Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I haven't set foot in a game store in years, and I play videogames all the time.

Also, I didn't know Crysis 2 was set in New York. I'm definitely going to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

SwissCM posted:

Sure you can. PC gamers haven't needed to go to video game stores for years now.
Trying to remember the last PC game I bought in stores was an interesting challenge. I'm pretty sure it was Fable 1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've had to go to stores a few times recently because my university caps downloads to 50kbps and that's really lovely with 10+ gig games.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I've had to go to stores a few times recently because my university caps downloads to 50kbps and that's really lovely with 10+ gig games.

Your school doesn't have a DC++ or another internal P2P network? Ask the nerds.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
There's still no reason to buy games at a game store. Amazon prices are almost always far far better than game store prices. I managed to get Portal 2 PC for $35 with no rebate.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Blackula69 posted:

Haha. Vendors don't sell their games through DC++ bro. Have all those games you "ACQUIRED :iamafag:" through DC++ been paid for?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Node posted:

Haha. Vendors don't sell their games through DC++ bro. Have all those games you "ACQUIRED :iamafag:" through DC++ been paid for?

Technically yes, if he purchased them and then downloaded the disc image off the campus network.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Cheezymadman posted:

If it's never been played, it's brand new, regardless of the packaging situation. I really don't know how you can say "opened = not new" if it was only opened to be stored somewhere else.

Actually it isn't according to Gamestop's own policy. If you bring in an open but unplayed game they consider it used and pay you accordingly.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
The bullshit isn't that you get a new game that's open, who cares. It's that they can do that and claim it's new, but you can't. They also put this lovely sticker on your new game (or used to, I don't know). You want me to pay full price for this opened game with one of your stupid stickers on it, but if I step outside, open the sticker, and bring it back in, it's now half the price?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Node posted:

Oh right, I'm an idiot. I do not condone piracy, and I legitimately did buy games on Steam and download them that way. Bandwidth caps are a bitch.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I didn't know that Gamestop could sell a game that's basically used for new prices. Wow, that's really lovely. Wonder how they'll apply such great practices to Impulse.

Blackula69 posted:

My campus actively worked to bring our DC++ network down and we have a lovely network.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Once they even gave me the wrong disk because it was in the wrong sleeve. It's poo poo.
That happened to my brother once. It's a human error, but a really annoying human error.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't know people still used DC++, maybe in 2005 but not 2011. It's all about the private trackers now.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Some reason when I'm on campus downloads are capped, but Steam downloads are uncapped and I get like 3MB/s from them easy.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Babbages used to have that policy where they'd remove the discs from the case. One time I bought a 'special edition' version of a game, and they slipped in the regular edition and argued with me when I told them that they weren't giving me the right game.

lovely policy. How would it hurt them to charge $5 less for opened items (same as they charge for smudgy rear end ones)?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Master_Odin posted:

That happened to my brother once. It's a human error, but a really annoying human error.

And an unnecessary human error at that. There is no reason for GameStop to not sell new PC games as they received them from the publisher same as any other retailer.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Dr_Fever posted:

And why are there this many posts about Gamestop in the PC gaming thread?

Because they bought Impulse to get a foothold into PC digital distribution.

I can't think of any occasion where a brick and mortar store could sell games cheaper than you would get online so there really is no need for "Gamestop :cry:" threads. Or at least this holds true in the UK.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mr Right posted:

Because they bought Impulse to get a foothold into PC digital distribution.

I can't think of any occasion where a brick and mortar store could sell games cheaper than you would get online so there really is no need for "Gamestop :cry:" threads. Or at least this holds true in the UK.

Even less reason to go to stores in Australia. Games are incredibly overpriced here, like double the price compared to almost everywhere else. It's always cheaper to either get them on Steam or import them.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
http://www.shacknews.com/article/68188/fable-3s-pc-debut-available

So that just happened.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hah, excellent. Now all Microsoft has to do is dump GFW/L and adopt Steamworks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's still going to be infected with the GFW Live bullshit.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Best thing is the holiday sale. Probably at least 50% off.

But it will be like Batman: AA (for example) where you have to sign into GFWL for some reason?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

That doesnt mean poo poo. I bought Dead rising 2 on steam and had to install gfwl in order to be able to play it.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
The fact that Microsoft, a company which swore up and down that they would never have anything to do with Steam, is now selling their "flagship" PC game on Steam is a pretty big deal, I think.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ETPC posted:

The fact that Microsoft, a company which swore up and down that they would never have anything to do with Steam, is now selling their "flagship" PC game on Steam is a pretty big deal, I think.

I think they just want to increase their potential profits since Fable 3 has the small problem of being one of the worst games of last year.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Now we just need to wait for Red Dead Redemption. Is it ever coming?

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Agreed. If anything, this is more a case of throwing steam table scraps than cutting them in on a "flagship" anything.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think they just want to increase their potential profits since Fable 3 has the small problem of being one of the worst games of last year.

Is it? I wasnt following it since I have no 360 but thats good to know. Not that it matters with Witcher 2 coming out two days before it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

keyframe posted:

Is it? I wasnt following it since I have no 360 but thats good to know. Not that it matters with Witcher 2 coming out two days before it.

It took the worst part of Fable 2 (the lovely menu system) and replaced it with an even shittier menu system. That's pretty much it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm really behind the curve but I fixed the problem I had with Crysis and I've been playing it for a couple of hours. I feel so boring though; the game has given me all these lovely options to dispense people, and I just stroll on through with maximum armour to shoot everything in the face, then flick to maximum speed so I can get to the next bout of carnage quicker.

:black101:

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm really behind the curve but I fixed the problem I had with Crysis and I've been playing it for a couple of hours. I feel so boring though; the game has given me all these lovely options to dispense people, and I just stroll on through with maximum armour to shoot everything in the face, then flick to maximum speed so I can get to the next bout of carnage quicker.

:black101:

Play on Delta difficulty. It's almost like playing a completely different game. You can't go charging in guns blazing and have to be stealty and use tactics.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It took the worst part of Fable 2 (the lovely menu system) and replaced it with an even shittier menu system. That's pretty much it.

I watched a couple friends play through the co-op for about an hour and it was the dullest thing I'd ever seen. It's like they tried to make an action RPG that appeals to "casuals" but ended up with something that doesn't appeal to anybody.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Fable 1 was pretty awesome, Fable 2 was like 50% of a good game, I can only imagine the diminishing returns in the third one. Yahtzee's critique was really spot-on - just because you can do something in a game world doesn't mean you want to. Who cares about marrying some random NPC if it doesn't change anything?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vertigus posted:

I watched a couple friends play through the co-op for about an hour and it was the dullest thing I'd ever seen. It's like they tried to make an action RPG that appeals to "casuals" but ended up with something that doesn't appeal to anybody.

Yeah, Fable 2 was the same thing really.

By the way, track down and read the Eurogamer review of Fable 2. High comedy.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The existence of closed loop water cooling like the Corsair Hydro H50-1 totally passed me by. I'm going to move to an i7 eventually, anyone been using stuff like this?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Carecat posted:

The existence of closed loop water cooling like the Corsair Hydro H50-1 totally passed me by. I'm going to move to an i7 eventually, anyone been using stuff like this?

Ask the Parts Picking thread. I'm sure they'll recommend something a little more sensible - not to mention try to dissuade you from an i7.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Blackula69 posted:

Fable 1 was pretty awesome, Fable 2 was like 50% of a good game, I can only imagine the diminishing returns in the third one. Yahtzee's critique was really spot-on - just because you can do something in a game world doesn't mean you want to. Who cares about marrying some random NPC if it doesn't change anything?

Thats what I thought about Fable 2. It started alright and then an hour in it expected me to work at some loving blacksmith pounding nails for 30 minutes and I just sent the game back to gamefly.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Vertigus posted:

John Atkins, a developer for Fable 3 posted:

The other thing that has been interesting is the difficulty mode. It’s not the first time that’s come up on Fable game; on Fable from the beginning I can remember sitting in a room with Peter [Molyneux] and him being very explicit with me that… I believe the direct quote, if I remember correctly, was “I want a blind child to be able to win this game with their feet.” Clearly, that’s an ambition, a general direction – for us, people should be able to finish the game.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
I'm looking for a recommendation for a racing game. I haven't played anything since GT3/4 on the PS2. Has any one had any experience with DiRT 2 or GRID? Any other games I might not have heard of? Just looking for a realistic game. I have a wired 360 controller that I intend to play with.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dark Solux posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a racing game. I haven't played anything since GT3/4 on the PS2. Has any one had any experience with DiRT 2 or GRID? Any other games I might not have heard of? Just looking for a realistic game. I have a wired 360 controller that I intend to play with.

DiRT 2 and GRID aren't super realistic, but they're both really fun. The Need For Speed Shift games are pretty good too.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Dark Solux posted:

You would probably like any of the racing games done by Codemasters. The games run really well, and they have this cool feature where you can pause the game and re-watch what just happened from different camera angles. They also let you tweak your car quite a bit. You can re-start races without any load times, which is great.

There's a free demo for Dirt 2, so I would start there. The game will probably go on sale in a month when Dirt 3 comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Some people on here are claiming they get much better performance going from a dual-core to a quad-core in a lot of newer games even if they keep the same video card. I'm still holding out with a three year-old C2D E8400 @ 3GHz (C0 revision won't overclock) but I'm getting birthday money and a larger paycheck at the end of the month so I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a i5-2500K setup. I already looked in the parts picking thread so I got a CPU/motherboard/RAM/CPU cooler lined up. I have actually held back getting BC2 and a few other games because they reportedly run much smoother on a quad-core chip. Doesn't L4D2 and Portal 2 take advantage of quad-core as well? My video card is a GTX 460 so I would hope I'm set there.

I would love to get a SSD too but I think they're still too expensive for what little capacity you get. $200 or more for only 120GB is too much even if they are fast and quiet. My two 640GB Caviar Blacks I got about a year and a half ago are fast enough.

• Locked thread