Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I was hoping I could get some advice on polishing my resume. I'm a graduating English major, and I want to try and get into either reading slush somewhere, entry-level editor's assistant type stuff, editorial internships, just something to get my foot in the door to get started towards editing, proofing, etc.
Ok, this resume is not good. You don't have any relevant work experience or explicit extracurriculars (which you acknowledged in your post), so you're going to have to make this skills-based and do some creative justifying. Think of this as a particularly tough persuasive essay in bullet form.

Do you have any publications? Even in the crappy school journal? Do you have any volunteer work? Make your Eagle Scout project its own section and talk about all the organizing/leadership work you did for that (I don't suppose it was in any way publishing/literacy related was it?) Did you do any large projects or a thesis for your classes? Were they publishing related?

Next, the point of a resume is to show them that you are capable of doing this job. So far what we have is you are capable of getting good grades, which is nice but not a very good metric. SKILLS! What can you do? What have you done that proves his? What will an agency or a publisher want to know that you can do?

For one, having basic computer skills are absolutely crucial to the job. Do you know Indesign, Quark, Acrobat, Photoshop? At the very least, highlight MS Office and database/spreadsheet skills.

Education is taking up most of the page, when all that information could be easily pared down into 2 lines. B.A. English, Blah College 2011, minors in xyz, GPA 3.86 (Dean's List). Resist the urge to pad this. Instead think of new creative ways to sell your experiences/skills.

And god, ditch your terrible arrow bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

resume stuff

Building off of what Defenstration said (make the education 2-lines, please God no arrow bullet points, etc.) , you really need to make this more specific to the sorts of jobs you're applying for (so magazines of all shapes, publishing houses, literary agencies, I'm assuming).

I actually have worked for a couple of magazines, in unpaid positions, and you'd be surprised at how computer illiterate a lot of people in the whole spectrum of publishing can be. Sure, there'll be the odd person or two who does a lot of the layout who is brilliant at Photoshop and InDesign, but that's the exception, not the rule. Computer experience should definitely go down, though you might want to fluctuate how much and how specific it is for each job application (depending on how tech savvy/hopelessly outdated the company seems to be, the age of the managing editors, etc. etc.). List stuff like familiarity with Microsoft Office/Microsoft Works/etc, whether you have experience with PCs or Mac or both, ANYTHING to do with Adobe InDesign (even if you've just dicked around in a free trial a little, put something like "basic proficiency in Adobe InDesign") or any of the Adobe Suite programs, and also if you know Quark put that down too. Have you used Wordpress or Joomla to build a website? Mention that. Can you make a really lovely basic website in HTML and CSS? Mention that too.

Have you worked on any publications/in any sort of editorial capacity in the past - even if just for a short time, or unpaid? I would definitely mention that in the work history.

Also, like Defenestration said, if you're published anywhere, even somewhere lovely, put that on there as well.

Mostly, if you're looking for the kind of job I think you're looking for, editors are looking for someone who's

1. A halfway decent writer.
2. But more importantly, a writer with no grammatical/spelling errors.
3. Someone who's well read.
4. And who knows their way around the computer.
5. Who can take on responsibility without anyone needing to tell them to, and can fix problems on their own.
6. And who likes working in editing, can work well as part of a staff, etc.

The very entry level positions aren't probably going to be paid (like reading slush, editorial internships), but the main criteria is usually enthusiasm and interest in the publication. It really doesn't matter where you went to school, and lots of details about your education are irrelevant (although, the fact that you've studied in Estonia and St. Petersburg might be of interest to some places - do you speak any Russian, as well? Again, I'd put that - some places, esp. reading slush-wise, look for people with different experiences/cultural backgrounds so that not all of the stories are judged by the same exact sort of person, if that makes any sense at all.)

Best of luck getting a job somewhere. I love working for magazines, it's a lot of fun. Reading slush is a scary wonderful carnival of crazy.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Following on the heels of Oldsrocket_27, would y'all mind taking a look at my resume. I'd like to move laterally from textbook publishing to online publishing/editorial, but I'm not sure that this resume is competitive. Would y'all mind taking a look and giving me a little feedback?

Resume

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Gray Ghost posted:

Following on the heels of Oldsrocket_27, would y'all mind taking a look at my resume. I'd like to move laterally from textbook publishing to online publishing/editorial, but I'm not sure that this resume is competitive. Would y'all mind taking a look and giving me a little feedback?

Resume
This looks like a competitive resume to me (but I am in textbook publishing and have no desire to move to online). If you're looking to do more writing I'd highlight your feature work and awards in that area.

In general you have a lot of good stuff that is getting lost in a wall of text. Change your layout/font so that you get better spacing. Also edit those descriptions down as much as you can and be consistent in your punctuation (periods on the ends of bullets etc)

The toastmasters bit is a nice touch but the sentence is way clunky.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SVU Fan posted:

I've been going to a traditional CSU since right out of highschool and I just don't enjoy it, and feel like I'm not gaining anything that would help me with a future career in what I'm interested. I felt like I could pursue a BA there while learning 3d art stuff on my own time, but recently I gave up and started looking into going to an Art school; Academy of Art in San Francisco to be more specific. My passion lies in being a stylized character artist, and at this point I just don't know what I should be doing to make that more than just a fun hobby I've had since I was a kid. I started learning most of the major 3d programs, but I'm indecisive and I'd love to do 3d art as well as traditional sculpting and stop motion and and and blah blah blah a million other things. A big problem that came up for me also is that it seems like 90% of the jobs that come from this type of schooling or even this type of art is geared towards the game industry, which I am not interested in doing full time.

Is the Art Academy the place for me? Would it be as beneficial to me as I'm hoping it would be? Would I be able to live out my dreams of working on Tim Burton sets for the rest of my life doing fun stuff, or am I doing just that, dreaming? It's a pretty big commitment for me as I just turned 21 and not sure I'm too far into learning on my own to try to just now start schooling for this stuff.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as it'll pretty much determine the next 4 years of my life. Thanks a lot guys :)

I would finish your CSU degree [which will cost less than a single year at the Academy] and then work on that stuff as a hobby. Hook up with some film students at your current school and try to make something. If you want to do stop motion acquiring $100,000 of debt to get started is not practical and they don't even teach that at the AAU.

I have a lot of feelings about the Academy, most of them very negative. That said I didn't go there but I know a shitload of people who used to go there and they all regret it.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Defenestration posted:

This looks like a competitive resume to me (but I am in textbook publishing and have no desire to move to online). If you're looking to do more writing I'd highlight your feature work and awards in that area.

In general you have a lot of good stuff that is getting lost in a wall of text. Change your layout/font so that you get better spacing. Also edit those descriptions down as much as you can and be consistent in your punctuation (periods on the ends of bullets etc)

The toastmasters bit is a nice touch but the sentence is way clunky.

Thanks for this. I'm still pretty clueless about making the shift (or if it's even worth attempting), but I really appreciate the advice.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Do well-maintained/written blogs work well at all for one's resume and experience these days as a writer? I've been thinking of starting one up that's not just my junky WordPress, which I've only used a couple times for writing about music or some specific interest. I've seen some places ask for writing samples, and wonder if something like that would look good. That and attention in some way would always be good.

I've kind of been torn between doing that and actually getting myself working on a novel I've had in mind for a long time, and as bad at it as I am, I'd maybe like to try and focus my efforts. I'm still in the midst of studying but something to do while I'm working and getting experience (although completely unrelated to writing) would be good for me. Sorry for the bit of E/N.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Sulk posted:

Do well-maintained/written blogs work well at all for one's resume and experience these days as a writer? I've been thinking of starting one up that's not just my junky WordPress, which I've only used a couple times for writing about music or some specific interest. I've seen some places ask for writing samples, and wonder if something like that would look good. That and attention in some way would always be good.

I've kind of been torn between doing that and actually getting myself working on a novel I've had in mind for a long time, and as bad at it as I am, I'd maybe like to try and focus my efforts. I'm still in the midst of studying but something to do while I'm working and getting experience (although completely unrelated to writing) would be good for me. Sorry for the bit of E/N.
Blogs are not what they mean when they ask for writing samples (unless maybe if they are a blog). Your blog will only matter if it gets very popular. Beyond that it's just for practice.

Start the novel. Write some clips for freelance. Learn to use specific nouns when you write. (I only have the vaguest idea what your situation is here)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Defenestration posted:

Blogs are not what they mean when they ask for writing samples (unless maybe if they are a blog). Your blog will only matter if it gets very popular. Beyond that it's just for practice.

Start the novel. Write some clips for freelance. Learn to use specific nouns when you write. (I only have the vaguest idea what your situation is here)

It's mostly just that. I'm working 25-30 hours a week, finishing school up and want to build my writing portfolio because I can't stand my boring 9-5 style job.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

qirex posted:

I would finish your CSU degree [which will cost less than a single year at the Academy] and then work on that stuff as a hobby. Hook up with some film students at your current school and try to make something. If you want to do stop motion acquiring $100,000 of debt to get started is not practical and they don't even teach that at the AAU.

I have a lot of feelings about the Academy, most of them very negative. That said I didn't go there but I know a shitload of people who used to go there and they all regret it.

drat. Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on why you don't like the Academy of Art? I just took a tour of the place on Tuesday and I got pretty psyched on going. But I'd rather not if it's going to be a huge waste of money and I wont learn anything to show for it!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Well I mainly don't like the academy because it keeps buying buildings in my neighborhood and filling them with spoiled 19-year-old douchebags in white ray-bans who like to leave trash in my doorway. Also because they don't offer a level of education that's congruent with their tuition. They advertise on TV during cartoon shows. They have a game design course. They don't pay the teachers much. Hell, they own a building on Van Ness specifically to house the owner's $3 million pre-war car collection. Most people I know who went there are unemployed, not working in their field or barely scraping by. Your first few jobs are going to pay crap and that's easier to stomach without a giant loan payment.

Their sales team is slick as hell though, I'll give them that.

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

my brain thinks bomb-like
I've got a quick question (I hope). Right now, I have a briefcase-style aluminum portfolio that fits sheets of 15x20" mat board. It's pretty cumbersome, I'm gonna be honest. I've been mounting pieces and filing them in this thing for a few years now, and I've landed plenty of freelance and part-time jobs with it. I'm starting to get worried that maybe it is too large, and I am considering getting a portfolio (with leaves that are removable, but require undoing the posts) that is only 11x14".

Now, is that too small? I would be mounting on black bristol (different from my mat board I use now) printed pieces scaled way down (with clear hinge strips for the book itself). Even when I can print them at 11x17", they're still scaled way down if they're posters (a couple of which are A0). I would be leaving a 1-1.5" border around the pieces, so that'd give me a live area of either 9x12 or 8x11 for my work (again, only if these are posters). I'd be mounting my brochures and booklets aligned either to the left or right, not centered (so a book 5" wide in a sleeve cut to size would be only 1-1.5" from the left or from the right, not 3" from either).

I have been going to interviews with my big portfolio, and I have a really sweet thing coming up (plus portfolio reviews in for AIGA) that I want to be super-awesome for (besides just my work). What do you like to see better? Should I stick with my old setup, or do the more book-like thing?

Also, no matter what I do, under fluorescent lights my black mat boards look filthy, even before I touch them! :( What gives?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hi, I'm in the integrated marketing comm. class in the middle of loving Kansas and they have incredibly low standards.

This is the only thing I vaguely feel is up to my own imaginary standards I place on the program: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Value-Center-print-ads/1321651 is it terrible or mediocre? (emphasize the copy, which is what most interests me, the photos were taken with a low-level instant camera)

Really, I only have one teacher who works at a respectable agency, and the rest are complete poo poo. I don't plan on moving away from Wichita... but I'd like to pretend I have the potential to work somewhere else... like Oklahoma or Kansas City.

I really doubt I will jump into a masters program, but I would like a little edge over the other Kansan crap copywriters.

Merci.

If this is the wrong thread point me to the right one...

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

thylacine posted:

Hi, I'm in the integrated marketing comm. class in the middle of loving Kansas and they have incredibly low standards.

This is the only thing I vaguely feel is up to my own imaginary standards I place on the program: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Value-Center-print-ads/1321651 is it terrible or mediocre? (emphasize the copy, which is what most interests me, the photos were taken with a low-level instant camera)

Really, I only have one teacher who works at a respectable agency, and the rest are complete poo poo. I don't plan on moving away from Wichita... but I'd like to pretend I have the potential to work somewhere else... like Oklahoma or Kansas City.

I really doubt I will jump into a masters program, but I would like a little edge over the other Kansan crap copywriters.

Merci.

If this is the wrong thread point me to the right one...

Your text is really cramped in those boxes, and the typeface isn't super interesting either. It's not terrible, but it is kind of a boring design :( doesn't sound like your program has much to offer you though. If you have that low an opinion of it, you probably aren't going to get much out of it; I'd look elsewhere. I'm a design student in Oklahoma, actually, and while I love my program, I'd say you'd definitely want to shoot higher for places to work ;) doesn't seem like there's much going on down here as far as design goes.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

qirex posted:

Well I mainly don't like the academy because it keeps buying buildings in my neighborhood and filling them with spoiled 19-year-old douchebags in white ray-bans who like to leave trash in my doorway. Also because they don't offer a level of education that's congruent with their tuition. They advertise on TV during cartoon shows. They have a game design course. They don't pay the teachers much. Hell, they own a building on Van Ness specifically to house the owner's $3 million pre-war car collection. Most people I know who went there are unemployed, not working in their field or barely scraping by. Your first few jobs are going to pay crap and that's easier to stomach without a giant loan payment.

Their sales team is slick as hell though, I'll give them that.

Well I did a bunch more research about art schools and the standards I should have when finding the right one. As far as tuition goes, California College of Arts: SF is almost exactly twice the price of the Academy of Art. All that aside though, as steep as the prices may be, I don't really care too much if it's going to give me the proper education that will take my work to the level it needs to be. I'm worried about the CCA though because it seems like they have much less to offer in the fields I want to work in (3d character artist and modeler, traditional sculpting). Too many decisions :( Anybody got school experience at either of those schools or have general advice? Way too much conflicting reports on places like yelp.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

thylacine posted:

Stop justifying your text because you're getting weird spacing between words. Justified text only really works in rare circumstances.

The design looks like it was done in 5 minutes. Make lots of variations and edit down from there. If you're designing in Photoshop stop.

The middle photo has a lot of noise, and I wouldn't personally use it for anything without some heavy retouching.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 30, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SVU Fan posted:

Well I did a bunch more research about art schools and the standards I should have when finding the right one. As far as tuition goes, California College of Arts: SF is almost exactly twice the price of the Academy of Art. All that aside though, as steep as the prices may be, I don't really care too much if it's going to give me the proper education that will take my work to the level it needs to be. I'm worried about the CCA though because it seems like they have much less to offer in the fields I want to work in (3d character artist and modeler, traditional sculpting). Too many decisions :( Anybody got school experience at either of those schools or have general advice? Way too much conflicting reports on places like yelp.
I know very little about character design in academia. I do know that the academy has a single 3D professor so you'd better hope he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also know a fair number of people in film, animation, and FX and exactly zero of them have a degree from a dedicated art school.

In fields like this all academics do is potentially act as a multiplier for your personal talent and drive. That multiplier can be negative though, like the Academy's graphic design program that produces 30 identical mediocre-to-bad portfolios a year because the director of the program sucks and demands that everyone's work look exactly like hers. If you're really not concerned about cost I'd expand your search and try to find the school with the best program for what you want to do, if you're going to invest that much cash don't settle for what's local.

I'd be highly wary of any Yelp reviews of colleges, especially given the Academy's zest for rigorously maintaining their brand and massive online marketing efforts.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

thylacine posted:

You can't really say this when you've managed to spell 'indulge' as 'endulge' on your ad. You clearly haven't spellchecked or proofread it, which is a really bad sign for a copywriter.

ChakAttack
Apr 13, 2011

Has anyone gone to PAFA? I'm starting their post-baccalaureate Painting program this Fall and wanted to see if anyone could share first-hand experience with the school.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Can anyone in the UK advise me on how to apply for runner positions and production house apprenticeships for when I finish my filmmaking degree?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

saw this linked on a blog today, it's kind of cheesy but very true

Ira Glass posted:

Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

marshmallard posted:

You can't really say this when you've managed to spell 'indulge' as 'endulge' on your ad. You clearly haven't spellchecked or proofread it, which is a really bad sign for a copywriter.

Ice burn. To myself.

Thanks thread, I'll try harder.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I won an award with the misspelled project. What the hell.

Is there a critique thread? Or do you start your own thread if you want criticism?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

thylacine posted:

Is there a critique thread? Or do you start your own thread if you want criticism?

Post a new thread if you have a specific project you want concentrated feedback on.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Looking for general career/what-to-do advice:

I'm a big fan of writing and I feel like my own writing is pretty solid. I have a few short stories written up which I'm constantly editing as time goes on, and have recently started on a project with a novel being its ultimate end goal.

The thing is I feel like relying solely on a potential novel isn't the greatest way to get a start in the industry. I want to get my work out there in other respects and build a portfolio, but I'm unsure how to go about it. My local area is pretty rural and dead in terms of writing prospects, and searching online for places to submit seems like a constant battle to find publications that aren't dead or dying.

With my university career potentially ending soon, finding something applicable to my major (english) and which applies writing skills is causing heaps of stress. I would really enjoy something in even editing or copywriting, but the bar seems high for those positions.

Just wondering if there are others in this position or if anyone can nudge me on the right path when it comes to submissions.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I just finished my first year at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) as an undergrad with my desires set on working in the animation field. Yet whilst attending there I had a bit of a bubble pop, suddenly not only realizing that the school I was going to really didn't have as much of a focus on the animation department as I hoped they would, but Baltimore isn't really the best place to find a job or intern. Right now I plan on transferring to the School of Visual Arts (SVA) in Manhattan, which, from what I've seen offers a better location and department for animation. My biggest concern is what I might realize while studying at SVA. What will I learn about the industry while attending here? What's further down the road in my career path?

Basically I don't feel I know enough about the animation industry. Anyone with advice or insight on the field would be appreciated.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 14, 2011

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Looking for general career/what-to-do advice:

Where you want to submit your writing really depends a lot on what you write and how much you expect to get paid. There are many, many not dead-or-dying publications out there. A good general site that lots of writers like is duotrope.com. I don't know what work you writer/where you want your stuff to show up, but if we're talking your run-of-the-mill literary/mainstream writing, off the top of my head, The Atlantic Monthly, Poetry, The Georgia Review, The Missouri Review, Ploughshares, Michigan Quarterly, Iowa Review, The Indiana Review, New Letters, New England Review, Virginia Quarterly Review, etc. etc. etc. There are loads of great publications out there.

Although I'm just a university student myself (most of my knowledge comes from working for a few literary magazines and getting rejected lots from other magazines), I'm pretty drat sure there's no way that you'll be able to pay for your cost of living with just writing fiction, at least not for a while. Even if you write the most heartbreakingly beautiful prose ever, magazines just do not pay that much money, and novels don't pay too awesomely either, from what I've heard.

Editing and copywriting jobs are a little more feasible in the money department, and, if you're well read and polite and a competent writer and want it bad enough, an editing job can be not too hard to secure. Of course, you might not, you know, get paid for your first position. Try looking for an internship to get your foot in the door, maybe?

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

zaepg posted:

I just finished my first year at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) as an undergrad with my desires set on working in the animation field. Yet whilst attending there I had a bit of a bubble pop, suddenly not only realizing that the school I was going to really didn't have as much of a focus on the animation department as I hoped they would, but Baltimore isn't really the best place to find a job or intern. Right now I plan on transferring to the School of Visual Arts (SVA) in Manhattan, which, from what I've seen offers a better location and department for animation. My biggest concern is what I might realize while studying at SVA. What will I learn about the industry while attending here? What's further down the road in my career path?

Basically I don't feel I know enough about the animation industry. Anyone with advice or insight on the field would be appreciated.

Just anecdotally speaking, I've read that much of the VFX and animation work that you used to see out in California-based studios is being farmed out to animators in other countries (i.e. Lucasfilm Singapore makes the Cartoon Network Clone Wars series). While I honestly believe that that technical skillset will remain invaluable as the games and film industries continue to grow, it is defnitely worth taking into consideration when you look for work post-graduation.

Also, speaking as a New Yorker, I know a bunch of folks from SVA who really loved their education. For anyone who can make the cut, Blue Sky studios also almost always hires straight from SVA (being founded by SVA grads). One other place to consider might be Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). I've heard from friends that their animation program is really up-and-coming (be wary of the extension school in Georgia though).

New York is a very expensive city (probably the MOST expensive city), so check around and make sure that you are taking every opportunity you can to find scholarship money. Beef up that portfolio for portfolio scholarships. If you fall within a particular minority, you better already be leveraging that for money.

I know this is just an outsider's perspective (read: wannabe's perspective), but I hope it helps.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Thanks Grey Ghost, I avoided applying to SCAD simply because I saw better locational opportunities at SVA, but upon reconsideration I figure it can't do much harm in applying just in case.

Still would love to hear more people's thoughts about the industry.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
I hate to ask, mainly because I'm sure its been asked many times before, but I'm in need of advice.

This May, I graduated from WSU with a degree in English focusing on Creative Writing. Now that I'm out of the structured school environment I'm having trouble figuring out what to do next. I've looked over some advice in this thread and redone my resume as well as applied pretty much anywhere and everywhere where I live in the Seattle area (more specifically Edmonds) just to get some sort of cash flow coming in. I'm interested in the publishing industry with a long term goal of writing fiction in mind.

I'm currently in communication for a remote position interning for a publishing company. While it is paid, it's not paid much and I hate just sitting around while I wait to hear back from them and the few interviews I've done for local bookstores and the like.

Any advice on what to do? Are there particular positions I should have my eye out for? Any advice is welcome really.

Thanks

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Ah! Another thing I can help with!

monkeyboydc, I work with a textbook company in NYC as an editorial coordinator. If you can't get with a fiction or trade house, I wholeheartedly recommend starting out in textbooks. It's a lot more boring, but the environment is very stable and it offers plenty of opportunities for sales, marketing, and digital editorial work should you wish to branch out.

Also, the pace of the textbook industry is slow enough that you will definitely have spare time to work on your own manuscript and creative pursuits. However, I would say try to find a mid-to-large publisher as otherwise you run the risk of being overworked in a strained department with fewer hands.

Also, should you have trouble getting an in into fiction or trades (and that's really where you want to be) make sure to go to trade shows, author conventions, and professional group get-togethers to introduce yourself and put your name out there. Opportunities tend to come when you least expect it. I got headhunted by a publishing recruiter in the middle of an improv class, for instance.

Hope that helps.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
Alright, thanks very much for the advice! I'll do some searches into textbook publishing and see if there are any upcoming conventions and the like in the area.

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

I recently graduated with a degree in graphic design. I have done a lot of in-house/freelance, and I am sure that I want to either work in a studio or agency setting. I have been interviewing with some biggish agencies for junior positions (Designer, Junior Studio Designer), but I'm not sure if I got them. I really have no idea how to approach applying to studios, though — I haven't even landed an interview. I understand they hire infrequently, and are generally close-knit. I'm friends with several studio owners and I will be doing freelance for one studio, but still, that's just freelance! I want to be on the team.

So, regarding that, I have a couple of questions:

For agencies, I have only been contacted by HR. I have applied to other agencies with no response, including an agency that contacted me a day later and the contact had nothing to do with my application. Does this mean that my cover letter is awful? I've gotten bites from in-house, but never agencies unless they contact me first (for example, I have never been contacted by Mullen despite my several applications and résumé updates). Am I missing some key part of HR navigation?

I have received advice for "applying" to studios: print out a letter about why you love them and why they should have you for an informational interview, and then mail a hard copy. Is this good advice? Is it typical?

Separate from that, I applied for a junior editorial design position and I stalked out the lead designer on LinkedIn. I have absolutely no connections within the magazine, and I'm afraid that I'll get lost in the number of applicants. The woman is a second-degree connection. Is it inappropriate to introduce myself?

Also, I'm working with a creative staffing agency and they keep letting me know about freelance opps (though I don't want to do freelance mainly) and they set up a few interviews for me. Am I wasting my time, or is a foot in the door a foot in the door? I haven't heard too many positive things about staffing agencies but it doesn't seem too harmful...

Sorry for the confusing post, it's super awkward being a new grad and literally surviving off of freelance for now.

Edit: not that living off of freelance is a bad thing — just a new thing for me!

viragosa fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 23, 2011

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I don't have any hard statistics but I know of at least a couple people who got hired on long-term after doing freelance work for studios. If you really want to work at the studio, I would say take the freelance gig and prove that you can do good work. About a third of the design positions I looked at on Craigslist while I was looking for a job said "Freelance with the opportunity for full-time employment" somewhere in the description.

A studio that is contracting out freelance work might be unnofficially looking for new hires without announcing a position until they have a good idea of who they want to offer the position to, or is so swamped with work that they will be looking for new hires soon.

Not saying that any of the above is true, maybe they just need a one-time quick fix but it seems to me that you have nothing to lose by taking the freelance gig from the studio.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I figure if you're right out of school your focus should be on building your portfolio and learning to work with clients/teammates and freelancing for an agency would probably help with both of those.

My [giant corporate] employer pretty much only hires people through contract-to-perm, it's very common for in-house positions around here.

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep it for future reference! Luckily, I was just offered a job at an international agency as a junior designer! My dreams came true!

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Hey, I'm 18 and interested in an eventual career in game design. I was wondering if any of you currently in the game industry (especially game designers or people in Vancouver, BC) could tell me what you think I should be doing right now if I want to get into that field in the future.

I'm currently looking for jobs in testing/QA as I hear that that is a good way to start networking with people in the industry and get some at least somewhat related work experience on my resume. Is this true/is this a good idea/where do you suggest I go to find testing jobs without previous experience? Internet listings for this are pretty sparse.

Right now I'm planning on going to school in 2012, and am looking at the various colleges and universities in Vancouver, BC where I live. I've heard that with the exception of VFS, most "game design" programs are not thought very highly of. I'm much more interested in design and writing than I am in programming -- though I am learning a little code and intend on knowing basics to facilitate communication and be able to do scripting, etc. Am I shooting myself in the foot if I take a non-computer science program? Can you tell me anything else that will help?

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

The Good Professor posted:

I'm currently looking for jobs in testing/QA as I hear that that is a good way to start networking with people in the industry and get some at least somewhat related work experience on my resume. Is this true/is this a good idea/where do you suggest I go to find testing jobs without previous experience? Internet listings for this are pretty sparse.

I'm not in game design myself, but I have a few good friends who are. The general consensus from them on testing is that it's the worst job in the industry and doesn't actually do much for getting your foot in the door. Also, testing is way shittier that a lot of aspiring game designers seem to think. Wanna bash your space marine against the same spot on the wall 400 times so that you can replicate a glitch that sometimes happens?

quote:

Right now I'm planning on going to school in 2012, and am looking at the various colleges and universities in Vancouver, BC where I live. I've heard that with the exception of VFS, most "game design" programs are not thought very highly of. I'm much more interested in design and writing than I am in programming -- though I am learning a little code and intend on knowing basics to facilitate communication and be able to do scripting, etc. Am I shooting myself in the foot if I take a non-computer science program? Can you tell me anything else that will help?

There's a big art/design side to game design - it's not all programming. You'll see a mix of designers, artists, and programmers with varied educational backgrounds at any game firm.

As for 'game design' schools, I hear they're a waste of time and money too. Do undergrad in whatever (maybe design!), and then check this program out. Only seriously legit program I really know of.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The Good Professor posted:

Check this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, the game dev thread is where you want to post your questions. The short of it is publisher QA is the poo poo pile whereas developer QA does have some growth potential and is a bit better.

Game design degrees are mostly laughable, especially as opposed to a real degree like English, art, communications, programming/maths, etc.