Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

FitFortDanga posted:

Also videogames depreciate because people want the latest and greatest in a way that doesn't apply to movies.
Right. The only time I see prices go permanently down for a movie is when a new edition is coming out within the next 3-6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

...if it helps I know at least five people who do this. Paying twice over the Amazon price is like a little premium for owning it immediately.

When I'm out and about and buy a movie from Best Buy instead of amazon, I call the markup the "Instant Gratification Tax."

Just a little game I play with myself.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Any word YET on the Bond movies?

(this post may be related to me buying a Walther PPK)

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Any word YET on the Bond movies?

(this post may be related to me buying a Walther PPK)

Do you mean the rest of them? It can't be long now, because all but two of them (Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies) either have a blu-ray release out, or are already streaming in HD on Netflix, which means they must have already remastered them, right?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

tickle monster posted:

Do you mean the rest of them? It can't be long now, because all but two of them (Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies) either have a blu-ray release out, or are already streaming in HD on Netflix, which means they must have already remastered them, right?

They all should be ready to go (Lowry did massive restorations on a number of them a few years ago, and the newer ones shouldn't need any such work), but it's not a matter of that.

It's a matter of tying them in to the promotional blitz for a new Bond film, and MGM's recent money woes delayed Bond 23. But with that nonsense finally over, you can probably expect another wave or two of catalogue Bond BDs to tie into the theatrical and/or BD release of Bond 23. So, not terribly soon, but on the horizon at least.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'd like a full set, but then I remember how much I already spent on the remastered DVD sets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It sucks because this is the first time I've really had the nice TV and the money to want to buy the full set.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

The idea that Blu-Rays stay static in price whereas video games go down is laughable, especially at Best Buy. You can usually find a ton of Blu-Rays at $10-15 there, whereas video games is such a loving racket that you'll be looking at $50-60 for most games even a year after release, and forget about getting below $55 or so during release week.

They mark down games all the time, I got Fallout New Vegas for 35 around Black friday and they marked Crysis 2 and Homefront down to 49.99 last week. The only games that stay high are the ones that everyone and their mother buys (i.e. Call of duty games)

I do need to sign up for Amazon Prime and I have just been waiting for a few friends to go in with me. No offense to SA at all, but I would prefer to do it with people I see on a regular basis. The shipping right now is the main reason I don't buy from Amazon more.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Black Friday is probably the only time new games are ever marked down more than 5 or 8 dollars.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Captain Charisma posted:

Is there some generic code that I can enter or do I have to own The Incredibles on DVD?
Just the UPC off the incredibles DVD so 786936279979 should work (or at least it did when I just printed mine)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Volcasarus ReX posted:

They mark down games all the time, I got Fallout New Vegas for 35 around Black friday and they marked Crysis 2 and Homefront down to 49.99 last week. The only games that stay high are the ones that everyone and their mother buys (i.e. Call of duty games)

So your examples are Black Friday, a day in which every kind of product is marked down, and a $50 price point, which isn't that great a price at all, and something I explicitly mentioned in my post.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
dragon age 2 is already widely available for less than $50, rock band 3's msrp is $20 or $30 now, halo reach has been available for $40 or less numerous times, basically anyone complaining about video game markdowns should just check out the video game deals thread in coupons because every new game can be found for less than $45 within a few months at regular intervals if you pay attention. or you can factor in the basically commonplace $10-$20 credits at amazon into the price of your next game.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

So your examples are Black Friday, a day in which every kind of product is marked down, and a $50 price point, which isn't that great a price at all, and something I explicitly mentioned in my post.

No I see sales all the time that I don't really take advantage of because I'm not into those games. I just mentioned the two I did because I remember specifically buying those while they were on sale. And games get marked down all the time without actually being tied to any sale. For example, Dante's Inferno (released 2/3/2010) cost 19.99$ New. Shooter on Bluray (released 7/31/2007) cost 24.99 New.

The point I was making is that Video Games go down in price depending on how long the game has been out ( and even more so if a sequel is being/has been released). This doesn't happen with Blus, and sometimes I find it slightly annoying. A movie that was released on bluray 4-5 years ago shouldn't cost the same amount, or more than a more recent release.

I'm not trying to start a huge fight about it, It's just something I noticed that annoys me. I spend a lot of time (more than I should) checking prices of blus and video games, and after awhile you notice a trend that doesn't really make that much sense.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I may be the only person in CineD who likes this movie, but does anyone know about the quality of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang blu-ray they released a little while ago?

My inner child wants to see that very pretty movie even prettier.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So up until 2 days ago I had never seen Taxi Driver. It's been on my to-do list for ages but after seeing all the talk about the new blu I decided to blind buy it.

Gorgeous transfer for a movie that I didn't think could look overly amazing. Just an all around fantastic film. I think I need to watch it again and delve into the commentaries. This movie seems ripe for deeper analysis.

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Has anyone dealt with back-ordered best buy exclusive blu-rays before? I ordered Robocop 2 on blu-ray and they haven't given me an update on its status in over two weeks, I just called their customer support and they don't know anything.

So, if I want this movie should I go scouring the local best buys or do they usually get more of their exclusive titles in at some point?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I may be the only person in CineD who likes this movie, but does anyone know about the quality of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang blu-ray they released a little while ago?

It's supposed to be a stellar disc, especially since it's a new scan from 65mm.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Blu-ray.com and DVDBeaver are your friends.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
It's been an odd couple weeks for tv season announcements. Last week: Justice League season 2. This week? Apparently Stargate Atlantis will be getting a complete series blu-ray release on July 26th. Especially weird since the upcoming SGU Season 2 release is going to be dvd-only.

Full story here: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Stargate-Atlantis-The-Complete-Series/15254

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Volcasarus ReX posted:

The point I was making is that Video Games go down in price depending on how long the game has been out ( and even more so if a sequel is being/has been released). This doesn't happen with Blus, and sometimes I find it slightly annoying. A movie that was released on bluray 4-5 years ago shouldn't cost the same amount, or more than a more recent release.

Do you feel this way about books? Music?

Your argument doesn't really work with either of those either. Games have a very limited retail lifetime due to their very nature. They are challenges, and video game based challenges do not stay perfectly static for long and maintain interest. Re-playability of games is a different concept than re-watching movies, or listening to a CD, or reading a book again. The lifetimes of movies, CDs, and books are unlimited and their popularity is unaffected by technology or format changes.

Games are diminished in most cases by the very advancement that makes them popular as challenges, and not to mention the simple fact that many are outdated by just beating them. Very few games can break out of this mold.

Your argument just doesn't hold water as you are trying to compare apples and oranges.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 14, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This could probably go into SHSC, but I figured I'd ask here first...

Do any of you watch your BDs on a PC? Previously I had watched everything on my PS3, but it would be nice to have Blu-ray functionality on my PC. So knowing that my video card and monitor were HDCP-compliant, I got a blu-ray drive and am trying out the ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 demo.

Only, I don't know, it gets kind of choppy every 5 minutes. I assume it's somehow my hardware, but wanted to rule out TMT first at least.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Nate RFB posted:

Do any of you watch your BDs on a PC? Previously I had watched everything on my PS3, but it would be nice to have Blu-ray functionality on my PC. So knowing that my video card and monitor were HDCP-compliant, I got a blu-ray drive and am trying out the ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 demo.

Only, I don't know, it gets kind of choppy every 5 minutes. I assume it's somehow my hardware, but wanted to rule out TMT first at least.

I watch blu-rays with my laptop. I forget what specific drive I have, but, I have an HD graphics card, a 1080p monitor, and I use PowerDVD 10. It works absolutely fine. The only problem I've ever had is needing to update in order to watch the Avatar special edition blu-ray. Well, there's also this thing PowerDVD (or maybe it's my drive, not sure) does that when you pause a movie, if it's for more than like 1 minute, then hit play again, it will play for about 3 seconds, freeze up, then start again.

Also, using PowerDVD 10 turns off Windows Aero, and puts it in basic mode, but that's not really a problem.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Nate RFB posted:

What are your PC specs?

I run ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 with no issues.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GonSmithe posted:

PowerDVD 10.
This seemed to work better once I turned hardware acceleration on, but it still stuttered from time to time. Interestingly enough, enabling TMT's hardware acceleration didn't improve the stutter, but it did look noticeably worse when I turned it off.

Sporadic posted:

What are your PC specs?

i5-750 overclocked to 3.2 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, Radeon 5850, and most recently a Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-ray reader. The monitor was a HDCP-compliant Dell connected via DVI.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nate RFB posted:

Assuming you're using Power DVD, this fix worked for me: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=35260

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

DFu4ever posted:

Do you feel this way about books? Music?

Your argument doesn't really work with either of those either. Games have a very limited retail lifetime due to their very nature. They are challenges, and video game based challenges do not stay perfectly static for long and maintain interest. Re-playability of games is a different concept than re-watching movies, or listening to a CD, or reading a book again. The lifetimes of movies, CDs, and books are unlimited and their popularity is unaffected by technology or format changes.

Games are diminished in most cases by the very advancement that makes them popular as challenges, and not to mention the simple fact that many are outdated by just beating them. Very few games can break out of this mold.

Your argument just doesn't hold water as you are trying to compare apples and oranges.

I thought about that, but then I started thinking of the difference in the markets being mostly digital distribution. For the most part it seems like most people buy music/books via some sort of digital retailer. I can see your point and it is a valid one, but when I look around my area and see bookstore after bookstore going out of business and see that most people download their music from iTunes or Amazon.com it doesn't really seem like the same thing to me.

In my opinion CD's on iTunes are already a fairly great price, and it seems like some Corporations have adjusted their CD prices to more closely match, or perhaps that I just listen to less than popular music that the CDs don't cost as much to begin with.

To me it just seems like the Movie and Video game market should be ran some what similar. Eventually everything will probably be digital distribution (which will make me angry) and everything will always stay the same price forever. And I think for some movies you can kinda make the same argument that once you've seen it, the movies losses all "replay value", but that's all personal taste and what not.

I still think you have a very valid point, but I rarely buy books and when I do it's on my iPad and most of my music is digital distribution also, so it just didn't seem the same to me.

Your point was taken though.

Volcasarus ReX fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 15, 2011

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Here's what you're missing. You shouldn't be asking why movies don't drop in price like games, but why they're so cheap in the first place.

And the answer is two words: Box office.

Games have to recoup their entire production costs through retail sales (including digital distribution). They have essentially no other avenues to make revenue, although DLC is starting to shift that a little, but not really significantly. Movies, on the other hand, have their main money-making already done by the time they hit retail, and thus are priced considerably cheaper than new-release games, since they don't have the same level of pressure to recoup production costs.

And DFu4ever is right, games have a lot lower shelf life than movies do. You don't see too many people clamoring for catalog titles, except in a few rare cases. It's very much driven by advances in technology, and moving on to the next big thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GrandpaPants posted:

Assuming you're using Power DVD, this fix worked for me: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=35260
Didn't seem to have any effect, but I also don't think any extra processes were running when it would stutter (which would be accompanied by the drive suddenly whirring into overdrive for a moment). PowerDVD 10 seems to work the best and it's tolerable I guess if it's only happening every 15 minutes or so. Interestingly enough, animated films seem to work flawlessly. A bit rate issue? My CPU getting overworked suddenly? Who knows.

Anyway, since there is apparently no easy solution, rather than bug this thread continuously I'll bring it up in Haus of Tech Support instead.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

It's been an odd couple weeks for tv season announcements. Last week: Justice League season 2. This week? Apparently Stargate Atlantis will be getting a complete series blu-ray release on July 26th. Especially weird since the upcoming SGU Season 2 release is going to be dvd-only.

Full story here: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Stargate-Atlantis-The-Complete-Series/15254

Preorder just went up at Amazon

$139.99 for the entire series

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WJT5H4/?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004WJT5H4

I wish that more studios would quit beating around the bush and just release complete series boxsets of older shows instead of releasing them one at a time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Three Paramount double-features from Legend Films on May 3rd:

Houdini / Those Daring Young Men and their Jaunty Jalopies
The Man Who Could Cheat Death / The Skull
Student Bodies / Jekyll & Hyde: Together Again

Severin Films will release The Stunt Man on June 7th.

Also, Arrow Films' Les diaboliques mostly sucks:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews11/diabolique.htm

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sporadic posted:

What are your PC specs?

Arcsoft is pretty nice, never had a issue with it and works pretty well when a blu does have a mouse driven interface.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Sporadic posted:

Preorder just went up at Amazon

$139.99 for the entire series

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WJT5H4/?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004WJT5H4

I wish that more studios would quit beating around the bush and just release complete series boxsets of older shows instead of releasing them one at a time.

God damnit, I just bought the cheap DVDs thinking they couldn't do HD transfers (like TNG).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Tron: Legacy BD took an astounding 68% share of sales during release week, beating the record previously held by Inception (65%).

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

idoliside posted:

God damnit, I just bought the cheap DVDs thinking they couldn't do HD transfers (like TNG).
What would possibly make you think they couldn't make HD transfers of a show that aired in HD? :confused:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Heads up for anyone interested, best buy is selling Labyrinth for ten bux.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

doctor thodt posted:

The Tron: Legacy BD took an astounding 68% share of sales during release week, beating the record previously held by Inception (65%).

For some reason I find that surprising.

Inception had hell of a lot of good sales going on release week. Tron hasn't had as good deals, but it has a ton of different releases, including ultimate editions.

(Just to clarify, these numbers are the % of sales of that movie between dvd/bluray right?)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I only got a BD drive a few weeks ago, but it seemed like there were a whole bunch of deals for the Tron sets at a lot of retailers, along with Disney coupons for another $5 off or so on top of that.

And speaking of Disney, if you're into the classic stuff they're going to be Vaulting some more movies this month. Off the top of my head I think the ones are Snow White, Pinocchio, and Fantasia/2000, so if you were planning on picking one up at some point I guess you shouldn't put it off too long.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

hitze posted:

What would possibly make you think they couldn't make HD transfers of a show that aired in HD? :confused:

It's not that they couldn't its more that they wouldn't. Plus I wasn't aware that the earlier seasons were broadcast in HD.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

idoliside posted:

It's not that they couldn't its more that they wouldn't. Plus I wasn't aware that the earlier seasons were broadcast in HD.

Is your avatar Picard about to sneeze or does he need his glasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

japtor posted:

I only got a BD drive a few weeks ago, but it seemed like there were a whole bunch of deals for the Tron sets at a lot of retailers, along with Disney coupons for another $5 off or so on top of that.
I got Legacy for $13 shipped on ebay.

• Locked thread