Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's probably more about stealth and a quick calculated strike than a standup battle anyway. Not getting hit will be a secondary concern if they succeed at not being detected in the first place.

We probably won't see a return of the Justice Foot this mission, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Axe-man posted:

yeah all of the mech picks rely alot on not getting hit, this could be a hard mission.

It will be, especially since I am getting the sense that the mission is attacking a convoy; protecting the the car/limo that one target (*cough* Melissa Steiner *cough) is in, while destroying the convoy guards and then getting the Archon the hell out of dodge.

I will continue pimping my guess until PTN shows me just how horribly wrong I am. :v:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hm. Three mechs I like and one I loathe.

God I hate the Assassin. It's just so terribly designed. It's like a baby Shadowhawk but worse.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here tech-wise; all of these 'mechs are their base configurations.

This is going to be interesting.

It's also reminding me of the early stages of Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries since in that game you started out with a Commando and were very likely to acquire a salvaged Javelin or Assassin in the early game if you were a good-enough shot.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
The Valkyrie is a really nice machine for light mech support. It has a role, it is great at that role, but somewhat lacklustre outside of it. Only so much you can do with 35 tons.

You also will never walk anywhere in a Valkyrie.

On the topic of ugly mechs:

Kintaro: Haters gonna hate.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This should be a fun battle to watch. Lots of movement, laser blasts, an urban setting, and vague objectives. At least this enemy will be slightly less painful than the clans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the rear firing laser on the Awesome actually make it a DickButt?

Sair
May 11, 2007

Axe-man posted:

yeah all of the mech picks rely alot on not getting hit, this could be a hard mission.

But you guys have done so well at that this far! (Keep these fuckers moving)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Tempest_56 posted:

God I hate the Assassin. It's just so terribly designed. It's like a baby Shadowhawk but worse.
I don't think anybody likes the Assassin. It is such a bleh mech.

Given how crazy Battletech can be; however, I fully expect it to win battle MVP.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 21, 2011

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

KnoxZone posted:

I don't think anybody likes the Assassin. It is such a bleh mech.

I always liked it when playing MW2: Mercenaries. In the earlier stages I found it a nice and flexible (and more importantly, affordable) medium.

Of course, it was cast aside the instant I could grab a Centurion.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Angry_Ed posted:

Oh wow we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here tech-wise; all of these 'mechs are their base configurations.

This is going to be interesting.

It's also reminding me of the early stages of Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries since in that game you started out with a Commando and were very likely to acquire a salvaged Javelin or Assassin in the early game if you were a good-enough shot.

i could never get those as salvage but then again it doesn't recongize my joystick anymore so that maybe why my current efforts are frustrated.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

- Did someone say urban combat? It's my time to shine!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

- Did someone say urban combat? It's my time to shine!

Everything is measured in urbanmechs. For instance, a catapult costs ~3.5 urbanmechs.

They're adorable little mechs that should probably never step foot outside of a city.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

RickVoid posted:

This should be a fun battle to watch. Lots of movement, laser blasts, an urban setting, and vague objectives. At least this enemy will be slightly less painful than the clans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the rear firing laser on the Awesome actually make it a DickButt?

Not so much with the laser blasts. The Valk and Assassin are our only mechs armed with lasers and I will probably be trying to avoid using my Medium Laser anywhere it will be effective since the minimum range on my LRM is 6 hexes. Also I am piloting the only mech that lacks SRMs so player luck is going to be a big factor with all those crit-seekers flying about.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Longinus00 posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the JVN-10N is the original Javelin.

I'm still jumping everywhere I go.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

We have three mechs with jump jets. I expect to see a lot of DFAs.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So we are on Tharkad... Interesting. I guess I'll have to wait to see the actual map and the objectives before making any further comments on the mission, but I wouldn't be surprised if Muk's scenario is correct.

Never played a BattleTech game in my life, so I'm not sure how these Light Mechs will work out. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Sair
May 11, 2007

KnoxZone posted:

We have three mechs with jump jets. I expect to see a lot of DFAs.

A good pilot in an Assassin can be downright scary.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Are there rules for a critical miss hitting a friend? Or can our speedy troops surround and SRM-punch and literal-punch the enemy at point blank?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Chronojam posted:

Are there rules for a critical miss hitting a friend? Or can our speedy troops surround and SRM-punch and literal-punch the enemy at point blank?

There are optional rules for misses hitting other targets.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Longinus00 posted:

There are optional rules for misses hitting other targets.

Well, the mission objectives say to avoid unnecessary collateral damage, so I can see that as being a bad thing...

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

It will also be nice seeing light mechs running around after all the nearly stationary assaults of the previous mission. Hopefully they have room to jump around like little bunnies in the middle of Tharkad.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I really like little mechs that look like slabs of steel Sheet metal welded together. :3:

Light Mechs are the best. :colbert:

Edit: steel might be lostech.

Popy fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 21, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This thread's actually made me go back and play with lights and mediums in MW4. For my current playthrough I've been rolling with a lance full of Cougars and/or Stormcrows, sometimes leading with a slightly heavier mech with a NARC and LBX10 or 20 if I'm going much heavier.

They tear the hell out of much larger mechs, each equipped with an SRM6 and pulse lasers; the SRM6 alpha strikes have been knocking down heavy mechs especially in conjunction with LBX hits. They also seem to survive fights a lot better than I'd expect (although being pegged by lucky Gauss rounds is their downfall). My old tactic of "biggest mechs with biggest guns" is nowhere near as fun as this, and I used the little babby lance to defeat and capture that one clanner late in the game.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Popy posted:

I really like little mechs that look like slabs of steel Sheet metal welded together. :3:

Light Mechs are the best. :colbert:

Edit: steel might be lostech.

Don't be silly. Just stainless.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dominus Caedis posted:

Also I am piloting the only mech that lacks SRMs so player luck is going to be a big factor with all those crit-seekers flying about.

You're right - this will be hilarious.

Avoid collateral damage
:advicedog:
Use SRMs in the city

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

The Javelin bothers me a bit, just because I don't like the idea of totally running out of ammo.

Not even room for one Small Laser?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Fists don't need ammo.

It's also got 15 shots per launcher, which is going to last longer than its armor does.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Felime posted:

Don't be silly. Just stainless.

Baritone announcer voice:

"In humanity's grimdark distant future, only a race of genetically-engineered supersoldiers and a mysterious cult to an ancient technology have access to high-quality, low-cost cookware."

Cut to Will Smith cooking up a plate of eggs on a rusty, cast-iron skillet. "Aw, hell no!"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Chronojam posted:

This thread's actually made me go back and play with lights and mediums in MW4. For my current playthrough I've been rolling with a lance full of Cougars and/or Stormcrows, sometimes leading with a slightly heavier mech with a NARC and LBX10 or 20 if I'm going much heavier.

They tear the hell out of much larger mechs, each equipped with an SRM6 and pulse lasers; the SRM6 alpha strikes have been knocking down heavy mechs especially in conjunction with LBX hits. They also seem to survive fights a lot better than I'd expect (although being pegged by lucky Gauss rounds is their downfall). My old tactic of "biggest mechs with biggest guns" is nowhere near as fun as this, and I used the little babby lance to defeat and capture that one clanner late in the game.

Mw4 mercs throws ou mediums and lights a bit longer than mw4 honestly i feel the game is best at the 75 - 85 ton range, enough armor to withstand bullshit AI "luck shots" and enough tonnage to carry your bread and butter guns. In veteran and elite however, the computer simply does not miss. So you end up getting mechs that are the hardest to CT core due to super structure, or stuff. The Mad Cat is worthless in this respect since it's torpedo front can sometimes be hit behind walls and places the other player/ai can't see.

Hit boxes sadly dictate it in the upper teirs :geno:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So you'll rely on massed, possibly swiftly utilized firepower. Hoping you won't hit any civilian targets.

:munch:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Baritone announcer voice:

"In humanity's grimdark distant future, only a race of genetically-engineered supersoldiers and a mysterious cult to an ancient technology have access to high-quality, low-cost cookware."

Cut to Will Smith cooking up a plate of eggs on a rusty, cast-iron skillet. "Aw, hell no!"

Don't knock cast iron, that poo poo's perfect for eggs, unless cooking oil is lostech too.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Felime posted:

Don't knock cast iron, that poo poo's perfect for eggs, unless cooking oil is lostech too.

It is worse than you fear.

Eggs are lostech. :(

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A unit of squishies, in the capital of the Lyran Commonwealth. If we're up against any decent Lyran-sized machines, you need to get lucky a half-dozen times, they need to get lucky once. Use terrain and swift movement as much as possible: One good roll from anything worthwhile and it's auf wiedershern.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's neat the insurgents are fielding "Commando" and "Assassin" mechs, considering their mission!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Felime posted:

It's just a movie, I don't need your cookware sperging, man!

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

KnightLight posted:

The Javelin bothers me a bit, just because I don't like the idea of totally running out of ammo.

Not even room for one Small Laser?

It is equipped with a pair of feet. It may get disarmed, but it will never be defeeted.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Chair In A Basket posted:

It is equipped with a pair of feet. It may get disarmed, but it will never be defeeted.

That is what Samantha said.

And then she was.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Chair In A Basket posted:

I've got an axe to grind with you over that pun. It really makes me want to claw my eyes out or take a flying leap into a combine. Urgh, this is an awful chain. Saw this coming a mile away.

Wrecking Ball.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

That is what Samantha said.

And then she was.

She was never defeated, only disarmed. No Clanner can ever truly defeat a Guardsman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Tempest_56 posted:

Nah, the Assassin actually has the mobility to make the loadout count, as opposed to the SHD which moves at your standard medium speed and has a whopping 3 jump jets.

• Locked thread