations scout, the girl is the AD on the project. Ignoring her clothes, what can I do to improve?

I wasn't going for any particular style except for "appealing".

Test Shoot2 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Poopy posted:

5 copy by Peita Louise., on Flickr
I think this would have been better without the glasses (or without lenses). The high refraction seems to put the right side of her face out of focus which I find distracting.

quote:

2 by Peita Louise., on Flickr
Nice ambiance; my recommendation would be to reshoot it with a larger light source and some makeup so you don't have harsh shadows and large patches of shiny skin.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Crosspost from the film thread

I've been playing around with portraits lately:

BW2011-38 by Setzu, on Flickr

BW2011-39 by Setzu, on Flickr

BW2011-31 by Setzu, on Flickr

Still finding my footing though, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Obama 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 20, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

What would the lighting setup for a shot like this be like?

It looks like standard Rembrandt style lighting, but with with a very large light source. Essentially it is setup like this:

The light is positioned high at a 45 degree angle to the subject and camera. Sometimes with this style of lighting a reflector is used on the side for fill light, but it doesn't look like he used it here.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm really, really an amateur at studio lighting :(

Don't worry, it's really very easy these days! All you need for a LF setup is:

- Leaf shutter that includes a PC sync terminal
- A pair of remote triggers (Gadget Infinity)
- A flash unit (like a Vivitar 285HV as a beginner unit)
- Lightstand
- 42" shoot-through umbrella
- Optionally you could also get a medium sized reflector

You're looking at probably a $200 investment to begin with (assuming you already have the lens), and you can achieve some very nice results with that, just like the photo you posted. You would have to get to know how to use the equipment of course, but that's not too difficult. There are lots of guides online and we can help in the Dorkroom. As long as you knew just a few basic things you could get very good results. It's recommended that you have a digital camera, however, so that you can experiment with your lighting setups to make sure they work before you implement them on film.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
I have no idea how many people I'd kill for a digital MF camera, but I'd be good for at least one brutal slaying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Get some old lenses and adapt them, then get a focus screen?

And as far as studio lighting, always start with one light, learn how it works, and then you can start playing with reflectors and then move on to more lights