Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
In humans isn't pinkeye from getting poop-bacteria in your eye or something? If that's the case she could have stepped in poop and maybe scratched her face soon after. Though with how much dogs are in and around poop you'd think it'd be super common. I don't know though, just thinking out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Yeah, I remember a summer camp pink eye epidemic that was tons of fun to deal with. I don't know what bacteria caused it, but it was definitely contagious. For dogs, though, there are a lot of common causes of reddened mucous membranes that aren't bacterial, or that might be secondarily infected, but the primary cause is something else.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
I live in a very wooded area and my beagle gets a lot of ticks on her in the spring and summer. I was always under the immpression that Tick collars did more harm than good but is this actually true? And if this isn't true could someone recommend me a tick collar brand?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ample posted:

I live in a very wooded area and my beagle gets a lot of ticks on her in the spring and summer. I was always under the immpression that Tick collars did more harm than good but is this actually true? And if this isn't true could someone recommend me a tick collar brand?

No collars. Go to your vet and get a reliable monthly flea/tick treatment.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Forgive me for I know nothing about this and have done almost no research on it but what does that invole? Is it more along the lines of baths and shampoos? Are collars actually bad for the dogs or just ineffective?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Some goop you put between their shoulder blades each month and it works its way around. Just don't pet their back that day and it's fine. Also don't lick the dog.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ample posted:

Are collars actually bad for the dogs or just ineffective?
Both.

Along with what Abbeh said make sure you avoid bathing them for at least a week after applying it. Your vet can show you how to do it too if you're unsure.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I've not heard bad things about tick collars (flea collars, on the other hand, can be toxic). However, the topical stuff is very good and reliable, and is definitely safe. You want probably either Frontline Plus, or Advantix. For Advantix, just make sure there are no cats exposed to it, since it is toxic to them.

Schleep
Apr 4, 2006

Frank, if your fat monkey heart is still beating, then congratulations.
Does anyone have a guess as to what type of dog this is?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Chow.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
e;^^^^^^ bitch :argh:

Schleep posted:

Does anyone have a guess as to what type of dog this is?

It's a chow

Schleep
Apr 4, 2006

Frank, if your fat monkey heart is still beating, then congratulations.
Thank you :)

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
My cat was just recently diagnosed with FIP. He is showing symptoms of the effusive form due to the accumulation of fluids in his abdomen.

My question is how accurately is FIP diagnosed and should I seek a second opinion? I am really dreading the inevitable since my vet requested that I make arrangements within the month to have him euthanized.

Has anyone had experience with this before? It's really upsetting me because I saved him as a stray kitten and he will almost be 2 years. I just can't bring my self to accept it, I suppose i am just happy to have given him a warm and loving home.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
If the vet had the fluid analyzed, it is very likely to be FIP as that disease has a very characteristic type of fluid that can collect in the abdomen. It's not 100%,(a 100% diagnosis is usually made off of a biopsy sample) but it's often enough to be very sure if the rest of the clinical picture matches. If they did not take a sample and analyze it (or send it out to a lab for analysis) it's harder to say, as several things can cause a fluid accumulation. No one could say for sure that the diagnosis was right or wrong without seeing the cat themselves. You can ask your vet how sure they are of the diagnosis and have them explain how they reached that conclusion, and if you then want a second opinion, by all means, find one.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

e;^^^^^^ bitch :argh:

It's a chow

Well, I agree since I don't see a sheath, but it's kinda hard to tell with this picture... heh...

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So I'd heard over the years that micro-chipping does not work, as different vets use different micro-chipping systems. Finally putting some effort into reading, I found mostly good things.

So was wondering what the PI experts have to say. Yay or nay for getting your dog chipped?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Infinitely better than not having them chipped. If you're worried about what type, ask local shelters and vets what type they use or can scan for, or if they have "universal scanners" that can detect a variety.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So I'd heard over the years that micro-chipping does not work, as different vets use different micro-chipping systems. Finally putting some effort into reading, I found mostly good things.

So was wondering what the PI experts have to say. Yay or nay for getting your dog chipped?

According to my vet it really doesn't matter what company you use, the detectors all the vets and shelters use will pick it up. Microchipping is way useful.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I've never heard of a microchip not working due to vets using different systems; most chip readers will still display the number no matter where the original chip was from. The 'universal scanners' are present in virtually every vet setting nowadays, at least so I'm told.

So yeah, chip your dog.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
My 10-year-old dachshund gets a 1/4 cup of Nutro twice a day, and she usually finishes her bowl of food within an hour of me putting it down. For the past 3-4 days, however, she's been eating her food sparingly. In fact, it's 10:30PM here, and she still has food left in her bowl from this morning.

Another thing is that she's been sleeping in lately, just over the past few days. She's always been a bit lazy--I think the earliest she's ever gotten up was 9:30--but for a few days now she's been sleeping until noonish.

Here's the weird thing though: she's still drinking water, still begging for table scraps (she almost never gets them though), still playing with her toys, still pestering the cats, still outstripping me on walks, and still barking at poo poo that pisses her off. Her body temperature is normal, her eyes aren't running, her nose is damp and cold, and she's still peeing and pooping on schedule. In fact, her behavior is completely normal except that she's sleeping in and not eating as much as she used to.

Should I take her to the vet? Is this just a weird phase she'll snap out of in a week or so? I haven't done anything to change her food or routine, this just came on suddenly the other day.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Fascinator posted:

My 10-year-old dachshund gets a 1/4 cup of Nutro twice a day, and she usually finishes her bowl of food within an hour of me putting it down. For the past 3-4 days, however, she's been eating her food sparingly. In fact, it's 10:30PM here, and she still has food left in her bowl from this morning.

Another thing is that she's been sleeping in lately, just over the past few days. She's always been a bit lazy--I think the earliest she's ever gotten up was 9:30--but for a few days now she's been sleeping until noonish.

Here's the weird thing though: she's still drinking water, still begging for table scraps (she almost never gets them though), still playing with her toys, still pestering the cats, still outstripping me on walks, and still barking at poo poo that pisses her off. Her body temperature is normal, her eyes aren't running, her nose is damp and cold, and she's still peeing and pooping on schedule. In fact, her behavior is completely normal except that she's sleeping in and not eating as much as she used to.

Should I take her to the vet? Is this just a weird phase she'll snap out of in a week or so? I haven't done anything to change her food or routine, this just came on suddenly the other day.

Definitely take her to the vet. Reduced appetite and lethargy are almost always warning signs of illness.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Fascinator posted:

I know someone who noticed that their aging dog was more lethargic and antisocial than usual. She brought her by the vet a few times, and no one could find anything wrong. Refusing to accept that this was merely a sign of old age (medium breed dog, about 9 years old) she kept looking. Turns out that the dog had some degree of heart disease. Now that the dog has been on meds for a while all of a sudden she's back to her happy old self.

So yeah, it's wise to not let lethargy and low appetite pass by thinking it's just a phase. Better safe than sorry and all that.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
Update: It's now 12:30, and she has eaten all her morning food, then eaten the additional food I gave her, and she has also gotten into a fight with our short-haired cat, barked at our long-haired cat, and gone to the bathroom outside. drat mixed signals.

Regardless of the confusing and conflicting messages Frau Dackel is sending me, you're right, and she will be going in on Friday for a checkup and some blood tests.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

A while ago I was at the store and saw a cat that looked awfully lost to have been a stray. When I went over it came right up to me and sat on my lap (and refused to get off), at this point I was sure it was someone's pet so I took him home and quarantined him. In the morning I went to my local vet and asked them to scan for a chip, he was in fact chipped and I placed him back in his very concerned owner's hands an hour later. Chips work.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Another chip question. My cat is microchipped, but my mother never registered his chip number :doh:

I have the number. There are approximately 10,000,000 services offering me the chance to register it. I'd prefer one with a one time fee. Any suggestions for which to use?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Another chip question. My cat is microchipped, but my mother never registered his chip number :doh:

I have the number. There are approximately 10,000,000 services offering me the chance to register it. I'd prefer one with a one time fee. Any suggestions for which to use?

Along these lines, is there a way you can check to see if your pet is registered to you? I assumed my shelter would be changing the chip information over to my name/address but now I'm concerned. :ohdear:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

2508084 posted:

Along these lines, is there a way you can check to see if your pet is registered to you? I assumed my shelter would be changing the chip information over to my name/address but now I'm concerned. :ohdear:

I came across a lot of lookup sites when googling for a service, actually. If you have the number, go look him up (e.g., here. There are also services that (if you register with them) you can log into online if you want to change the info, and even add a picture :3:

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 21, 2011

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
I think a lot of pet owners are confused about the difference between (what I'm going to call) "registration" and "enrollment" of microchips, so here's the deal: these are two different things.

Registration is when your contact information is linked to the chip number. This means that if your pet is scanned at a shelter or vet, they see the number, call a company, and the company provides them with your contact information. When your vet implants a microchip for $40-60, this initial registration is typically included in that fee, and all you need to do is mail or call the company with your contact info.

Many of the cheaper microchips (i.e. ones your vet charged you $20 for) will require a fee for the initial registration (making the "cheaper" and "more expensive" chips basically the same price in the end). These companies will call this first fee an "annual membership/enrollment" and hit you up for renewal every year, but the registration is permanent and you do not need to pay any more money after the first year. Your information is always linked to the chip, and you can always change the contact information (although some companies may charge you $5 to do it).

When these companies want you to pay for an annual enrollment, you are paying for other services. This is stuff like lost pet hotlines, access to "helpful" websites about finding lost pets, and other services that may or may not help reunite you with your pet. Most people don't really want this stuff and don't realize that this is what they're paying for annually. Basically you need to read the fine print or call the company, but afaik there is NO microchip company that, when called with a chip number, is going to say "Sorry, they didn't renew their membership so I'm not giving you the owner's contact information." Most chip companies will admit to this scam somewhere on their website, but you may have to dig through the sections labeled "for vets and shelters" or something like that. They don't want pet owners to realize that they're paying $20/year for services they don't want.

Eggplant Wizard: You should register the chip with the company that manufactured the chip for two reasons.
1) The cost of the chip your mom paid the vet may have included the intital registration fee, in which case you need to spend $0 for lifetime registration.
2) When a pet is scanned, all the shelter/vet gets is the chip number. Some chips start with a certain number or letter that indicates which company made the chip. When this happens, you can bet the first company the vet/shelter will call is the chip manufacturer. If you register with a different company, a shelter could call the chip manufacturer only to be told "the owner never sent us their contact info."

Also if you never register a chip and someone calls the company about finding your pet, the company will be able to tell the caller where the chip was implanted. Almost all shelters and many vet clinics will have records of which animal got which chip, so even if you never register anywhere, a microchip has a good chance of getting your pet home to you.

(Sorry that was long. :()

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
Our longhaired cat has recently stopped cleaning her butt, so she's constantly walking around with gross little particles of something dangling off of it. At first we thought it was messy poop, but neither the color or consistency matches what we've seen in the litterbox, so I'm thinking it's just loose bits of litter that are sticking to her because she is (inexplicably) sitting down in pee puddles.

We've tried trimming her hair to little avail (she's unreceptive to say the least), so I guess my question is: Is there a reason she'd have stopped grooming that area? Is there a way to get her to start back up consistently? Could it be something medical? I want to find a permanent solution before her hair starts getting matted.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Is she chubby?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Abbeh posted:

Is she chubby?

Nah. She's fluffy, but of a healthy weight.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Then it's probably not an issue of being able to reach her butt. Maybe she's frustrated with her hair, or maybe it's something more sinister. It sounds like it's time to bring her in to the vet to make sure things are ok with her. Also they could give her a quick rear end clipping to help with cleanliness.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Crooked Booty posted:

I think a lot of pet owners are confused about the difference between (what I'm going to call) "registration" and "enrollment" of microchips, so here's the deal: these are two different things.

Registration is when your contact information is linked to the chip number. This means that if your pet is scanned at a shelter or vet, they see the number, call a company, and the company provides them with your contact information. When your vet implants a microchip for $40-60, this initial registration is typically included in that fee, and all you need to do is mail or call the company with your contact info.

Many of the cheaper microchips (i.e. ones your vet charged you $20 for) will require a fee for the initial registration (making the "cheaper" and "more expensive" chips basically the same price in the end). These companies will call this first fee an "annual membership/enrollment" and hit you up for renewal every year, but the registration is permanent and you do not need to pay any more money after the first year. Your information is always linked to the chip, and you can always change the contact information (although some companies may charge you $5 to do it).

This is actually very useful information that I was not aware of! You just saved me the annual renewal fees (I had my cats chipped earlier this year).

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is there an OTC analogue for Anipryl?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Matt Cruea posted:

Is there an OTC analogue for Anipryl?

Anipryl (selegiline is the active ingredient) is a prescription-only product as far as I'm aware.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I gotcha. I think it's what my dog needs but I'm not sure I can afford a vet.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Matt Cruea posted:

I gotcha. I think it's what my dog needs but I'm not sure I can afford a vet.

What makes you think your dog needs this medication? Regardless of the OTC or prescription nature of a drug, it's risky to treat an animal's symptoms yourself since it's often hard for someone without a lot of training to accurately diagnose what the problem is and come up with the best treatment.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

She fits all the symptoms of canine senility. She seems lost inside the house, doesn't respond, barks at nothing, sleeps at different times than she used to, and for the past two days she's been peeing in the house. She's about 14 years old.

I obviously didn't want to give her anything prescription-strength without consulting a real vet, but I didn't know if there was an OTC equivalent (and I assumed an OTC version would be lower strength).

Senor Dong
Nov 25, 2007
I live in a neighborhood with a lot of stray cats, and last night I noticed a stray cat going into a hole in the lattice that leads under my porch. Sure enough, I checked under the porch this morning and there are two kittens. I'm not sure how old they are, and I have not seen the mother since last night. Is there anything I should do? I don't want them to starve to death or get eaten by an animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxy-chan
Mar 20, 2011
My longhaired cat just started pooping hair. I've had him for two years and have been around cats my whole life, but I've never seen this happen before. He started about a week ago and has done it at least three times that I've seen. He poops normally, but the hair part gets stuck and he scoots along the floor to dislogde the poop-bundle. He grooms a lot but he always has, and he doesn't have hairballs very often. He is healthy and acts totally normal but I'm worried about something getting bound up inside him. Has anyone had animals poop hair like this? Does he need a trip to the vet?