Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I peed on a second one and got the same inconclusive result. So I went and bought a different brand and I'm pretty sure I got a line. Like 75% sure. I have one more test, so I'm going to save it for in the morning, when hopefully I'll get a really good result. I'm sure I'll sleep really good tonight. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
False positives are very, very rare. How far along would you be if you are pregnant? If you're only a couple weeks along, sometimes it takes a few more weeks to get a dark line.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I expected my period to start today, so if I'm pregnant, I guess it's just barely.

Edit: I took a test on Tuesday and it was without a doubt negative. So I know I may just have to suck it up and be patient for a day or two. But the fact the test was so clearly negative Tuesday and now I can't tell is making me wonder. *spazzes out*

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
If you see any sort of line tomorrow morning, I'd say congratulations are probably in order. :)

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
oh my gawd, freakin out a little bit!! I spent 29 years actively avoiding pregnancy at all costs and now to think it might be real. *more excited spazzing*

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

slinkimalinki posted:

Hmm, I'm sure I've read that alcohol and caffeine do affect fertility in men.

Edit: A quick google indicates that alcohol affects the production of healthy sperm (and also pulls up ads saying "drench her with sperm!" :pervert:). Caffeine is much more ambiguous -- most say bad, some say good.

Aha, I didn't think of the actually impregnating someone bit, but that makes sense!

limegrnxj, like Fire in the Disco said, false positives are rare. My first pregnancy test was really faint and I thought it was just me imagining things. So I showed it to a friend who has 3 kids and she was all WOOO THAT IS A POSITIVE :D

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
Woot, I'm knocked up. I feel like I should be doing something about this, but I don't really think there is anything to do. Maybe I should go buy a rattle or something.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Congrats, Limegrnxj! So awesome!!!

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

limegrnxj posted:

Woot, I'm knocked up. I feel like I should be doing something about this, but I don't really think there is anything to do. Maybe I should go buy a rattle or something.

Good. I'm sure you'll start feeling like there is stuff to do soon.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

limegrnxj posted:

Congrats :D

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Congrats limegrnxj!!!

Ok, so since I was diagnosed with PCOS, my doctor gave me medroxyprogesterone. Is it possible I will ovulate with this the first round? She said I'd have to call in every 35 days if I haven't had a period and they'll write me a new prescription. But do I even have reasons to get my hopes up this first time around?

I also apparently have to lose 10% of my body weight, which for me is around 15 pounds... This sucks.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Did your doctor say specifically why she put you on medroxyprogesterone? I was put on it to force a menses because I had such ridiculously long cycles, but on day 3 of that first "forced" cycle, I started Clomid to induce ovulation. So my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please!) is that progesterone is used to make you bleed, but does NOT help induce ovulation on its own. Perhaps your doctor is hoping that by having a menses, your body will get the rest of its hormones in line and ovulate on its own.

I also lost 10% of my body weight, but I hit 10% lost right when I started Clomid/Metformin and I got knocked up that cycle, so I can't say it was any one thing that helped me ovulate. Good luck with everything!

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
So third cycle IUI I don't think worked; I peed on a stick today (15dpo) and it was negative. I guess there is still hope and all but meh. I'm glad I didn't give a poo poo all cycle and just enjoyed normal life.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Well my carefully laid plans didn't go to plan; wasn't intending to start trying til June but we started talking about what we would do if either of us couldn't have kids (waaay too early for this conversation) and I freaked out (I had no idea he was so again sperm donation or surrogacy as the topic hadn't come up before) and well it was only 2 days before my ovulation date, so :3: I don't know whether to hope or not. On one hand, it would be better if I'd waited a couple of weeks, especially as I just found out that I never had my Rubella booster as a teenager and I can't get that if I'm already pregnant. It also means I can't get the shots I need for going to Thailand, so holiday would have to change to something more local. On the other hand, we do want a baby and if it happens so easily well I shouldn't complain.

My temperature spiked today, so I take that to mean ovulation went along as planned. How long until I will be able to tell? I guess not for another 2 weeks, but the waiting is going to be tough.

Also wondering if I should get a second opinion; when I saw my doctor this week he told me I don't need a flu shot, and told me I'm cool to continue taking amytrypaline and tramadol during pregnancy (migraine treatments). I know googling is no replacement for medical training, but I'm finding a lot saying that I shouldn't be taking them. Only thing he offered was a bloodtest to check my immunities, and I didn't leave feeling very reassured :(

Helanna fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 21, 2011

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Helanna posted:

Also wondering if I should get a second opinion; when I saw my doctor this week he told me I don't need a flu shot, and told me I'm cool to continue taking amytrypaline and tramadol during pregnancy (migraine treatments). I know googling is no replacement for medical training, but I'm finding a lot saying that I shouldn't be taking them. Only thing he offered was a bloodtest to check my immunities, and I didn't leave feeling very reassured :(

Your doctor sounds awful. You should definitely get a flu shot. Tramadol is a Class C drug so if you can find an alternative, you should.

http://safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?DrugId=130&TradeName=Tramadol&TradeId=2512

Did you mean "amitriptyline"? because that's also class C.

http://safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?DrugId=408&TradeName=Saroten&TradeId=704

Is your doctor an OB? I would find another doctor and ask these questions again.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

He's just my general doctor, not an OB. And yeah, amitriptyline - been taking it a couple of months as a migraine preventative and it's been fairly decent, and the tramadol is there for when it doesnt work (one of the only medications we've found that works). The doctor kept assuring me that amitriptyline "has been around over 50 years" so it would be fine to take :3: Some of the possible effects of those drugs look pretty bad for a baby :(

On the plus side, migraines are less common during pregnancy, so I am going to stop taking all meds and keep my fingers crossed.

Normally this doctor has been really good for me; when A&E at hospital were telling me I just had indigestion, he correctly diagnosed me with gallstones (despite my age) and insisted I went in for surgery, and again he sent me into hospital with appendicitis (which it turned out not to be, it was a "strangulated epiploica", but could still have become life threatening if not removed, and being dismissed by other doctors). I normally trust him, but this experience was quite poor :( Not sure if I need a referral to see an OB here or not, but I can ask that when I go in for my blood test in 2 weeks.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Hi goonettes. Mind if I join you? I'm pleased to see a thread about getting pregnant on this forum. I joined a proper pregnancy forum but got a bit put off by all the babydust and miscarriage pics.

So I came off the pill a year ago as I was on my tenth year of taking it and decided to have a break. The birth control discussion led to a 'should we have a baby' discussion and me and the husband decided we would give it a shot.

Unfortunately, after a year my periods are still all over the place. I waited patiently for them to be sorted for six months. I saw a doctor and got tested for PCOS, diabetes and some other similar conditions. Nothing was up. In the last year i've had four 'proper' periods and a few smaller ones. These mini periods last about two days and are freaking painful. Due to all this crap, I haven't been able to keep tabs on my periods so we haven't officially been trying.

Anyway, I now have a much better doctor who has given me Norethisterone tablets to try to force me to have a period. He thinks this might kick-start things. Once I come on, I have to have a blood test exactly 21 days later to check my progesterone levels and see if i'm ovulating properly. Has anyone else taken this drug or had similar tests? I'm a little concerned that it's becoming complicated already.

And put me down for the being ordered to lose 10% club. But i'm not too bothered about that, anything that will make things easier.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

netally posted:

Hi goonettes. Mind if I join you? I'm pleased to see a thread about getting pregnant on this forum. I joined a proper pregnancy forum but got a bit put off by all the babydust and miscarriage pics.... And put me down for the being ordered to lose 10% club. But i'm not too bothered about that, anything that will make things easier.

I've yet to find a pregnancy forum (besides the threads on SA) that doesn't make me want to sterilize 85% of the posters.

As for the 10% - I wish you all the determination and willpower in the world. I chalk up my pregnancy solely to my weight loss over last year. My periods went from being debilitating and irregular, to finally being more bearable and absolutely regular. The changes I made in my daily diet weren't nearly as drastic or painful as I thought they'd have to be. I lost almost 50 pounds on Weight Watchers (online, because going to meetings sounds like torture), and got knocked up immediately after I stopped trying to prevent pregnancy. I've still got about 30 lbs to lose after I have the baby + whatever extra baby weight I put on.

And maybe I'm crazy with pregnancy hormones, but I'm starting to think about being a gestational surrogate some time in the future. I'd love to hear from anybody in the thread who knows more about it than me.

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

netally posted:

miscarriage pics.

Wait, what? In other pregnancy forums people just post pictures of their miscarriages? Do people need proof? Under what circumstance is this totally cool? How does this conversation transpire, and how does it become normal discourse?

"Hey Janette"
"Hey Clair"
"Janette, I heard you were pregnant. Congrats!"
"Nah Clair -- had a miscarriage"
"Pics or it didn't happen!"
*whips out Polaroids of ... I don't know...bloody lump or something*
"Oh. Sorry then. Better luck next time!"
"Thanks!"

I'm just floored by this. I know I should't be. I'm a card-carrying Internet veteran and everything, but sometimes, something comes along and just makes me wonder what the gently caress is going on out there that some things just happen on a regular basis.

In any event, welcome to a sane forum about makin' babies! Best of luck to you guys. And we'll take your word here for whatever you say. Honest.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
A lot of women that have had a loss take pictures of the fetus with blankets, a hat, etc. and sometimes photoshop angel wings or other such things into the picture, and will put the pics in their signatures. I've seen it on several pregnancy forums and it's pretty common among the regulars there.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

MoCookies posted:

As for the 10% - I wish you all the determination and willpower in the world. I chalk up my pregnancy solely to my weight loss over last year. My periods went from being debilitating and irregular, to finally being more bearable and absolutely regular. The changes I made in my daily diet weren't nearly as drastic or painful as I thought they'd have to be. I lost almost 50 pounds on Weight Watchers (online, because going to meetings sounds like torture), and got knocked up immediately after I stopped trying to prevent pregnancy. I've still got about 30 lbs to lose after I have the baby + whatever extra baby weight I put on.

Thanks for the encouraging words. It really helps to know that others have gone through it, and it definitely makes me more determined knowing that the weight loss does help. I'm going to do Weight Watchers too. I will go to the meetings because I like the idea of being weighed weekly. I can't have scales in the house because I want to weigh myself daily.

As for the miscarriage pics... I'm not talking about a dead baby in a hat or anything. It was a woman who had very early miscarriage and had passed a large clot. I can't even describe it. It looked like a squished blueberry or something. I consider myself an internet veteran and even sat through SWAP, but something about that drat clot baby freaked me the hell out. I think it hit a bit too close to home. And yes, the trend of putting your miscarriage details in your signature is very tacky.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Oh, yeesh. I've never encountered that sort of thing on any of the boards, and I'm kind of glad. I guess it helps some people with the grieving process, but.. Ugh.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Until goons rushed the miscarriage forums and there was something about a woman's poisoned womb making heaven too crowded, she had had like 13 consecutive miscarriages.

So the lady is 6 days late but the test we took yesterday came up negative. So I'm wondering if shes just off due to stress or if its a false negative. She says she feels fairly normal.

This past month we've taken a break from worrying about the pregnancy thing, although have not gone back on birth control. Because we weren't really thinking about it, we indulged and had a few nights of heavy drinking/partying for a couple friends birthday parties. My question is, if she is indeed pregnant, could drinking and smoking this early in a pregnancy result in damage to the fetus? If she is I would estimate shes about 2-3 weeks. This sees like something that could happen fairly often. We've stopped drinking or smoking since shes been late on her period. I'm asking on behalf of her, becuase I don't really want to bring it up and guilt her about it, I know shes already beating herself up. Just curious if any goonettes have had a similar experience.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Hot Jam posted:

So the lady is 6 days late but the test we took yesterday came up negative. So I'm wondering if shes just off due to stress or if its a false negative. She says she feels fairly normal.

I've talked about this before, I think, but it took me until I was 7 weeks pregnant (5 weeks past fertilization) to come up positive on a pregnancy test. I had tested at 5 weeks pregnant and it had come back negative. It's not out of the realm of possibility, and generally speaking, symptoms don't kick in until you're 4-6 weeks along anyway (though of course there are some people for whom they start early).

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008

Hot Jam posted:

My question is, if she is indeed pregnant, could drinking and smoking this early in a pregnancy result in damage to the fetus? If she is I would estimate shes about 2-3 weeks. This sees like something that could happen fairly often. We've stopped drinking or smoking since shes been late on her period. I'm asking on behalf of her, becuase I don't really want to bring it up and guilt her about it, I know shes already beating herself up. Just curious if any goonettes have had a similar experience.

If she's already late, she'd be like 4-5 weeks because you count the two weeks from her period to ovulation, but regardless, I really wouldn't worry about it. I have relatives that drank and smoked through their whole pregnancies and still had healthy babies. In my mom's generation, that was pretty much the norm.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Farrah posted:

If she's already late, she'd be like 4-5 weeks because you count the two weeks from her period to ovulation, but regardless, I really wouldn't worry about it. I have relatives that drank and smoked through their whole pregnancies and still had healthy babies. In my mom's generation, that was pretty much the norm.

Thanks, it's something I've been seriously concerned about. Anyway taking the test tomorrow morning so we will see if it matters.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007
I drank and smoked pot during the first couple weeks of my (unplanned) pregnancy until I found out I was pregnant. The first test I took at 3 days late was negative; I didn't get my positive until 10 or 11 days late. Anyway, my daughter is a real chub and very healthy, so I really don't think it's anything to worry about, particularly because it's in the past and there's no way to change it. If she wants to start doing her best now, she should be taking a prenatal vitamin with folic acid and avoiding any dangerous activities. Hope you get your answer soon!

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

So, my husband and I sat down this week and have decided to start trying for a baby right away. We're both 28, fit and healthy and keeping our heads above the water money wise, even though I'm a student and he's not on a huge wage. We're happy, love each other very much and want a family of our own while we are still young.

All of a sudden I realise I know nothing about my own body. I've never counted the days between my cycles and I have no idea when I'm due for my period each month. I guess my first job is to start charting my cycles and taking suppliments. That and having more sex I guess.

Which leads me onto another worry. When my husband and I have sex it's always a spur of the moment thing, spontanious and romantic. I have to admit I'm finding the idea of sceduled baby making sex to be kind of akward, and pressured too! This isn't fooling around sex, it's serious sex with a serious purpose. Talk about a mood killer. I'm really nervous about initiating our first baby making session.

Lastly, does anybody else find the whole process to be exciting and yet also terrifying? On and off I think 'What am I doing? Me? A parent? I had a canary once, but a child?!'

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Dr Scoofles posted:

Which leads me onto another worry. When my husband and I have sex it's always a spur of the moment thing, spontanious and romantic. I have to admit I'm finding the idea of sceduled baby making sex to be kind of akward, and pressured too! This isn't fooling around sex, it's serious sex with a serious purpose. Talk about a mood killer. I'm really nervous about initiating our first baby making session.'
Well, it's just a matter of bangin' on the right day. Like if you went away on a dirty weekend, you'd know you were going to bang on Saturday. Think of it like that. Bang any day you want, but a couple of days a month, you're definitely going to bang. It's not like "at 3:31, when the moon is in the ascendant in the house of Mars, you will make your final thrust". (I have no idea why I chose "bang" as my word du jour. Maybe reading too much 70s trash-lit?)

Anyway, that part is probably not going to be as terrifying as you think.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Dr Scoofles posted:

Lastly, does anybody else find the whole process to be exciting and yet also terrifying? On and off I think 'What am I doing? Me? A parent? I had a canary once, but a child?!'

gently caress yeah! I'm the same age as you and also a student. I realise it's a weird time to be getting knocked up, but it feels pretty right. I have successfully looked after nieces and nephews without killing them or dropping them on their heads, so I assume I can step up and do it. I just keep telling myself that women have done it for centuries, there's no reason why I can't!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Dr Scoofles posted:

So, my husband and I sat down this week and have decided to start trying for a baby right away. We're both 28, fit and healthy and keeping our heads above the water money wise, even though I'm a student and he's not on a huge wage. We're happy, love each other very much and want a family of our own while we are still young.

All of a sudden I realise I know nothing about my own body. I've never counted the days between my cycles and I have no idea when I'm due for my period each month. I guess my first job is to start charting my cycles and taking suppliments. That and having more sex I guess.

Which leads me onto another worry. When my husband and I have sex it's always a spur of the moment thing, spontanious and romantic. I have to admit I'm finding the idea of sceduled baby making sex to be kind of akward, and pressured too! This isn't fooling around sex, it's serious sex with a serious purpose. Talk about a mood killer. I'm really nervous about initiating our first baby making session.

Some people are REALLY into charting and keeping track of everything, but the thought of that stresses me out, too. You might just want to go at it for a few months laissez-faire style and see how it goes. Stress isn't good for baby-making, and you could very well conceive without "trying." (Tons of people, including me, got knocked up this way.) Keep having your fun, spur-of-the-moment, romantic sex! Definitely go ahead and start your daily vitamin, maybe keep track of when your period is so you can know when it's late-ish. Good luck with the bangin'!

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011
I haven't posted much here, have mostly been on the parenting and pregnancy threads, but just wanted to share that I just got my positive test today! Hubby and I were trying this month and got lucky again. This will be our second; we have a wonderful 18 month old little girl. Sending my positive dust to everyone out there trying.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Congrats, Liviana!

I'm fertile again! and alas the hubby is in a crappy mood. Such is my luck. Hopefully I will be for another day or two. I'd like at least a tiny bit of a shot at it this month.

Also, thanks for the kind words before. It really helps knowing I'm not alone.

Plastic Cat
Apr 29, 2011

"Look to la Luna"
Hello ladies! I'm waiting to get on the TTC train and would love to hang out in this thread with you all and hopefully get a BFP next cycle.

My history with my husband of one year.
TTC since Feb 09, Two M/c's one at 6weeks and the other at 5 and a half months due to an incompetent cervix and getting my appendix out only 2 weeks prior to that caused it to fail.

I'm well i'm on my first cycle now but with lots of pain they discovered retained placenta so it looks like i'm going to be waiting for that to hopefully pass now or i'm back in hospital for another D/C if it doesn't pass in a week. Doctors bah sick of them!

But on the bright side once this left over is finally gone I have the green light to go right ahead and get pregnant again (and at 13 weeks they are highly recommending a cervical stitch) so i'm hoping I can make a few friends here while I wait for my second cycle.

Baby dust to all you ladies trying. :3

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Plastic Cat posted:

TTC BFP TTC M/c's Baby dust ladies :3

Um, you know, you're safe here, you don't have to speak that whacked out gobbledygook. (Also, shouldn't there have been a "DH" somewhere in there?)

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet
IVF...it...worked. So tired...

Our first little guy (he's a year old now) took six rounds of IUI. This time we did four and just said look, insurance covers IVF one time only, so let's just do it and try to freeze eggs too. By the end of the month we were exhausted and really praying it worked. Now we just have to wait a few weeks to see if there's one or two babies in there! I will be nervous until we hit 12 weeks, but the good news with IVF is by the time you find out you're pregnant, you're considered to be four weeks in.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

slinkimalinki posted:

Um, you know, you're safe here, you don't have to speak that whacked out gobbledygook. (Also, shouldn't there have been a "DH" somewhere in there?)

Hey, if this is anything like the 'other' forums you'll be banned for having that attitude missy! Must be overwhelmingly positive at all times.

DubDisciple posted:

Congratulations on being up the duff!

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

DubDisciple posted:

God, that's really good to hear. I have a feeling I might end up needing that kind of intervention.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Has anyone had a sonohysterogram, the one where they inject the saline solution? I'm waffling on whether it's going to be painful enough that I'll need someone to drive me there and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008

Ben Davis posted:

Has anyone had a sonohysterogram, the one where they inject the saline solution? I'm waffling on whether it's going to be painful enough that I'll need someone to drive me there and back.

I had an HSG where they inject the sticky ink solution to check for blockages in the tubes and drove myself to work afterwards, but it depends on how you handle pain I guess. It felt like bad menstrual cramps. I thought it was mostly unpleasant due to the stickiness.

Good luck DubDisciple - I'm pregnant with twins from IVF and the worry definitely doesn't end at 12 weeks. Twins are much more risky than most people know and your chances of ending up on bedrest/giving birth as early as 28 weeks is unfortunately common.

• Locked thread